• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Auto aim is a lot worse in this game than GTA4. Seems like I have to press the trigger 5 times before it finally locks on to something and if I try to adjust the aim I lose the lock immediately.

Majine

Banned
My biggest gripe so far is the online. It seems I almost always connect to just 4-5 other people, when the limit is 16, right?

Druz

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The chest can be found inside a burnt out shack in Riley's Charge

Lamest item ever... a red tshirt? Where is the duster coat or something.

Barrett2

In Mexico, middle of nowhere, i break-in a majestic horse. Less than a minute later, i see a pack of wolves coming for me. I bring the horse to a full stop, carefully aim, and begin quickly shooting into the pack. All the sudden the horse rears his head, i shoot him, it drops like a brick, and i am running frantically to find a new horse before more wolves find me.

Hawkie

For those playing horseshoe/going for a ringer and having a few difficulties here's a few tips:

1. Use LT to line your shot up before swinging. Aim to put the peg in the middle of your horseshoe.

2. Swing the horseshoe using RS (forward and back). The harder you push it forward the more force is used in your throw on release. Usually 2 swings will be enough.

3. Release your horseshoe with RT. My advice is to aim to release between the middle gauge marker (white) and the top one (black) for best chance at a ringer.

Dammit, anyone else have trouble doing this Gaptooth Breach race? I can't race because me and half of the other racers horses are stuck in the ground.

25que4z.jpg

I've tried doing the mission 5 times now, always the same.

So I couldn't take my horse to Mexico? FFS!! I didn't even get to say goodbye.... had I known, I would have take him up Hanging Rock at sunset.....one bullet to the head *goodbye old friend*

syllogism

Bungieware said:
So I couldn't take my horse to Mexico? FFS!! I didn't even get to say goodbye.... had I known, I would have take him up Hanging Rock at sunset.....one bullet to the head *goodbye old friend*
Can't you just whistle? Regardless, you can go back; just put a waypoint and you'll see how

MMaRsu

SuperSonic1305 said:
Auto aim is a lot worse in this game than GTA4. Seems like I have to press the trigger 5 times before it finally locks on to something and if I try to adjust the aim I lose the lock immediately.

You're doing it wrong

Reknoc

SPACECADET said:
Dammit, anyone else have trouble doing this Gaptooth Breach race? I can't race because me and half of the other racers horses are stuck in the ground.

I had the same problem but with a different mission where some carts are supposed to go past you. Infact the whole game was messing up with carts where they'd bounce around or just not move at all. Had to quit the game and restart.

Snowballo

Could you tell me how to set an EXPERT MATCH?
I can just host NORMAL (aim system) match... in which you can lock your target (like in Zelda Ocarina of Time). I don't like it. I'd like to have a more difficult aiming system.

How could I do?
Ah, I'm at LEVEL 11.

syllogism said:
Can't you just whistle? Regardless, you can go back; just put a waypoint and you'll see how

Yeah, he turned up when I started the first mission there. Knew it was him because his stamina bar went up to full. Not going to lose him again.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I had a small town in Mexico have snakes, cougars, and wolves just walking around with the humans. They just ignored each other.

Poker is actually a lot of fun when you cheat. :D It becomes a different game, as even if you know you're better off folding, you can swap out cards for something good (like an Ace) to increase your odds of winning later.

Dresden

SuperSonic1305 said:
Turn off auto aim.

gotee12

Seanspeed said:
No, thats something else.
Oops, sorry.

In the in-game map, the .-.-. denotes the separation of regions (Cholla Springs, Rio Bravo, Hannigan's Stead, etc.). It'll make more sense if you look at the colored regions on the paper map.

EvaPlusMinus said:
I had a small town in Mexico have snakes, cougars, and wolves just walking around with the humans. They just ignored each other.
I just had a bounty hunt bug in which NO ONE shot at me. They all just stood there looking at me. Easiest money I've made thus far... :lol

lawblob said:
In Mexico, middle of nowhere, i break-in a majestic horse. Less than a minute later, i see a pack of wolves coming for me. I bring the horse to a full stop, carefully aim, and begin quickly shooting into the pack. All the sudden the horse rears his head, i shoot him, it drops like a brick, and i am running frantically to find a new horse before more wolves find me.
:lol

So man, did the "patch" get released yet? How's online lately? I know I'm so behind by now but god dammit I want to enjoy the MP ASAP! How awesome is horseshoes in this game? Duster + Bandana +Horseshoes = Wild West.

TTG

Dresden said:
Turn off auto aim.

This. There's no reason to have auto aim on now that there's a dead eye mode and the up close execution animations. They smooth out the majority of the usual GTA aiming mishaps. Not to mention, the cover mechanic is improved also.

Barrett2

This game has taught me that wolves are scary as hell.

Just set some bait by the river in Mexico; hid in the bushes, and let the animals come to me. It was a deer holocaust.

Also; in case you haven't tried it, kick a chicken. Its amusing.

Mik2121

sazabirules said:
I've only encountered one snake in the game. I may have ran past others but I've only killed one.
Yeah, they are hard to spot, but if you look around (mostly in Mexico, but also in New Austin), there are actually lots of them. I've skinned 4 or 5 of them I think.

Now, all my challenges have moved to stuff I have to do in West Elizabeth, so I'll do most of the Mexico missions meanwhile. Hopefully later on there are missions happening in West Elizabeth so I can move there and do the challenges and story at the same time..

Loxley

Whelp, just finished the campaign, as well as the
"epilogue".

Holy shit. A job well very done R* San Diego.
I absolutely love how they ended the game. I admit I was skeptical at first when they took the Bioshock route and chose not to end the game at the logical point; after you kill Dutch (akin to Bioshock continuing after you kill Andrew Ryan). But they diverted from Bioshock in that they managed to actually do something smart by not ending it there. I definitely was pretty shocked when Marston was killed, and was very happy to play as James and to go take out Ross, hehe.

Giantbomb, take note:
Winner for "Best Late Title-Card Sequence" right here :D

I suppose a more in-depth analysis can happen once more of y'all finish the campaign. Suffice to say, I was extremely satisfied by the story in RDR.
Admittedly I was surprised that the Marshall never shows up again after the last time you see him, but otherwise was glad many of the characters made re-occuring appearances.

By far my Game of the Year at this point. In my opinion Rockstar just set the bar higher than ever for themselves. GTA V has a lot to live up to :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I'm one challenge away from having all the ambients done and getting my Legend costume. Stupid plant gathering. Get 2 of every single plant in the game. How about you go fuck right off.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
TTG said:
This. There's no reason to have auto aim on now that there's a dead eye mode and the up close execution animations. They smooth out the majority of the usual GTA aiming mishaps. Not to mention, the cover mechanic is improved also.

I keep is on multiplayer.. cause I barley met with anyone has turned it off

So I ran into a hilarious glitch....

I was running with the
Mexican army
up to this fort full of
rebels
when I go to take cover behind a rock. I take cover, then stand up to go to another rock, but I decide instead to cover again. Suddenly I fly about a mile into the air, then fall back to the ground, dying on impact :lol

buy teh haloz said:
I've never seen a snake, but apparently I've killed 2... not sure how that works.

You ran over them with your horse.

Geoff9920 said:
Agreed. And they always come out of nowhere! By the time I spot them it's usually too late for my horse.

As soon as I hear that cat growl... Dead Eye comes on and I scan the area around me,shooting anything that moves :lol

TeTr1C

Majine said:
My biggest gripe so far is the online. It seems I almost always connect to just 4-5 other people, when the limit is 16, right?

Same with me. I mean, I don't wanna play with 15 others, but 7 or 9 others would be fine.

I've played under ten online matches, but all of them have been with 1-3 others.

Anyone know why?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
timetokill said:
As soon as I hear that cat growl... Dead Eye comes on and I scan the area around me,shooting anything that moves :lol

I've let my guard down... and there's was an army when I got up

Good thing I saved before my horse died :D

Stitch

Gold Member
i've seen a boar near the hanging rocks when i was searching for a missing woman. it kinda ignored me but i've shot it anyways :D

TTG

dreamer3kx said:
I haven't seen one bear or boar and I recently got into Mexico.

I saw one boar, but it was a part of one of those sequences where you see a rider on a horse hunting an animal as you ride by. There are suppose to be some around the Mcfarlane Ranch(it's on the map). My next challenge is armadillos and boars so I'll have to go looking for them at some point. I wish there was a little more depth to hunting. Particular baits or traps for certain kind of animals, or some tracks to follow occasionally. I feel like it's just waiting for the game to spawn the right thing at the right time, which ofcourse is what it is, I just don't want it to break the immersion so much.

Top Bottom