• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Dabanton

BenjaminBirdie said:
Reading the Eurogamer review, it actually never occurred to me that RDR would have the kind of supporting cast GTAIV does. Having those kinds of partners, etc, in the Wild Wild West?

ZOMG

Check out the character profiles on the R* site some pretty interesting people that Marston is going to be coming across.

Dude Abides

Banned
Stupid reviews keep mentioning ragdoll physics. If even I understand the difference between Euphoria and ragdoll people who review games for a living should know it also.

Yoshi256

Banned
Gamepro.de says the Xbox 360 version has deeper and more checkered colours.
And the PS3 version has sometimes viewable texture reloading.

Dabanton said:
Check out the character profiles on the R* site some pretty interesting people that Marston is going to be coming across.

I think i might actually save the surprise. Be nice to just kind of stumble across these misfits.

Zeliard

BenjaminBirdie said:
Reading the Eurogamer review, it actually never occurred to me that RDR would have the kind of supporting cast GTAIV does. Having those kinds of partners, etc, in the Wild Wild West?

ZOMG

And you're all on horses, during gameplay.

Just the visual alone of you and your posse on horses in a gunfight against a bunch of other bandits on horses, while riding at high speeds.... Plus Euphoria just adds to it all. Shoot a horse in the legs and watch him buckle, and probably throw the rider 10 feet forward.

I'm mostly gonna try to go for the riders, though, instead of the horses. Another awesome sight will be nailing a bandit in the head while he's gunning forward on a horse, and as he flies back, the horse just keeps going with nobody on it. Plus it's more challenging that way.

And man, the audio design is amazing. Can't wait to strap on a pair of HD-595s with this game. I want to bask in the atmosphere.

Tomorrow, arrive sooner, won't you?

EzLink

Banned
This is my first time using Amazon's release date delivery... I haven't gotten an email yet confirming that they have shipped it. Should I just assume that will come later today?

And obviously this will vary by location, but for those who have done release date delivery from amazon before what time is it usually delivered?

I think after work tonight I'm going to take some sleeping pills, not set an alarm, sleep till noon and hope its already here by the time I wake up

Klocker

Can someone remind me, in MP do the character "upgrades" add ability to your character ('ala MW2) as in better weapons/perks?

Or is it just cosmetic for fun? If for perks I'll have a hard time staying in my SP game so I don't get too far behind in Multi. :D

Dabanton

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think i might actually save the surprise. Be nice to just kind of stumble across these misfits.

Actually that would be wise. There only basic profiles but meeting them on your own steam will be more fun.

Klocker said:
Can someone remind me, in MP do the character "upgrades" add ability to your character ('ala MW2) as in better weapons/perks?

Or is it just cosmetic for fun? If for perks I'll have a hard time staying in my SP game so I don't get too far behind in Multi. :D
actually I think we've been shown perks are not in, at least from MP video they show. Thank God too, perks are easily the worst idea ever in a shooter of any kind.

Zeliard said:
And you're all on horses, during gameplay.

Just the visual alone of you and your posse on horses in a gunfight against a bunch of other bandits on horses, while riding at high speeds.... Plus Euphoria just adds to it all. Shoot a horse in the legs and watch him buckle, and probably throw the rider 10 feet forward.

I'm mostly gonna try to go for the riders, though, instead of the horses. Another awesome sight will be nailing a bandit in the head while he's gunning forward on a horse, and as he flies back, the horse just keeps going with nobody on it. Plus it's more challenging that way.

And man, the audio design is amazing. Can't wait to strap on a pair of HD-595s with this game. I want to bask in the atmosphere.

Tomorrow, arrive sooner, won't you?

Plus music I heard in the streams sounds epically perfect. Add in Rockstar's trademark cutscene mastery and yeah, pretty much Game Of All Time.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
EzLink said:
This is my first time using Amazon's release date delivery... I haven't gotten an email yet confirming that they have shipped it. Should I just assume that will come later today?

I don't think I got an email to confirm shipment. I always just checked the My Orders page. Don't worry, though, you can trust Amazon. You'll get it tomorrow.

Klocker

BobTheFork said:
actually I think we've been shown perks are not in, at least from MP video they show. Thank God too, perks are easily the worst idea ever in a shooter of any kind.

sweet!

then I can take my good old time in SP and hop into MP at my leisure. :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
BenjaminBirdie said:

ZOMG

I saw on one of the streams one of the supporting characters and the writing was as sharp as ever. It's going to be sweet.

MMaRsu

Fuck you guys with your tomorrow :(

I want this game now not fucking friday. Wish Alan Wake could have come on the 21 and RDR on the 14th instead :p.

MMaRsu said:

I want this game now not fucking friday. Wish Alan Wake could have come on the 21 and RDR on the 14th instead :p.
I feel you - I went with free shipping from amazon, and will likely be out of town by the time it gets here. Probably won't get my first crack at this game till sunday night.

Glad to hear that the impressions for both versions are coming in about on par.

FrankT

MMaRsu said:

Will have both in mah hands in about 12 hours. :D

Dorfdad

Gold Member
MikeE21286 said:
Glad to hear that since I have the PS3 version on pre-order from Amazon, and it has already shipped since I had release day delivery. Interested to see one of the lens of truth comparisions, but I don't wanna kill myself the way I did when GTA4 came out. I'm just going to enjoy this.

Also, if any of you guys are still deciding where to get the game, they are giving away a $20 Amazon gift card (gift card, not video game credit) with your purchase.

What a pikle of shit.. Honestly these sites suck.. Explain to me how Magus has played both versions and posted quite a bit of detail on the differences, but these sites get a pass by saying the are identical when they are not.

I'm a gamer have all systems and when I hear 360 has less pop-in, less tearing, better framerate, and color even if these are very small differences I wan't to know that.. I have Tv I paid out the ass for and when I play games I wan't the BEST edition. Not some PR bullshit..

I have decided to get the 360 version. Something is up with this if Rockstar wanted to promote the PS3 version they would have given reviews, and or demonstrated the PS3 version as well. There is a REASON they are not. Were not 100% sure why yet but there was a marketing reason this happened.

This leads me to believe that they Rockstar feel the 360 version is the one that they should showcase to sell the product.. I may be 100% wrong but something is up..

Chrange

Banned
Zeliard said:
In those random times where a bunch of crazy bandits run through town while dragging someone on a rope, if you follow them without doing anything, do they go back to their camp?
You know I never thought to do that instead of blasting them off their horses...

I would imagine they don't, since they'd see you following and just attack. I might try that though :lol

GeoramA said:
Keeping the hope alive :lol

This doesn't sound like a Bayonetta/Ghostbusters situation, so PS3 owners need to stop sweating.

Why so sure!? PS3 GTA IV wasn't too far off from that large a difference so it wouldn't surprise me if the same was true here as well. Prepare for a lower resolution and a ropier framerate and just hope nothing else is cut but you can basically guarantee it will be worse, the only issue is by how much. Not a single multiplatform game has been "identical" this generation, and that trend won't change (nor should it, as it'd mean artificially holding back the 360 version most of the time).

Managed to snag the game today on the 360, its just great so far, Im spending all my time doing random shit instead of the main missions, you really do feel like you're in the wild wild west here, its just good stuff all around.

EzLink said:

And obviously this will vary by location, but for those who have done release date deliver from amazon before what time is it usually delivered?

I think after work tonight I'm going to take some sleeping pills, not set an alarm, sleep till noon and hope its already here by the time I wake up
email: usually late evening, or later.
delivery: as you noted, depends greatly upon where you live. for me in the bay area, usually around 8:00am.

To comment on release-date delivery, it is godly. You may hear some complaints, but consider the volume of business Amazon is doing and the magnification the interwebs provides for any/all complaints.

of God damnit, I was just checking on my Amazon order status and for the first time It's telling me that I need to change my payment. They had my CC number listed and fine but the expiration date was messed up and they should have had it on record. I just fixed it but GD that had better not screw up my delivery time.

dreamer3kx said:
Managed to snag the game today on the 360, its just great so far, Im spending all my time doing random shit instead of the main missions, you really do feel like you're in the wild wild west here, its just good stuff all around.
Did you install it to the hard-drive? If yes, any issues you've found by doing so? Thanks.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Jtyettis said:
Will have both in mah hands in about 12 hours. :D

Me too... Get off Work in 3 hours, go stock up on the normal amount of alcohol, and enjoy two days offf with this game. Except for the Alan Wake part.

brain_stew said:
Why so sure!? PS3 GTA IV wasn't too far off from that large a difference so it wouldn't surprise me if the same was true here as well. Prepare for a lower resolution and a ropier framerate and just hope nothing else is cut but you can basically guarantee it will be worse, the only issue is by how much. Not a single multiplatform game has been "identical" this generation, and that trend won't change (nor should it, as it'd mean artificially holding back the 360 version most of the time).
The issue is the NOBODY wants to know what version runs better or even cares, they just want their opinion validated. PROOF: we've heard every single impression from the game, from ps3 version bad framerate , 360 version has tearing, and now we hear they are the same exactly. What happens? People just believe the review that says what they had already decided and laugh at the one that they already didn't believe. Harrisonford.gif

28uiwp1.jpg

The countdown continues.

soldat7

Something tells me the Eurogamer review will be an outlier...

IGN said:
A powerful story and remarkable characters. Tons of depth, but it doesn't quite have the perfect polish that most Rockstar games exhibit.

Comedy hour at IGN?

Top Bottom