• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Scrap 5: Defend residents of Hennigen’s Stead from the Bollard Twin’s gang

This is really bugging me. Hennigan's Stead stretches all the way to in between the range and Thieve's Landing. I've come across a gang before and delt with them but this scrap is still incomplete. Where exactly should I be looking for them

What also annoys me is that tailor at thieves landing.
I got a message saying he was murdered and that the store would not be open/no one there for 5 days. It's now been 7.
The shop appears in the main main, but does not appear on the lower left in-game map. Although I can walk into it, there is no one there. I have tried at different times of the day.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
G_Berry said:
Just progressed
into Mexico for the first time. When the Jose Gonzales track started playing
I knew this was one of, if not the best games I think I have ever played. I thought it was amazing anyway but this, this just topped it off.

I honestly think that this game has one of the best soundtracks of all time. And it's not just the content, but it's the way it uses the music and the timing. It's really smart.

WingM@n said:
Loving the game, but it has so many bugs and glitches.
I've seen people disappear right in front of me, people hovering above the air, horses got stuck in walls. The game locked up a few times on me.

And the piano man his chair was on his head/shoulders :lol
attachment-M39XCV.jpg
Yeh I love the game to death so I forgive those little glitches. They are everywhere though. Say my horse will disappear, reappear, disappear, and then appear at the hitch point and then run around a house when I whistel to it. Stupid horse. Or a random encounter with a stranded damsel, and she got up and ran away from me, stopped, ran back, and laid back down in the distressed position. WHY!?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone ever get killed by skinning an animal like myself?

You skin it, then the ragdoll physics go bananas and it kills you by flailing about while the skinning animation goes on.

Hilarious the first time it happens, not so much when skinning something needed for a hunter challenge.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Sinatar said:
Anyone ever get killed by skinning an animal like myself?

You skin it, then the ragdoll physics go bananas and it kills you by flailing about while the skinning animation goes on.

Hilarious the first time it happens, not so much when skinning something needed for a hunter challenge.

:lol

Nope. is this on a 360 or PS3?

TTG

How long should I keep milking the high stakes dice game? :lol Stop at 5000 or go for the achievement? I don't want it to be too game breaking.

Mik2121

Any tips for more easily winning on liar's dice? I know how to play blackjack good-ish and sorta same for Poker, but Liar's Dice... the first time I ever played was in this game, so I don't know any tip at all.

SYNTAX182

What an awesome, glitch infested game. I get off my horse and the frames dip to extremely low levels while my character starts dancing and twitching. Still an awesome game though.

WingM@n said:
I've seen people disappear right in front of me, people hovering above the air, horses got stuck in walls. The game locked up a few times on me.

attachment-M39XCV.jpg

Which costume is that? Looks like some Bayou Billy shit!

Quick question.

Guys I just started the mission where you have to go horse racing (not the one with the karts) for West Dickens(?).
How far along am I?

I don't want it to end, its so fucking awesome:D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TTG said:
How long should I keep milking the high stakes dice game? :lol Stop at 5000 or go for the achievement? I don't want it to be too game breaking.

Is there any way to return to it being like that? I seem to always win Liar's Dice but it only costs $20 now.

Mik2121 said:
Any tips for more easily winning on liar's dice? I know how to play blackjack good-ish and sorta same for Poker, but Liar's Dice... the first time I ever played was in this game, so I don't know any tip at all.

Try and play it fairly honest. At the start of the round I usually see whatever I have the most of and add one because one of the other people probably has the same. If you can get an early lead you can pretty much overpower them because you'll just know based on the amount of dice they have compared to seeing how many of each type you have that they're lying.

So I just beat it... holy shit.

sucks ass John died... but damn at the surprise of playing Jack at the end ...
0_0 just wow.

GotY hands down. It'll take alot for it to be taken over for the rest of the year. Better than any western film I've ever seen either and that's saying that the story wasn't even amazing... fuck yes.

easily the best Rockstar game I've ever played and I've pretty much played all GTAs and some offshoots >_<

one question though
as Jack can you still do all the stranger missions?

Plasma

Banned
Lifejumper said:
Quick question.

Guys I just started the mission where you have to go horse racing (not the one with the karts) for West Dickens(?).
How far along am I?

I don't want it to end, its so fucking awesome:D

You still have a long way to go ;)

RelentlessRolento said:
one question though
as Jack can you still do all the stranger missions?

I think so,
I've only done one of them so far and that was a new one that popped up in Blackwater but some of the others I had left on my map are still showing up.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Anyone think there's too much Dead Eye in this game? I don't really like using it unless its a last resort. I put it on Expert aiming too, much prefer to just play gunfights straight up rather than a bunch of auto-aiming enter-the-matrix mickey-mouse bullshit.

Mik2121

Just sent this email to Rockstar.. hopefully they answer back.

I happen to be living in Japan right now and I had bought a Japanese Playstation 3, which, as you might know, has the functions of O (circle) and X swapped. That is, O to accept, X to cancel.
Now, that' s usually OK because all games usually support it correctly and even if I import a game, it will just display the correct buttons, and work flawlessly.

The problem with RDR (and GTAIV) is that it displays the wrong buttons sometimes because, I guess, they are pre-defined rather than just 'calling' the accept or cancel buttons. I don't mind this part, as I already know that when it says "Press O to cancel", I have to press X (even though it's a bit of an annoyance, but whatever). The problem is that in all the RDR minigames, X is used to do a game-related function, and O is used to cancel, but if I press O nothing happens (because my PS3's cancel button is X) and if I press X, it does the game-related function (throwing a horseshoe, putting strength in the arm wrestling game, bidding, etc..) and at the same time goes to the "Are you sure you want to exit this minigame?" window, therefore completely breaking the flow, and in minigames like arm wrestling, making it basically unplayable.

So, my question is.. is it possible to fix this in some software update?
Also, my game region is Asian (Hong Kong?).

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear back sometime soon.
Congratulations with the game, it's definitely a masterpiece, just with very very little flaws!.

I post it here because maybe some of you know of some 'solution' (?) for this, or maybe some Rockstar fella shows up around or reads it.

Plasma said:
You still have a long way to go ;)

I think so,
I've only done one of them so far and that was a new one that popped up in Blackwater but some of the others I had left on my map are still showing up.

cool I just finished that for the
real ending... bastard had it coming
...fucker.

What are the chances of the single-player ever being patched for its glitches? I ran into a weird one before I went into work. A lawman asked me to take care of two runaway criminals and I managed to hogtie the two without a problem. It was only until I tried to pick one of the criminals up that I started having an issue. John went into his standard pick-up animation but failed to pick up the criminal and was stuck in his carrying animation. I couldn't do anything but walk around and shoot after that - so I had to reload my previous save.

Spriig

Banned
Is Landon Ricketts voiced by the same guy who did Colonel Campbell in Metal Gear Solid 2? I swear i recognise his voice from one of the Metal Gear games.

EDIT: Ok its definitely not the same guy who did Campbell. Im certain i recognise the voice actor though.

TTG

Papercuts said:
Is there any way to return to it being like that? I seem to always win Liar's Dice but it only costs $20 now.

There's gonna be a stranger mission behind the movie theater in Armadillo, he sends you to the game. You're only suppose to bust out one player, but you can keep playing forever. I stopped at 5k since it's getting late. Not sure if it will be there tomorrow.

Also, one quick thing that I thought was awesome. The minigames play out in real time, meaning that the day/night cycle and whether are still simulated, there are still people walking around you and there are people riding by outside that you can see through the windows. Non of that stuff is precanned.

Jex

McBacon said:
Anyone think there's too much Dead Eye in this game? I don't really like using it unless its a last resort. I put it on Expert aiming too, much prefer to just play gunfights straight up rather than a bunch of auto-aiming enter-the-matrix mickey-mouse bullshit.

I was fine with 'standard' Dead-Eye, but once it also got the 'lock-on' feature it got pretty annoying. I wish the enemies bullets did some more damage so I felt that I was under a bit more pressure.

Mik2121

Jexhius said:
I was fine with 'standard' Dead-Eye, but once it also got the 'lock-on' feature it got pretty annoying. I wish the enemies bullets did some more damage so I felt that I was under a bit more pressure.
Wait until Dead Eye 3.

Though I think I actually liked level 1 the best, but level 3 isn't that bad (level 2 is the worst, though).

Nelo Ice

Banned
TTG said:
There's gonna be a stranger mission behind the movie theater in Armadillo, he sends you to the game. You're only suppose to bust out one player, but you can keep playing forever. I stopped at 5k since it's getting late. Not sure if it will be there tomorrow.

Also, one quick thing that I thought was awesome. The minigames play out in real time, meaning that the day/night cycle and whether are still simulated, there are still people walking around you and there are people riding by outside that you can see through the windows. Non of that stuff is precanned.

my poker games usually last the night and into the next day :lol

R* if you guys read this, please please please put in a fun game rotation. Something like dynamite/firebottle/knives only! The MP is so much fun, but something like this could take it to legendary status!

MMaRsu

AniHawk said:
I know almost nothing about this game but I really really want to play it. It sorta looks like it has more in common with San Andreas than GTA IV. The multiplayer aspect sounds really cool too.

The game is certainly great, and from what I've played of MP that is great too.

Xater

WingM@n said:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t108/wingmannl/mobile/attachment-M39XCV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

My favorite bug in that bar was a guy standing on top of a bottle.

Dabanton

Played for 6 hours yesterday and man what a game so far.

Immersion is so good. The music the genreal feeling of everything, the controls are sublime in fact they are a little lighter than GTA:IV because of my constant playing of that game the 'weightiness' of the controls doesn't bother me.

What i love with this game is just like the cars in GTA:IV practice makes perfect and first it was a little difficult to have perfect control over your horse but now me and my War horse just stride across the land with me in full control.

Hats off for the impromptu tasks i love it riding to somewhere and suddenly and they are triggered and it's up to you whether you stop or not.

But you know the truly scary/awesome thing is if you consider that GTA:IV was basically a test run for this engine and seeing the giant improvements that RDR has made to it,what is GTA:V going to be like?

Grayman

Mik2121 said:
Wait until Dead Eye 3.

Though I think I actually liked level 1 the best, but level 3 isn't that bad (level 2 is the worst, though).
dead eye level 2 slaughtered my own horse and killed the bound bounty during a mission. I was very sad because it was the fast horse i got from a mission bonnie.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Meus Renaissance said:
What's with the anti-
Jew
comments in this game in almost every town

I guess a lot of people were that way, way back when.

Then again, I'm seeing occasional black people milling about, yet no references to racism or racist commentary in that regard thusfar.

Perhaps it's based on some well known character(s) from old westerns? I'm not big on westerns, maybe its a character reference rather than an attempt at historical authenticity.

MattyH said:
i cant get the gentlemens suit to unlock ive signed into the social club but its not unlocked

Go to the social club website from your browser and log in. Find RDR and click on it, then look for something about unlocking it. That's how I got mine. You can also unlock some cheats from the same location. :)

Truant

Loving the game. Amazing graphics and sound, superior mood and atmosphere. This really is what Gun should have been, although I loved that game, it was a little too cartoony.

Are there hunting challenges, or just sharpshooter challenges?

If so, how do I start them? I've killed rabbits, birds, and so on, but the next challenges just involve shooting peoples hats off.

MattyH

sw33tclyde said:
Go to the social club website from your browser and log in. Find RDR and click on it, then look for something about unlocking it. That's how I got mine. You can also unlock some cheats from the same location. :)

ive unlocked the cheats but they arnt showing up in game
and i cant find the section to unlock the suit

Truant

I've killed thousands of them. No hunting challenge present. I only have survivalist, treasure hunter, and sharpshooter.

If I remember, I had to kill coyotes for one of the sharpshooter challenges, like five of them without getting damaged. I passed that one, so I'm sure I killed a coyote.

Grayman

gofreak said:
I guess a lot of people were that way, way back when.

Then again, I'm seeing occasional black people milling about, yet no references to racism or racist commentary in that regard thusfar.

Perhaps it's based on some well known character(s) from old westerns? I'm not big on westerns, maybe its a character reference rather than an attempt at historical authenticity.
it may be a coincidence but the only person i've seen drug through town by bandits so far was black

Prine

Banned
From a gameplay perspective. The leap between GTA4 and RDR is of orders of magnitude better. The AI and how it generates a scenario straight out of the blue to keep you on your toes is one of greatest accomplishments i've witnessed in gaming.

R* are truly one of the gods of gaming.

Grayman

Truant said:
I've killed thousands of them. No hunting challenge present. I only have survivalist, treasure hunter, and sharpshooter.

If I remember, I had to kill coyotes for one of the sharpshooter challenges, like five of them without getting damaged. I passed that one, so I'm sure I killed a coyote.
skin things on the ground for them

bunbun777

Truant said:

But have you skinned any of them?

galdarnit

Mik2121

Grayman said:
dead eye level 2 slaughtered my own horse and killed the bound bounty during a mission. I was very sad because it was the fast horse i got from a mission bonnie.
The stallion? If so, you can get a wild one easily. They are all around New Austin and Mexico.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dabanton said:
But you know the truly scary/awesome thing is if you consider that GTA:IV was basically a test run for this engine and seeing the giant improvements that RDR has made to it,what is GTA:V going to be like?

They've used the setting here to their advantage though, in making improvements that might be hard to apply in other contexts.

E.g. whistling for your horse. So handy, so good for keeping things flowing. But how can you whistle for your car in GTA? I know you can car-jack, but it's not quite the same. You also feel like you're building a relationship with your horse, to a degree, as an animate object. I don't feel the same about cars.

'Encounters' also seem to be kind of made for the setting here. It's easy to accept all kinds of crap happening in the middle of a desert, far from civilisation...

It'll be interesting to see if Dead Eye makes its way over too...that too is excused based on the context, the fact that in Westerns characters make one-shot kills from all the way across a main street etc.

Although this isn't 'gameplay improvement' related per se, I also feel like the current technology allows them to do a lot more in terms of getting closer to an ideal implementation of the concept with RDR's setting than with GTA's. Doing cities right probably isn't possible on this generation of tech. Maybe not even next generation (!) But doing big open (and relatively unpopulated) deserts etc. is a much better fit for the tech without seeming like a compromise.

Is there a way to drag someone along once you've lassod them while you're on your horse?

Some bandits just tried to hold me up and I kind of wanted to drag the ring leader through town once I'd killed the rest. :D

Grayman

Mik2121 said:
The stallion? If so, you can get a wild one easily. They are all around New Austin and Mexico.
I forgot the name, it is the derby winning horse. I bought the ticket for one before turning off the game tonight, I did go about a whole day without it though.

Haunted

Well, I can certainly see some people getting turned off by the glitches. Then again, Fallout 3 was my GOTY 2008, so I have no problems with them. Most are of the comedic/hilarious kind anyway. :p

painey said:
dying sucks so much.. huge load times and you lose all the stuff you collected.. :(
The load times aren't that bad, imo. also, use campfire sites often. I know I do.

I like Eastern Mexico the most out of all areas so far. The red rocks and stretches of desert make for a beautiful setting.

Harry_Tequila said:
Is there a way to drag someone along once you've lassod them while you're on your horse?

Some bandits just tried to hold me up and I kind of wanted to drag the ring leader through town once I'd killed the rest. :D

Just lasso and keep the trigger depressed, now ride your horse! +1 lynch

I believe the lasso releases once they're good and dead though.

Haunted

Meus Renaissance said:
What's with the anti-
Jew
comments in this game in almost every town
I guess those stereotypes were prevalent back then? I dunno, I'm not too good with US history of the early 20th century.

But man, you should play poker with the General Store shopkeeper in Armadillo. It's just one big torrent of anti-semitic propaganda. Felt good when I removed him from the table
... permanently. :eek:

Top Bottom