• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Zeliard

In TDM, are there just individual parts of the entire map sectioned off? Is that how it worked in GTAIV? Never really played its multi.

lantus

akmcbroom said:
This is a little disappointing. GTA IV was around 40 hours no?
GTA IV's main story could be finished pretty quick if you tried hard enough, I did so many things during my first play through it took me about 40 hours to finish, the second time I blasted through it in 28 hours. It really does matter on your play style.

JoNike

Neo Member
sw33tclyde said:
I can't wait to go looking for that mondo-bear directly under Tall Trees!!!

A little over 9 hours until I'll have my copy..

That is one cool thing of living in Quebec. Because of the law, everything package into a game has to be offered in both French and English so that mean (at least it was the case for gtaIV), two maps for us. One for the map, one for the poster!:)

lantus

Zeliard said:
In TDM, are there just individual parts of the entire map sectioned off? Is that how it worked in GTAIV? Never really played its multi.

You could section off parts or just leave the entire world open in GTA IV's multiplayer, I would expect the same for Redemption.

bridegur

What besides weaponry, properties, gambling, healing items, and sex do you use money for? Honestly, seems that Rockstar refuses to make player-investment a motivation to control behavior in the game when it could enhance the experience massively.

The more I read about RDR, the more I realize Rockstar has ignored all of the criticisms of GTA4.

Zeliard

PoweredBySoy said:
More than two posse's? So, for example, could there be potentially 8 posse's?

Well, 8 posses of 2 people, since you're always going to be limited to 16 total players. :p

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It comes with a nice foldout map!

mapqz.jpg

Awesome. Rockstar still likes to keep it oldschool where it matters.

CaLe

I'd be really interested in hearing how R* San Diego are taking the critical response to the game. Obviously they are pleased we never hear enough from developers after a game release. Casey Hudson from BioWare did a good job with this sort of thing I think! I'd like more of it from other developers :)

MMaRsu

Loudninja said:
I don't get it what more can you expect to do with money?

Businesses, ranches, saloons, betting on all type's of crazy shit etc.

There is a lot of stuff to do with cash, but apparantly R* hasn't listened. Although I must say that I am far more hyped about the RDR economy.

Also, the part about no minigames in free roam? What a surprise, GTAIV 'missed' the same opportunity.

Tr4nce

Hmm, i was just wondering about this one issue. Does everyone remember how R* said that in GTAIV, you could do and end missions 'the way you want to', but how that was really not very true? Like this one mission where you could only start shooting some biker after a certain amount of time? How will this be in RDR? Does anyone know?

Zeliard

Tr4nce said:
Hmm, i was just wondering about this one issue. Does everyone remember how R* said that in GTAIV, you could do and end missions 'the way you want to', but how that was really not very true? Like this one mission where you could only start shooting some biker after a certain amount of time? How will this be in RDR? Does anyone know?

Yeah, that shit was bad.

Fortunately, all of the reviews rave about how dynamic and unpredictable the missions are in RDR, especially due to the gunplay. Some of the missions themselves might be basic and might repeat, but they never unfold in the same fashion.

And I believe it, since the GTAIV expansions were much better about that invincible biker crap.

alfmac

Neo Member
Guys, i'm just arrived at home, so i'm watching some review....
Is there any website which has written about sub hd for PS3 version, or tearing, ecc?

Thank you.

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
Yeah, that shit was bad.

Fortunately, all of the reviews rave about how dynamic and unpredictable the missions are in RDR, especially due to the gunplay. Some of the missions themselves might be basic and might repeat, but they never unfold in the same fashion.

And I believe it, since the GTAIV expansions were much better about that invincible biker crap.

Invincible horse?

:lol

Barrett2

sw33tclyde said:
I can't wait to go looking for that mondo-bear directly under Tall Trees!!!

A little over 9 hours until I'll have my copy..

How amazing would that be if there was one ENORMOUS bear somewhere on the map? :lol

Tr4nce said:

That killed so much of the enjoyment in GTA4; god I hope they backed away from the heavily scripted missions in this.

MMaRsu said:
Invincible horse?

Maybe it will be like GTA3 where you have to go pick up a horse and bring it back to the stable but if you keep it instead it's fireproof. Also, how long until we hear those anti-animal right tools at PETA pretend to cry about the ability to shoot horses.

edbrat

you lot are so quick playing games compared to me, I was well over 40 hours in GTA when I completed main missions and I didn't do loads of side stuff. That "Liberty City Minute" achievement of completing main story in under 30 hours would have rushing way more than I would be comfortable with. Am also approaching 45 hours in JC2 and still have loads of faction missions and 2 agency missions left, completion percentage at just over 30 per cent damnit :lol

With these open world games, always felt the 'game' is simply the world itself and the missions, stuff to do, are just the developers way of showcasing that world. A lot of the fun I have comes from learning how to enjoy and experience that world by myself, something JC2 allows you to do so well.

anyway preordered RDR limited edition for ps3 last night and am REALLY looking forward to this, todays reviews are way better than I expected. Have no doubts as to whether I will enjoy it given I absolutely loved GTA4 and both expansions and am always slightly bemused by how much negativity they attract, oh well :) In Rockstar I trust!

Zeliard

MMaRsu said:
Invincible horse?

The stuff of nightmares. :lol

I've seen horses get owned in streams, though. It looks crazy when you shoot a horse that's gunning it and watch someone fly off.

Zeliard

BobTheFork said:
Maybe it will be like GTA3 where you have to go pick up a horse and bring it back to the stable but if you keep it instead it's fireproof. Also, how long until we hear those anti-animal right tools at PETA pretend to cry about the ability to shoot horses.

One of the reviews, I think Sharkey's for 1UP (fun read), said that you can literally shoot your own horse in the head as you're riding it.

PETA's gonna shit themselves. :lol

edbrat

BobTheFork said:
some douches are talking ending spoilers so I bailed.

yeah i recall watching some sony (i think it was) press event on Justin.tv and someone was charmingly spoiling both GoW3 and HR on there over and over again.

I caught a glimpse of one and forced myself not to register it..but damn :(

Gravijah

Zeliard said:
One of the reviews, I think Sharkey's for 1UP (fun read), said that you can literally shoot your own horse in the head as you're riding it.

My character is going to be one despicable fucking person, I already know it.

I have been playing for about 3 days and I keep killing my horse accidentally and every time I do I think I'm losing the upgraded horse I had. They all seem the same. They fall off a cliff I skin my horse, its not worth much better than let it go to waste :D

Edit: Im not shooting my horse I try to walk down cliffs a little too often. also the map doesn't seem very large.

Zeliard said:

Yeah some jerkoff in the early streams did that 5 times in a row. It was funny the first time but afterwards you just felt bad. :\

Barrett2

This is simply a beautiful game, and it's provided more than a few moments where I completely forgot where the hell I was supposed to be going while riding over golden hills at sunset or through the desert in the middle of a nighttime lightning storm. It doesn't quite convey the loneliness of the real empty spaces, but does compress the essence of all the varieties of land and weather native to those parts into a few hundred miles ride.

From the 1UP Review

FrankT

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
One question:

360 or PS3 version?

The real answer Wii. Done. Everyboday wins right.

Just go back a few pages if you really want the review comparisons and after that all I can say is it comes down to controller and friends. Unless you just feel like waiting for the DF analysis.

Flib

I can't believe this is the one early release I can't find in NYC. Of all games, my most hyped one. Gah. Work is going to suck the rest of today and tomorrow.

Top Bottom