• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Revolver appreciation thread!

jett

D-Member
I don't see enough luv for this game on this forum, shame on you, you bastards. This game is great, I bought it solely because of the western atmosphere(they don't make too much of these games, you see...), and I was surprised at how good it is. I'm never trusting reviewers ever again, fuckers even slammed the graphics. RDR looks friggin' great, I'd say. Just awesome style, very Leone-ish. The soundtrack is something else too. Whoever decided to use music from real westerns is a genius.

Great use of dialogue too, it's a Rockstar game after all. I like how General Diego shouts "SAY HELLO TO MY LIL' FRIEND!". That had me laughing. :p

I hope there's a sequel in the making. :D

Iceman

I really dig this game... rented it a while back and have simply forgotten to purchase it yet.

The first half of this game is pure gold. I got stuck at the part with the exploding giant who runs like carl lewis... so i'm sure the dueling part gets more interesting (it's waaaay too easy early on).

8bit

Knows the Score
It is a really good game, but the Buffalo Soldier mission killed it for me. I haven't gone back to it after failing that one too many times.

Flynn

jett said:
I don't see enough luv for this game on this forum, shame on you, you bastards. This game is great, I bought it solely because of the western atmosphere(they don't make too much of these games, you see...), and I was surprised at how good it is. I'm never trusting reviewers ever again, fuckers even slammed the graphics. RDR looks friggin' great, I'd say. Just awesome style, very Leone-ish. The soundtrack is something else too. Whoever decided to use music from real westerns is a genius.

Great use of dialogue too, it's a Rockstar game after all. I like how General Diego shouts "SAY HELLO TO MY LIL' FRIEND!". That had me laughing. :p

I hope there's a sequel in the making. :D

I liked the game, but found the Scarface quote trite and the superhuman bosses a little over-the-top for a Spaghetti Western-inspired game.

Would have rather they stuck to their guns and made a straight-up game version of a classic western.

Still the music -- all Italian western themes from the '60s goes a long way in making the game memorable.

I sorta wished the dialogue had the same spark as the source material as well, found it a little flat compared to killer lines that Tuco Ramirez (The Ugly) delivers.

Here is a review I wrote of the game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, really cool game. I love the Western genre, so I knew I was going to like it just because of that. But RDR actually takes it one step further and adds awesome atmosphere and fantastic music. It still feels like the game could've used some polish and more thought put into it. Here's hoping for a possible sequel to fully realize RDR.

White Man

Awesome game up until the Saloon fight. I never made it past that level. I hate it so much. <frown> So good up until that point, too.

robot

Awesome game, glad I played through it. I love how the screen jumps/controller jolts when u kill someone, a great idea id like to see in other games. Just felt really cool when u picked someone off with a rifle from really far away.

This was taken from my post back in July (when i bought it):

They nailed the whole Wild West theme from the music, grainy effects to deuling with the occasional bounty. Playing as different characters mixes up the potential repetitiveness (is that even a word) and you can even ride bulls! I saw some mediocre reviews and never read any impressions on here, but if anyone is even slightly interested in a fun tps or has a hankerin for some cowboy antics, it's definetly worth a rent (or buy if you can git it cheap). Yeehaw!

I loved RDR and was really surprised at the reviews it got after I had finished it. IIRC, it was rated somewhere in the 70s and I thought it was more of a 90s game. One of the best games this generation IMO. Just about everything about it is done right and I can't think of any real bad things to say about it except for the lack of netplay or co-op.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been waiting for this to hit $20 since it released, last I took notice it was at $30...soon.

Top Bottom