• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Salz01 said:
In Freeroam, when the leader sets the waypoint, should the other posse members see the waypoint path on their mini map as well? I could have sworn this should be happening but dont know if its bugged, and not happening. Because they have to follow me to the point to where we want to be going.

Also, Freeroam is cool, but it will get old fast if they dont add those mission packs soon. So far you can only do hunting challenges, collecting flowers, and bandit hideouts. And we probably did half the bandit hideouts last night before taking pot shots at each other.

It worked for another gaffer and myself in a private free roam session yesterday, but who knows in the open waters of public free roam.

So I guess invisible map markers can be added to the list of MP free roam glitches? :lol

fix this shit R*

Oh and FYI whoever was asking about the MP glitches, I've only seen them in free roam. The competitive modes are all gold. I've heard complaints about the guns not killing people, but I think that's due to a lack of skill and weak starter weapons. If you want to kill someone quickly, you MUST aim for the head or it's going to take atleast 4 or 5 shots, not counting your misses. The mexi-stand-off to start each round is a chaotic blast, everyone with a mic raves about it on Live.

Fake Edit: I'll definitely send you an invite if/when I get a posse going Jambi!

Only managed to play it for two hours...but wow.

Screw the quests. I've just been riding around on my horse, hunting animals and picking herbs.

It's wonderful. :)

Oh...and the gathering up of bits for new outfits is clever as well.

REALLY enjoying this so far.

Timekiller said:
That's vvery interesting, seriously! I'd like to know what draws you in so much :)

I'll tell you when I put the game down enough to come to a conclusion. :)

So far this is brilliant. Finally a game with actually good writing though, wow.

Salz01

sw33tclyde said:
It worked for another gaffer and myself in a private free roam session yesterday, but who knows in the open waters of public free roam.

So I guess invisible map markers can be added to the list of MP free roam glitches? :lol

fix this shit R*

Oh and FYI whoever was asking about the MP glitches, I've only seen them in free roam. The competitive modes are all gold. I've heard complaints about the guns not killing people, but I think that's due to a lack of skill and weak starter weapons. If you want to kill someone quickly, you MUST aim for the head or it's going to take atleast 4 or 5 shots, not counting your misses. The mexi-stand-off to start each round is a chaotic blast, everyone with a mic raves about it on Live.

Fake Edit: I'll definitely send you an invite if/when I get a posse going Jambi!

Yea we were in a private free roam mode. Thats good to know it should be working. I'll be looking out for the patch fix for it.

Haunted

871587546_8WNjR-L.jpg

Mik2121

Oh god... Don't know what to do...
I preordered the US version via Play-Asia but they have not shipped it yet.
And supposedly a store near my house is getting the Asian (English) version tomorrow, so I could be playing it in less than 24 hours from now, but if I wait for Play-Asia I dunno when will I receive it. The problem with the Asian version though is that if they release any paid DLC I would have to buy it from that store and I don't even have a HK account.. :(

What would you guys do? I think I'll go with the Asian version... Do you guys think there will be any problem playing online with people with the US or EU version?

Haunted

Mik2121 said:
Oh god... Don't know what to do...
I preordered the US version via Play-Asia but they have not shipped it yet.
And supposedly a store near my house is getting the Asian (English) version tomorrow, so I could be playing it in less than 24 hours from now, but if I wait for Play-Asia I dunno when will I receive it. The problem with the Asian version though is that if they release any paid DLC I would have to buy it from that store and I don't even have a HK account.. :(

What would you guys do? I think I'll go with the Asian version... Do you guys think there will be any problem playing online with people with the US or EU version?
The online is region-free, no? As long as your connection's good enough, there shouldn't be too many problems.

Salz01

I hope at Level 50, I'm able to unlock corona's or some sort of cerveza for my Mexican Bandito. I want to be swigging beer in one hand and taking pot shots with my gun in the other.

Barrett2

Sweet Jesus, it's going to be a long day of work. Played a few more hours last night, game just keeps getting better and better. Was heading back to the ranch after a mission when i saw a faint campfire about 100 ft off the road. I cautiously approached, saw two cowboys sitting by the fire. I joined them, sat on a log and listened to one of them tell a story. Then after a night's rest i woke up bright & early to rustle some cattle and corral horses.

GOTMFY

Mik2121

Haunted said:
The online is region-free, no? As long as your connection's good enough, there shouldn't be too many problems.
It should, but then again the Japanese version of GTAIV was locked (...), but I dunno if the Asian version was locked as well, or not (doubt it, but hey..).

That and the DLC are the only things stopping me from just canceling the preorder and buying the game tomorrow..

aristotle

heringer said:
How's the multiplayer? Also, anybody playing the PS3 version? Does it look better or at least runs better than GTAIV?

I personally hated GTA4. I couldn't get it to run at all until the first patch was released and it was still choppy as hell. Red Dead runs perfectly :). I adore it. Get it!

mujun

Mik2121 said:
It should, but then again the Japanese version of GTAIV was locked (...), but I dunno if the Asian version was locked as well, or not (doubt it, but hey..).

That and the DLC are the only things stopping me from just canceling the preorder and buying the game tomorrow..

There's no guarantee but usually the DLC works no matter what the region.

ME2 DLC was fine for me (Japanese account, Japanese machine, Asian version of the game).

Dragon Age however was not.

Also on the 360 you can log in to an alternate account that is for the territory that has the DLC on the marketplace, use your code, sign back in to your main account and use it in many cases. I'd say you'll be safe with this game. Check a site called Gaijin Gamers, someone on there might have already tried and be able to give you a certain answer.

EDIT: My Asian version of GTAIV let me play with people from the U.S and other countries online no probs. Again, that was on the 360.

anddo0 said:
Any tips on playing the horseshoe game? I suck :(
Try pulling back on the right stick and swinging it forward a few times, seeing if you can get it to turn green, that's the right speed. Then, with a green swing, hit the trigger in the middle of your throw. Oh, and make sure you've lined up your shot with the left trigger before you start any of this.

MaxSteel

UltimaPooh said:
It's hard to be bad?

Something a lot of other games in the same vein seem to fail at. Being bad in other games is pretty easy and you just get arrested or something. This one will just keep that bounty on your head until you decide to pay up and fly straight.

yeah that's the thing - i'd like to be bad, still be able to complete missions, but not spend all my cash on freeing my bounties. especially when i kill some random person in the middle of the desert - why should that raise my bounty? no one knows it's me.

am i making sense?

So my RDR came with a printout inside the case with a Golden Gun code, then Amazon emails me another (different) golden gun code-- I guess I have 2 now? Anyone want to trade? :lol

Mik2121

mujun said:
There's no guarantee but usually the DLC works no matter what the region.

ME2 DLC was fine for me (Japanese account, Japanese machine, Asian version of the game).

Dragon Age however was not.

Also on the 360 you can log in to an alternate account that is for the territory that has the DLC on the marketplace, use your code, sign back in to your main account and use it in many cases. I'd say you'll be safe with this game. Check a site called Gaijin Gamers, someone on there might have already tried and be able to give you a certain answer.

EDIT: My Asian version of GTAIV let me play with people from the U.S and other countries online no probs. Again, that was on the 360.
If GTA worked (even if it were the 360), I'd guess it will work on the PS3 too.
I will check the site you said, but otherwise I guess I'll have to find out by myself. Once I get the game I will try playing online with someone. If it doesn't work, I'll try to sell the game to someone and just wait for the Play-Asia preorder to arrive.

As for the DLC, yeah, the free one I can just create a HK account, download it and then just continue playing on my main account (Japanese). It was only that having to create an account and keeping it was a bit cumbersome..

depths20XX

Got to play for 3 hours last night. Did a few missions and explored as much as I could. The game world feels much more alive in this compared to GTA. Hunting is more satisfying than I thought it would be and I spent a lot of time on it. There's also some really beautiful moments that surprise you sometime. Not a huge fan of Marsten though, he's not a very 'cool' character and he's not all that interesting to be honest. Maybe he gets better as the story goes on though.

depths20XX

MaxSteel said:
yeah that's the thing - i'd like to be bad, still be able to complete missions, but not spend all my cash on freeing my bounties. especially when i kill some random person in the middle of the desert - why should that raise my bounty? no one knows it's me.

am i making sense?

I could have swore yesterday I got my bounty up to $500+ then I bought property, slept, and woke up and the bounty was gone.

Hung Wei Lo

Dresden said:
go to the website they list on the card and enter it there.

did I break something? I entered the code, and received an email (says it's the soundtrack download link), but it links me back to the R* page (where it says i should be receiving a zip file via email) saying I already downloaded it :(

MomoPufflet said:
So my RDR came with a printout inside the case with a Golden Gun code, then Amazon emails me another (different) golden gun code-- I guess I have 2 now? Anyone want to trade? :lol

I'm in the same boat. I already redeemed the one that came in the case so the emailed code is up for grabs if someone wants to trade (360 version).

sw33tclyde said:
I just let it run it's course, I'm not really sure about that aspect though sorry. I was half drunk and stoned when I did the tutorial on dueling so I don't really remember. :lol

Oh yeah, no problem :lol I think it does have to run the full time.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
heringer said:
How's the multiplayer? Also, anybody playing the PS3 version? Does it look better or at least runs better than GTAIV?

Free Roam multiplayer was completely broken for me and everyone else I was trying to play with last night. We finally got into some gang matches with other players, and everything was perfect. So, I would say stay away from Free Roam until its patched....invisible horses, guns, and yourself in free roam is really annoying. Constant network drops, and general bugginess are hampering that experience right now. Although the invisible guns are pretty funny...just picture playing cowboys and indians when you were 10...

Compared to GTAIV, yes it seems to run better and definitely looks better. Although it certainly controls the same. Marsden feels a little lighter on his feet than Niko, but its pretty much the same feel when you are running around.

Cant comment on the PS3 version though man, 360 for me.

eznark

Banned
How do I get new guns in multiplayer? Running around on my donkey shooting a gentleman pea-shooter isn't real effective. I did manage 5 kills or so, including the Rock Star one...but I think he just stood there and let me kill him.

JonnyAvacado said:
Although the invisible guns are pretty funny...just picture playing cowboys and indians when you were 10...

Riding on an invisible horse is fucking hilarious! Especially if you make it rear back.. my friend and I were having a good time last night making lewd comments about our Mexican and Irish avatars thrusting wildly while floating 5 or 6 feet off of the ground. :lol

eznark said:
How do I get new guns in multiplayer? Running around on my donkey shooting a gentleman pea-shooter isn't real effective. I did manage 5 kills or so, including the Rock Star one...but I think he just stood there and let me kill him.

Just play competitive modes until you get to level 3 or 4, whatever it takes to unlock a horse. That burro is ridiculously slow.

JoeBoy101

Eaten By A Grue said:
I finally got the Best Buy warhorse exclusive unlocked, but I can't find the damn thing :-(. It was not in multiplayer customization when selecting a steed and it did not come over when I whistled in single player.

Check your inventory, and you'll see a certificate for the War horse. Use the certificate. And Yes, she's a beaut.

Dries said:
Quick question: Is that treasure hunting sidequest thingie (where you had a map and had to look for a similar location) still in? You saw it in one of those trailer videos. And how does it work?

Oh, yes it is. Got a treasure map and its essentially a hand drawn perspective of an area in the world with a X drawn on it. No waypoints. No instructions. Got to match up the map to somewhere in game. Not easy at all, given the size of the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Good game so far. I have to say going from playing a bit of AC2 to this makes RDR seems infinitely better, I can actually take the main character seriously instead of being reminded of Adam Sandler with an Italian accent.

One complaint though, they should have allowed L1 aim/R1 shoot as an option, with R2 weapon reload and circle for cover, would work WAY better than the current scheme.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
sw33tclyde said:
Riding on an invisible horse is fucking hilarious! Especially if you make it rear back.. my friend and I were having a good time last night making lewd comments about our Mexican and Irish avatars thrusting wildly while floating 5 or 6 feet off of the ground. :lol

Very fucking true man, yeah riding the invisible steed is funny as hell. I forgot about that one :D :lol

eznark

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Good game so far. I have to say going from playing a bit of AC2 to this makes RDR seems infinitely better, I can actually take the main character seriously instead of being reminded of Adam Sandler with an Italian accent.

One complaint though, they should have allowed L1 aim/R1 shoot as an option, with R2 weapon reload and circle for cover, would work WAY better than the current scheme.

He reminds me of a gruff Jason Lee as Earl.

It's disconcerting at times.

489047493_s.jpg

:lol I just noticed this, it's Dwight Yoakam right? My dad used to listen to him all the time, also he had one of the funniest lines ever written:

"I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture."

:lol :lol <3 slingblade

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
sw33tclyde said:
489047493_s.jpg

:lol I just noticed this, it's Dwight Yoakam right? My dad used to listen to him all the time, also he had one of the funniest lines ever written:

"I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture."

:lol :lol <3 slingblade

Thats exactly right, Doyle Hargraves (Dwight Yoakam) is quite possibly one of the funniest characters to ever exist. :lol

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Should not have popped this game into the console last night.

Sleep FAIL.

Well I only got to play about 15 minutes as I put in Alan Wake first.
Man does this games lighting look good. Really looks like a sun drenched land scape more than any other game.
And the flags. Best flags ever?:D

JoeBoy101

Some impressions from a night of play:

Combat - Oh, so beautifully done. I have it on Normal and the game may seem easy, with the snap to targeting. It is, right up to the point when you DON'T get the upper hand on your enemies, then your dead REAL quick. I thought it was somewhat easy until my first ambush and I got hit 6 times in less than 3 seconds. The ebb and flow of combat is very nicely done, with cover and an actual flow to combat. That is very hard to model, but the power of the weapons and the lack of armor really conveys it.

Graphics - GTFO. No open world game has looked this good except on the PC. And its not just the technology but the loving care in recreating the West. The cacti, the rocks, dust devils, and, in a very nice touch, the rain puddles that collect in town.

Sound - Same as graphics. Good music, very well done dialogue, guns that sound authentic. One note on the guns is how well the sound is done that nearby and up close, they strike like hammers, but at distance, you get the POP POP POP sounds.

Gameplay - Sweet Jesus. It took me two hours to get from Bonnie's Ranch to Armadillo. Hunting deer, bucks, coyote. Picking flowers. Exploring the terrain. Even before I started getting random events. The most striking one so far being, ala Unforgiven,
the prostitute being chased down by a knife wielding cowboy, intent on stabbing her to death. Managed to kill him before he killed her. More fame and money to me.
The minigames and diversions just suck your ass in like nothing I've seen before. From Five Finger Fillet, to what looked to me like a robust Poker game, I almost don't need the main game missions. Bounties, nighttime patrols, and random events have given me more than enough to do already.

Quick Question for the crowd: I have NOT been able to use Dead Eye yet. Do I need to refill the meter or hit a specific mission that unlocks it. Several random events (
The guy getting unjustly hanged, or the mob dragging the guy behind them
) would really have benefited from using it, but I can't get it to work.

Dries

JoeBoy101 said:
Check your inventory, and you'll see a certificate for the War horse. Use the certificate. And Yes, she's a beaut.

Oh, yes it is. Got a treasure map and its essentially a hand drawn perspective of an area in the world with a X drawn on it. No waypoints. No instructions. Got to match up the map to somewhere in game. Not easy at all, given the size of the game.

Great. Thanks dude.

bunbun777

PS3 MP Impressions:

No probs or glitches- my mike is working great no audio issues-no issues with joining or staying in games: only played 5 in a row so far though:

Freeroam is a blast- I am currently level 11 as Antonio Xavier the lovable misc Mexican with the sombrero and double bandeleros. I took pot shots at a posse attempting to bring out a gold cart and also helped them with killing some of the treasure hunters. It is so fun riding around on your steed coming over a hill and blam- semi shotgun or repeater pistol!

Joined a 3 man posse and we entered free mode (i think)- only got the game up to 6 players, but we won 4 matches in a row, I got top dude the first three matches. I love the intro shoot outs, finding powerful weapons, everyone seems to be pretty low level...

I can not wait to unlock non auto aim MP- that's when it gets really good methinks.

Dude Abides

Banned
Grabbed the very last copy for 360 at my local Gamestop. They were sold out of PS3 copies as well. Really like the writing and Marston's voice acting.

Top Bottom