• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Grayman

ah mexico. i saw the big fort from new austin really early in the game but realized that i had to unlock the boarder. when i finally get to mexico i ride up to the fort to explore it. no icons come up on radar so i just stroll in to see badges everywhere :lol

Xater

Is there a place that has some high stakes Liar's Dice? I mean I can make some good money in poker if I cheat but that takes longer I think.

Haunted

What's up with that Mo Van Barr guy (needed for the deadeye suit) - I assume he's a bounty or somesuch since it says to catch or kill him in the outfit description. I've done 7 or 8 bounties in Armadillo now, but he never showed up.

Is there a way to trigger his appearance? Anyone here already got him?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think Rockstar's at their best when they do themed era (? can't really think of a different term for it) settings. Vice City, San Andreas, and now RDR are all based on some part of history/era and I think it's part of why all of them are so good. Their atmospheres are just amazing.

GTA4's city is great and probably the closest thing to a living city we'll see this gen, but it was just missing something in the atmosphere part.

eXistor

I don't think I need to tell people how good this game is, it's obvious Grade A material, but there's one thing that's bugging the hell out of me. For every cool little detail they put in the game, how they botched NPC interaction is beyond me. Almost every time there's a random encounter or doing a Stranger's quest, they never resolve the thing, they just leave it hanging in the air. I solve the quest and that's it. Say a dude comes up to me yelling his cart got stolen. I go get it back, return the cart, the dude sometimes thanks me (sometimes nothing really triggers a response from him) and then he walks off, leaving his cart behind!

Just now some half-naked woman comes running up to me yelling she needs help. I get off my horse and she steals it. I whistle for my horse, so she gets bucked off. I hogtie her and...well nothing really. She doesn't say anything, she's just become a random npc. She doesn't call me names, she doesn't say anything. So I take her to the nearest river and drop her in and again, nothing...no reaction. It's stuff like this that I really miss.

People are gonna be doing this kind of shit all the time, the game practically wants you to and the game doesn't reward you in any way. It's not just random encounters either;

For the stranger's quest American Appetites I get the choice to either
let the cannibal eat his victim or kill him. I choose to pull my weapon on the sicko and he wants to fistfight me. So I hogtie him and cut his victim loose. The victim aimlessly walks away and I take the cannival with me and lay him on the railway. And again nothing. He doesn't talk to me at all, he's just become yet another generic npc. You can't bring him to justice by taking him to the sheriff. Shooting him won't matter to the game, letting him go probably won't do anything either. It's not like he's gonna start eating people again. Also the wife whose husband is missing is never heard from again, nor the woman whose child was supposedly eaten by him. It's all still hanging out there, never to be resolved for them.

This is the biggest problem I have with the game. The rest is pretty damn great, so really it won't affect the game too much, but it's still a pretty glaring omission imo.

painey

fucking game! I need beaver furs so I went hunting near the lakes but couldnt find any.. but i did find some bears.. I need to kill 3 with 1 shot each.. I killed 5 with 1 shot each but it only registered as 2! so I start walking away and I get rushed by a bear out of nowhere, I couldn't switch to my shotgun fast enough and he kills me.. I lose all the bear kills for the achievement, the 2 for the challenge and all the fucking skin and claws.. ARGH!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know I shouldn't be considering buying this, but god I'm tempted.

I know I'll hate myself when I'm doing my umpteenth 'follow Dude X mission', though. Please tell me the game doesn't fall back on the same old boring GTA/Bully mission tropes. I need the reassurance before I drop the money.

blanky

painey said:
fucking game! I need beaver furs so I went hunting near the lakes but couldnt find any.. but i did find some bears.. I need to kill 3 with 1 shot each.. I killed 5 with 1 shot each but it only registered as 2! so I start walking away and I get rushed by a bear out of nowhere, I couldn't switch to my shotgun fast enough and he kills me.. I lose all the bear kills for the achievement, the 2 for the challenge and all the fucking skin and claws.. ARGH!!

If you want a tip for beavers. trying going up high a bit in between aurora basin and the edge of New Austin and be prepared to spend a lot of time getting those beavers. I dont know if it's a general bug, but with me they tended to dissapear if i used a high caliber weapon on them.

@ Rez this game is undeniable Rockstar's work but it's a farcry from GTA4's mission structure and overall singleplayer in my opinion. They were all fun different and exciting to me. If you feel interested in the period of the game then you're in for a really nice full experience. There is just so much great shit to do!

@Haunted no problem! I love figuring the maps out. I dont know if it's the next one, but the map after that was even nastier in it's clues.

Haunted

blanky said:
ah yeah that one had me for a bit because Rio del Toro was written on the river, but as you know there is only one river which means Rio del Toro is a place. That should help you out enough, the 2nd clue on the map is very obvious when you get there.
aha!

Thanks for the help. It's also just vague enough that I still felt accomplished when I figured it out on my own. :lol

Aigis said:
I think Rockstar's at their best when they do themed era (? can't really think of a different term for it) settings. Vice City, San Andreas, and now RDR are all based on some part of history/era and I think it's part of why all of them are so good. Their atmospheres are just amazing.

GTA4's city is great and probably the closest thing to a living city we'll see this gen, but it was just missing something in the atmosphere part.
If the immersion and believability of the atmosphere created in Red Dead is near the level of Vice City's, then I'll be one happy cowboy. When I was playing Vice City, I was actually in Vice City. I've never really felt this with any other GTA.

Can't get the game until next week, but I thought I'd throw some questions around in here :D

Firstly, are there a lot of towns scattered around the land, or maybe just 2 or 3 main ones and the rest is wilderness? And in the towns how much of the buildings have interiors? And second, can you shoot and lasso while riding on horseback, like the equivalent of drive-bying in IV?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Rez said:
I know I'll hate myself when I'm doing my umpteenth 'follow Dude X mission', though. Please tell me the game doesn't fall back on the same old boring GTA/Bully mission tropes. I need the reassurance before I drop the money.

Ehh. it kinda does.

Xater

blanky said:
If you want a tip for beavers. trying going up high a bit in between aurora basin and the edge of New Austin and be prepared to spend a lot of time getting those beavers. I dont know if it's a general bug, but with me they tended to dissapear if i used a high caliber weapon on them.

I think it's intended that way that small animals can get blasted into bits. Same thing happened to me with rabbits and armadillos.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Rez said:

I haven't gotten too far in the game but the game doesn't have a lot of those. Though there is a lot of "kill these dudes" missions. And there's a lot of dudes in said missions. However, the shooting is really fun on expert so it's not a big deal.

blanky

Xater said:
I think it's intended that way that small animals can get blasted into bits. Same thing happened to me with rabbits and armadillos.

oh yeah that makes a lot more sense than it being a bug. damn, still they could put in an exploding animation instead of it just disappearing.

Coming from someone who really didn't like GTAIV (and probably all the 3D ones bar III) I really like this game. It has to be the setting and characters, they are much more interesting than something in GTA. Like WW shooters, GTAs have become a dull and stale affair. This game just has a great atmosphere and world about it. I thoroughly enjoy the story and character advancement. John is so much more a likable and more relatable character than Niko etc.

The game world looks beautiful and riding around it is a pleasure. Controls are a little bit odd and could have done with being evolved from GTAs but overall they work adaquetly. Not minding having to use L2/R2 to shoot though again would have been nice to be able to change them.

There seems so much to do. I've played about 7 hours and haven't really done many of the main missions at all. Done the Marshall one and about 3/4 of Bonnies. I'm spending a lot of time doing the side missions and what not. They are so distracting. But as I said I love the main story and so far they have always been great to watch and take part in.

Bought a few properties and played a few games of Poker, which I don't really know how to play but I'm learning fast. Five Finger Fillet is quite hard to master. Unlocked a few outfits and done a few duels (after I got caught cheating in Poker lol). Took done some Wanteds though now I have the lasso I'm guessing I can capture these criminals and bring them to justice. Also got drunk in the bar and was funny to see John just calapse on the floor.

There's lots of details and things that have suprised me. Like someone who got off his horse in the middle of nowhere and went for a leak... where I shot him... but someone caught me so I had a posse after me. Then someone asked for a ride on my horse before pulling me off and taking off with it. These always end in someone dying. :D

So yeah great so far... except the odd time it's just frooze on me.

So what shops sell bait? I've gotten two from looting guys, but I can't find any to purchase in the first 3 shops you have access to and the shop in the Mexican town I'm in now seems to be just for show. There's a shop icon on the map for it, but no one to puchase from (the town on the very left of the map).

ThirstyFly said:
So what shops sell bait? I've gotten two from looting guys, but I can't find any to purchase in the first 3 shops you have access to and the shop in the Mexican town I'm in now seems to be just for show. There's a shop icon on the map for it, but no one to puchase from (the town on the very left of the map).

I believe there's one in Thieves Landing who sell bait.

BTW is there a way to skip the skin animal cutscene? I really don't need to see that every time. One annoyance about the game. On the very rare occassion it won't show it and just skin the animal on the fly so to speak.

Dabanton

Haunted said:
What's up with that Mo Van Barr guy (needed for the deadeye suit) - I assume he's a bounty or somesuch since it says to catch or kill him in the outfit description. I've done 7 or 8 bounties in Armadillo now, but he never showed up.

Is there a way to trigger his appearance? Anyone here already got him?

I got him on my second bounty.

Shot him in both knees with a rifle.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do you seriously have to walk back after helping the guy on the farm? I'm not liking this game now...

What happened to your horse? can't you just whistle for it?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do you seriously have to walk back after helping the guy on the farm? I'm not liking this game now...

...What? Press up on the Dpad or bust out a campfire and fast travel.

KAP151

Katana_Strikes said:
I believe there's one in Thieves Landing who sell bait.

BTW is there a way to skip the skin animal cutscene? I really don't need to see that every time. One annoyance about the game. On the very rare occassion it won't show it and just skin the animal on the fly so to speak.

Just get your horse over/close enough to whatever you want to skin or loot and you will bypass it.

This game is confusing, I saved a guy from wolves and I get honor +100. Then I leave to move on and I get honor -50... The guy already ran away so I have no idea what I messed up.

Haunted

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
This game is confusing, I saved a guy from wolves and I get honor +100. Then I leave to move on and I get honor -50... The guy already ran away so I have no idea what I messed up.
+100 for saving the guy, -50 for depraving those wolves of a fine meal!

Haunted

Dabanton said:
I got him on my second bounty.

Shot him in both knees with a rifle.
Hm, I hope these are generated from a limited pool, I don't want to hang around Armadillo forever waiting for that one guy to show up! :p

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

There are some odd glitches/bugs from time to time. They come packaged with open world games, sadly. I had a town full of people and cougars, snakes and wolves all walking in the same area completely ignoring each other and myself earlier.

And when I shot a snake? All the townspeople ran away thinking I was el diablo or someshit

Tiagomnh said:
I'm curious, how do the horses in this game compare to Agro?

Best horse animations I've ever seen. Controls are a bit wonky at first, but once you learn the ropes, it's pretty smooth.

KAP151

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Honor pretty much becomes redundant soon enough.

Loving the hell out of this game. Atmosphere is perfect. Story is alright so far, nothing spectacular, but serviceable. Gameplay is great. Multiplayer is really fun. I love my horse and I will defend it from any fucking cougar out there. Definitely a lot better than GTA4. They really did a great job crafting the world. Back to it.

edit: although the ambient music when just riding around is a bit too sparse. But I got around that by playing the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford soundtrack. Fits the game wonderfully. I do turn off when going about missions. Those do offer some good music.
The song that plays after arriving in Mexico was unexpected but worked really really well.

blanky

Haunted said:
Hm, I hope these are generated from a limited pool, I don't want to hang around Armadillo forever waiting for that one guy to show up! :p

It should be because the statistics on Social Club show a 0 out of
bounties completed.

Haunted

Rez said:

To be honest, they kinda are.

That said, the focus of my play isn't even on the main missions (which it is usually) because I'm having so much goddamn fun doing the peripheral stuff (Hunter challenges, side missions, soaking in the atmosphere, handling the random encounters). I'm only doing the Mexico mission at the moment because I want to open up the whole map to play in.

That's not to say the main missions are bad or anything; they're as good as any I've seen in the main GTA series. It's just that the other stuff is so fucking good you want to spend every single minute doing it. :D

Marvie_3

Banned
Played free roam for hours with a friend of mine tonight.

Decided to go bear hunting with knives and dynamite up west of Blackwater. Knives were a spectacular failure but the dynamite worked like a charm. :lol

Then we went and started gunning down everyone who rode by on this stretch of road. After about 10 minutes the entire stretch of road was littered with bodies and dead horses. I used a throwing knife to kill a horse from under one guy. Then as he was getting up I threw a stick of dynamite at him and hit him in the nuts. He fell over and as he hit the ground the dynamite exploded and blasted him way off the road. :lol

I fucking love this game.

Haunted

blanky said:
It should be because the statistics on Social Club show a 0 out of
bounties completed.
Ah, interesting. Where can I look at those? I only see the number of bounties I've caught on the ingame stats page (8, 4 dead and 4 alive), but not out of how many.

I just posted these opinions in another thread, but thought that they probably belonged here.

I'm all for games with heaps and heaps of narrative, but it's when games bombard you with hours and hours of expositionary cut-scenes I get frustrated. With RDR, I'm splitting my time between riding around (A LOT) and watching people talk to me (A LOT). I've been playing it for 7 hours, and I reckon close to 3 hours of that has either been cut-scene, or riding somewhere a long way away during a mission that serves no purpose other than for me to hear the expositionary and character-building dialogue served along the way. It's all quite well written, and it's sometimes funny, sometimes not, but the way the narrative is delivered is so blunt, so un-subtle. There's no room for interactivity within it, and that makes it feel quite old-fashioned. The gameplay has, in RDR's case, been sacrificed for story - NOT narrative, just cut-scene driven story, and characters that are far less charming than I think they're meant to be. (A lot of the script also feels like it's been created by a writer in love with their own writing, frankly; a writer who desperately needs an editor.)

To sum up: I'm a bit bored.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Haunted said:
To be honest, they kinda are.

That said, the focus of my play isn't even on the main missions (which it is usually) because I'm having so much goddamn fun doing the peripheral stuff (Hunter challenges, side missions, soaking in the atmosphere, handling the random encounters). I'm only doing the Mexico mission at the moment because I want to open up the whole map to play in.

That's not to say the main missions are bad or anything; they're as good as any I've seen in the main GTA series. It's just that the other stuff is so fucking good you want to spend every single minute doing it. :D
So I think the missions are better than standard GTA fare--I mean riding alongside a train on horseback while firing with a gang is awesomesauce and reminds me of San Andreas--but the narrative thrust of the story is shot to hell. Once again the GTA formula of doing random garbage for crap NPCs where you distinctly help every side against the middle takes hold. The one difference I would say is that the mid-game refresh of characters brings some stronger characters, much stronger than anything in GTA4. But still, it's like, Rockstar seems to hate writing normal people. Which is a shame, because they are really good at it. Would anyone argue that Bonnie and John have a very real, very believable, very honest relationship? Why does Seth even need to be in this game? Fucking shit character.

owlbeak

Man is it tough reading these forums knowing that I have the game but the single player will not work due to an infinite loading screen glitch. :( :( :(

I hate all of you!

Haunted

whatevermort said:
I just posted these opinions in another thread, but thought that they probably belonged here.

I'm all for games with heaps and heaps of narrative, but it's when games bombard you with hours and hours of expositionary cut-scenes I get frustrated. With RDR, I'm splitting my time between riding around (A LOT) and watching people talk to me (A LOT). I've been playing it for 7 hours, and I reckon close to 3 hours of that has either been cut-scene, or riding somewhere a long way away during a mission that serves no purpose other than for me to hear the expositionary and character-building dialogue served along the way. It's all quite well written, and it's sometimes funny, sometimes not, but the way the narrative is delivered is so blunt, so un-subtle. There's no room for interactivity within it, and that makes it feel quite old-fashioned. The gameplay has, in RDR's case, been sacrificed for story - NOT narrative, just cut-scene driven story, and characters that are far less charming than I think they're meant to be. (A lot of the script also feels like it's been created by a writer in love with their own writing, frankly; a writer who desperately needs an editor.)

To sum up: I'm a bit bored.
Stop doing main missions for a while and do challenges instead, or just ride around and take part in the random encounters that are going on all around you. My ratio is like 10:1 peripheral stuff (which means no cutscenes) and main missions. Much easier to take a long cutscene in every now and then when you wisely balance it out.

If you just want to get through the story as quickly as possible and follow the story markers... well, don't be surprised if you get a lot of story served. :p

Haunted

Y2Kev said:
So I think the missions are better than standard GTA fare--I mean riding alongside a train on horseback while firing with a gang is awesomesauce and reminds me of San Andreas--but the narrative thrust of the story is shot to hell. Once again the GTA formula of doing random garbage for crap NPCs where you distinctly help every side against the middle takes hold. The one difference I would say is that the mid-game refresh of characters brings some stronger characters, much stronger than anything in GTA4. But still, it's like, Rockstar seems to hate writing normal people. Which is a shame, because they are really good at it. Would anyone argue that Bonnie and John have a very real, very believable, very honest relationship? Why does Seth even need to be in this game? Fucking shit character.
Yeah, I don't really know what they were thinking with Gollum.

Also, it appears that every other person in the Wild West was either a lunatic or a cannibal. So many crazy, larger-than-life characters in this game. :lol

Top Bottom