• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

TheKurgan

Since there seems to be a lot of extra ones floating around - If anyone has an extra "Golden Gun" code from Amazon for the PS3 I would put it to good use. Please and thanks. :D

Also working for a living sucks! All I have done today is F5 this thread and count the minutes until I can go home.

Artex said:
As long as you don't go in the comparison thread, you'll love it! I have the PS3 version, have played both, and prefer the PS3 version simply for the controller. Great game thus far!

awesome. will probably pick this up then.

SaitoH

Ended up only playing Free Roam last night with some friends and am kind of confused about one aspect. Why does only the leader get credit for completing missions? Am I missing an option, or is this a design choice? Seems odd to me.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but:

Just a heads up to anyone who's wanting Red Dead Redemption on PS3 in the UK that there's going to be a nationwide shortage of it everywhere (due to the distributor not getting enough in). So if you haven't pre-ordered and are going looking Friday, I'd do it ASAP as you might be in for a disappointment. 360 version unaffected.

Gravijah

Katana_Strikes said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned but:

Just a heads up to anyone who's wanting Red Dead Redemption on PS3 in the UK that there's going to be a nationwide shortage of it everywhere (due to the distributor not getting enough in). So if you haven't pre-ordered and are going looking Friday, I'd do it ASAP as you might be in for a disappointment. 360 version unaffected.

Rockstar viral marketer confirmed.

Tom Penny

Is there only one crosshair in the game? I find it pretty difficult to see. Also if you kill animals or people does the map indicate were they are so you can loot them?

Gravijah

Meus Renaissance said:
Has anyone noticed any texture popups whilst streaming the game from the disc? I dont want to install it. It'd mean another 10 mins of waiting

I thought I saw more pop while it wasn't installed, to be honest.

Tom Penny said:
Is there only one crosshair in the game? I find it pretty difficult to see. Also if you kill animals or people does the map indicate were they are so you can loot them?

Yes, it indicates where they are.

Can someone tell me how the GAF Read Dead group works? Do I add that "friend" on XBL and then you guys are able to see everyone online or something?

Off-topic follows:
lawblob said:
Thats interesting. Was he a good speaker? Do you remember what he talked about?

I got to see John Roberts speak at a small-ish event a year ago, it was memorable.
John Roberts might be more interesting, being CJOTSCOTUS. :lol But Bork was fairly funny and curmudgeonly, as often scholars are in their old age. Anyway he was speaking at a benefit for Ave Maria law school and talked about fiduciary duty, applying your heartfelt beliefs to your legal practice etc. Interesting, kinda Sunday sermon-like. Anyway, I was researching why DC bartenders pour drinks so well and was pretty well overserved at the time.

MMaRsu

Hey Kaako ofcourse I'm gonna be smoking weed when I get this :p. Tomorrow I have the entire day off, same on friday so I'm gonna get smoked out of my mind and play this game all day while blasting morricone through mah speakers <3

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Tom Penny said:
When you kill anything, they'll be placed on the map with a grey X. Sometimes you have to press down on the dpad to increase map view and you'll see them if they're further away. Dunno about the crosshair though.

MMaRsu said:
Hey Kaako ofcourse I'm gonna be smoking weed when I get this :p. Tomorrow I have the entire day off, same on friday so I'm gonna get smoked out of my mind and play this game all day while blasting morricone through mah speakers <3
My man. :D
Careful though, the gaf-police might get you haha.

Edit: Regarding texture popups...they're quite a few even when the game is fully installed. But nothing that kept me from enjoying this baby.

pr0cs

DeuceMojo said:
Can someone tell me how the GAF Read Dead group works? Do I add that "friend" on XBL and then you guys are able to see everyone online or something?
yeah use that link and add them to your friends list.
then you can view that groups friends to see everyone else, use that to join parties, etc.

X26

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Has anyone noticed any texture popups whilst streaming the game from the disc? I dont want to install it. It'd mean another 10 mins of waiting

Haven't noticed ay yet. Also, you'd get that 10mins back anyways thanks to (I assume) shorter load time

Kaako

Felium Defensor
shwimpy said:
What's the point of hitching your horse again? He magically appears wherever I whistle anyway?
You breakin a new horse that you've caught in the wild. You hitch it and it'll become your default horse as far as I could tell.

lumberjack said:
has anyone done the mission where you rope a wild horse then mount it? is anyone else having a problem staying on it?
I caught a ton of wild horses and they're easy as hell to break. Just look at your character and move stick to the opposite direction of where he's leaning. You just have to keep yourself centered on the horse. Very easy once you get the hang of it.

Kaako said:
You breakin a new horse that you've caught in the wild. You hitch it and it'll become your default horse as far as I could tell.
This. Also if its wild horse and you hitched it, if it gets killed its likely to appear in a wild herd more often.

DeuceMojo said:

Off-topic follows:

John Roberts might be more interesting, being CJOTSCOTUS. :lol But Bork was fairly funny and curmudgeonly, as often scholars are in their old age. Anyway he was speaking at a benefit for Ave Maria law school and talked about fiduciary duty, applying your heartfelt beliefs to your legal practice etc. Interesting, kinda Sunday sermon-like. Anyway, I was researching why DC bartenders pour drinks so well and was pretty well overserved at the time.

When your request is accepted, you are able to view GAF Read Dead's Friends. There you will see all the GAF members who also requested to be added. You can Invite them to games/parties that way. Much easier than to having to add +10 people onto your own list directly.

Dynamic3

Kaako said:

Yup.

Would I would like to know is if there is a window that details your horse and/or its stats. I would like to able to know if and by how much my horse's stamina has increased through constant riding, and whether or not the new horse I got is better than my last.

Gravijah said:
By the way, thank you Rockstar San Diego for making a game that is ledgible on an SDTV.
I still take exception to this. I fiddled with every setting on my HD tube set and still couldn't read that text. Argh.

X26

Banned
lumberjack said:
has anyone done the mission where you rope a wild horse then mount it? is anyone else having a problem staying on it?

just go left or right depending on which way john in sliding off towards (if he's sliding off to the right, move the stick left, etc.). The game screen itself also tilts to help you know which direction you should be moving in

Dementia

Does anyone here know if there are any packaging differences between Amazon and Gamestop versions of PS3 RDR, including shrinkwrap? Amazon is taking forever to deliver my copy so I want to go buy from gamestop and then just return the copy from amazon when it arrives.

JoeBoy101

shwimpy said:
What's the point of hitching your horse again? He magically appears wherever I whistle anyway?

If you don't hitch, the horse will wander. In the Wild, that's no big deal, but wandering in town could have it get in front of train, block your way to a random event, etc. That's on top of saving the horse for later.

epmode

I have a CRT HDTV and the stupid horse stamina gague bleeds off the edge of my screen. I had similar issues in GTA4. I really wish the game allowed me to resize the screen or move the HUD around SIGH.

epmode said:
I have a CRT HDTV and the stupid horse stamina gague bleeds off the edge of my screen. I had similar issues in GTA4. I really wish the game allowed me to resize the screen or move the HUD around SIGH.

lol, MS cert is getting sloppy. or was it ps3?

Stitch

Gold Member
Meus Renaissance said:
just make yourself a sandwich.

loading will be faster, texture pop-ups will be less, your console won't sound like a freakin lawn mower...

so, i think that i'm overthinking how to solve this first treasure map i was given?

the first drawing shows the hanging rock from the vantage point of three cacti nearby. the second one shows the tree farther away from the reverse angle, and the X behind some large rocks somewhere nearby. is it meant to be instructional, in that i go to the spot where the first drawing is shown from, and then from there try and tell where the second one is meant to be? or is it simply meant to be that vague?

Laekon

How far into the game do you get the lasso? I really don't want to start roaming around until I have it. I take it you get it from mission at the first ranch?

epmode

mescalineeyes said:
lol, MS cert is getting sloppy. or was it ps3?
360. I guess I can look into a way to screw with my the TV's geometry but I'd like to avoid it.
Laekon said:
How far into the game do you get the lasso? I really don't want to start roaming around until I have it. I take it you get it from mission at the first ranch?
4 or 5 missions in? Just keep at the B missions.

Damn this game sounds so awesome. I love the post about the guy who lost his ass at poker, so he stood up and shot the rest of the table and left without taking his money back! :lol

When you guys say poker you mean Texas Hold'em, riiiigh?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
rocksolidaudio said:
so, i think that i'm overthinking how to solve this first treasure map i was given?

the first drawing shows the hanging rock from the vantage point of three cacti nearby. the second one shows the tree farther away from the reverse angle, and the X behind some large rocks somewhere nearby. is it meant to be instructional, in that i go to the spot where the first drawing is shown from, and then from there try and tell where the second one is meant to be? or is it simply meant to be that vague?

You are indeed over thinking it. If you've figured out that the map is depicting
hanging rock
then that is all you really need to know. Just go poke around it.

Gravijah

Russian Steve said:
Damn this game sounds so awesome. I love the post about the guy who lost his ass at poker, so he stood up and shot the rest of the table and left without taking his money back! :lol

When you guys say poker you mean Texas Hold'em, riiiigh?

Yes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
when the horse starts whining (or nayying, or whatever the word is), that means he'll buck you off if you continue to mash A.

Why does taking out your gun just makes the civilian act crazy. they should only act crazy when I shoot them.

anyone know how to get the tophat for ps3 version?

Denzar

I live in Belgium and I got it!

It's in stock everywhere but they can't sell it yet... Fines etc...

Luckily I have got me some connections.

Game has been great so far.

I was chased by lawmen, and did not pay attention and drove my carriage off a cliff. The horses died and I fell out, but was able to get away...

Dineren

Banned
I've been loving this so far. I put it in last night and played it for four hours straight, most of it just wandering and messing around. I was particularly impressed by the herding missions. They could have made those such a pain in the ass and they've been pretty easy and fun to get through so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out the multiplayer tonight, now that my gold is renewed I have to use it on something!

Coverly

After calling a few gamestops, I managed to track down a copy of the RDR strategy guide. Most gamestops were sold out. I don't know why Amazon has it on such a long waiting list it's stupid.

I'm going to start the game tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.

epmode

DMPrince said:
Why does taking out your gun just makes the civilian act crazy. they should only act crazy when I shoot them.
I think they only flip out if you aim at them. Just taking out the gun doesn't usually do anything.

Top Bottom