• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Max

I am not Max
I was walking around casually after a mission and suddenly a blue circle appears on my minimap, at once I run too see what it could be. I stumble upon a drunkard stabbing a hooker to death ouside the bar while yelling "laughin' now?!", he continued to run away down the road.

The fact that this happens on the own AI's schedule is craaaazy

DeVeAn

DennisK4 said:
Expert all the way - auto aim is for sissies and it drains the game of tension when it is to easy.
BS I can hardly see enemies as it is besides, you can still free aim anyway.

Nameless

Played for about 4 hours last night without doing a mission after the mandatory ones. Love it. Only slight gripes are how water=instadeath and it's apparently impossible to incapacitate someone during a fist fight. Even as I'm stomping someone into oblivion they manage to get up. Hopefully they patch that. Still, an absolutely fantastic game, though.

Funny moment is when my horse got gored off a huge ass cliff by a boar. I shot it when another boar came charging at me, I dodged it and he too went flying off the cliff. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Alucrid said:
Awesome. I was shooting guys on a cliff, I hit one, he falls forward into a river and as he's falling what do I hear? Nothing other than the Wilhelm scream. Yessssss.

Nice touch.

Teknoman

ringlord said:
I've only done one so far, but
I just drew my gun with the left trigger and "painted" my opponent multiple times with the right trigger. Once your meter gets to the top, the slow-mo stops and the action unfolds. If the opponent got his meter to the top first, he wins; otherwise, you win.
I think that's how it works.

Exactly, but its best if you wait till the crosshair is white, then confirm the shot. Smaller/white crosshair = better accuracy.

Fixed1979

MidnightRider said:
Wish the Poker games were a little more hard.

I've cleared out every table I've sat down at.

:lol :lol :lol

Is there any benifit to clearing all the tables (besides cash), I finished the one in Armadillo and don't really have much interest in playing again.

Shanks

Anybody who ordered this from Amazon get their giftcard or credit? It hasn't shown up in my account an I never received the giftcard...

wonkafest

zero margin said:
Failing a mission because you ran over the asshole who jumped in front of your horse is how you say, fucking retarded? Yes, that's it.

Ya that happened to me; went and got this guys horse back. Then as I whistle for my horse it comes and runs the guy over, mission failed. ; ;

Yeah, I mostly love the random AI events in the game. Out of all the stuff in the game it makes me feel the most like a cowboy. I sadly fucked up on one where some guy on a horse stopped me and asked my help to save his brother. I folowed him horseback and we end up at a tree with him being hung. I shot the gangsters around him but couldn't hit the rope the whole time which made the guy on the rope choke to death. His brother then just walked up sank to the ground and started crying.

crazy.

on a side note I got an extra golden guns (360) thing from amazon so if anyone wants to trade for other code for the game I'd be happy.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what's the deal with the War Horse codes? I pre-ordered from Best Buy, but did not receive a voucher nor have I gotten an e-mail.

I wish there was an easier way to get into expert aim only games online, just to have that option. I know there's two categories at the bottom of the multiplayer mode list that say normal/expert only but every time i've tried that it's been normal aiming, which is pretty easy to get auto-hits on (just repeatedly pump LT while firing to continuously re-snap to the target when you lose auto-tracking after a couple of seconds).

Overall this game is incredible. Best wild west game ever made, for sure.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Last night I joined a free roam game and took a peek at the map. Everything is discovered and laid out for you to the point where I knew I was spoiling the single player for myself. I want to discover the countryside through progression of the game's story.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Damn, after a mission, I stumbled across a guy that was screaming for help, as I got closer he asked me if he could hitch a ride with me, I got closer to him then he took me off my horse and ran away with it and called me a gullable bitch or something, I pull out my lasso and throw him off my horse and tie him up in the middle of no where.

Aesius

Um, shit.

I'm doing a horse racing mission and my fucking Kentucky Saddler is missing. He's not dead, but now when I whistle it's some generic crap horse that's slow as balls. WTF?

Teknoman

Hey PSN posse, you guys up for some games later tonight? Also are we going to merge the chat rooms, or leave both up in case one fills?

Ding

Kaako said:
Also, as others have mentioned if you smoke cannabis this game becomes even more amazing. I probably played 85% of my play-through baked and it was simply sublime.
Rex O'Herlihan: [Music score begins to play. Rex speaks to his horse] Root's beginnin' to work.

[a cowboy chorus joins in]

Rex O'Herlihan: Yeah, it's definitely kickin' in now.

Goldrusher

Yackie said:
lol, wut. Title change?
I do not approve. Lame, cliche and where the hell is the thematic element ? The ♦ ?

RED DEAD REDEMPTION ♦ THE OFFICIAL THREAD

mod edit 1:

Red Dead Redemption ♦ The Official Thread

mod edit 2:

Red Dead Redemption | Official Thread of whistling Ennio Morricone in the desert

Yackie

Zeliard said:
Game's got soul, might as well not stick it with a soulless thread title.

I dig it. I was just in the Super Mario Galaxy 2 thread, which just got an unfortunate title change, and people are going apeshit! Then I noticed this thread's title also changed...didn't know if the mods were bored and decided to change thread titles.

Gravijah

Goldrusher said:
I do not approve. Lame, cliche and where the hell is the thematic element ? The ♦ ?

RED DEAD REDEMPTION ♦ THE OFFICIAL THREAD

mod edit 1:

Red Dead Redemption ♦ The Official Thread

mod edit 2:

Red Dead Redemption | Official Thread of whistling Ennio Morricone in the desert

I want the old title back. This game isn't about frillyness!

VALIS

DennisK4 said:
Expert all the way - auto aim is for sissies and it drains the game of tension when it is to easy.

What he said. Besides, if you're really in a bad spot and don't want to die, using the dead eye power making things awfully easy again.

Tr4nce

MMaRsu said:
Were these posted yet? Got them from TXB..

ssl254271.jpg

Seriously, how can a game look this good? This looks SO effing sick. GORGEOUS.

SolidC213

Man, game is sitting on my front porch and I just got a call reminding me I have a dentist appointment right after work :(

Is it pretty easy to party up with friends on PS3? What kind of character customizations are available from the get-go?

Zeliard

I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed at how little pop-in there is too. It was especially important in a game like this where you're always staring at the horizon in mostly flat environments. Shit popping up everywhere as you're moving forward would have killed the immersion.

zero margin said:
Failing a mission because you ran over the asshole who jumped in front of your horse is how you say, fucking retarded? Yes, that's it.
Try having to restart because some stupid fuck drove his horse in front of your gun after you "dead eyed" a group of enemies :lol.

gibration

Teknoman said:
Hey PSN posse, you guys up for some games later tonight? Also are we going to merge the chat rooms, or leave both up in case one fills?
There's two chat rooms?
If so we should just merge them together.

CaptNink

Nobody has yet mentioned the best feature of this game, hands down:

You can mount your horse from the rear!

That is worth the price of admission right there.

CaptNink said:

You can also jump off a balcony directly onto your horse. I think that is the bigger deal.

JBuccCP

CaptNink said:

It's kinda hard to do but you can jump on it from above too.

edit: too slow on the draw

Teknoman

LovingSteam said:
What are the chat rooms? Also does it matter that I don't have a mic?

Not really, but it helps. You can still hear us and communicate via the text chat room though. Just have to get someone to invite you to one of em.

gibration said:
There's two chat rooms?
If so we should just merge them together.

Yeah two, had to type dual messages since we had people in the game in both rooms.

Jhoan

I got this game yesterday at TRU with a $25 Giftcard. Only played the very first mission and got the achievement. So far, it begins like a usual R* game
intro cutscene, gameplay, cutscene, 10 mins of gameplay, cutscene. I was hoping that I would get to storm into the fort and fight Bill and his cronies. I was disappointed and surprised that Marston got shot and ridiculed. I thought it was gonna be like No More Heroes 1's beginning with Travis thrust into his assassination mission. All this talk of changes and morality between NPC's was cool.

It has a nice amount of detail like GTA IV, the draw distance is pretty cool. So far, it's pretty immersive. The horses look awesome. The one thing that got me mad however was that during the initial mission when you're told to go to the
saloon
, I explored around and tried to go more toward the edge of the town when the game told me I failed the mission. That got me mad. I love exploring in a game so when the first mission doesnt allow me to the game world, it gets me annoyed. I'll play some more some time tonight or tomorrow night. By the way, my GT is up on the 360 sign up so if you wanna play some MP then look me up and feel free to add me or send me an invite if I'm on.

Nelo Ice

Banned
anyone got an extra war horse code? doesnt matter if its ps3/360 since codes are universal

i redeemed a golden guns code on 360 that someone got for ordering the ps3 version

Top Bottom