• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JoeBoy101

Posting my Question for the new page.

Quick Question for the crowd: I have NOT been able to use Dead Eye yet. Do I need to refill the meter or hit a specific mission that unlocks it. Several random events (
The guy getting unjustly hanged, or the mob dragging the guy behind them
) would really have benefited from using it, but I can't get it to work.

JoeBoy101 said:
Quick Question for the crowd: I have NOT been able to use Dead Eye yet. Do I need to refill the meter or hit a specific mission that unlocks it. Several random events (
The guy getting unjustly hanged, or the mob dragging the guy behind them
) would really have benefited from using it, but I can't get it to work.

I think you start out with level one DE(click the right thumbstick in to slow time) and you get upgraded versions as you progress.

JoeBoy101

sw33tclyde said:
I think you start out with level one DE(click the right thumbstick in to slow time) and you get upgraded versions as you progress.

Doing that gives me the chase view, or the view behind me.

Biff

After beating one of the early missions, I got a hint saying something like 'If you want to skip the long travel back to town, simply press....'

I couldn't read it in time, and by the time I checked my journal, that entry was cut-off at the bottom of the list.

So if someone would be so kind as to fill that hint in for me.. I'm assuming it has something to do with setting waypoints and then pressing a button to transport to the end of the waypoint back to town?

JoeBoy101 said:
Doing that gives me the chase view, or the view behind me.

Ah I forgot to mention, you have to be aiming down the sights(LT or L2) to activate it. Heh, I actually explained this to someone on Live last night and they said the same thing you just did. You'd think I would have learned.. :p

pr0cs

Great game so far, I can't help but hope that R* does more period type games because the engine seems to really suit it.
Middle Ages/Crusades
Pirates (as was mentioned)
Industrial Revolution
Roaring 20's
and so on.

I'm particularly impressed with the AI, I love random shit happening and this game has a ton of it. perhaps maybe a little too much going on (even out in the middle of no-where there is someone shooting someone) but in general I've seen so many funny/strange cool events that I haven't been forced to go to the story too much yet.

The towns feel very authentic, random robbings/muggings, drunk and disorderlies, lynchings, etc etc. Chaotic but cool.

I only played free roam for a while but it was really buggy, I would disappear/enemies would disappear, etc. Nearly everyone was an outlaw or something so running around in free roam wasn't that fun because I died nearly any time I went near any other players.

Gravijah

pr0cs said:
Great game so far, I can't help but hope that R* does more period type games because the engine seems to really suit it.
Middle Ages/Crusades
Pirates (as was mentioned)
Industrial Revolution
Roaring 20's
and so on.

I'm particularly impressed with the AI, I love random shit happening and this game has a ton of it. perhaps maybe a little too much going on (even out in the middle of no-where there is someone shooting someone) but in general I've seen so many funny/strange cool events that I haven't been forced to go to the story too much yet.

The towns feel very authentic, random robbings/muggings, drunk and disorderlies, lynchings, etc etc. Chaotic but cool.

I only played free roam for a while but it was really buggy, I would disappear/enemies would disappear, etc. Nearly everyone was an outlaw or something so running around in free roam wasn't that fun because I died nearly any time I went near any other players.

Whenever I'm in a public match I just run around killing people with my sound down. I can see the person using their mic, but I have no idea what they're saying. :lol

Ranger X

Awesome game so far!

I've been raiding Bandits Hideouts and clearing Hunting grounds in coop and I had a blast.

The only things I don't like right now is that you can't swim and you can't fucking brake with the horses...

Gravijah said:
Whenever I'm in a public match I just run around killing people with my sound down. I can see the person using their mic, but I have no idea what they're saying. :lol

Turn it up if you play competitive matches, shit-talking before a showdown is epic. :D

The only things I don't like right now is that you can't swim and you can't fucking brake with the horses...

Edit: Errr, I mean hit RB/R1, you stop pretty quickly :)

FrankT

ThirdEngine said:
How the hell do you hogtie someone? >.>

After lasso walk up and press Y.

Haunted said:
100 million in dev costs without giving a source? oh my.

This is actually pretty interesting as it is the 2nd time I've seen this stated in a source today. Almost thread worthy in itself if it did push $100 million.

the graphics and overall IQ of this game are very impressive. i'm playing on 360 here and it can be downright beautiful at times.

after playing freeroam for a few hours with a buddy I truly hope more missions and the minigames are added in future DLC. the first announced DLC with the coop missions is a great start but I hope it doesnt stop there. if they add a good amount of variety i will be playing this with a few friends for a long time.

campaign is great so far, no complaints about that. great job R*.

Skiptastic said:
There's gotta be an easier way to lasso people. It seems like I rope people, then immediately lose the lasso and have to do it over and over again.

happened to me as well a few times. keep holding the L trigger even after you lasso someone, otherwise you lose it.

Skiptastic said:
There's gotta be an easier way to lasso people. It seems like I rope people, then immediately lose the lasso and have to do it over and over again.

You've gotta hold the LT until you hogtie them or they are set loose, just like when you're breaking the horses.

painey

Skiptastic said:

You have to hold down LT the whole time.. they don't explain it in the tutorial and it took me about 40 attempts to catch a horse because of it.

painey said:
You have to hold down LT the whole time.. they don't explain it in the tutorial and it took me about 40 attempts to catch a horse because of it.

sw33tclyde said:
You've gotta hold the LT until you hogtie them or they are set loose, just like when you're breaking the horses.

Oh for fuck's sakes...:lol

Thanks to the both of you. I'll probably not have much trouble in the future now.

Fun game. Played for about 3 and a half hours last night. The open spaces really suit this engine more than the cramped cities of GTA, in my opinion.

Gravijah

Curious about something. The only time I ever see the framerate go down noticeably is when the game zooms in characters walking/etc in cutscenes. Is this because the game turns Euphoria on to the extreme to better mimic human movement? Is it because of better textures being shown? Mostly just a curiosity, I think I remember this in GTAIV too.

Three things I've learned:

Breaking horses
: beats every minigame in GTAIV, plus fits seamlessly into the story.

2. Being spawned in Thieves Landing was fun because the law absolutely does not care how many sailors and horse thieves you mow down with your semi-auto shotgun and automatic .45.

3. Dr. Dingus's Liquid Cure-All will make you shoot tapeworms out of your ass.

DeuceMojo said:
Three things I've learned:

Breaking horses
: beats every minigame in GTAIV, plus fits seamlessly into the story.

2. Being spawned in Thieves Landing was fun because the law absolutely does not care how many sailors and horse thieves you mow down with your semi-auto shotgun and automatic .45.

3. Dr. Dingus's Liquid Cure-All will make you shoot tapeworms out of your ass.

This follows yours

Where do you break horses at?

2. Still haven't been there and no clue when I get to spawn there. I want that elegant suit that I can buy there.

3. That movie was f-in great

sw33tclyde said:
Dunno for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not available in MP.

i could've sworn R* said it was available in MP during their chat with Kotaku.

:(

edit: i also want to mention that I love the horseshoes minigame, and I think anyone who enjoys it in real life will appreciate the mechanics.

Gravijah

MidnightRider said:
This follows yours

2. Still haven't been there and no clue when I get to spawn there. I want that elegant suit that I can buy there.

Just head over there. I think he was talking MP anyways, but you can go there at any time.

Jtyettis said:
Man what about those sunsets. Seriously some of the best.

I noticed this last night. Was riding back into town and just stopped to take it in.

Gravijah said:
Just head over there. I think he was talking MP anyways, but you can go there at any time.
Is it on the Map? I don't think I've even seen it.

Ranger X said:

Right bumper should stop very fast and I believe the B button stops a little more slowly. On Xbox anyway.

My fave is the X button when standing still, it rears the horse up on its hindquarters. Always very dramatic.

Barrett2

Jtyettis said:
This is actually pretty interesting as it is the 2nd time I've seen this stated in a source today. Almost thread worthy in itself if it did push $100 million.
Yeah, that seems pretty high for a sequel where they already had the engine built. But who knows. Is the marketing budget included in that figure?

The game is great! I played about an hour or so, I had one moment where the game tried to auto save and got stuck in the save process, I had to reboot.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Ok question about the DLC.

I just entered my code and it gave me the deadly assasin outfit, but not the games soundtrack, where do I find it?

And where is the code for the exclusive PS3 content, the top hat?

Gravijah

lawblob said:
Yeah, that seems pretty high for a sequel where they already had the engine built. But who knows. Is the marketing budget included in that figure?

I wonder if it includes the cost of making RAGE, since they're the ones who built it and supposedly THIS was being made for it before GTAIV.
MidnightRider said:
I noticed this last night. Was riding back into town and just stopped to take it in.

Is it on the Map? I don't think I've even seen it.

Should be east of the starting town.

Question: Is the map at the beginning the full map, or will I unlock the blanked off-looking area so the north and south?

Edit: included fold out map makes it seem like thats the full map.

JetBlackPanda said:
The game is great! I played about an hour or so, I had one moment where the game tried to auto save and got stuck in the save process, I had to reboot.

Has this happened to anyone else?

No but I did leave mine on while
walking with the dog
and when I came back I couldn't do anything but pause and unpause

Mrbob

Yeah I was going to add those costs could involve developing the RAGE engine, which Rockstar San Diego developed and Rockstar North used for GTA4.

San Diego's expertise shows with RDR. I bought it on 360 and this game looks way better than GTA4 did on 360. GTA4 on PC is a big upgrade from the 360 version. Red Dead on 360 hangs pretty well with the PC version of GTA4. Especially in terms of texture clarity.

Going through Lost and Damned right now on PC alongside Red Dead...at first I thought John Marston and Johnny Klebitz were the same voice actor, but I looked it up and they are not! Definitely sound similar.

maybe I missed this in-game or something but is there a button to instantly access the map? not having to pause the game to do so would be nice.

I didn't see one.

Drinking Hatorade said:
maybe I missed this in-game or something but is there a button to instantly access the map? not having to pause the game to do so would be nice.

You can hit A a millisecond after you hit start, you don't have to wait for the menu to pop up as it's the first choice.

I have to try to get on multiplayer tonight before I am left in the dust :lol I just am really loving the game I am was never thinking multi first for this title.

If it starts to cheapen the experience for me and take me out of the RDR "vibe" I might just play it as a singleplayer game.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
A friend of a friend gave me the swag that came with his review copy. Cards, a shirt, a pair of dice, and... soap? Apparently it's "Tough on blood and manure", which I guess could come in handy when I actually get the game and potentially shit myself.

I was hoping the dice would be weighted, but sadly they are just regular dice. :(

Definity said:
I keep forgetting you can roll by holding in left trigger and pressing X!
Is it of any use this time? The roll was so slow in GTAIV and covered so little ground. I remember dodging a rocket in MP once, but otherwise it was useless.

Top Bottom