• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

DMeisterJ

Banned
Have to use the R2/L2 to shoot? I guess I just found my reason to buy some RealTriggers.

Fake-edit:

Shit, the fucking shipping is more than the item itself. I guess I should just spring for 1-day delivery to ultimately get fucked over.

Flib said:
I can't believe this is the one early release I can't find in NYC. Of all games, my most hyped one. Gah. Work is going to suck the rest of today and tomorrow.

I'd be incredibly surprised if you couldn't find it after work today.

DMeisterJ said:
Have to use the R2/L2 to shoot? I guess I just found my reason to buy some RealTriggers.

Fake-edit:

Shit, the fucking shipping is more than the item itself. I guess I should just spring for 1-day delivery to ultimately get fucked over.
so what's up with these 'real triggers' i always hear about. I have never had aproblem using the triggers now and from what I can tell the real triggers are just extensions so your finger doesn't slip off? Is there anywhere not online I can buy controller mods like that. I just got some new sticks and I think I want some analog caps on them, maybe those triggers if there is a reason.

Bloodrage

Banned
Flib said:
I can't believe this is the one early release I can't find in NYC. Of all games, my most hyped one. Gah. Work is going to suck the rest of today and tomorrow.
I know a place. They'll be closing in 4 hours.

owlbeak

BobTheFork said:
so what's up with these 'real triggers' i always hear about. I have never had aproblem using the triggers now and from what I can tell the real triggers are just extensions so your finger doesn't slip off? Is there anywhere not online I can buy controller mods like that. I just got some new sticks and I think I want some analog caps on them, maybe those triggers if there is a reason.
Yeah, they're just a sort of clip-on plastic trigger that goes over the R2/L2 buttons to make them more finger friendly like the 360 controller. They're pretty decent actually. You might find them in a Gamestop/EB.

Mikey Jr.

DMeisterJ said:

Fake-edit:

Wait, R2 to SHOOT!?!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????

wizword

Banned
I have been reading these reviews. And they all sound like rockstar bullshit pr. I am guessing this game is similar to GTA 4 and am going to wait for people to play it.

ckohler

DMeisterJ said:
I think they sell those at Walmart.

ckohler said:
Can you free roam with only your friends? I don't want to have to share the game world with strangers, just my friends.
C'mon guys, this isn't is difficult question to answer. Inquiring minds want to know. Anybody?

Bloodrage said:
I know a place. They'll be closing in 4 hours.
c130hercules.gif

Horsebite said:
Yeah, they're just a sort of clip-on plastic trigger that goes over the R2/L2 buttons to make them more finger friendly like the 360 controller. They're pretty decent actually. You might find them in a Gamestop/EB.
oh. See I was hoping they would be add-ons that made it more like a clickable button (like R1 and L1)

dread9

Banned
Flib said:

How bout videogamesny?

Darkman M

wizword said:
I have been reading these reviews. And they all sound like rockstar bullshit pr. I am guessing this game is similar to GTA 4 and am going to wait for people to play it.

Nah this game is the real deal, i didn't buy into the gta iv hype, but this one i do.

Zeliard

Revolutionary said:
Yeah some jerkoff in the early streams did that 5 times in a row. It was funny the first time but afterwards you just felt bad. :\

Well, yeah, after some point it sort of just becomes odd.

Besides, it's much funner to shoot other horses. ;)

Although, even though I've never been the "play as a good guy" sort in these games, I'm still gonna try to keep the horses in the game alive as much as possible. It's obviously much easier to aim at the horse itself during a gunfight since it's a much bigger target, but sniping a guy on horseback while he's zooming across the plains sounds like a true delight. :p

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So I wonder how we, the great members of GAF, will pick/choose/divide the posse's? How should we make this happen?

That's the thing. How do these Posses work (I'm so going to accidentally tpe pussys eventually)? Only 8 players to a group. Is there an ingame clan that we can create and then just join up with other gaf posse members when they are online?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
When I woke up, I had hoped that the reviews would have been posted. And yeah, I just knew Eurogamer's score would be lower than anyone else. It's like clockwork. :lol

LovingSteam said:
Anybody have the new list of games to trade in at Gamestop for $40 off?

edit: its back now weird!

not like it matters, they have another deal going on for 30% more on trades, I actually got $65 for my 2 games that would have only gotten me $40 from the other promo.

I would just head down and see what you can get.

I haven't really been following this game or this thread but I have a couple quick questions:

1) Is the gameplay pretty much GTAIV as a western?

2) If so, are there checkpoints during long missions? That's what killed GTAIV for me.

Magnus

Oh fuck me, had a weird power surge in the house and my launch 360 RROD'd. :lol :lol

Seems fine now though after I powered it off and on.

Magnus said:
Oh fuck me, had a weird power surge in the house and my launch 360 RROD'd. :lol :lol

mine did that once when I hit the power plug on accident.. scared the living shit out of me..

my 360 now has no case and I have to push on a chip to make graphic errors go away before playing anything, I am sure RDR will be its swan song!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Magnus said:

That's not RROD. It happens when the power blows out. :lol

Teknoman

The Lamonster said:
I haven't really been following this game or this thread but I have a couple quick questions:

2) If so, are there checkpoints during long missions? That's what killed GTAIV for me.

1.) no, not really. Its still a free roam game, but has more random events, and is a bit more serious.

2.) cant really say for now.

DeadGzuz

Banned
MercuryLS said:
Supposedly only happens when things get hairy. X360 version has some framedrops too but not as bad.

This talk is almost nonsense until someone can quantify it with software and a capture card. Lens of Truth, PS360 or even DF.

JoeBoy101

The Lamonster said:

1) At the very basic core gameplay (open world, mission points, etc), yes. That's not really doing it much justice though, it sounds like.

2) Yes

Magnus

TheCardPlayer said:
That's not RROD. It happens when the power blows out. :lol

Gotcha, awesome. :lol Old bitch is still kicking, then.

And yeah, long missions (hell, even medium-sized ones) have checkpoints, though not as often as you'd like. Didn't GTA4 to some degree?

JoeBoy101

JetBlackPanda said:
mine did that once when I hit the power plug on accident.. scared the living shit out of me..

my 360 now has no case and I have to push on a chip to make graphic errors go away before playing anything, I am sure RDR will be its swan song!

My Disc Player only recognizes the disc half the time. Need to get it on the HDD quick to minimize problems. Can't imagine it has much life left in it.

JBuccCP

Also on the checkpoints it's not like the GTA expansions where it plops you back in the world and asks if you want to retry. When you die it just reloads automatically at the last checkpoint like a good checkpoint system should.

Magnus said:
Gotcha, awesome. :lol Old bitch is still kicking, then.

And yeah, long missions (hell, even medium-sized ones) have checkpoints, though not as often as you'd like. Didn't GTA4 to some degree?
The new episodes had an improved version of that. GTA$ did to a very small extent but they didn't put them after long unskippable sections of missions :p

Zeliard

I almost bought RDR on PS3 because I'm so tired of the dogshit 360 hardware. RROD is by far the worst thing about this gen.

FrankT

JBuccCP said:
Also on the checkpoints it's not like the GTA expansions where it plops you back in the world and asks if you want to retry. When you die it just reloads automatically at the last checkpoint like a good checkpoint system should.

Pssh, it better hehe.

Zeliard said:
I almost bought RDR on PS3 because I'm so tired of the dogshit 360 hardware. RROD is by far the worst thing about this gen.
Agreed. It's actually unacceptable, but this is Microsoft who are allowed to say and do whatever they want.

A7MAD

Banned
They really need a head to head - Lens of Truth style review, I've read the 360 version is indeed 720p with 2XAA & the PS3 is still uncertain but has V-Sync enabled.

Color palette looks different also.

wizword said:

You're probably doing the sensible thing. I'm picking it up tomorrow, but I totally understand why you're leery of the whole Rockstar PR fuckery.

Thing is, I had a lot of fun with Gun. Even if this game is only slightly better than that, I'm sure I'll get a fair bit of enjoyment out of it.

Top Bottom