• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gravijah

Grimm Fandango said:
So Amazon just emailed me a code for the golden weapons pack... which was already included as an insert in the 360 copy they gave me. The fuck?

-cough nudge-

Edit: Let me make it clear I'm just kidding. :lol

Barrett2

Anerythristic said:
You haven't killed a horse?

"that didn't feel as good as I thought it would." :lol
Well, I've dropped a few horses that bandits were riding, but I haven't sociopathically executed a horse for no good reason. Though today, my goal is to somehow get a train to run over a horse. Not sure how i will do it.... but I have a few ideas.....

I talk to my bounties when I capture them alive and they're trash talking me along the ride.

Game: "My gang will be looking for you. *Some variation on you'll wish you've never been born*"

Me: "Buddy, I fucking killed your entire gang that was protecting you, looted their bodies, took their weapons, and am using those assets against the other dumb fucks riding horses trying to save you. I've done this the past five minutes and none of your friends seem to understand this. And you're the fourth bounty I've taken in alive today, you dumb sumbitch! YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL, NOW SHUT UP!"

eznark

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
So Amazon just emailed me a code for the golden weapons pack... which was already included as an insert in the 360 copy they gave me. The fuck?

I got an email too, and I'm glad I did since I had no such insert.

pr0cs

Some of the most interesting AI events I've seen:
- bandits trying to shoot a guy who had a treasure map. Everyone ended up dead, so I just looted the corpses and took the map for myself.
- a guy walking in the middle of no where (as I rode by on my horse), gets attacked by coyotes, makes a run for it, trips on a box or something when running and the coyotes maul him to death. Euphoria at it's finest here
- finished skinning a deer outside of Armadillo when I hear whooping and hollering, 4 banditos riding off into the night, shooting into the air, then I realize they have someone tied behind their horses screaming.
- skinning another animal I see someone out of the corner of my eye, he's running away from 3 other guys also on feet. Not that strange until I realize that I'm in the middle of no where, no idea where they came from or where they were going (didn't follow to find out)

Gravijah

Skiptastic said:
I talk to my bounties when I capture them alive and they're trash talking me along the ride.

Game: "My gang will be looking for you. *Some variation on you'll wish you've never been born*"

Me: "Buddy, I fucking killed your entire gang that was protecting you, looted their bodies, took their weapons, and am using those assets against the other dumb fucks riding horses trying to save you. I've done this the past five minutes and none of your friends seem to understand this. And you're the fourth bounty I've taken in alive today, you dumb sumbitch! YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL, NOW SHUT UP!"

Are bounties random, like, I won't RUN THE FUCK OUT OF THEM like I did in GTAIV?

lawblob said:
I haven't sociopathically executed a horse for no good reason. Though today, my goal is to somehow get a train to run over a horse.
:lol If A doesn't equal B, my logic must be rusty.

I tried punching a horse for about 30 seconds, no effect. I was hoping for Blazing Saddles.

Gravijah

DeuceMojo said:

I tried punching a horse for about 30 seconds, no effect. I was hoping for Blazing Saddles.

I found two wild horses stuck going up an incline and falling back down in the swampy area... punched them forever, they never died. :lol

sdornan

How do I capture a bounty alive? I've tried shooting the bounty in the legs a few times and just end up killing him. I haven't gotten the lasso yet.

Gravijah said:
Are bounties random, like, I won't RUN THE FUCK OUT OF THEM like I did in GTAIV?

No clue, it seems every time I save and walk over to the normal bounty place, some old timer is nailing in a new bounty. Really makes it hard for me to keep doing story missions.

sdornan said:
How do I capture a bounty alive? I've tried shooting the bounty in the legs a few times and just end up killing him. I haven't gotten the lasso yet.

Need the lasso.

Salz01

Definity said:
I keep forgetting you can roll by holding in left trigger and pressing X!

SWEET! I was trying to figure out how to roll last night and couldnt figure it out. (Didnt see it in the manual) Thought they might not have included it. Will try this tonight.

Barrett2

DeuceMojo said:

Hey, don't get me wrong, I plan on torturing a few horses in the game, I just haven't done so *yet.* :lol

K' Dash

sw33tclyde said:
Ah I forgot to mention, you have to be aiming down the sights(LT or L2) to activate it. Heh, I actually explained this to someone on Live last night and they said the same thing you just did. You'd think I would have learned.. :p

I was looking for someone to explain me this :D

Seanspeed

Banned
Drinking Hatorade said:
maybe I missed this in-game or something but is there a button to instantly access the map? not having to pause the game to do so would be nice.
Nope, dont think so. A bit of a disappointment for me, too. Maps in huge open world games should be intuitive and quick to use. This system isn't too bad, but having to pause really does take you more 'out of the game', feeling-wise, than it would be if there was a quick-mapped button.

Minor complaint, though.

Barrett2

eznark said:
I'm loving the "fuck the government" vibe so far. This is a narrative I can get behind.

Game needs some middle-aged people sitting in rocking chairs holding "Taft is a socalist" and "keep the guvment out of my medicinal elixer" signs.

sdornan

lawblob said:
Game needs some middle-aged people sitting in rocking chairs holding "Taft is a socalist" and "keep the guvment out of my medicinal elixer" signs.

There's got to be some thinly-veiled tea party references in this game.

bunbun777

i experienced my first ghost glitch-- I was in Tumbleweed in Free roam and after clearing out the gang hideout anytime I would attempt to leave the area- disappearo- if i went back i would reappear though- attempted to go to the outfitter screen (even when I was solid in Tumbleweed) and nothing would show up- as well as no selectable characters- they were there, you just could not see them =(

Patch soon I hope, though it did make me think I was playing a FPS for a sec.

sdornan

bunbun777 said:
i experienced my first ghost glitch-- I was in Tumbleweed in Free roam and after clearing out the gang hideout anytime I would attempt to leave the area- disappearo- if i went back i would reappear though- attempted to go to the outfitter screen (even when I was solid in Tumbleweed) and nothing would show up- as well as no selectable characters- they were there, you just could not see them =(

Patch soon I hope, though it did make me think I was playing a FPS for a sec.

This happens constantly to me.

lawblob said:
Well, I've dropped a few horses that bandits were riding, but I haven't sociopathically executed a horse for no good reason. Though today, my goal is to somehow get a train to run over a horse. Not sure how i will do it.... but I have a few ideas.....

Hmm, I'm playing with a generally moral - but still ruthless - Marston; after the being lured into an ambush by a crying prostitute somewhere in the wilderness outside Armadillo, I spared no bullets on any of the parites involved. 5 Bandits (including the woman acting as bait) and 5 horses met their maker that dark day.

My Marston may be trying to atone for the sins of his past life, but he's certainly no angel.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
So I haven't been on the thread in a few days, but I have a question.

I have a 20 gig 360 hard drive. Should I install RDR?

pr0cs

WreckTheLaw said:
So I haven't been on the thread in a few days, but I have a question.

I have a 20 gig 360 hard drive. Should I install RDR?
If you have room why not install every game you're actively playing?

I haven't jumped into MP yet but is it possible just to set it up so you and a friend can roam around without having randoms jump in the game? (Doing NPC stuff not competitive)

I thought amazon sends u a code for the golden guns weapon pack?

I got my code inside the case on a card? Is this a Canadian thing only? Could have sworn it said they'd email the code to me.

Also no French packaging for me. Woo.

JohngPR

Mine didn't come in the case, but I got an email this morning.

A buddy of mine got his in his game case, so not sure if it's just random or not.

The movies in this game are hilarious. LOL

Anyone know if there's more than one?

flyinpiranha said:
I haven't jumped into MP yet but is it possible just to set it up so you and a friend can roam around without having randoms jump in the game? (Doing NPC stuff not competitive)

You can create private free roam games.

Why the fuck do I keep disappearing in Free Roam? Not only me, but my horse. Or my posse. Or random enemies/animals. It's a real joy to try and mount a horse when both you AND the horse are invisible. And the respawn system in this game is garbage.
I completed the bear melee hunter challenge, which unlocked the Lobo wolf or whatever challenge. I complete that, so now I have to hunt down some legendary boar. I finally make it all the way there and my fucking guy is invisible. Not only that but some of the boars are invisible. I die, respawn, right next to invisible boars. I die again, and this time it respawns me across from the boards, on the other side of a small stream. But of course since my guy for some reason can't even wade through shallow waters, I have to go all the way to the nearest transport, quick travel back to the town nearest the boars, and then ride all the way back to them. All most likely on an invisible horse so I can combat invisible boars again.
Is this a common bug? Is it a server issue or something? I played for 4 hours after picking the game up at midnight and never came across this. Last night and now again today it's constantly happening.

Is anyone having issues with the DLC codes? Here's an experience I had:

I tried redeeming a gamestop code on launch night, but it failed (probably due to the unstable network.)

Then when I later rebooted my game, I noticed that I had, in fact, successfully acquired the DLC.

Later still (after the update/patch), the DLC disappeared. I tried redeeming the code again, but it failed. I believe the connection may have timed out 'cause I got an error message that said something along those lines.

WTF is going on?

ckohler

Bumblebeetuna said:
Why the fuck do I keep disappearing in Free Roam? Not only me, but my horse. Or my posse. Or random enemies/animals. It's a real joy to try and mount a horse when both you AND the horse are invisible.

Sounds bad. The worst I've seen so far is a weird visual glitch when someone fast traveled. Otherwise it's been pretty good. It could certainly be worse. :D

As of this moment. Add yourself

3308r5d.jpg

You guys should posse up and rep GAF

sdornan said:
There's got to be some thinly-veiled tea party references in this game.
Half of it is libertarian bullshit that Rockstar probably thinks is funny,

The other half is actually what the west is like. Seriously. It transformed me from a cheesy easterner into a hat-wearing, truck-driving, non-gay Marlboro man outlaw.

aristotle

MortalMonkey said:
Is anyone having issues with the DLC codes? Here's an experience I had:

I tried redeeming a gamestop code on launch night, but it failed (probably due to the unstable network.)

Then when I later rebooted my game, I noticed that I had, in fact, successfully acquired the DLC.

Later still (after the update/patch), the DLC disappeared. I tried redeeming the code again, but it failed. I believe the connection may have timed out 'cause I got an error message that said something along those lines.

WTF is going on?

That happened to me yesterday. But when I looked in the outfit panel, the suit I have is still there. I think it just says you redeemed it at first, but it doesn't say it's redeemed afterwords. Maybe try that?

Teknoman

Anerythristic said:
I have to try to get on multiplayer tonight before I am left in the dust :lol I just am really loving the game I am was never thinking multi first for this title.

If it starts to cheapen the experience for me and take me out of the RDR "vibe" I might just play it as a singleplayer game.

It doesnt, at least in free roam mode.

criesofthepast said:
I thought amazon sends u a code for the golden guns weapon pack?

I got my code inside the case on a card? Is this a Canadian thing only? Could have sworn it said they'd email the code to me.

Also no French packaging for me. Woo.

What is your avatar from. The original one.

stupei

Bumblebeetuna said:
Why the fuck do I keep disappearing in Free Roam? Not only me, but my horse. Or my posse. Or random enemies/animals. It's a real joy to try and mount a horse when both you AND the horse are invisible.

Not sure how common it is, but I was doing okay most of last night, turned it off for a little while, and then tried picking up a game online with a friend. First he kept saying he was invisible -- I could see him just fine -- and then the network kept dropping one of us or some of the other people in our free roam session. So maybe it is a server thing? I don't know.

Alucrid

Banned
Question about Rockstar social. I got it and everything but the outfit that's supposed to unlock with it isn't showing up. Anyone?

Top Bottom