• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

MMaRsu

The Dutch Slayer said:
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Ow yeah and we know that what ever Pachter says is 100% correct and should be the rule right?

Nawh but he was just talking out of his ass that time. Who says Europeans don't like westerns?

Zeliard

denomes said:
That slows down time but how do I "paint" like three dudes and take them out quickly?

Yeah, I'm a little puzzled about this. I read that the first version you have automatically targets people as you paint over them, while in the second, you manually target with the right bumper. However, as far as I can tell, the first version is simply a Max Payne-style bullet-time mechanic and nothing else - doesn't auto-target people or anything. Time just slows.

Edit: oh, three different versions would explain that, I guess.

Artex

Banned
Zeliard said:
Yeah, I'm a little puzzled about this. I read that the first version you have automatically targets people as you paint over them, while in the second, you manually target with the right bumper. However, as far as I can tell, the first version is simply a Max Payne-style bullet-time mechanic and nothing else - doesn't auto-target people or anything. Time just slows.

Edit: oh, three different versions would explain that, I guess.

There is a mission later on with the Elixer guy, after that you will have the ability to "paint" targets.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If my horse walks across my field of view one more time when I'm trying to lasso a guy, I'll shoot and skin him myself.

ARGH

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
NEED PATCH! Can't wait to start playing MP again, it was so busted when I first started playing. Always got network connection errors...and my horse would just vanish.

denomes

Artex said:
There is a mission later on with the Elixer guy, after that you will have the ability to "paint" targets.

Thanks! I was wondering because this gang of dudes always cruises through Bonnie's ranch with a guy lassoed behind them. Each time I try to save him I get totally massacred by the party.

Myriadis

VALIS said:
Best moment of the game so far and it never would've happened if I used the cheap ass horse whistle. Seriously, it's one of the cheapest gameplay mechanics ever -- just whistle and your horse will come running from even miles away! :lol

GAF, just say no to horse calling.

Dammit,now I have Eponas Song in my mind.

ringlord

MidnightRider said:
Wish the Poker games were a little more hard.

I've cleared out every table I've sat down at.

:lol :lol :lol

You must be a better poker player than me. What do you do with a bad hand? Just bluff everyone out?

speculawyer said:
What a waste of money. Pachter told me Westerns don't sell in Europe since Europeans have no interest in Westerns.

Europe has a very long tradition in books and movies about America's Old West. Just think about the Karl May books dating from the end of the 19th century (which had a huge influence on german-speaking culture), the spaghetti westerns from the 1960's , etc.

BeeDog

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I don't know anything specific but I've heard the endgame is something to behold. One review called it "shattering" and there have been a bunch of regrets from people who had it spoiled.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Let's hope it's true. :D

ringlord said:
You must be a better poker player than me. What do you do with a bad hand? Just bluff everyone out?

Me too. I'm sure I'm just terrible at hold 'em but I had a weak hand and tried to push someone out after they checked on the river and they came right back with a huge raise. I felt like such a sucker.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wiggum2007 said:
Normal or Expert aiming? I need all of GAF to come to a conclusion of which aiming system I should be using.

whats the difference?

Gravijah

Corky said:
please tell me there are a lot of different guns/revolvers/rifles

check the OP

Wiggum2007 said:
Normal or Expert aiming? I need all of GAF to come to a conclusion of which aiming system I should be using.

matters how good you are, man. I'm not the best aim so I use normal aiming.

Wiggum2007

Corky said:
whats the difference?

Normal: Snap-to targeting, press LT and you'll lock onto a target but if they're moving you'll still have to adjust your aim.

Expert: No auto-aim.

Gravijah said:
check the OP

matters how good you are, man. I'm not the best aim so I use normal aiming.

Yeah for the most part I think Expert seems much more fun but I'm just worried about it becoming a pain in on-horse combat and such.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wiggum2007 said:
Normal: Snap-to targeting, press LT and you'll lock onto a target if they're moving you'll still have to adjust your aim.

Expert: No auto-aim.

ah like gta

well expert ofc, its infinitely more satisfying knowing that YOU made the kill possible, rather than just snap to target autoaim.

Normal is maybe a tad too easy when you're just taking down one or two guys, but I'm guessing Expert gets to be really hairy in larger gunfights or on horseback. You can still target body parts in Normal too, anyway.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Red Blaster said:
Alright, how the hell do you win duels. I've been killed 4 times now doing them.
Don't draw too early (draw right when it tells you). Aim at desired location(s) and wait for the cross-hair to turn white before marking cause that's when it'll have the most power. Power is shown using the blue bar; bottom right corner. A head shot will finish any challenger when you mark at the right time (white cross-hair instead of red). Hope that makes some sense.

ringlord

Red Blaster said:
Alright, how the hell do you win duels. I've been killed 4 times now doing them.

I've only done one so far, but
I just drew my gun with the left trigger and "painted" my opponent multiple times with the right trigger. Once your meter gets to the top, the slow-mo stops and the action unfolds. If the opponent got his meter to the top first, he wins; otherwise, you win.
I think that's how it works.

Wiggum2007

Corky said:
ah like gta

well expert ofc, its infinitely more satisfying knowing that YOU made the kill possible, rather than just snap to target autoaim.

Somewhat, but unlike GTA, Normal aiming just snaps to the target, holding down LT wont keep you locked on to them if they are moving. I think Call of Duty has a similar system? Casual aiming is the GTA system.

JBuccCP

Definitely go expert if you've played any decent amount of shooters. Horseback combat can be a little cumbersome but remember to use dead eye if you feel overwhelmed. I do wish they would have given the horses some sort of autopilot like the carriages have.

Wiggum2007

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Normal is maybe a tad too easy when you're just taking down one or two guys, but I'm guessing Expert gets to be really hairy in larger gunfights or on horseback. You can still target body parts in Normal too, anyway.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the one problem I'm having with Normal, is that I will hit LT to pull out my gun but if there is a non-hostile target on my screen much of the time I end up accidentally locking onto them, making them hostile.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
denomes said:
That slows down time but how do I "paint" like three dudes and take them out quickly?

There are three levels of Dead Eye. It sounds like you are on Level 1. To unlock the next two levels you need to progress further into the story.

feel

Not being able to make my horse stay put and wait for me in one place while I go explore or sneak into somewhere on foot is really annoying! Auto weapon holstering too. Both things are ruining my roleplaying sometimes.

Alucrid

Banned
Awesome. I was shooting guys on a cliff, I hit one, he falls forward into a river and as he's falling what do I hear? Nothing other than the Wilhelm scream. Yessssss.

Fixed1979

Letters said:
Not being able to make my horse stay put and wait for me in one place while I go explore or sneak into somewhere on foot is really annoying! Auto weapon holstering too. Both things are ruining my roleplaying sometimes.

I've been able to whistle to get my horse to come to me from just about anywhere and so him not staying put doesn't bother me to much. I'd almost rather take a running jump onto the horses back. The auto holsterting is a bit anoying though.

Darklord

Banned
Oh FFS. I thought it was coming out today but it's tomorrow. Most games come out on a Thursday here, typical the one Thursday I have off the game then comes out on Friday. Total bullshit.

Filldough

blazinglazers said:
Setting the game in the twilight of the wild west just suits Rockstars themes and gameplay so much better. Exploring the gray areas of violence, morality and society in a dense modern metropolis just makes you a psychopath. Your action inevitably land you in a death-by-cop scenario.

But transplanting that to the west, where your'e literally beyond the edge of civilization, where life is a literal fight for survival and the law is defined by who's left standing, it's perfect. Maybe it'll creep in later, but I'm not feeling that disconnect between the way the story presents my actions, and how I'm experiencing them, like I did in GTAIV.

It's genius really. It's like Rockstar has always been making westerns, they just didn't realize it.

Good post, couldn't agree with you more. Though I will admit I'm becoming a bit of a psychopath even by old west standards. :lol

Animal

Banned
So I beat up a bunch of similarly dressed guys in the Armadillo bar and I hog tie them all up in the street. I pick one up and drop him on the tracks not far away. I go back and pick up another and the game won't give me an option to do anything with him. I'm stuck with this hog tied dude on my shoulders no matter what I do.:lol

coopolon

Damn it, I just shot my third horse (of course they die in one shot, while a wolf takes two) because he ran in front of me right as I was about to head shot some bandit. I guess it kind of makes sense, all the gunfire would make the run. Wonder how many cowboys actually shot their own horses in gunfights.

bishoptl said:
If my horse walks across my field of view one more time when I'm trying to lasso a guy, I'll shoot and skin him myself.

ARGH

I was kind of having this problem when I first was messing around with the lasso, I found if you come to a complete stop with the horse (RB/R1) that the horse tends to not tether/follow you.

It might just be completely subjective but I shot my horse because he got in the way of me catching a bounty alive and the guy literally sprinted to another horse and "Bounty Got Away" message. After that I was very attentive as to where my horse was and found 'braking' almost left in place all the time.

Top Bottom