• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Klocker

BobTheFork said:
actually I think we've been shown perks are not in, at least from MP video they show. Thank God too, perks are easily the worst idea ever in a shooter of any kind.

hey wait!

what about the donkey compared to horse? certainly a speed difference?

Flib said:
Anyone had any luck snagging an early release in NYC?

From what my buddy told me, the "mom and pop" stores that used to break street dates all the time have been cracked down on hard in the last few months. The one he frequented was handed a $50,000 fine. Best Buy Union Square midnight release it is!

Pooya

BobTheFork said:
The issue is the NOBODY wants to know what version runs better or even cares, they just want their opinion validated. PROOF: we've heard every single impression from the game, from ps3 version bad framerate , 360 version has tearing, and now we hear they are the same exactly. What happens? People just believe the review that says what they had already decided and laugh at the one that they already didn't believe. Harrisonford.gif
bah 360 version has tearing? that sucks :\.

Hari Seldon

Going to wait for the backlash wave to hit before I evaluate buying this. :lol

Fuck... just watched the video review on ign... cannot resit. My love for westerns is overcoming my hatred for rockstar lol.

Tr4nce

Hmm. I'm having a hard time really immersing myself into videogames the last years. I hope RDR will change that though. Reviews are looking great. PS3 version for me on Friday here in Europe!

BobTheFork said:
The issue is the NOBODY wants to know what version runs better or even cares, they just want their opinion validated. PROOF: we've heard every single impression from the game, from ps3 version bad framerate , 360 version has tearing, and now we hear they are the same exactly. What happens? People just believe the review that says what they had already decided and laugh at the one that they already didn't believe. Harrisonford.gif
In fairness, I'd like to go on record and state that there are a few people out there who truly don't care about the console wars and are just interested in some sort of consensus being reached on what arguably is the better version to purchase.

But still, I largely agree with you.

Loudninja

Dorfdad said:
What a pikle of shit.. Honestly these sites suck.. Explain to me how Magus has played both versions and posted quite a bit of detail on the differences, but these sites get a pass by saying the are identical when they are not.

I'm a gamer have all systems and when I hear 360 has less pop-in, less tearing, better framerate, and color even if these are very small differences I wan't to know that.. I have Tv I paid out the ass for and when I play games I wan't the BEST edition. Not some PR bullshit..

I have decided to get the 360 version. Something is up with this if Rockstar wanted to promote the PS3 version they would have given reviews, and or demonstrated the PS3 version as well. There is a REASON they are not. Were not 100% sure why yet but there was a marketing reason this happened.

This leads me to believe that they Rockstar feel the 360 version is the one that they should showcase to sell the product.. I may be 100% wrong but something is up..

Dude you need to chill seriously look at the vids posted of the PS3 and see for yourself. Both versions are great.

eznark

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Uh yeah, I kind of would like to know which version to buy, I'd imagine plenty on GAF also have both consoles. But nice rant, A+ for effort.

FrankT

miladesn said:
bah 360 version has tearing? that sucks :\.

No he keeps throwing that around. Chalk it up to sarcasm this time too. The main(real) differnces stated by reviewers have been posted in here a few times now.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Two questions. Well, one question, and one comment:

#1 - Anyone else considering never using the fast travel? If so, join with me :) I'm normally the laziest bastard ever in videogames (fact: I would fast travel from one district to another in Oblivion's capital city) but with RDR... I think the whole point is that Marsten's adventure is a journey. Going from one city to another is SUPPOSED to feel like a trek.

Fast travel breaks the immersion.

For that matter, I intend on using the map as little as possible, too. I want to try and have landmarks guide me.

#2 - Does anyone know how the edge of the map is handled? I know the world doesn't loop, so I'm very curious.

eznark said:
Uh yeah, I kind of would like to know which version to buy, I'd imagine plenty on GAF also have both consoles. But nice rant, A+ for effort.
nope, it's true. I know there are a few exception but read the last few pages. People have been demanding for comparisons but if they don't like the comparison they just call BS and wait for the next one. Even people who own both consoles have pretty much already decided (the version their friends have) and just want to hear that the version they are already buying is better. Oh about my comment, I don't want to get bitched at again: some guy posting here said he saw slight tearing when he did full camera spin, that was it.

edit beaten already. holy shit man, you must really have a hair up your ass about this JY Someone said it and my comments again are about how it doesn't matter if he said it or if it's true, people will believe what they already wanted to believe. Try to calm down. I can do that to: Don't spread the FUD, the main difference listed was that they are the same :p

NG28

Hari Seldon said:
Going to wait for the backlash wave to hit before I evaluate buying this. :lol
I was thinking that too, but I'm not going to compare this to anything so I won't be disappointed. This won't be a stripped down version of a previous game. All I expect is some shootouts and a western setting, which is what I'll get.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jtyettis said:
No he keeps throwing that around. Chalk it up to sarcasm this time too. The main(real) differnces stated by reviewers have been posted in here a few times now.

So do we have conformation on the res of the PS3 version now then?, I've just read through the last 10 odd pages and can see any?

Flib said:
Anyone had any luck snagging an early release in NYC?

If you're familiar with the downtown Brooklyn area, specifically Nevins St. And Flatbush Ave, they have the game now. Just got a phone call from them, but I'm just gonna for my Gamestop midnight release.

Klocker

eznark said:
Heads up on that deal, make sure you know how much the games you are trading in are worth. I got $32 for FFXIII last Tuesday at GameStop, so it'd be pretty stupid to use it in this promotion.

true but there are quite a few on there normally trading for $10-$12 that qualify too. :D

FrankT

lowrider007 said:
So do we have conformation on the res of the PS3 version now then?, I've just read through the last 10 odd pages and can see any?

No we do not have the exact pixel count for the PS3 version yet. I'm sure DF is on it as we speak.

Pretty much this is what has been posted so far from reviewers;

Coin Return said:
- colors more saturated in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- less texture pop in in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

They've played both versions, too.

And nowgamer saying they are the same iirc.

Arcipello

GDJustin said:
Two questions. Well, one question, and one comment:

#1 - Anyone else considering never using the fast travel? If so, join with me :) I'm normally the laziest bastard ever in videogames (fact: I would fast travel from one district to another in Oblivion's capital city) but with RDR... I think the whole point is that Marsten's adventure is a journey. Going from one city to another is SUPPOSED to feel like a trek.

Fast travel breaks the immersion.

For that matter, I intend on using the map as little as possible, too. I want to try and have landmarks guide me.

#2 - Does anyone know how the edge of the map is handled? I know the world doesn't loop, so I'm very curious.

+1 i love getting into this sort of mindset, but its rare to find a game that actually warrents this sort of commitment...RDR is deffinately one:D

eznark

Banned
BobTheFork said:
nope, it's true. I know there are a few exception but read the last few pages. People have been demanding for comparisons but if they don't like the comparison they just call BS and wait for the next one. Even people who own both consoles have pretty much already decided (the version their friends have) and just want to hear that the version they are already buying is better. Oh about my comment, I don't want to get bitched at again: some guy posting here said he saw slight tearing when he did full camera spin, that was it.
As there are exceptions you should not have bolded nobody. So there.

And don't wait for the backlash. Get the game ASAP so that you can be part of the first backlash wave, as I was for GTAIV. It was glorious. Much, much better than that shitty game, anyway!

Do any of the reviews talk about saving during missions or checkpoints? God I hope they exist.

lowrider007

Jtyettis said:
No we do not have the exact pixel count for the PS3 version yet. I'm sure DF is on it as we speak.

ok np just wondered that's all, I'll probably go the for the PS3 version anyway, I didn't think that GTAIV was to bad on the PS3 anyway and I'm guessing RDR will be an improvement on that.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
dreamer3kx said:
Managed to snag the game today on the 360, its just great so far, Im spending all my time doing random shit instead of the main missions, you really do feel like you're in the wild wild west here, its just good stuff all around.

244wot4.gif

Somewhere, he is crying....:lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sucks this thread turned into system wars bullshit.

I guess we will have to wait until about a week after the game releases to get back to just RDR talk..

eznark said:
As there are exceptions you should not have bolded nobody. So there.

And don't wait for the backlash. Get the game ASAP so that you can be part of the first backlash wave, as I was for GTAIV. It was glorious. Much, much better than that shitty game, anyway!

Do any of the reviews talk about saving during missions or checkpoints? God I hope they exist.
fair enough, it's harder to make a point if you don't use hyperbole.

Arcipello said:
+1 i love getting into this sort of mindset, but its rare to find a game that actually warrents this sort of commitment...RDR is deffinately one:D

I tried my damnedest to do it in Fallout 3 as well. But that was hard sometimes!

:lol

lowrider007

RbBrdMan said:
Sucks this thread turned into system wars bullshit.

I guess we will have to wait until about a week after the game releases to get back to just RDR talk..

Comparisons are not always about system wars, I think sometimes people misconstrued them, I believe that there are people on here like myself that genuinely would like to know what are the technical pro and cons of each version to help them decide which platform to get the game on.

Amneisac

CozMick said:
I'm pretty sure someone stated in this thread that you can't play any minigames online.

Might have been Magnus.

I kind of figured as much, though I can't imagine why the fuck not. It can't be that difficult to put something like that into the game and I think it would be amazing.

Klocker

DMeisterJ said:
I traded in BF: BC2 and FFXIII and got back 64.40 with an Edge Card today. So idk what that promotion was but it sucks apparently.

yes they have this also "30% Trade Bonus... Get an extra 30% trade bonus on any 360, PS3, Wii, DS or PSP games traded."

which with an Edge card gives you 40% boost

lowrider007 said:
Comparisons are not always about system wars, I think sometimes people misconstrued them, I believe that there are people on here like myself that genuinely would like to know what are the technical pro and cons of each version to help them decide which platform to get the game on.
Yeah. It's unfortunate when it becomes impossible to have a dispassionate discussion. Given the differences in hardware architecture, it's unlikely that they will literally be 100% identical. Mind you, I probably won't notice a difference regardless of which version I get, but it's still worth some analysis in my book to examine which version people would rather get all other things equal (and I don't care about online, nor do I care about Gamerscore or trophies).

DMeisterJ said:
I traded in BF: BC2 and FFXIII and got back 64.40 with an Edge Card today. So idk what that promotion was but it sucks apparently.

You traded in BC2? Noooooooooo.

I am going with GOW3 and SuperSF4 (suck at it and need to invest too much time and an arcade stick for me to be effective).

Canada gaf.

Trade 2 Get RDR Free, also get a free blu ray copy of The Good The Bad and The Ugly at Futureshop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/used-games/27603.aspx

eznark

Banned
I've never done same day shipping through amazon before, am I boned if I haven't gotten a shipped email notification yet?

bjscott05

I was just about to cancel my EB order and do the trade in for 40 but it was already packaged and can't be cancelled. Really wanted to get rid of Grid :lol

Magnus

Wasn't me re: inability to play minigames online. Haven't played online.

There's some kind of lighting fuckup which I've only noticed on the 360. When dealing with cramped interiors or even areas with a lot of cliffs and other things that obscure light, it's like the game has to recalculate the light every time you move in and out of the shade, which ends up with a distracting full screen darkening/lightening effect. No big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

There is no screen-tearing to be had in either version, at least, none that I've seen in 10 hours of play.

Slaylock

eznark said:
I've never done same day shipping through amazon before, am I boned if I haven't gotten a shipped email notification yet?
You should be fine. It's always late afternoon before I get a shipping notice for release day delivery with Amazon and I always get it the next day.

Steve Youngblood said:
Yeah. It's unfortunate when it becomes impossible to have a dispassionate discussion. Given the differences in hardware architecture, it's unlikely that they will literally be 100% identical. Mind you, I probably won't notice a difference regardless of which version I get, but it's still worth some analysis in my book to examine which version people would rather get all other things equal (and I don't care about online, nor do I care about Gamerscore or trophies).
Even if people really want to have the technical discussion and care about the better version in a non-jackass way, who do you believe? We've heard it every way possible now, including many contradictions. IT feels like even the people who aren't fanboys just sort of gravitate towards what they already thought the result would be and convince themselves of anything.

eznark

Banned
Slaylock said:
You should be fine. It's always late afternoon before I get a shipping notice for release day delivery with Amazon and I always get it the next day.
Cool. Also, I'm pretty sure there are like two main Amazon hubs within 60 miles of me.

Top Bottom