• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Teknoman

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I haven't gotten to play it much yet but I'm hoping the same happens to me. It also feels awkward like I don't know where to go next but I guess it's normal in these type of games?

Yeah thats normal. Once everything sinks in, you'll be galloping to your next destination no problem.

Pretty good so far, couple hours in and not bored out of mind like I was with GTA4. Feels like theres actually stuff to do in this game instead of a big sandbox with some missions you can choose to do like GTA, it's much more living.

Visuals are nothing special, kind of expected more with some of the hype but I guess the whole open world thing does give it some leniency.

Haven't tried MP yet, want to get deeper in the single first.

Teknoman said:
Yeah thats normal. Once everything sinks in, you'll be galloping to your next destination no problem.
I guess since I'm stuck doing herding and having to turn a lot which is awkward but I'm getting used to it just compounds my frustration. It's like the old way of moving when moving on a horse.

Edit: And man is easy to get everyone's money at poker. :lol

Zeliard

So many cool little touches in this game you can run into just doing random things.

When it's raining, if you point the camera up towards the sky, droplets fall down towards the screen and hit the camera as if it's an actual physical object in the game world. It looks quite nice. Not sure if it was the same in GTAIV.

Also, there are some pretty neat animations Martson does at times. For example, if you hogtie someone, duck over top them, and then do a knife attack, Martson will go into an animation where he slits their throat. Crazy. I was feeling particularly devious when I did that on someone, not really knowing what to expect, and couldn't believe it went into an actual animation. :lol Got a nice -100 honor for it. Not too honorable, apparently, killing someone who's hogtied and on their stomach.

There's also an animation if a person is on their knees, and you get behind them and shoot them in the back of the head. :p Those are the only two I've found so far while playing. I'm guessing there are probably others.

Teknoman

Wait, you can lasso animals?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I guess since I'm stuck doing herding and having to turn a lot which is awkward but I'm getting used to it just compounds my frustration. It's like the old way of moving when moving on a horse.

Yeah herding sucks.

Downhome

Yep, I didn't know you could do it to anything other than a horse and people but it works on deer as well at least. I'll try it on more animals now whenever I see em.

Concept17 said:
Great game so far. I've only reached level 7 on free roam so far, but I was wondering... do you only unlock the characters or is there a way to customize your clothing? Besides mounts, titles and characters, is there anything else to unlock?

Characters, mounts, titles, that's it.

Sort of a bummer that there isn't a fully featured character editor but there's a ton of characters to choose from.

You get new weapons by leveling up but you just automatically spawn with those.

Loxley

After nearly ten hours of non-stop playing, I'm ready to call it a night :lol Still have class tomorrow morning. Fuuuuuuuck, this game is about to fall under the "Just one more mission..." category of my library.

BattleMonkey said:
Visuals are nothing special, kind of expected more with some of the hype but I guess the whole open world thing does give it some leniency.

Nothing special? It must take a shitload of pixels to impress you or something. I have all the 'graphics kings' games on my PC, PS3, and 360 and this is easily one of the most visually appealing games I've played this generation.

Diff'rent Strokes indeed.

Plissken

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I found the horses a lot easier to control after I went to Options and changed their controls from "Horse Relative" to "Camera Relative".

soldat7

BattleMonkey said:
Visuals are nothing special

jgqsr8.jpg

malingenie said:
Some houses have armoires and chests. If you open them in front of the homeowners, you're in trouble, feller.

Can anyone go into more detail on this?
Houses ive tried to go into are closed.
Or is this because im at the start of the game?

I know in GTA:SA robbing houses started later on in the game which was a mini game involving carrying out boxes of stuff

Plissken said:
I found the horses a lot easier to control after I went to Options and changed their controls from "Horse Relative" to "Camera Relative".

Same here. Seems to flow better ... and man have I come close to running my horse off cliffs.

Drahcir

I was traveling to a bounty location and while on the trail a rider in front of me quickly stopped his horse by the side of the trail and ran across to a nearby boulder to take a piss. When he was done, he got back on his horse and rode off.

I gushed about the randomness in the environment earlier but that was just amazing. :lol

sazabirules said:
Does anyone want a Golden Gun code for PS3? I got a second one in my email. Now I'm just waiting on the gift card.

Sure!

Also, should I put the PS3 code for the horse in after I play a while so I dont get the best horse in the game right away?

Wiggum2007

FUCK YOU XBOX!!!!!! Now is NOT a good time to die on me!!!!

p.s. Not that it matters much seeing as my 360 is dead, but what are the controls for dueling? Tutorial went by way too fast.

Daigoro

caught a cool Western on cable the other night: Red Sun with Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune!

Red Sun is a film in the western genre with an international flavor. It starred the U.S.-born Charles Bronson, the Japanese actor Toshirō Mifune, the French actor Alain Delon and the Swiss actress Ursula Andress. It was filmed in Spain by the British director Terence Young. It was released in Europe in 1971 and in the U.S. in 1972.

The plot revolved around the attempts, by Mifune's and Bronson's characters, to regain a ceremonial samurai sword which is stolen by Delon's bandits at the beginning of the film. This film introduced the traditional ways of the samurai to some in the western audience.

The casting of Mifune and Bronson meant that one of the Seven Samurai and one of The Magnificent Seven were acting together on screen.

never even heard of this movie before it came on the other night. its was good, definitely worth catching.

Downhome

TheNiX said:
Do you just drag them around? The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to drag people after lassoing them.

You can for a while, but then they go crazy and run off and drag you behind them. To drag people just do it from your horse, keep the button held down so you don't release them, and take off on the horse with them behind you.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they fix the multiplayer issues soon with a patch. I randomly lose connection, sometimes inviting to a game won't work, and the invisible glitch happens every once in awhile. The multiplayer is great besides those problems. I killed 3 out of 4 guys in a Gang Shootout and I could hear the guys on other team complaining about me. It felt so good.

Downhome

The only code I need is one for the "War Horse". If any of you guys have an extra one of those it would mean a lot to me.

How exactly does the "Golden Guns" code work? Do all weapons give you more fame and whatnot, or is it just specific weapons?

seat

I haven't had a chance to play Redemption yet (the 360 version is waiting to be opened at home), but the new title to this thread has prompted me to recommend the album "The Big Gundown" by John Zorn. This Morricone-approved set of reimagined recordings features work that is more inspired and downright better than the original compositions, by arguably the greatest composer of our time (Zorn, not Morricone-- sorry, western fans!). Just listen to it and you'll see what I mean.

GriffD17

Is the multiplayer supposed to feel so empty? I've been in the mood to do the free roam challenges, just kill some time and shoot the breeze.

I'm like "kill some birds? OK." Look around, no birds, gallop around, where are the fucking birds. Hrm, maybe I'll kill some deer. Bring up the map, oh look, a deer icon there, let me set my way point and go. Alright, where are the deer.

What's the deal?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As far as hunting goes, is there a way to track everything you've killed, like a checklist system, or does it just log your kills under a generic heading in stats?

They could really go after the OCD market and have a big sprawling animal checklist to fill out , droooool.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
seat said:
I haven't had a chance to play Redemption yet (the 360 version is waiting to be opened at home), but the new title to this thread has prompted me to recommend the album "The Big Gundown" by John Zorn. This Morricone-approved set of reimagined recordings features work that is more inspired and downright better than the original compositions, by arguably the greatest composer of our time (Zorn, not Morricone-- sorry, western fans!). Just listen to it and you'll see what I mean.

I'll check that album out. It sounds interesting.

I was walking through Armadillo when a raccoon went by. I sort of followed it around for a while and I hear this dog barking. I think to myself, "If this game were really realistic, that dog would be attacking that raccoon." Then out of nowhere a dog leaps out and snaps at the raccoon and chases it into the bushes. :lol

I'm loving this game.

Daigoro

seat said:

i love Zorn, but this is a pretty big slap in the face to Morricone who has a huge body of work and did much more than just soundtracks to westerns.

Cday

Banned
To duel you hold LT or L2 and move the cursor over their body and hit RT or R2 a bunch. At least that's what I've been doin, maybe there's a more elegant way to do it though.

Top Bottom