• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Teknoman said:
Not really, but it helps. You can still hear us and communicate via the text chat room though. Just have to get someone to invite you to one of em.

Yeah two, had to type dual messages since we had people in the game in both rooms.

Would you be willing to be the man? lol

MMaRsu

Goldrusher said:
I do not approve. Lame, cliche and where the hell is the thematic element ? The ♦ ?

RED DEAD REDEMPTION ♦ THE OFFICIAL THREAD

mod edit 1:

Red Dead Redemption ♦ The Official Thread

mod edit 2:

Red Dead Redemption | Official Thread of whistling Ennio Morricone in the desert

I like the whistling of morricone in the desert, why not? Red Dead Redemption * Official Thread is kinda boring.

Zeliard

DoctorWho said:
You can also jump off a balcony directly onto your horse. I think that is the bigger deal.

You can also run forward, call your horse, and jump on your horse while it's still running and lose almost zero momentum, as you just fly forward after a smooth transition.

I love doing that when I'm about to give chase. So many cinematic moments in this game.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Won my first FFA game of around 12 people or so. The opening circular shootout was so awesome, I survived it too. Auto-aim makes it really simple but it was still quite fun.

Tokubetsu

Bounty hunter missions are the hardest in the game. Kill a guys crew only to lasso him and have him roll down the side of the rock face. Awesome! so you finally catch up to him again but your horse is being a real fucker and doesn't want near the rocks! You carry this asshole down the hill only to have his bows show up! 15 minutes later you finally have the prick on your fucking horse only to have more goons arrive. Finally spend another 10 trying to get him back to jail :lol

ok, so I often play a game for the first hour and fall in love with it and then it starts to get annoying as shit.

this game is the exact opposite. still can't get over how good this is. been playing all day.

basis

been reading that the DLCs (skin & gun skins) can be unlocked later in the game? anyone can confirm or deny it pls? thx.

Haunted

DoctorWho said:
You can also jump off a balcony directly onto your horse. I think that is the bigger deal.
holy shit

mescalineeyes said:
ok, so I often play a game for the first hour and fall in love with it and then it starts to get annoying as shit.

this game is the exact opposite. still can't get over how good this is. been playing all day.
So you're saying you hated the first hour. :(

Spooka

wayward archer said:
I wish there was an easier way to get into expert aim only games online, just to have that option. I know there's two categories at the bottom of the multiplayer mode list that say normal/expert only but every time i've tried that it's been normal aiming, which is pretty easy to get auto-hits on (just repeatedly pump LT while firing to continuously re-snap to the target when you lose auto-tracking after a couple of seconds).

Overall this game is incredible. Best wild west game ever made, for sure.

I think that when it lists normal/expert it just means you can use either aiming mode(but can't use casual) . And I'm assuming the hardcore mode you unlock(I think at level 15) will be your expert only mode. I'd rather play expert only as well.

Zeliard

Haunted said:

The first hour or so is a bit slow and limited as they introduce you to the world. Some may take issue with it. I enjoyed the slow pace to start off. They unleash you soon enough.

Haunted said:

nononononono that came out wrong. all I wanted to say is the more I play it, the more I loved it, which rarely if ever happens.
the first hour was charming, endearing, filled with a shitton of straight up LOL moments and, fuck, I broke in a horse with the hugest grin on my face I can ever remember having.

this game is up there with Mass Effect 2 for me.

Zeliard said:
The first hour or so is a bit slow and limited as they introduce you to the world. Some may take issue with it. I enjoyed the slow pace to start off. They unleash you soon enough.

I loved everything about it.

I literally do not have a single gripe with this game as it stands. how you can make a game this good, is beyond me. I don't even like open world games.

Haunted

Zeliard said:
mescalineeyes said:
nononononono that came out wrong. all I wanted to say is the more I play it, the more I loved it, which rarely if ever happens.
the first hour was charming, endearing, filled with a shitton of straight up LOL moments and, fuck, I broke in a horse with the hugest grin on my face I can ever remember having.
I wasn't really serious. ;) But good to know that the game does everything right right from the start!

For the record, I never understood people's complaints about TP's slow beginning. It's all about whether it works and fits.

Haunted said:
good to know that the game does everything right right from the start!

For the record, I never understood people's complaints about TP's slow beginning. It's all about whether it works and fits.

you'll be too busy sucking up the ridiculously amazingly fantastic atmosphere to even think about pacing.

dorkimoe

Only played 2 games of MP and a few quests in SP, only complaints so far are..

-Why do I need a cutscene EVERYTIME i loot something. I understand its short but still...just loot. (i blame the people who cry about realism)

Zeliard said:

Same here (though i guess I'm still in it. Only just lassoed my first horse.) It's very...hm...prosaic.

:D

Zeliard

BenjaminBirdie said:
Same here (though i guess I'm still in it. Only just lassoed my first horse.) It's very...hm...prosaic.

:D

I really enjoyed the basic "cowboy" tasks they had you do at the start. Herding, lassoing, taming horses, etc. It set a nice Western tone, and it worked as both an effective tutorial for the gameplay mechanics and a smooth introduction to the world.

soldat7

Sn4ke_911 said:
another one from Germany

holy shit!!!

Edit: fuck that pic is big. Sry 56k i dont know how to resize it. :/

34qvbxd.jpg

Now THAT should have been the box art. Anyone have a decent version of this? I claim this as my future avatar, GAF!!! :D

Alex

Monster Hunter Tri and Red Dead Redemption certainly makes a nice back to back for me. Really good time for games lately.

I'm sure this has been shared, but yesterday I came across a man on his knees crying out in the wilderness beside his dead wife's body. After standing nearby and watching the man cry for about 15 seconds, he pulls the revolver out of his holster, puts it to his head, and pulls the trigger. God damn, boy.

EDIT: And my duster is so awesome!

Seanspeed

Banned
Letters said:
Not being able to make my horse stay put and wait for me in one place while I go explore or sneak into somewhere on foot is really annoying!
Its SUPER annoying when you're doing a bounty hunt and when you finally pick up your bounty to put him on your horse, you are thrown wave after wave of horseback gangbangers out to get their comprade back. Your horse just wanders off, and it takes its sweet ass time coming back to you after whistling, all the while getting attacked by the fast-riding gang members and slowly moving with a body over your shoulder.

And the horse isn't invincible, so its not out of the ordinary to lose your horse and then just have to give up and run away.

Its punishing using no auto-aim, but I refuse to do it any other way. :D

Filldough

goldsoundz said:
I'm sure this has been shared, but yesterday I came across a man on his knees crying out in the wilderness beside his dead wife's body. After standing nearby and watching the man cry for about 15 seconds, he pulls the revolver out of his holster, puts it to his head, and pulls the trigger. God damn, boy.

EDIT: And my duster is so awesome!

OH DAMN...

I havent seen or heard about this... Crazy how much random stuff goes on in this game.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Cday said:
If I redeem my golden guns code will it overwrite the existing skins or will it be a separate option?

it only makes the starting pistol/rifle golden any other gun u get will be normal
also theres no way to disable it

nskinnear said:
I'll probably be around again.

I would like to get in on some MP action with the PS3 posse tonight. The other day was screwy. I didn't even get one shot off I don't think. Managed to get to level 4 though :) Hopefully tonight (that is if I can pry myself away from the amazing SP) we can get some great free-roam going.

oh my god, I arrived in
Mexico
, mounted the first horse and all of a sudden the most beautiful song started playing while I was riding along the river. What the fuck. This game is unreal.

Tokubetsu

DrBo42 said:
From the people at the saloon right? Me too. I have a positive honor and haven't even been there much. I don't get it.

I'm also near max positive side of Honor and every single time I step foot in there, three people are firing on me.

Had one scare the shit out of me. I was exiting the saloon, turning right and all of sudden, BLAM! Shotgun through the fucking window.

Loxley

I think when I do a second playthrough of this (likely with cheats :D) I think I'm actually going to play it with the music turned off. Just to see how much of a No Country for Old Men vibe I can get.

I fucking love the soundtrack, and it'll pain me turn it off, but I'm just curious to see if the game feels any different.

That said I'm about six or so hours in jesus christ I love this game. Already in my top five of the generation.

Top Bottom