• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

LM4sure

Banned
This looks cool, and I love westerns, but I am not such a fan of these sandbox games anymore. I really did not like GTAIV, and it seems this very similar, only set in the west back in the 1900's.

I remember how IGN raved about GTAIV's online, but lets be honest, it was awful. From the eurogamer review, it looks like the online modes are similar to GTAIV. I think I'll just add this to my queue on Goozex and wait for it to drop to less than 500 points.

Man, I'm getting kinda worried about the PS3 version. But I fucking hate my 360, unreliable piece of shit started randomly rebooting when I wanted to get going with Alan Wake yesterday. I guess I hate having to rely on the 360 more than some framedrops in the PS3 version... so I'll go with the PS3.

Ledsen said:
Eurogamer is the only online source I give any credit to, and their review was refreshingly critical when compared to all the hyperbole from other sources. They also scored RDR the same as Far Cry 2 (one of my favourite games), so I'm good :D

Didn't they have a raging hard on that RE5 was racist?

NHale

Rapping Granny said:
8.7 incoming.

IGN almost never gives different scores for different plataforms, unless the difference between versions is like night and day.

They often delay the review of 1 version of the game when they don't receive both versions. Even last week they did it with Skate 3 and both versions received the same score.

gamefly shipped mine for 360, promptly hit the keep it and they are shipping me the box and everything now.

so I got RDR for 360 basically new for a final price of 42.99 not bad.

Goldrusher

What we have so far...

♦ 100.0% | PlayStation Official Magazine UK
♦ 100.0% | Official XBOX Magazine (UK)
♦ 100.0% | PSM3 (UK)
♦ 100.0% | Gamereactor (DK)
♦ 100.0% | guardian.co.uk
♦   98.0% | IGN (UK)
♦   97.5% | Game Informer (US)
♦   97.0% | IGN (US)
♦   95.0% | CVG (UK)
♦   95.0% | Cynamite.de
♦   95.0% | GamePro.de
♦   94.0% | 9lives.be
♦   92.0% | Games Aktuell (DE)
♦   90.0% | gamesTM (UK)
♦   90.0% | Eurogamer (IT)
♦   80.0% | Eurogamer (UK)

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Glad to see we're all mature enough not to bash a site for over or under scoring it. That is not sarcasm.

That said, I do wonder whoever started the notion that if an outlet scores one game X/10, that other reviews have to heed that established score base. ("Euro gave IV a 10/10, so this should..." etc.)

Each review is a separate opinion piece, often written by separate individuals. While there should be a set of editorial principles, writing guidelines, and style choices established for any given publication, you just can't say that every author's experience need to be in line with every other author's for that pub.

It isn't fast food - every McDonalds burger SHOULD taste the same. Each reviewer is going to have a unique experience, and it's on us to believe that they've done their best to attribute a number to match that experience.

(How someone could say a game is a 9.8 and not a 9.9 or 9.7 is another question all together... I just don't get the 100 point scale.)

So, you know, I'm max hyped for this game too, but I'll never hate on someone who says it's only an 8 out of 10.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
NHale said:
IGN rarely gives different scores for different plataforms, unless the difference is like night and day.

They often delay the review of 1 version of the game when they don't receive both versions. Even last week they did it with Skate 3 and both versions received the same score.

I don't think they will give the PS3 a lower score. Plus, as the other reviews have pointed out, they're basically the same game.

FrankT

CitizenCope said:
I think tomorrow will be the first time I've bought two games in one day (AW & RDR) since I had no bills and owned a shiny new PSONE.

Can't say the last time I recall picking up two games on the same day either.

ZombieSupaStar said:
gamefly shipped mine for 360, promptly hit the keep it and they are shipping me the box and everything now.

Oh yea that is a nice deal.

Fallout-NL said:
Man, I'm getting kinda worried about the PS3 version. But I fucking hate my 360, unreliable piece of shit started randomly rebooting when I wanted to get going with Alan Wake yesterday. I guess I hate having to rely on the 360 more than some framedrops in the PS3 version... so I guess I'll go with the PS3.

I'm in the same boat. 360 failed twice to install a game this weekend. Looks like the disc drive is going. Was planning on grabbing that version but I may grab it for PS3 just to be safe.

sdornan

ZombieSupaStar said:

Plus the cost of GameFly. ;)

Loudninja

Goldrusher said:
What we have so far...

♦ 100.0% | PlayStation Official Magazine UK
♦ 100.0% | Official XBOX Magazine (UK)
♦ 100.0% | PSM3 (UK)
♦ 100.0% | Gamereactor (DK)
♦ 100.0% | guardian.co.uk
♦   98.0% | IGN (UK)
♦   97.5% | Game Informer (US)
♦   97.0% | IGN (US)
♦   95.0% | CVG (UK)
♦   95.0% | Cynamite.de
♦   95.0% | GamePro.de
♦   94.0% | 9lives.be
♦   92.0% | Games Aktuell (DE)
♦   90.0% | gamesTM (UK)
♦   90.0% | Eurogamer (IT)
♦   80.0% | Eurogamer (UK)

Here is the link to that PSM3 review
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246882&site=psm

Prine said:
I think we can safely say, Rockstar are among the best developers in the industry, ever since GTA3 they've consistently (ok forget state of emergency) put out AAA games. For consoles and handhelds.

I cannot wait for this, awkwardly being released in UK on a Monday. Ash cloud??

Rockstar as a whole is also responsible for Smugglers Run, Warriors, Table Tennis etc. not so amazing series.

But regarding a best developer i think thats for another topic :D

Zeliard

nskinnear said:
New screens:

RSG_RDR_Screenshot_440.jpg.jpg

RSG_RDR_Screenshot_411.jpg.jpg

RSG_RDR_Screenshot_413.jpg.jpg

RSG_RDR_Screenshot_436.jpg.jpg

Such lovely time-of-day lighting. Goes really nicely with rural landscapes.

And horses. Horses are so awesome.

Barrett2

NHale said:
IGN almost never gives different scores for different plataforms, unless the difference between versions is like night and day.

I'd say more than likely this is due to most game sites not actually playing both versions of a game. There are so many examples of sports games, in particular, where there was a significant difference between the two, yet sites gave both versions the same score. Isn't this one of the well known dirty secrets of game reviews, they don't *actually* play both versions of the game most of the time?

I would think they usually play through one version completely, then check to make sure the other version isn't a trainwreck. If it isn't, they just slap the same review up for both versions.

Esteban

Banned
Red Dead Redemption: 360 & PS3 Identical

Source : Nowgamer

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/3178/red-dead-redemption-360-amp-ps3-identical

"We've played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game and we can categorically state that - other than a 600mb install on the Sony console - they're virtually identical."

"While some games suffer platform-specific differences in terms of vertical-sync and refresh rate issues we noticed nothing of the sort in Red Dead."

Gravijah said:
I bet the person who wrote that has Mass Effect novels, World War Z, Dexter novels and D&D manuals on his bookshelf.

Given his choice of key points (unlockables? WTF? That's his deluxe editions collector side speaking), plus his inability to formulate 5 different comments in the final grid, i'd say you can bet on that :D

wait, if you click the review again , it appears that someone gave him some help

:lol

Esteban said:

"We've played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game and we can categorically state that - other than a 600mb install on the Sony console - they're virtually identical."

"While some games suffer platform-specific differences in terms of vertical-sync and refresh rate issues we noticed nothing of the sort in Red Dead."
Waaaay too late for that kind of rubbish now!

sdornan

From IGN review:

" You could spend hours just riding around trying to track down all of the components of a new outfit for Marston, or hunting wild game and picking herbs and desert flowers."

I actually hadn't heard about either of these things. What are the herbs and flowers used for? Just a collectible?

CozMick

Banned
Esteban said:

This is very, VERY good to hear!

sdornan said:
From IGN review:

" You could spend hours just riding around trying to track down all of the components of a new outfit for Marston, or hunting wild game and picking herbs and desert flowers."

I actually hadn't heard about either of these things. What are the herbs and flowers used for? Just a collectible?

I think you can sell some of this stuff. I saw it in a video the other day.

Darklord

Banned
sdornan said:
From IGN review:

Yeah, I can't wait to...pick flowers. :\

dread9

Banned
Esteban said:

My co-worker says this is all full of fail and lies.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
bigdaddygamebot said:
Well if IGN says so...

o_O

Do people REALLY need a number attached to this in order to justify purchasing it?

It's fucking RockStar and it's fucking cowboys.

??

My game is fully paid off, but I want any info I can get to kill time until 12:01am...

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Esteban said:

:lol

shwimpy

nskinnear said:

EDITOR'S NOTE: The PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption was not made available to us at the time of review, so this review focuses exclusively on the Xbox 360 version. We will post impressions of the PS3 version, including thoughts on the exclusive content, as soon as we are able.

WTF is going on? Why is Rockstar so damn secretive about the PS3 version?

Top Bottom