• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mik2121

RelentlessRolento said:
yeah I'm having a hard time too.. I know the landmark, just not where to look
You know on your way between Armadillo and McFarlane, when you have to go up some cliff-side road? Well, once you're at the bottom and facing Armadillo, instead of going straight just go to the right until you find a big-ass rock.

If you already knew it, the treasure is in-between the big rock and a smaller one, really well hidden. You have to walk through a very tight area. The whole place isn't very wide so it shouldn't take you too long to find it.

Raide

I had a few hours last night on some SP and MP. Just a few thoughts.

Graphics are not perfect in places (Some jaggies, a tiny amount of pop-in etc) but standing on a hill, watching the sunset or looking up at night to see the stars and moon, it just pure awesome. The only issue with night is that if you look straight up, you get the added lighting bloom. Look down and it snaps very quickly back to normal. Its a little jarring.

Weather effects are also awesome. Minor early quest spoiler below regarding cattle.
Driving the herd of cattle through the storm was one of the early standout moments for me.

Soundtrack is just amazing. It really kicks in at the right moments and makes the travelling on horse, scouting around town or just wandering around the wilderness, so much more awesome. Rattlesnakes still freak me out when I gently trot by and they go mental at me. :lol

The whole doing good or bad deeds thing seems a little odd. I stopped to give someone a lift, who promptly ripped me off my horse and sped away. 1 rifle and some Dead Eye later, he was dead but it said it was a bad act. It was my damn horse! :lol

After playing MP Free Roam, I managed to steal a 2 man coach thing. Great for 2 people by why on earth can you not jump in the back? You cannot even surf it like GTA to get around a little quicker. At least make it 3 or 4 man. It was funny to see Euphoria kick in and vault my friend right off the top into a wall. :lol

I am looking forward to getting into some RDR Gaf games and roaming around. Once the servers are sorted of course.

Raide said:
After playing MP Free Roam, I managed to steal a 2 man coach thing. Great for 2 people by why on earth can you not jump in the back? You cannot even surf it like GTA to get around a little quicker. At least make it 3 or 4 man. It was funny to see Euphoria kick in and vault my friend right off the top into a wall. :lol

Ah ha, that's what YOU think. Try "parking" it at an angle next time. My posse fit 4 people back there before some idiots ruined the whole thing.

AcciDante

So I'm going through the woods when some guy stops me and says that some other guys are going to hang his wife. I, of course, go to save the day. I line up my dead eye shots going from the noose to each of the bad guys and take them all out. I then look to make sure I cut the rope and there's a gigantic grizzly bear sneaking up behind the woman I just saved and she gets fucking destroyed.

Awesome.

Raide

Net_Wrecker said:
Ah ha, that's what YOU think. Try "parking" it at an angle next time. My posse fit 4 people back there before some idiots ruined the whole thing.

So parking it and then trying to jump off a higher object to get in?

Dante369 said:
So I'm going through the woods when some guy stops me and says that some other guys are going to hang his wife. I, of course, go to save the day. I line up my dead eye shots going from the noose to each of the bad guys and take them all out. I then look to make sure I cut the rope and there's a gigantic grizzly bear sneaking up behind the woman I just saved and she gets fucking destroyed.

Awesome.

Haha legendary

I had a guy come up to me saying his friend was being hanged and he needed help, I took too long and his mate died, he then sat holding his still dangling friends legs crying his eyes out, a piece of me died...

Raide

kyo_daikun said:
Haha legendary

I had a guy come up to me saying his friend was being hanged and he needed help, I took too long and his mate died, he then sat holding his still dangling friends legs crying his eyes out, a piece of me died...

Did you then shoot him, loot the corpse and gallop away?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I just got an e-mail from Amazon (where I ordered my copy from) with a code for the Golden Guns Weapon Pack. The thing is, my copy already came packaged with a flier that contained a Golden Guns code.

So now I have an extra Golden Guns code. Is there anyone out there who has an extra code for the GameStop or Best Buy bonuses that would be willing to trade? Drop me a PM if you do. PS3 version, by the way.

I tried to rescue a stranger from a pack of wild wolves yesterday, but when I went into Dead Eye mode, it auto-targeted his hand, and even though I killed all the wolves and he survived, I didn't get credit, and became wanted.

Is there any way of avoiding targeting friendly people, or at least cancelling an auto-target if it's on something you don't want to hit? I can see it being an issue otherwise.

Raide said:
So parking it and then trying to jump off a higher object to get in?

Doesn't even have to be that much higher. Just at an angle where a sprint jump would get over the wood. People in the back don't slide or anything. It's pretty cool.

Picked this up for the three six oh today and then had to work a nice 9 hour shift before I could pop it in.

I've only played it for two hours right now but I am loving this already. Shooting anything is so satisfying, I came across some guy getting robbed, jumped off my horse and hit the dead eye and popped three fuckers in the head and made some quick cash. Then I fucking blew all the cash I made at the tables. God damn poker gets every time.

Looking forward to spending some more time with this game. The GAF hype train got me good!

Did I miss something or is Marston's backstory never mentioned in the intro? He mentioned it towards Bonnie that he was betrayed, his son and woman got kidnapped, but you never saw the whole thing. Or is this dealt with later in the game? Because I somewhere saw or read that you actually see the betrayal and kidnapping.

Patrick Bateman said:
Did I miss something or is Marston's backstory never mentioned in the intro? He mentioned it towards Bonnie that he was betrayed, his son and woman got kidnapped, but you never saw the whole thing. Or is this dealt with later in the game? Because I somewhere saw or read that you actually see the betrayal and kidnapping.

Dealt with later from what I have read.

Mik2121

I love this game... going from killing some gang around.. to hunting down small beavers and collecting herbs :lol :lol

Anyway, finally got to Mexico and got my poncho as well.. first thing I did was wear it.. the mood in this area is so awesome =)

There is a small paper behind the manual in the game case with the codes for the DLC. That's how I got mine anyway. It is the same paper advertising the incomign Co-Op missions

Mik2121

chandoog said:
Someone please tell me where I can find some badgers ?
You mean skunks, right? (sorry, I'm not a native English speaker so dunno if there's an actual difference between both).

If you mean skunks, I've found them everywhere. But, funny enough, I killed one right about a minute ago, somewhere around Perdido (Mexico area).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Mik2121 said:
You mean skunks, right? (sorry, I'm not a native English speaker so dunno if there's an actual difference between both).

If you mean skunks, I've found them everywhere. But, funny enough, I killed one right about a minute ago, somewhere around Perdido (Mexico area).

No one of the stranger missions is specifically asking for Badger hide/meat..

Just got my gambler's outfit and the long coat with handkerchief. But I noticed that it seems not to be appropriate to go into a store with the latter. Scarred a few people with that. :lol

OK, I have been playing RDR for about a day and a half (doing little else to be perfectly honest) and I have to say, it is an exceptional game. I've just crossed into
Mexico and completed the gunslinger challange.

The characters, score and gunplay are fantastic, and considering the scope of the game, the graphics are beautiful.

I've only encountered one bug in well over twelve hours (my coat would go crazy during cutscenes and clip through my legs, but it only lasted one mission). Aside from that I haven't encountered one performance hitch. No framerate issues, no tearing, no clipping, no texture-loading. I'm on 360 and I have installed it so it's running from the HDD.

I've even managed to keep the same horse since
I broke in the stallion at the McGregor ranch

Colour me very, very impressed. Anywho, I'm going back for more. Goodbye weekend. :D

For fuck's sake, when somebody tries to steal my horse, how am I supposed to get it back without killing them and losing honor? This is really annoying.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I bought the deed for the Kentucky Saddler horse. Fast my ass. Horse is a slow piece of shit. I miss my old horse now.

What's the fastest horse in the game?

Darkman M

Ben2749 said:
For fuck's sake, when somebody tries to steal my horse, how am I supposed to get it back without killing them and losing honor? This is really annoying.

whistle and you're horse will buck them off,then lasso the thief and feed him to wolves.

Ben2749 said:
Give a little whistle?

... And always let your conscience be your guide :)

Dabanton said:
Just started this and i'm wandering around town,currently watching a man doing a piss.

:lol :lol

Love that. Guys just jump off their horse in the middle of nowhere and waddle to the nearest rock to piss. Their piss even glints in the sun!

Anyways, I have some questions:

1. Can you perform stealth kills with the knife (like the animated close-quarters gun kills)?

2. With the Pike's Basin challenge on R* social club, do you have to perform all 3 tasks in one fell swoop? Can you retry?

3. I've seen you can 'rent' some properties rather than outright purchase. How long do you get these rented properties for?

4. How can you tell what breed of horse you're riding?

Ben2749 said:
Buy the Bandana. It's a must have. I put it on when I want to cause some shit. Don't forget to take it off though or you won't gain fame or honor after doing missions and other good samaritan acts.

Darkman M

criesofthepast said:
I bought the deed for the Kentucky Saddler horse. Fast my ass. Horse is a slow piece of shit. I miss my old horse now.

What's the fastest horse in the game?

Kentucky is a fast breed, Hungarian(white horse black face) and American Standard breed(black horse) those are the three fastest. I personally love my new black horse was a bitch to find though.

Tokubetsu

I think Blackwater maybe glitched? I can't seem to buy the one property thats there. I see no blue X and can't find it anywhere around the icon.

Darkman M

Tokubetsu said:
I think Blackwater maybe glitched? I can't seem to buy the one property thats there. I see no blue X and can't find it anywhere around the icon.

I think that property is free, i don't remember buying it yet it's marked as an owned property.

Is there no penalty for surrendering to the law and going to jail? I don't notice any money being taken away or weapons or nothing.

Also, I hate Herbert Moon the shopkeeper in Armadillo. I killed him during a poker game early on in my game yet he's still alive and running for my help everytime his store gets robbed. (which is like everyday)

Patrick Bateman said:
Shoot him in the arm or leg. Grab him with your lasso.

Easier said than done now that Dead Eye has been upgraded and auto targets every part of their body as soon as I move the crosshairs over them. Which is also really pissing me off, as it not only makes taking somebody alive more difficult, but I keep auto-targeting people/horses I don't want to when I'm in the middle of a firefight.

blanky

chandoog said:
Someone please tell me where I can find some badgers ?

Badgers or beavers? If this is for that sidequest for a guy who needs some plants, feathers and furs then you need to go to the third area there is technically only one place the beaver will show up. It's along the ridge, near the river and Tanner Reach or something. There's a railroad going over the river near there. if you walk down the path there, on the left next to the water (it's a high road you cant get down to the water if you're north of the track).

I just finished this one earlier this day and for me it was quite hard. For some reason beavers don't show up that much, I've had 2 bug out on me when i shot them they dissapeared so I knived one and i could skin it. Maybe you're lucky, but be prepared to spend a lot of time there.

I must say, I really love this game. The environment everywhere is stunning and beautiful to look at. The game offers you so much and pretty much all of it enjoyable! The little minigames are great when you get the hang of it, especially in the gamble area when you see the others make crazy decisions. I love wasting houurs doing a simple hunt, treasure chest or some other miscellaneous challenge. And it never felt repetitive, that's what I really liked from the singleplayer so far the missions never feel like a chore and really try to do something new or different sometimes.

Amazing game :)

@DieselRainbow. If the requirement says Search "x" area. then you need to find a chest in that area and open it. it's usually in a cabin or a tent. Just run around the area a bit and you'll stumble upon it. Though some outfits or requirements wont open until you've finished a certain quest.

Darkman M

DieselRainbow said:
To get some outfit pieces you have to search an area... I've spent ages wandering the area but i wont unlock... is there something I need to do?

Check for chest in the area for outfit scraps.

dexterslu

Tokubetsu said:

No, you're going in the wrong way. Enter through the saloon, it's upstairs.

Just finished the single player! really awesome ending, I've got 92/94 locations discovered - anyone know what the last three are? I've bought all the maps so I'm guessing the last two are hidden?

Weenerz

Banned
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Lazlow was on the Opie & Anthony radio program this week discussing RDR. They asked him when/if the PC version was going to come out and Lazlow mentioned that they would like the game to pay for itself before everyone steals their shit. So, I'm guessing in about 2 years :lol

qwerty2k

Weenerz said:
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Lazlow was on the Opie & Anthony radio program this week discussing RDR. They asked him when/if the PC version was going to come out and Lazlow mentioned that they would like the game to pay for itself before everyone steals their shit. So, I'm guessing in about 2 years :lol

perhaps they should have held off on a 360 version then...

Top Bottom