• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

What besides weaponry, properties, gambling, healing items, and sex do you use money for? Honestly, seems that Rockstar refuses to make player-investment a motivation to control behavior in the game when it could enhance the experience massively.

Not being able to kit out cars (with armor plating bullet-proof windows, tweaked handling and performance, and other such customizations with an associate con, like added weight and loss of speed or whatever was appropriate) in GTA IV really made every car too disposable and therefore threw away the opportunity to make driving it with care more of a consideration in the game...changing the way you played if you invested. Things invested into in RDR should have the same effect even if I'm having a hard time imagining what that could be in the relatively realistic wild west setting.

Perhaps the simulation could have included a tie-in for your honor/dishonor and fame rating to affect how your properties/businesses could be treated by various AIs...whether people rob it often or at all, whether businesses are popular and by how much. But money is and was a terribly unimportant thing in all of the GTAs...so it'll be par for the course here in RDR if it's the same way. A shame since there isn't any optional hardcore mode built in...with a further optional permadeath possibility. I'd love it as it would make it all the more intense and make every duel and decision that much more important. It'd be fantastic to see the options made available later on in an update.

Barrett2

Majine said:
Oh! I knew about the Xbox avatar rewards, but there is apparently also PS Home rewards!

High five!

.....anyone?

Hello?

Tumbleweed.gif

:p

dread9

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I'll say this is why I hate it that R* squashes vids so much, these are the detail I want to know. I think I have tricked my self a few times into thinking this is some kind of western MMO when it's really not. I don't think we get dedicated posses of anything like that (like clans). Even where I read previews with terms like 'rounding up a posse' I was under the impression that there is no in-game mechanic for this at all. In free mode, you would just ride along side people and if you happened across an NPC bandit base, you could shoot them. That's what I currently think the limits of co-op/posse action is, pretty much just in the player's imaginations.

Sad-face.

Any Rockstar Ninjas around to confirm/deny?

eshock

JetBlackPanda said:
Quick Question:

I scanned the OP and could not find any information and I am at work so some sites are blocked, Does anyone know if this game supports local multi player at all? or specifically system link?

thanks!

Split screen no, system link yes, on both platforms.

Artex

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
Quick Question:

I scanned the OP and could not find any information and I am at work so some sites are blocked, Does anyone know if this game supports local multi player at all? or specifically system link?

thanks!

Goddamn I would love a local multiplayer...just something like GTA: SA would be fine...I loved that!

MightyHedgehog said:
What besides weaponry, properties, gambling, healing items, and sex do you use money for? Honestly, seems that Rockstar refuses to make player-investment a motivation to control behavior in the game when it could enhance the experience massively.

Not being able to kit out cars (with armor plating bullet-proof windows, tweaked handling and performance, and other such customizations with an associate con, like added weight and loss of speed or whatever was appropriate) in GTA IV really made every car too disposable and therefore threw away the opportunity to make driving it with care more of a consideration in the game...changing the way you played if you invested. Things invested into in RDR should have the same effect even if I'm having a hard time imagining what that could be in the relatively realistic wild west setting.

Perhaps the simulation could have included a tie-in for your honor/dishonor and fame rating to affect how your properties/businesses could be treated by various AIs...whether people rob it often or at all, whether businesses are popular and by how much. But money is and was a terribly unimportant thing in all of the GTAs...so it'll be par for the course here in RDR if it's the same way. A shame since there isn't any optional hardcore mode built in...with a further optional permadeath possibility. I'd love it as it would make it all the more intense and make every duel and decision that much more important. It'd be fantastic to see the options made available later on in an update.

One of the few things that I believe Volition does better than Rockstar now is the side activities. I love Saints Row 2 because there is SO MUCH STUFF to spend your money on. Customizing your houseS, your player model, your vehicles, your gang, buying TONS of businesses, etc. Add on to that the sheer amount of side missions, and it felt overwhelming at first. If Rockstar can bring back the real ownership style economy, and give me more to do with my money, I'd be really happy.

Zeliard

BobTheFork said:
I'll say this is why I hate it that R* squashes vids so much, these are the detail I want to know. I think I have tricked my self a few times into thinking this is some kind of western MMO when it's really not. I don't think we get dedicated posses of anything like that (like clans). Even where I read previews with terms like 'rounding up a posse' I was under the impression that there is no in-game mechanic for this at all. In free mode, you would just ride along side people and if you happened across an NPC bandit base, you could shoot them. That's what I currently think the limits of co-op/posse action is, pretty much just in the player's imaginations.

One of the reviews mentioned that in Free Roam mode, you and your buddies basically do have to go around making and finding your own fun, to a large extent. But I wouldn't have really expected anything else in a mode like that.

MightyHedgehog said:
A shame since there isn't any optional hardcore mode built in...with a further optional permadeath possibility. I'd love it as it would make it all the more intense and make every duel and decision that much more important. It'd be fantastic to see the options made available later on in an update.

A hardcore mode with this game would be quite fantastic. That'll probably have to wait for the PC version and some mods, however.

DaveH

Net_Wrecker said:
If Rockstar can bring back the real ownership style economy, and give me more to do with my money, I'd be really happy.

That's totally the premium DLC expansions... RDR: Robber Barons.

Dyno

Two things concern me. Both are shooting related.

On PS3 it says you aim with L2 and fire with R2. Can this be changed? You can't take a shooter seriously that sticks with those controls. I would simply avoid the issue playing on 360 but I'm the only person in my circle of friends who has one.

Also, it sounds like the aiming system is the same as GTAIV. You stick to targets and can even cycle through them unless you play on expert difficulty. That was a poor aspect of GTAIV. Sticking and cycling wasn't much fun and free aiming was very difficult due to how small the people where and how dark most of the game was.

I was very disappointed with GTAIVs shooting, it's the worst third person shooter out there. You think they would nail it considering all of the gunfighting you're doing. I would have hoped the system received an overhaul.

For anyone who's played a bit, how do you find the shooting mechanics?

dread9 said:
Sad-face.

Well we know they are adding free co-op content and that will be much more of a posse kind of mode. I don't mean the game now is horribly limited I just think they didn't add any kind of clan or team system to free mode right now.

edit: the shooting controls can't be changed we've heard. I still don't get why so many games use r2/l2. Ps3 games never did that and the buttons are worse now so why switch.

Majine

Banned
miladesn said:
Not yet. I read it on PS blog.

Those of you that, like me, obsessively collect each and every unlockable reward from your favorite PS3 and PSN games in PlayStation Home will be stoked to learn that Rockstar’s upcoming sandbox-style western game Red Dead Redemption (available for the PS3 on May 18th) will unlock exclusive outfits for your avatar upon reaching in-game milestones. We don’t want to spill any beans concerning the plot of this sure-to-be-hit title, so we’re not going to tell you how to earn these rewards just yet but trust me when I say that, if you love Red Dead Redemption, PlayStation Home is the place to be when you are looking for people to challenge to a good ol’ fashioned Mexican standoff in the 16-player max multiplayer.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
dread9 said:
Sad-face.

This trailer says posses are real.

Here's a screencap:
a22048f6e4b7466d469312acb5f6e78b.png

Up to 8 players per posse. I also think that if you're in a posse in free roam, then join a team deathmatch or something, it will join the posse. This is just inferring.

FrankT

Dyno said:

On PS3 it says you aim with L2 and fire with R2. Can this be changed? You can't take a shooter seriously that sticks with those controls. I would simply avoid the issue playing on 360 but I'm the only person in my circle of friends who has one.

Also, it sounds like the aiming system is the same as GTAIV. You stick to targets and can even cycle through them unless you play on expert difficulty. That was a poor aspect of GTAIV. Sticking and cycling wasn't much fun and free aiming was very difficult due to how small the people where and how dark most of the game was.

I was very disappointed with GTAIVs shooting, it's the worst third person shooter out there. You think they would nail it considering all of the gunfighting you're doing. I would have hoped the system received an overhaul.

Pretty sure this has been brought up before and iirc no.

Zeliard

Dyno said:

"Normal" isn't exactly the same as GTAIV - it's very similar, except that when you lock on to someone and they move, it doesn't stay locked on. In GTAIV, it locks on to someone no matter where they move, and even if they go behind cover.

I'm gonna play on expert, personally. The only worry for me comes with gunfights off horseback. If shooting out of your car in the console versions of GTAIV was any indication, that could end up pretty annoying, but we'll see.

Zeliard said:
One of the reviews mentioned that in Free Roam mode, you and your buddies basically do have to go around making and finding your own fun, to a large extent. But I wouldn't have really expected anything else in a mode like that.

A hardcore mode with this game would be quite fantastic. That'll probably have to wait for the PC version and some mods, however.
Yeah, that's exactly all I expect it to be. I would like to know a bit more, because the idea of having gangs is great. What I really want to know is didn't they put in some lobby options that would let us do it. I don't know enough about TDM but I'm assuming it happen on some kind of closed map and not the whole range like free mode.

edit: oh, well fuck yeah I stand corrected. That's all we really need right there.
Ass I really want is to be able to assign groups or at least turn off map locators for players. Just something so we could be riding around the whole massive map together in groups and actually have an encounter where we weren't expecting to run into the other player.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
QUESTIONS:

(Reposted) How is the edge of the map handled? It doesn't seem like the game world is determined by geography based on the map. So what happens if Marsten just rides to the edge of RDR's world?

Any discussion of / thoughts around / rumors about what could be done for DLC? With GTA4 the prevailing opinion was that Rockstar had built a *world* more than a game, and that several games would be released to take advantage of that world. That very much ended up being the case. People don't seem to be saying the same thing about RDR.

How many buildings can players enter? It seems like with towns consisting of just a few ramshackle structures there is an opportunity for Marsten to enter more or all of them... even the superfluous ones. I won't be too disappointed if its just saloons, though.

Loudninja

Red Dead allows you to round up a posse of friends to roam the game world, which also serves as the multiplayer lobby. In this free roam mode, your posse can terrorize towns or try to collect the bounty on another gang of reckless outlaws. At any time, you can jump into competitive multiplayer matches as well. These modes are Western-themed versions of individual and team-based deathmatch and capture the flag modes, plus another mode that tasks you with collecting more gold than your opponents. No matter the format, each match starts with a Mexican standoff, with the last man standing gaining a head start on the rest of the competition. Dead Eye carries over to multiplayer, but works in real time. While this may not be as powerful a tool as it is in single-player, it preserves the gameplay balance and comes in handy when you find yourself behind a group of enemies. With 50 levels and unlockable character skins, mounts, and titles, the multiplayer is a fully featured complement to the excellent single-player experience.

http://gameinformer.com/games/red_dead_redemption/b/xbox360/archive/2010/05/17/review.aspx

Multiplayer sounds so good, I spent alot of my time in the free roam mode in GTA4 so much fun.

JetBlackPanda said:
Quick Question:

thanks!

No split screen, but system link is in.

sflufan

Banned
GDJustin said:
How is the edge of the map handled? It doesn't seem like the game world is determined by geography based on the map. So what happens if Marsten just rides to the edge of RDR's world?

You reach the Dark Tower.

Kave_Man said:
Anyone know of any midnight releases in Toronto? I'm finding nothing. :I

Don't know of a midnight release but I know the guy who runs the EB at Yonge and Eglinton says he will probably open at 8AM. BUT the GAMERAMA underneath them will be open at midnight. I'm boycotting that place though.

akmcbroom said:
This is a little disappointing. GTA IV was around 40 hours no?

Have people forgotten there was an ACHIEVEMENT for beating the main story in under 30 hours in GTAIV? These games are as long as you make them.

Edited for accuracy, and to mention that you could do it in half that achievement time anyway.

I'm won't say disappointing but 20 w/ the extra is shorter than I thought it would be. I so plan on playing more MP than I did for GTA4, and we played tons of gTA4

Net_Wrecker said:
Have people forgotten there was an ACHIEVEMENT for beating the main story in under 20 hours in GTAIV? These games are as long as you make them.
yeah but that was you skipping all the extra stuff in the game to do it.

Red Dead allows you to round up a posse of friends to roam the game world, which also serves as the multiplayer lobby. In this free roam mode, your posse can terrorize towns or try to collect the bounty on another gang of reckless outlaws. At any time, you can jump into competitive multiplayer matches as well. These modes are Western-themed versions of individual and team-based deathmatch and capture the flag modes, plus another mode that tasks you with collecting more gold than your opponents. No matter the format, each match starts with a Mexican standoff, with the last man standing gaining a head start on the rest of the competition. Dead Eye carries over to multiplayer, but works in real time. While this may not be as powerful a tool as it is in single-player, it preserves the gameplay balance and comes in handy when you find yourself behind a group of enemies. With 50 levels and unlockable character skins, mounts, and titles, the multiplayer is a fully featured complement to the excellent single-player experience.

I still don't think that FreeRoam is as persistent as people are hoping it is. I don't think there will be players in your world that you either didn't invite or accept a challenge from.

JoNike

Neo Member
Net_Wrecker said:
Have people forgotten there was an ACHIEVEMENT for beating the main story in under 20 hours in GTAIV? These games are as long as you make them.
It was 30 hours but your point is still valid.

akmcbroom said:
I don't see how. Seeing as how so few who bought GTA IV finished it, I think the decision to go broader with a focus on a greater quality and variety of spontaneous encounters in the world was the right one, from impressions. I thought that some of most fun in GTA IV was had in the small and short 'friend' missions scattered around the city...and RDR looks to make that a big part of the experience rather than a small side-bit. Besides, if GTA IV was anything to go by and based on what's known about RDR, it seems you can fully exceed forty hours of playtime by just doing all the missions made available to you instead of just plowing through with just the main campaign mission set without much trying. GTA IV had too many filler, samey missions in its main set, anyway...better to have all killer and no filler than a bunch of cut 'n paste shit to pad out an arbitrary playtime.

Definity

akmcbroom said:

:lol

I've played the game for 10+hours so far and I've managed to do 6 story missions. Sitting on 6% or so complete. Everytime I get ready to do a story mission I get caught up in doing something else. There is so much shit to do in this game my head hurts, seriously.

sflufan

Banned
GTA IV's storyline had so much unnecessary, sometimes mind-numbingly dull "fat" in it that it was a truly superb 20 hour game needlessly stretched to 30+ hours.

I'm hoping that RDR's shorter time means a more focused experience.

PoweredBySoy said:
I still don't think that FreeRoam is as persistent as people are hoping it is. I don't think there will be players in your world that you either didn't invite or accept a challenge from.
well I'm assuming that your games will be listed just like on Gamespy or at least you can quick join a random game. There just won't ever be more than 16 people. So you could start a lobby and spend all day there while different people joined and left without you asking them to.

PoweredBySoy said:

I saw a stream yesterday with a full 16 player free roam, lots of killing back and forth between posses.

Dynamic3 said:
Are there other posses in your free roam realm or are the other 'gangs' you can attack ai?

I read 'gangs' as AI, not as players. It still sounds fun though.

For competitive multiplayer I'm assuming you'll be in your posse's FreeRoam world, at which point the posse leader will join some matchmaking queue which will load you into a new 'world' with the other posse and appropriate game type.

JoNike said:
It was 30 hours but your point is still valid.

Oh oops:lol But still, when rushing for that achievement, you could do it REALLY REALLY quickly. Like 15 hours when using taxi's as much as possible, skipping custscenes, etc.

Top Bottom