• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

The moments that you can have in the free roam are awesome. Last night we had a posse of 4 people riding over to a gang hideout. We stopped by some trees near the hideout and started over planning the raid in western accents lol. Suddenly I hear "BEAR!" and two guys got instantly mauled by a bear we didn't see. The other player and I tried to kill it with knives and died horribly.

Gowans

Is all there is in free roam anything else bar the challenges and bandit hunts?
I was hoping for some mission variety?
Does it come at higher level?
Where's the hunting stuff?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
WTF.

I just saw a dude dump a woman's body out in the desert.

I looted her body. She's attracting vultures. I wonder if I'd have gotten honour if I'd gone after the dude...

gofreak said:
WTF.

I just saw a dude dump a woman's body out in the desert.

I looted her body. She's attracting vultures. I wonder if I'd have gotten honour if I'd gone after the dude...
You might have missed a side mission in a town with a whore and her pimp where he was beating her and you have to pay him $200 for her freedom, she tells John that she's going to be a nun, you go to a church and you find out that he took her again and killed her, you find him burrying her , have a duel and take you money back.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rapping Granny said:
You might have missed a side mission in a town with a whore and her pimp where he was beating her and you have to pay him $200 for her freedom, she tells John that she's going to be a nun, you go to a church and you find out that he took her again and killed her, you find him, have a duel and take you money back.

Hmm..interesting. Would it not be weird for a side story to play out without you triggering it, though? This was just outside Armadillo btw.

Had another strange encounter with a dude in the desert who said he was stranded, then he knocked me off my horse and stole it. I gave chase on foot, then decided to whistle for my horse, and lo and behold my horse comes back to me, without the dude. For some weird reason I got +50 Honor for that :lol

Just failed a mission that involves jumping onto a train because instead of jumping onto it, I ended up like inside the wood of the floor then the screen glitched out and a falling animation played. When the screen was back to normal I was way behind where my horse and the train were and unable to come anywhere near catching up to it in time.

Alucrid

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
You might have missed a side mission in a town with a whore and her pimp where he was beating her and you have to pay him $200 for her freedom, she tells John that she's going to be a nun, you go to a church and you find out that he took her again and killed her, you find him burrying her , have a duel and take you money back.

Nah, stranger quests don't happen like that.

Meier

Darkman M said:
Yeah it's crazy out there, i actually got a bounty+Honor for saving some people from being executed from officers though.
This happened to me. I thought I was being a good guy.. oops.

Darkman M said:
Oh i mean i got positive honor, yet still had a bounty :lol

You get a bounty cause the other officers obviously see you kill them one by one. But once they're all dead you're in the clear. I looked in my stats and it didn't even count as a crime of any sort.

Darkman M

Alucrid said:
Nah, stranger quests don't happen like that.

The thing granny is talking about is a stranger mission, gofreak's encounter was just one of many random encounters.

HadesGigas said:
You get a bounty cause the other officers obviously see you kill them one by one. But once they're all dead you're in the clear. I looked in my stats and it didn't even count as a crime of any sort.

Yeah i notice i lose bountys all the time without paying. I think having really high honor lets you get away with alot of stuff.

Meier

HadesGigas said:
Yeah, my bounty got up to $100 from it but it went away/didn't stick in my stats.

panda21

jesus christ this is the best thing ever.

beats GTAIV by a mile. the way they have used the subject matter is much more interesting.

MP is so shallow yet so addictive.

timkunedo said:
game is amazing, but kind of buggy. I was just climing up some rocks and fell through the map.

Actually it's buggy as fuck but the positives so far outweigh them that's it not that big of a deal.

hey guys found a grave stone in the grave yard named Marshall Duncan from the movie High Plains Drifter!

Also went into an abandoned house and a chest that unlocks a avatar item!

So i got a treasure map and the journal says
try and locate the treasure somewhere in New Austin....I didn't know where New Austin was so I googled it and it says on wiki that New Austin is the whole of the first area... I'm supposed to find the treasure in the whole of New Austin from 2 drawings of the same noose hanging from a tree..? WTF?

Dresden

macfoshizzle said:
hey guys found a grave stone in the grave yard named Marshall Duncan from the movie High Plains Drifter!

Where?

macfoshizzle said:

Location immediately!!!

Bungieware said:
try and locate the treasure somewhere in New Austin....I didn't know where New Austin was so I googled it and it says on wiki that New Austin is the whole of the first area... I'm supposed to find the treasure in the whole of New Austin from 2 drawings of the same noose hanging from a tree..? WTF?
Thnk it's the hangman stone or something like that???

JBuccCP

Bungieware said:
All the treasure maps have something that directly correlates to something on the regular map.

Bungieware said:
Location immediately!!!
The chest can be found inside a burnt out shack in Riley's Charge

BeeDog

Holy shit, my first encounter with the cougar(s) scared the shit out of me. I was minding my own fucking business after a mission pretty early in the game, using an awesome black steed I had found like 20 minutes beforehand. It was night, so I barely saw shit, then I see this small fucking creature fly out from the bushes, the screen turns red, my horse drops dead and John flies like a fucking ragdoll for like 15 feet. :lol I kill the damn cougar, then 4(!) more pop up in short notice; the 4th one offed me. :( Motherfucking awesome game.

Anyway, the game's also pretty buggy; during a mission with Seth, I tried taking cover behind a broken wagon. Suddenly, John was launched like 200 feet into the air just like that, and I got the mission failed screen for abandoning Seth. :lol

Majine

Banned
Feels like I'm missing out one dimension of the game by having the warhouse from the LE. Seeing as its supposed to be the best in the game, I haven't really tried hunting down any other.

Oh well, maybe for that trophy.

TheStringTheory said:
Where is the Twin Rocks hideout located ? It's the last hideout I need to clear, but I can't find it anywhere.

North of Armadillo. It's not so much of a hideout as a small house and garden :p

Since you summon a horse you bought by "using" the deed from the menu, can you summon another one if it is killed? I just used the deed, and I still have it.

Xater

Ben2749 said:
Since you summon a horse you bought by "using" the deed from the menu, can you summon another one if it is killed? I just used the deed, and I still have it.

I don't know if this is a special case because I got killed with my horse, but after the load I could "summon" it again.

Majine

Banned
Ben2749 said:
It has a cooldown, if I remember. Keep whistling and it'll return from the dead.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Akim said:
ok it's just making werid noises...do you think that's a yes or no?

just follow the golden rule, my brother. if the legs kick up, duck and tuck.

Top Bottom