• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

aristotle

Costanza said:
Alright, finally got around to starting this. I really wasn't expecting it to feel SO much like GTA4. People saying that it's pretty much just a reskinned version are spot on.

It's not necessarily a big deal.. I mean, GTA4 did have a good engine underneath, and the presentation (voice acting, cutscenes) here is off the charts. But man, the game plays so fucking similarly.

It's jarring.

I find that odd. I couldn't play past 2 hours of GTA4 because I hated it so much. *shrugs*

see5harp

sazabirules said:
That sucks. I don't want to even use it in singleplayer.

Yea well...ps3. You wouldn't even be able to play music from the network which would limit my use of the feature anyways. I still think the feature would still be cool if you are just farming challenges at endgame.

Costanza

Banned
This game doesn't seem to play nice with my headphones. If I'm on a mission when another character is talking as we ride horses and I go just a little bit too far away the voice track gets all static-y and cuts out.

Zeliard

Costanza said:
This game doesn't seem to play nice with my headphones. If I'm on a mission when another character is talking as we ride horses and I go just a little bit too far away the voice track gets all static-y and cuts out.

Do you have the headphone settings in the sound options turned on?

JBuccCP

Deepack said:
Wow. Heartbreaking scene just now...

I was riding towards Thieves Landing when I stumbled upon a man sitting on his knees, next to the corpse of his wife. He weapt, en touched the body in disbelief. I stood there, watching. And out of nowhere, the man pulls a gun and shoots himself through the head.
The next person who comes across this try to shoot the gun out of his hand and tell us what happens.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How do you engage in a duel in a town? I want to do a duel in armadillo to get my deadly assassin outfit.
ohhh i dids it

Kingbrave

I'm addicted to the multiplayer. I love taking out the bandit strongholds online. And the shootouts before the competitive stuff begins is just awesome. I always get the urge to stop playing and watch TGTBATU while playing, so that's a good thing.

blanky

Haunted said:
So no one knows the Rio del Toro
featured in treasure map level 5
? Had a lot of fun figuring out the previous ones, but a nod in the right direction would be nice. :D

ah yeah that one had me for a bit because Rio del Toro was written on the river, but as you know there is only one river which means Rio del Toro is a place. That should help you out enough, the 2nd clue on the map is very obvious when you get there.

soldat7

LethaL ImpuLse said:
RDR is probably one of the first games I've seen with no option to reverse both axes. The mistake is just utterly baffling to me.

This is a common frustration that I have with many Japanese games as well.

Meier

Am I going to get the chance to go back to New Austin? I assume I must because of the stranger asking me to get herbs that are located there.

Mileena

Banned
Meier said:
Am I going to get the chance to go back to New Austin? I assume I must because of the stranger asking me to get herbs that are located there.
yea, one of the bridges is up shortly after you get to Mexico

DarkKyo

Still looking to trade my golden guns 360 code for another dlc code. Sorry, last time I'll mention it. I'm assuming there is an overabundance of golden gun codes because everyone who got it got two of them.

Downhome

I just got a "ringer" in horseshoes. I sure can't do it consistently though.

I love just climbing on the train from my horse then riding around looking at everything.

brentech

Meus Renaissance said:
I heard the metal clank off the pole :(
I hardly consider myself good at it, but in my second game, I got a ringer as well as a huge point lead early on, then continued to mess up the rest of the game and ended up losing 11-9.

Right when I thought I was getting used to the controls, everything got weird again. Still have to spend some time with it I guess.

Ledsen

Zeliard said:
Man, nighttime is goddamn gorgeous in this game - the stellar sky, especially. I love going on night missions, riding my horse across the plains, with countless stars lighting up the sky and the moon beaming down. It's almost cathartic.

Really? I think they really failed at this, the lighting is so bland and boring at night and the skybox has been done so much better in any number of games. I was very disappointed the first time it got dark :/

Just finished the
raft ride to Mexico
, and loved it. Funniest lines:

Irish: What's the spanish word for "cunt"?
John: I thought you knew. You must have been called it a few times.

Nameless

Just wandering around I hear a lady screaming. I look around there's a woman being chased by a packed of coyotes. She didn't make it..

Nameless said:
Just wandering around I hear a lady screaming. I look around there's a woman being chased by a packed of coyotes. She didn't make it..

i know.. i get pangs of guilt when a guy rides up to me and asks to save his hanging wife... only for me to arrive and not cut the rope in time :(.... lol

The character movement is really sluggish, almost feels like you're carrying a ton of weight with you. I remember it being the same on GTAIV. It's incredibly frustrating on Mulitplayer though when you're trying to chase someone or escape and you struggle to even walk through a damn door.

BeeDog

Been playing for some odd hours (not too much), and so far, John's a really likable main character. Probably the best one in a R* game thus far. Gotta love his polite approach to everything while still having that badass dark voice.

Gowans

Arg!!! Why is it wverytine I go to multi wanting to setup a private game it can't connect to the first open session then I'm left in the menu till I reboot!!!

Rockstar sort your shit!

Raxus

Meus Renaissance said:
The character movement is really sluggish, almost feels like you're carrying a ton of weight with you. I remember it being the same on GTAIV. It's incredibly frustrating on Mulitplayer though when you're trying to chase someone or escape and you struggle to even walk through a damn door.
Really. With a few exceptions and the clunky cover system I found movement to be a breeze.

I am 95% done with the game I just need to clean up a few bounties and go unlock the (main) costumes.

DarkKyo

Xater said:
Jesus are we sensitive today. That didn't tell you anything!
You just said
"sex scene took me by surprise"
.. well it won't for me, because I'll be expecting it around every corner now.

Pimpbaa

Meus Renaissance said:

No, it feels realistic. Like the people in the game have weight to them and not some unrealistic videogame character that can stop on a dime and turn around like a top as if there were not gravity or momentum

Dresden

Dechaios said:
You just said
"sex scene took me by surprise"
.. well it won't for me, because I'll be expecting it around every corner now.
:lol

Who gives a fuck. Here, let me spoil you, Marston kills people! Oh god, you're going to expect it everywhere now!

Pimpbaa said:
No, it feels realistic. Like the people in the game have weight to them and not some unrealistic videogame character that can stop on a dime and turn around like a top as if there were not gravity or momentum

Whether or not its realistic is another issue, but it does frustrate me a lot. Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting against the controls more so than my opponents. This is why I prefer open maps. Spawning inside a building is painful for me.

Xater

Dresden said:

Who gives a fuck. Here, let me spoil you, Marston kills people! Oh god, you're going to expect it everywhere now!

Exactly! YOu have absolutely no context to what I said. :lol

Spriig

Banned
Dresden said:

What are you on about. Most stupid comparison in the world. "took my be surprise" is what he started with, this alone should explain the reason why it should be a spoiler.

EDIT: My bad, for some reason i thought he was talking about the main guy. Yeah its not really spoiler material tbh.

Drahcir

Got the game on release day and had no technical problems with the game until last night. I select the game from the XMB and waited for it to load except it didn't. It was just a black screen and my PS3 kept whirring (not loud, just normally I guess) but the game didn't go to the opening credits. My PS3 button didn't work so I tried powering the console down by holding the Power button but that didn't do anything either. Uh oh. So I ejected the disc then. Still wouldn't power off. I put the disc back in and it seemed like it was loading but nothing changed. I held the power button again and this time it powered off.

When I started the console up and tried to play the game again, it worked this time. I don't remember if I have ever had that kind of problem with my other games and I have had my system for only a year and a half. My PS3 isn't crapping out is it?

Quick question.

When in Dead Eye, merely moving the LS across the body of an enemy causes the 'cross marks' to appear where John will shoot at when you press the RT. Is this the same thing when duelling? In that you only move the LS across certain body parts of a person and that's how the marks appear? Because as of now, I've been using the LS and then RT to mark each point I wanted John to shoot, thus pressing the RT 3 or 4 times in Duel

Lakitu

st5fu
Been playing all day. Damn it's so awesome. The little things are so great, like I was just wandering around at night and some guy got off his horse in a rush while he was riding and ran towards the nearest rock and started pissing. So I interrupted him mid-piss by running him over with my horse and then I just went on my way to a ranch not too far away not thinking much of it. Suddenly some guy runs up to me going nuts and starts shooting at me. Needless to say, he was dealt with. All because he took a piss on the side of the road :lol

Things like that really make this game. It's so immersive.

Question about Tumbleweed, is there any easter eggs in that town, etc?

Nameless

FUUUUUU...

a gang of like 8 dudes just came riding into the town out of no where shooting their guns in the air. One member was dragging some poor sop behind his horse. I opened fire. I died. :lol

Xater

Nameless said:
FUUUUUU...

a gang of like 8 dudes just came riding into the town out of no where shooting their guns in the air. One member was dragging some poor sop behind his horse. I opened fire. I died. :lol

Same thing happened to me today but it was only 3 guys. That was not as hard to handle. :D

I was playing horseshoes which I am absolutely shit at and I threw a horseshoe that (no kidding) landed on top of the stake and balanced perfectly on top of it. Did not count as a ringer, but come one that's got to be a one in a million toss!!

Top Bottom