• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Shittiest LE ever? Seems that the bonuses are too good and make the sp too easy. Also the soundtrack is a download???? (and it doesn't even work for me) WTF Rockstar. I paid 5€ more for the RDR LE than for the Alan Wake LE, what a joke.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
j-wood said:
I can't decide if this game is worth trading Just Cause 2 in for. What do you guys think?

I certainly am enjoying this more than JC2. Though, I never really recommend people trading their games in because I always seem to regret it.

seady said:
This game is sold out everywhere near me: Gamestop, Target etc.

Whoa. I don't know why, but I didn't really plan on this being this big of a hit. I mean, it's right in the middle of some really great releases, it's late spring, I dunno, I thought that this would probably be a bit of a dud. Didn't see this coming.

Kholdstare

j-wood said:
I can't decide if this game is worth trading Just Cause 2 in for. What do you guys think?

Don't do it.

With all the crazy DLC Just Cause 2 is getting I would hold out for now. They might introduce something that will make you want to play again.

Spent literally 6 hours running around in free roam and killing all the groups of people I could. I would find a posse and make it my mission to kill every single one of them. Worked pretty well too. I made a bunch of people send me angry messages.

Nelo Ice

Banned
R2D4 said:
My fucking horse just got mauled by a goddamn cougar. The same horse I've had all game. I got gangbanged by 3 wolves. Shot them all and then immanently after 3 cougars attacked. I shot two after they took down the horse and then the third got me. This game is ruthless.

i hate cougars...just lost the horse u get from one of bonnies missions =(
debating if i should reload but i just completed the last mission with the marshal
the assault on fort mercer

:D :D multiplayer is awesome, when I can play :/
so many random disconnects makes me smh
haven't really looked into it but can you play poker online with other people?
that would be awesome, then have a shoot out if you lose :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I only got attacked by a Cougar ONES, that is it, tried to save a lady show was been chase by 2 of them. But while I show one down, the other was finishing his meal... bastard!

Lothars

schennmu said:
Shittiest LE ever? Seems that the bonuses are too good and make the sp too easy. Also the soundtrack is a download???? (and it doesn't even work for me) WTF Rockstar. I paid 5€ more for the RDR LE than for the Alan Wake LE, what a joke.

How did you pay more for it when it was exactly the same price as the regular version?

Loxley

Whoa...the "I Know You" mission chain
gets fucking creepy once you're in Blackwater o_O...I'm really intrigued to find out what the hell is going on between Marston and that guy...

The fact that is was dark and storming during that only amplified the creep factor.

*edit: Oh what timing :lol My thoughts exactly, Relentless.

Klocker

Zeliard said:
Man, nighttime is goddamn gorgeous in this game - the stellar sky, especially. I love going on night missions, riding my horse across the plains, with countless stars lighting up the sky and the moon beaming down. It's almost cathartic.

did the side challenge where you defeat the miners in the camp and then go up to the mansion, can't recall name right now. but it started around 9 or 10 pm in a thunderstorm.... holy bat shit. that was beautiful... I went all stealth and snuck around the mansion in the dark. it was incredible.

So I'm playing Blackjack in Thieves Landing (AGAIN), and I hear gunfire RING out somewhere in the town. Everyone at the other table, and the prostitutes, the bartender, the DOG (which was INSIDE) etc. all get up, and run to see what happened. My table just says "Meh" and keeps on playing.

2 minutes later:

A shopkeeper has been killed. The store will not be available for a couple of days

WTF :lol :lol :lol

This game is AMAZING.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, pet peeve time.

This game assumes you are doing missions in a certain order and actually spoils itself. This happens with the Seth/Dickens/Irish set of missions. If you don't do them in a certain order and get ahead in one, the other will make mention (during conversation while traveling) about events that have yet to happen.

This also has happened in Mexico as well when (early Mexico mission spoilers)
the old gunman makes mention of you playing both sides of the conflict in Mexico
even if you haven't started the other mission yet.

I...can't remember a game spoiling itself like this. Really jarring and yanks you out of the story.

Oh yeah, Marston got Niko'd. Dude is just a killer and just keeps killing to get his way and it doesn't matter who gets fucked in the process. Bummer. I used to like him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finally got my copy and played it for like 6 or so hours today.

Incredible game, Rockstar pulled it off and it is wonderful.

I kinda wish enemy visibility was better

When I took on
Ft. Mercer
, it was storming, so I could only see the incredible number of enemies when lightning struck. It was atmospheric as hell, but decidedly less so as I kept dying.

Meier said:
So I bought a horse from the general store but don't see it and he doesn't respond to my whistle. What gives? Coat me $750 so I hope it isn't some sort of bug..

Open your inventory, use the deed, and it should spawn. As a bonus, the game will also quick save.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kintaro said:
So, pet peeve time.

This game assumes you are doing missions in a certain order and actually spoils itself. This happens with the Seth/Dickens/Irish set of missions. If you don't do them in a certain order and get ahead in one, the other will make mention (during conversation while traveling) about events that have yet to happen.
The missions are actually funneled to specifically prevent this. Only thing I can think of is that your game is bugged. Haven't gotten to Mexico yet, so I can't comment on it.

Mojojo

Just got the game and a pS3 slim( god of war 3 pack)... After years of playing the Wii on a Sony bravia, it's a feast for the eyes for sure :D .

Great game but i encoutered my first freeze :(. Happened only once for now, but did anyone else get any? It happened after a follow up 'question mark quest'(the ones at the marshall office). .Crying man on chair The event didn't trigger and game froze . (it worked after reboot)

What's up with those fucking sadistic Marshall's ?

I want to be good but after helping them out they do something terrible and i just have to shoot the bastards raising my wanted level and losing honor in the process .

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mojojo said:
Great game but i encoutered my first freeze :(. Happened only once for now, but did anyone else get any? It happened after a follow up 'question mark quest'(the ones at the marshall office). .Crying man on chair The event didn't trigger and game froze . (it worked after reboot)

I had one freeze up. I also had a really weird glitch where I was walking around the town that you start out at and I was suddenly teleported to the top of the train, it was really weird.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dance In My Blood said:
The missions are actually funneled to specifically prevent this. Only thing I can think of is that your game is bugged. Haven't gotten to Mexico yet, so I can't comment on it.

Unless my entire game is bugged, it's not funneled. For example, with the Seth/Irish/Dickens missions, I finished one of the parts completely before moving to another one. This is the same in Mexico. You can finish the entire section of missions (unless it pops up again) with the gunman before heading further East to speak with the Mexican Military guy.

So, unless my game was bugged from the start (in which case, they doesn't help my opinion of Rockstar at all either), the game spoils itself.

In terms of pet peeves, the biggest annoyance is how weapons seem to randomly switch on you and you can't tell which one you're going to pull out without bringing up the wheel

So if I see some guy stabbing a girl, I don't really have time to check my weapon wheel and squint to see whether I have the lasso equipped. And if people are shooting at me, changing weapons takes time.

A hot-key system on the D-pad would have worked so much better.

Jesus this game is awesome. I had to turn it off at about 4 a.m. even though I wanted to play more. I think I put in about ten hours today and barely scratched the surface. I never got bored once. I have to stress I haven't played so much of one game in one sitting in probably ten years. It's weird. I usually hate Rockstar sandbox games, but the awesome setting and sheer variety of crap to do has got me hooked. I also love the fact I can choose whether or not to be a good guy or bad guy. I never thought I'd see the day when the main character in a Rockstar game is actually likeable.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kintaro said:
Unless my entire game is bugged, it's not funneled. For example, with the Seth/Irish/Dickens missions, I finished one of the parts completely before moving to another one. This is the same in Mexico. You can finish the entire section of missions (unless it pops up again) with the gunman before heading further East to speak with the Mexican Military guy.

So, unless my game was bugged from the start (in which case, they doesn't help my opinion of Rockstar at all either), the game spoils itself.
There was definitely sections where I had to meet with Seth and Irish before moving on with West Dickens.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ha ha yeah, about the Cougars. I heard some crazy screech, and I didn't think too much of it. I assumed it was an animal I couldn't see so I just went on my merry way and then all of a sudden, something jumps out at me, then I just realised -- I got slashed to death by a Cougar.

Maybe I just got lucky with my mission picking, but I remember the dialogue reacting to missions I had already done when I could have done them in a different order.

Big-ass Ramp

I haven't really looked at the achievements, but they must be nuts. I have played for 20 hours and have only racked up 5 achievements so far.

Ledsen

GillianSeed79 said:
Jesus this game is awesome. I had to turn it off at about 4 a.m. even though I wanted to play more. I think I put in about ten hours today and barely scratched the surface. I never got bored once. I have to stress I haven't played so much of one game in one sitting in probably ten years. It's weird. I usually hate Rockstar sandbox games, but the awesome setting and sheer variety of crap to do has got me hooked. I also love the fact I can choose whether or not to be a good guy or bad guy. I never thought I'd see the day when the main character in a Rockstar game is actually likeable.

Are the missions any different based on your fame/honor? So far the good/bad system seems extremely shallow and unimportant since you can't even choose how you're going to act in the missions. Will you help the slimy snake oil salesman? Yes, you have no choice. Admittedly Rockstar games are always very shallow and never give you any real choice, but it would've been cool if they did.

Big Ass Ramp said:
I haven't really looked at the achievements, but they must be nuts. I have played for 20 hours and have only racked up 5 achievements so far.
Rockstar achievements always give you a token amount of points for playing the game and the bulk for stuff you probably would never do otherwise.

Big-ass Ramp

ShockingAlberto said:
Rockstar achievements always give you a token amount of points for playing the game and the bulk for stuff you probably would never do otherwise.

I only got ~650 achievement points from GTA 4, and I probably put 100 hours into it.

Side note: fuck yes, just got a poncho.

putarorex

Awesome game. First game in a long time that I have played so long that my eyes are all tired and bloodshot. I decided to take a break after playing four hours straight...and that was after a short lunch break following another four stint.

Multiplayer is super fun as well, but christ it seems there is an asshole out there in almost every free roam that decides he wants to mess with your posse when you are trying to complete a gang hideout. But even that can make things interesting. I haven't tried playing any pvp, but the free roam doesn't seem laggy and I am playing from Japan. GTA4 multiplayer was damn near impossible to play from Japan with the US version.

This has probably been answered somewhere, but if you switch to expert mode in multiplayer does that prevent others from locking on to you? Every once in awhile, I can't lock on to the griefers and I assume they are playing on expert mode or something.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ledsen said:
Are the missions any different based on your fame/honor? So far the good/bad system seems extremely shallow and unimportant since you can't even choose how you're going to act in the missions. Will you help the slimy snake oil salesman? Yes, you have no choice. Admittedly Rockstar games are always very shallow and never give you any real choice, but it would've been cool if they did.

It doesn't seem like the missions change at all, neither does Marston's attitude in the cutscenes. Didn't really expect otherwise though, most games just throw in a morality bar just to do it.

ShockingAlberto said:
In terms of pet peeves, the biggest annoyance is how weapons seem to randomly switch on you and you can't tell which one you're going to pull out without bringing up the wheel

So if I see some guy stabbing a girl, I don't really have time to check my weapon wheel and squint to see whether I have the lasso equipped. And if people are shooting at me, changing weapons takes time.

A hot-key system on the D-pad would have worked so much better.

The last time I played I randomly pulled out a knife instead of a gun 3-4 times, never happened to me before that.

Also, all the social club leaderboards seem hacked. :lol

Ledsen said:

Well that's true I guess. I'm talking more along the lines of the optional stuff like how you can chase down theeves or help random people. I'm still pretty early in the game, but I haven't been forced to be a douche bag or pyshopath yet. I'm sure that will probably change maybe. I do remember a specific side mission where I could purchase property for a stranger or kill the property owner and steal the deed for the stranger.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GillianSeed79 said:
Well that's true I guess. I'm talking more along the lines of the optional stuff like how you can chase down theeves or help random people. I'm still pretty early in the game, but I haven't been forced to be a douche bag or pyshopath yet. I'm sure that will probably change maybe. I do remember a specific side mission where I could purchase property for a stranger or kill the property owner and steal the deed for the stranger.

That was my least favorite part of the game so far.
IIRC it said "rough him up" or pay the ridiculous $200 for that shitty shack, so I punched him, he pulled out a gun and shot me, and I lasso'd him and took the deed. When I went back to the guy the deed was covered in blood and I apparently murdered the guy in cold blood. Bullshit.

KaYotiX

Banned
Wow at the multiplayer...if its not Free Roam or Hardcore its dumb.

First off the dead eye meter shouldnt be allowed online, its basically auto-aim and normal aiming is press LT and lock on to enemies. Played a few modes tonight and its basically the winning team gets it easier (they will usually always have full dead eye meters) so when the losing team respawns you just get 4 X's on em and kill them and repeat.

I was on both ends tonight and it just seems broken with the dead eye meter, shouldnt be in MP at all IMO. Free Roam is amazing and Hardcore will be my new place for MP.

/rant

Up to episode 5 of Deadwood. I loathe westerns, but damn I'm getting in the mood.

I played about an hour of RDR before putting it away realizing I needed to be coaxed into it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Papercuts said:
That was my least favorite part of the game so far.
IIRC it said "rough him up" or pay the ridiculous $200 for that shitty shack, so I punched him, he pulled out a gun and shot me, and I lasso'd him and took the deed. When I went back to the guy the deed was covered in blood and I apparently murdered the guy in cold blood. Bullshit.

You're better off paying $200, as you'll get the money back as part of the mission with a small $20 profit. I thought it was worth it in the end.

Top Bottom