• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Today my neighbour was over to look at RDR because I couldn't stop gushing about it when I went over to his place to print a paper.

Later the same day I knocked on his door to invite him over to play some games and I see his TV in the background, the screen filled blood red -- obviously the RDR pause menu :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man, these enemies are getting so hard to see. Really this gunplay design that pretty much requires you to lock onto enemies to be able to kill them is ruining a bunch of the fun. Also, I wish the daytime was 100% of the time. It just looks so much better than night time.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
LiK said:
John Marston, one of the coolest characters ever?
Mediocre character in a fuck-awesome setting.

I think his character could be much better, but at the same time I'm not saying it's bad. It's just OK.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
ShockingAlberto said:
I've never had a horse die but the game keeps making me replace my horse in story events, which kinda pisses me off.

You lose your horse after you use a horse the story gives you? I was able to keep my horse, even after I was forced to use other horses during the story. I just whistled after I completed the mission and he came running to me. Except for when I went to
Mexico
, I lost him then.

This game has surpassed my expectations.

Just had an amazing moment where the lady holds you up and the other guys jump out. After dispatching them she cowered then ran away. Silly girl attracted the attentions of a pack of wolves in doing so. You can imagine how that one ended :lol :lol

Dresden

Horses are pretty disposable. I tried keeping one alive, but cougars, man. Cougars.

A nun gave me this statue that makes me harder to hit. Awesome, even easier combat. I'm thinking about just meleeing everything now with the knife. Is there a stealth attack when you're sneaking?

Zeliard

alr1ghtstart said:
Man, these enemies are getting so hard to see. Really this gunplay design that pretty much requires you to lock onto enemies to be able to kill them is ruining a bunch of the fun. Also, I wish the daytime was 100% of the time. It just looks so much better than night time.

Man, nighttime is goddamn gorgeous in this game - the stellar sky, especially. I love going on night missions, riding my horse across the plains, with countless stars lighting up the sky and the moon beaming down. It's almost cathartic.

Smo21

I swear cougars in this are more dangerous that in real life.

Wiki Quote
Between 1890 and 1990, in North America there were 53 reported, confirmed attacks on humans, resulting in 48 nonfatal injuries and 10 deaths of humans (the total is greater than 53 because some attacks had more than one victim).[77] By 2004, the count had climbed to 88 attacks and 20 deaths.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm loving the game and at the same time... not.

I was especially loving it early on when the missions seemed more believable (the initial raid on the cabin with Marshall, for instance - or the cattle herding stuff was awesome.) The missions felt very visceral, dangerous and real.

Now it seems every mission is boiling down to taking on army of guys which is way too easy thanks to the insane accuracy of the guns and the seemingly limitless dead-eye aim.

On top of that, Marsten's character is inconsistent. When he's around the Ranch with Bonnie he's honorable and kind, but when he's around Seth or similar characters he fucks with them and threaten's their lives like a total bastard, in a way that isn't very believable considering how much better he is written and acts in other situations.

They need to take it easy on each mission being an insane shootouts, because it makes the important shootouts feel less important. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but it's the same sort of problems that I had with GTAIV, but to a lesser degree. I like Marsten better than Bellic and his actions in-game are more congruous with the cut scenes and characterization. On top of that, the setting is simply mindblowing.

How many fucks have I had to kill just to get to Williams? Over a hundred I would imagine. It would be fine if the game gave me more explanation rather than two random angry men turning into an army of horsemen hell-bent on my destruction.

Incredible setting, some incredible missions, occasionally superb writing and characters.

Neiteio

Lolligag said:
Well, I'm someone who can't play a game if it looks terrible... I didn't play GTA4 or Dragonage more than an hour because it was ugly, for example. This is for PS3 btw.

The game runs perfectly. I've been running around with full posses taking out massive amounts of lawmen and never had a fps hiccup there and that's probably the most chaos you'll see. The only time I ever noticed the fps go down was in a rather developed town,
you'll be shocked how large it is after spending so much time everywhere else.
I would say it was about 25fps when we were shooting lawmen in that developed town.

Now for the looks for it? I think it's great, you'll barely notice the jaggies except on the buildings and I didn't find them too bad. It's kind of expected anyway.
The game has amazing detail, even the grass sticking out of the ground will have your shadow casted upon it exactly like it would in real life. It's not just a full outline of you, it sort of staggers from the grass -hard to explain. :(

If you're concerned with the MP, it's been working fine for me since that patch they had to do. Voice chat has no issues.

Anyone that wants to even bother nitpicking at the comparisons is a damn fanboy of either or console. There's nothing to worry about when picking up the ps3 over xbox
Excellent! This is the sort of feedback I was looking for. It reaffirms the comparison video I saw at GameTrailers where the two versions looked virtually identical. I'm definitely interested in picking this up for PS3. :)

Dresden said:
Horses are pretty disposable. I tried keeping one alive, but cougars, man. Cougars.

A nun gave me this statue that makes me harder to hit. Awesome, even easier combat. I'm thinking about just meleeing everything now with the knife. Is there a stealth attack when you're sneaking?

Awesome, I haven't gotten that yet. Do you get it for a story mission or a stranger quest?

Dresden

sw33tclyde said:
Awesome, I haven't gotten that yet. Do you get it for a story mission or a stranger quest?
It was just a random event--I was selling wolf pelts when this nun came up to me and just started talking to me. I think it's related to Honor, in that I'm nearly maxed out on it. Although I did finish a stranger quest
the 'Funny Man' event in Mexico
where you donate to another nun, so that might be it.

On top of that, Marsten's character is inconsistent. When he's around the Ranch with Bonnie he's honorable and kind, but when he's around Seth or similar characters he fucks with them and threaten's their lives like a total bastard, in a way that isn't very believable considering how much better he is written and acts in other situations.

I didn't find that too odd. Men act differently around different sorts of people. He's always consistent in that he's never brutal unless the situation demands it of him. And, as he says later on, he's no moralist. He's doing what needs to be done.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Man, nighttime is goddamn gorgeous in this game - the stellar sky, especially. I love going on night missions, riding my horse across the plains, with countless stars lighting up the sky and the moon beaming down. It's almost cathartic.

I can barely see anything in nighttime sometimes. The only video adjustments I did were the recommended ones in this thread.

Zeliard

sazabirules said:
I can barely see anything in nighttime sometimes. The only video adjustments I did were the recommended ones in this thread.

You may want to check your black levels. It's not an issue at all for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LiK said:
John Marston, one of the coolest characters ever?

This isn't a spoiler really but I'll mark it as such:

You know, I really thought so, but working with
Dickens
is the "Three Leaf Clover" moment so far. It's just so stupid. The stuff with Bonnie was unbelievably strong, and since then you have all these annoying and obnoxious characters that want stupid, character-breaking things done for them. I just feel like they have to pad a game out with stuff that doesn't make sense. I hope he disappears soon and I never see
Dickens
again--because he's just crap and my John Marston would never work with him or do the things he wants--because everything else about this game is superb. But, goddamn, Niko'd.

Y2Kev said:
This isn't a spoiler really but I'll mark it as such:

You know, I really thought so, but working with
Dickens
is the "Three Leaf Clover" moment so far. It's just so stupid. The stuff with Bonnie was unbelievably strong, and since then you have all these annoying and obnoxious characters that want stupid, character-breaking things done for them. I just feel like they have to pad a game out with stuff that doesn't make sense. I hope he disappears soon and I never see
Dickens
again--because he's just crap and my John Marston would never work with him or do the things he wants--because everything else about this game is superb. But, goddamn, Niko'd.
Yeah, they definitely fixed a lot of what I hated about Niko (that, no matter how you intend to play him, all the missions make him a huge sociopath), but did not do it well enough.

You end up taking jobs to kill people who have done nothing wrong too often.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah, they definitely fixed a lot of what I hated about Niko (that, no matter how you intend to play him, all the missions make him a huge sociopath), but did not do it well enough.

You end up taking jobs to kill people who have done nothing wrong too often.
I get that he's desperate to get Williamson, and he'll do anything because of the arrangement he has with the government...but, no, find someone else. My John Marston I'm playing as would not (same complaint evilore made above)
con an entire village and then shoot them cold.

I'm not even complaining about the gameplay implications like he did--shootfests--because I quite enjoy it so far.

But some characters are literally snake oil salesmen that dick Marston around over and over and he would just end their lives instead of shooting innocents if he were a real badass.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm not too far in, just helped Seth meet his old partner. Back in Armadillo, some guy robbed the general store so I chased him down, lassoed and hog tied him and started to carry him back to town......

Then I heard the train whistle *pulls mustache*

Loxley

RelentlessRolento said:
I like his personality definitely, plus the fact that he's the only main character in a game that I can remember that has a lazy/kock eye.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that :lol I wasn't sure if it was intentional either, it'd be interesting if it was :)

I'm over 18 hours into the game at the moment (roughly 60% complete) and I just did the mission in the
forest in Blackwater after you chase Bill out of town
, think I'm ready to take a break :lol I can't imagine I have a whole lot more to go yet, but I haven't been in the "wilderness" yet, which I'm really looking forward to.

Basically I want to have the Sp completed so I can spend my weekend with the multiplayer :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I want to buy this right now... but I still haven't given GTA4 a complete playthrough. I have a feeling if I play RDR first (with its improvements) it'll lessen my enjoyment of GTA.

Sigh.

Risette

A Good Citizen
recklessmind said:
I want to buy this right now... but I still haven't given GTA4 a complete playthrough. I have a feeling if I play RDR first (with its improvements) it'll lessen my enjoyment of GTA.

Sigh.
They're still pretty different games. Though you should skip GTA4 once you finish the Three Leaf Clover mission and get straight to the Episodes. :D

DuckRacer

Kodiak said:
To be fair, Marsten's a former gang member, Bonnie's a nice girl who saved his life and people like Seth and Irish keep on
screwing around with him
(why am I spoilering this? smh). Plus you can do a ton of dastardly things in the game, it'd be odd to portray a thieving, sheriff hogtying, lady traintrack-laying person as completely honorable in all cutscenes. They need to convey a middle ground, and so far (I'm about 28% into the game) they're doing that decently.

truly101 said:
Back in Armadillo, some guy robbed the general store so I chased him down, lassoed and hog tied him and started to carry him back to town......

Then I heard the train whistle *pulls mustache*
:lol I did the same thing too :D

birdman

DuckRacer said:
To be fair, Marsten's a former gang member, Bonnie's a nice girl who saved his life and people like Seth and Irish keep on
screwing around with him
(why am I spoilering this? smh). Plus you can do a ton of dastardly things in the game, it'd be odd to portray a thieving, sheriff hogtying, lady traintrack-laying person as completely honorable in all cutscenes. They need to convey a middle ground, and so far (I'm about 28% into the game) they're doing that decently.

Chivalry explains all that too.

AKS

Valkyr Junkie said:
Unfortunately most PS3 games are 5.1 packed in a 7.1 container. Which means that if you have an actual 7.1 system you will end up with 2 channels of nothingness. Which really sucks because obviously all proper HDMI receivers have countless listening modes for matrixing 5.1 into 7.1.

I do have a 7.1 setup with a Marantz SR6003 receiver. I suspected something was amiss with the red dead silent rear surrounds. It really pisses me off that most developers halfass the audio options. The PS3 has a HUGE audio advantage over any console ever made, yet they practically hide the max audio settings from their customers. The'd rather focus on 1080p, which no console can consistently do natively. Adding to my frustration is that Naughty Dog created a configuration of audio options with Uncharted: DF that is basically perfect and works flawlessly. Please make this standard in every game!

anddo0

RelentlessRolento said:
any tips on killing cougars with a knife? Is there a good spot or time to bait them?

You're allowed to shoot them once and get the knife kill. The lasso also works, use dead eye lasso it, finish it off with two stabs.

You can find them in most mountain areas. I see them near Fort Mercer a lot, they also hang just north of Bonnie's ranch (area with the picture of the boar).

Coverly

Questions:

I saw 4 people ride into town shooting and then after a few seconds they exited the town dragging someone by rope. Who do i kill in this situation if I have a lawful character? The horse riders or the guy on the rope? or do i just let it happen?

I also saw a guy kill another out in the wild. Do i have free license to kill that guy or will i become wanted if i do?

Coverly said:
Questions:

I saw 4 people ride into town shooting and then after a few seconds they exited the town dragging someone by rope. Who do i kill in this situation if I have a lawful character? The horse riders or the guy on the rope? or do i just let it happen?

horse riders

I also saw a guy kill another out in the wild. Do i have free license to kill that guy or will i become wanted if i do?

I don't know, I haven't come across this yet.

Teknoman

Coverly said:
Questions:

Horse riders. If they're scaring everyone, usually they are bad.

Got a ringer in horseshoes last night, my second horseshoe hit my first one and knocked it around the pole :lol

I don't think my opponent was too pleased!

Goty at the moment for me, poor modnation racers is still in its plastic wrapping (it aint getting touched for a few weeks at this rate)

The best thing for me at the moment about this game is all the random missions you get while just exploring, im not even doing the main character missions at the moment as im way too busy doing them.

For Cougars it normally takes 3 shots to kill them, so I would personally shoot one twice then go in with the knife while its wounded.

HadesGigas said:
Do you have to do the whole kill with a knife or can you shoot them first? Usually take multiple shots to kill, so that'd probably make it easier if it works.

Gotta do it with knife... >_<

one other thing I noticed that I'm glad Rockstar took note of is that, thanks to The Lost and the Damned, is checkpoints done right.

I have the DLC installed, but it doesn't show up on my Outfits list. The first day I bought the game the outfit showed up fine along with the tasks I had to do to get it, but once I had most of them done, it just vanished from the list.

R*, why did you cut this from the game, make it a DLC pre-order bonus, made all regular editions "special editions" that came DLC so that even if you didn't pre-order you still got it, and then made the DLC buggy as fuck so that it didn't work in the end?

Fuck's wrong with you?

Top Bottom