• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Zeliard

I can't wait to get into some duels.

Duels at high noon, and duels at sundown. I'm probably going to lose some just due to staring mouth agape at how accurately they've nailed the visuals and the atmosphere.

Edge said:
Lead in Red Dead Redemption hits hard. It’s a combination of noisy, mechanical guns and, in Euphoria, a physics engine that plays along. Bullets snap heads backwards and rip men from the saddle. GTAIV’s modern weapons spit bullets like angry hornets until a health circle depletes; here, lives end in uncompromising fashion. For the western aficionado, it is viciously accurate; for the fan of wanton sandbox carnage, it is comically frank.

The distinction between hoodlum and gunman separates Redemption from GTA. Violence is a trade, a skill to be revelled in. Guns are surgically accurate. Yes, plugging a sheriff from the other end of town makes slaying a doddle. But Lee Van Cleef could make the shot, so why not? Dead Eye – a slow-motion aim (and one of few remnants of Red Dead Revolver) – puts gunplay on a pedestal. Painting shots on to targets lets you clip ankles from underneath fleeing bandits or pick flocks of birds from the sky. Euphoria lives up to its name in these sepia-tinted moments: the sight of a glinting knife tumbling from a crumpling sex fiend’s hand is poetically vicious. And it is no coincidence that the populace are decked out in elaborate hats – nothing hammers home an abrupt death better than a bowler hanging above a cloud of red mist, and no head.

This doesn't really help the wait.

CozMick said:
I'm pretty sure someone stated in this thread that you can't play any minigames online.

Might have been Magnus.
What the hell is the point in free roam multi if simpler bits like that aren't available? That's pretty disappointing, actually. Was hoping for RDR to be the ultimate 'just play' game for online with friends where you could just jump on and not actually have a plan, but still have all of those activity choices in one title...at least for a while. Yeah, I know that people will just say to play a dedicated poker game or whatever, but damn...that's a strange decision.

reKon

Banned
Majine said:
Yes please. Not saying I'll agree with them, but they'r reviews are long and entertaining.

long, sometimes entertaining, and inconsistent/contradictory game-to-game at times, filled with unnecessary spoilers

that's right I said it *shots fired*

- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)

lowrider007 said:
ok np just wondered that's all, I'll probably go the for the PS3 version anyway, I didn't think that GTAIV was to bad on the PS3 anyway and I'm guessing RDR will be an improvement on that.

I think it is sub-hd again, like most of Rockstar's past PS3 games. But there is no blur filter, it looks good. It feels like an improvement in performance from GTA4.
I've been playing the PS3 version since Saturday afternoon. I still haven't got to Mexico, but I haven't experienced heavy frame drops. Perhaps it dips more often in comparison to X360, but the gameplay feels smooth on PS3.

Volcynika

X-Play Review 5/5

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/57148/Red-Dead-Redemption/review/

The Pros

*The best western game made to date
*A massive, dynamic and alive world to explore
*Incredible voice acting
*Multiplayer offers potential hours of enjoyment

The Cons

*Controls can sometimes be clunky
*Occasional glitches
*Free roam spawning

Last paragraph

Red Dead Redemption sets the bar for all future genre efforts and it gives players the chance to participate in their very own Spaghetti Western that includes a wild cast of characters, epic wild west showdowns, a score that would make Ennio Morricone proud, an absurdly expansive frontier to explore, and a wonderfully enjoyable multiplayer experience that will have players forming posses and battling bandits for some time. It’s going to take a lot to top this one. Even if you’re not a fan of Westerns, there’s still plenty here to enjoy. Red Dead Redemption is one of 2010’s best games.

Verapamil

Banned
DMPrince said:
SOOO. who's going to dress up at the RDR midnight Launch? :lol.

Dude, I live in the rural Southeast. It is always dress-up time around these parts.

Ten gallon hats and boots are de rigueur.

brentech

The Amazon fee just posted to my account from my pre-order so I hope that means they're shipping it out today. Would like to get it as soon as possible, though, I want to finish off god of war 3 from my gamefly rental before sinking my teeth into RDR.

So much to play, so little time...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm disappointed in this:

A hint of an economy – pelts sell better where those animals aren’t readily available – seems redundant in a world where money is rarely a problem.

Some of my favorite moments in GTAIV were when I had limited funds and had to decide what to do next. Bah.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Edge review said:
But this sandbox extends beyond the tale’s natural climax. If the story leads us through well-trodden territory – blending The Good, The Bad And The Ugly’s adventurous sweep with Unforgiven’s morality, as played by Deadwood’s perverts and bigots – the greater game is more digitised Westworld: an impeccable example of world building begging to be interrupted with a bullet. As one character notes: “I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old west. The romance, the honour, the nobility! But it turns out it’s just people killing each other.” There’s no shame in that. [9]

Gave me chills.

Gravijah

chubigans said:
I'm disappointed in this:

Some of my favorite moments in GTAIV were when I had limited funds and had to decide what to do next. Bah.

I wonder if that is taking into account property...

Zeliard

chubigans said:

What moments were those? GTAIV had the same problem with money. You got tons of it from missions, with barely anything to spend it on. The expansions were a little better about this, but eventually you'd get more money than you know what to do with.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
BobTheFork said:
Even if people really want to have the technical discussion and care about the better version in a non-jackass way, who do you believe? We've heard it every way possible now, including many contradictions. IT feels like even the people who aren't fanboys just sort of gravitate towards what they already thought the result would be and convince themselves of anything.

Well for me I know that a lot of the time multi-plats are usually 'technically' better on the 360, and although I have both consoles I prefer the PS3 so for me it's usually a case of finding out 'how much better' the game is on the 360, I don't mind having the 'technically inferior' version as long as the differences are only minor, otherwise I will forgo purchasing the game on my preferred platform and get it for the 360 instead.

Anyway thanks for the link Loudninja that looks very good too me, can't wait to pick this up.

So how many people can be in a Posse? Is it the same as a clan? The OP makes it sound more like a temporary group while you are in Free Roam.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zeliard said:
What moments were those?
At the very, very beginning of the game. I had low health and only five dollars...should I use it on a hot dog? Or beat a guy up for more money? What if I get caught? I want to save up for a pistol, damnit!

But yeah, the further along I got with GTA IV, the less fun it got. Which didn't take long to happen. Phooey.

Barrett2

Zeliard said:
What moments were those? GTAIV had the same problem with money. You got tons of it from missions, with barely anything to spend it on. The expansions were a little better about this, but eventually you'd get more money than you know what to do with.

This. Even though GTA4 restricted your cash, the only thing you purchased was guns & ammo, so the whole economy seemed pointless. I would rather they flood me with cash AND give me tons of stuff to purchase, invest in, etc.

I would love an Assassin's Creed mechanic where Marsden could throw $20 on the ground to create a diversion, for example, not to mention bigger stuff like buying brothels, hotels, cattle, etc.

I really don't know why they got rid of the 'Monopoly' aspect of GTA in 4. Some of my best memories of Vice City were driving my Ferrari to my various businesses, collecting my cash.

WEll I thought we had lots of impression that said money was much harder to get? Maybe they just meant the scale is smaller so you get less but need less. I was never a fan of just dumping infinite money on the player but getting caught short of money when you need a gun or health or a horse would slow down gameplay.

bjscott05 said:
I was just about to cancel my EB order and do the trade in for 40 but it was already packaged and can't be cancelled. Really wanted to get rid of Grid :lol

Well you can do what I'm doing. I'm going to sell the new sealed RDR for 55 bucks that I get from Amazon. Someone will pay that and I still get fifteen bucks in credit overall.

dread9

Banned
DoctorWho said:
So how many people can be in a Posse? Is it the same as a clan? The OP makes it sound more like a temporary group while you are in Free Roam.

I don't know, but what im envisioning in free roam is some unsuspecting player walking into a town and seeing [GAF] everywhere before having his head blown off. :) Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Damn, so the Free Roam spawning sounds like a pretty annoying problem, and I've seen first hand on that stream yesterday how bad it can be. That sucks.

I wonder if Gamestop will pony up $15-$20 for my Borderlands. That was, bar none, my worst purchase of the past year.

I will be trading that against RDR regardless.

Zeliard

BobTheFork said:
WEll I thought we had lots of impression that said money was much harder to get? Maybe they just meant the scale is smaller so you get less but need less. I was never a fan of just dumping infinite money on the player but getting caught short of money when you need a gun or health or a horse would slow down gameplay.

Coulda sworn I read somewhere that you're able to rent properties in this game, or something similar to that.

DeuceMojo said:
I wonder if Gamestop will pony up $15-$20 for my Borderlands. That was, bar none, my worst purchase of the past year.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. :lol

JoNike

Neo Member
Rapping Granny said:
You traded in BC2? Noooooooooo.

I am going with GOW3 and SuperSF4 (suck at it and need to invest too much time and an arcade stick for me to be effective).

Canada gaf.

Trade 2 Get RDR Free, also get a free blu ray copy of The Good The Bad and The Ugly at Futureshop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/used-games/27603.aspx

You know if taxes are cover by the Trade 2 for 1 game at FutureShop? I'll get rid of Batman and MAG but I was wondering if I'd had to throw 10$ for taxes...

Pennybags

dread9 said:
I don't know, but what im envisioning in free roam is some unsuspecting player walking into a town and seeing [GAF] everywhere before having his head blown off. :) Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Yeah, it's temporary, unfortunately.

TheKurgan

DeuceMojo said:

I got $27cdn for trading in my 360 copy of Borderlands this weekend.

DeuceMojo said:

What? Borderlands was amazingly awesome! that's off topic though.

The wait for RDR is agony.

dread9 said:
I'll say this is why I hate it that R* squashes vids so much, these are the detail I want to know. I think I have tricked my self a few times into thinking this is some kind of western MMO when it's really not. I don't think we get dedicated posses of anything like that (like clans). Even where I read previews with terms like 'rounding up a posse' I was under the impression that there is no in-game mechanic for this at all. In free mode, you would just ride along side people and if you happened across an NPC bandit base, you could shoot them. That's what I currently think the limits of co-op/posse action is, pretty much just in the player's imaginations.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Since we're on the subject of trades, I'll be trading in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, GTAIV, and Bionic Commando towards this. Should cover at least 2/3 of the price, if not more.

(I love indie game stores. Always give great credit. :D )

Quick Question:

I scanned the OP and could not find any information and I am at work so some sites are blocked, Does anyone know if this game supports local multi player at all? or specifically system link?

thanks!

Top Bottom