• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Marks on papers too harsh for students.. use purple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
We are growing up a bunch of pansy kids! Whats next? check miss is evil??

http://www.boston.com/news/educatio..._red_marks_has_students_seeing_purple?mode=PF

"The concept of purple as a replacement for red is a pretty good idea," said Leatrice Eiseman, director of the Pantone Color Institute in Carlstadt, N.J., and author of five books on color. "You soften the blow of red. Red is a bit over-the-top in its aggression."

For office supply stores, color and fashion trends spell opportunity and risk. The trends allow them to freshen up staid old categories such as pens and markers, fueling sales. But getting a trend wrong -- betting on purple pens when teachers and students are buying green, for example -- can cost them sales during a critical retail period.

Red's legacy as the color used in correcting papers and marking mistakes goes back to the 1700s, the era of the quill pen. In those days, red ink was used by clerks and accountants to correct ledgers. From there, it found its way into teachers' hands.

But two or three decades ago, an anti-red sentiment began surfacing among teachers. Since then, no one color had emerged as red's replacement.

Is purple here to stay?

"I do not use red," said Robin Slipakoff, who teaches second and third grades at Mirror Lake Elementary School in Plantation, Fla. "Red has a negative connotation, and we want to promote self-confidence. I like purple. I use purple a lot."

this is the funniest thing i've ever heard. This is like playing sport where everyones a winner or the japanese amateur soccer league where u can get more points for being best dressed than winning

shoplifter

MrPing1000 said:
this is the funniest thing i've ever heard. This is like playing sport where everyones a winner or the japanese amateur soccer league where u can get more points for being best dressed than winning

Thank you for reminding me of this.

OmniGamer

Oh come the fuck on! What next "Purple too gay...turns kids into limp-wristed illterates". It's just a goddamn color...it draws attention to the fact that your dumbass didn't pay attention and/or study enough.

Oh no...."Failed" is too harsh...we want to promote self-confidence, let's call it a "Scholastic Encore" instead.

*Breaks something*

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
God bless fundamental schools and all that they entail. Is the education system deliberately trying to neuter the next generation?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I heard this today at work and got angry. Red marks are the only way to go.

Oh, also, my school district never used Fs. We were on an A, B, C, D, E scale.

Phoenix

For freaks sake.... better to get your feelings hurt seing red now and get your crap together than seeing the slighly lighter red of a pink slip later. You got it wrong, you should feed bad. I just want to slap these people sometimes... actually most of the time.

Loki

Count of Concision
Our prevailing-- and largely counterproductive-- social emphasis on "feelings", "sensitivity", and leveling out society in any way possible so as not to offend the sensibilities of insensible people (of which the move proposed by this article is but one manifestation) reminded me of a passage from C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters". In it, a high-ranking assistant to Satan ("Screwtape") is instructing a lesser demon ("Wormwood") on how to use the human psyche to undo the human race and human society. Ignore the religious overtones and references and instead focus on the message, which I believe is relevant to our present circumstance in many ways:

...Democracy is the word in which you must lead them by the nose. The good work in which our philological experts have already done in the corruption of human language makes it unnecessary to warn you that they should never be allowed to give this word a clear and definable meaning. They won't. It will never occur to them that democracy is properly the name of a political system, even a system of voting, and that this has only the most remote and tenuous connection with what you are trying to sell them. Nor of course must they ever be allowed to raise Aristotle's question: whether "democratic behavior" means the behavior that democracies like or the behavior that will preserve a democracy. For if they did, it could hardly fail to occur to them that these need not be the same.

You are to use the word purely as an incantation; if you like, purely for its selling power. It is a name they venerate. And of course is connected with the political idea that men should be equally treated. You then make a stealthy transition in their minds from this political idea to a factual belief that all mean ARE equal. As a result you then can use the name democracy to sanction in all thought the most degrading (and also the least enjoyable) of all human feelings. You can get him to practice, not only without shame but with a positive glow of self-approval, conduct which, if undefended by the magic word, would be universally derided.

The feeling I mean of course is that which prompts a man to say I'm as good as you! The first and most obvious advantage is that you thus induce him to enthrone at the center of his life a good solid, resounding lie. I don't mean merely that his statement is false in fact, that he is no more equal to everyone he meets in kindness, honesty, and good sense than in height or waste measurement. I mean that he does not believe it himself. No man who says I'm as good as you believes it. He would not say it if he did. The St. Bernard never says it to the toy dog, nor the scholar to the dunce, nor the employable to the bum, nor the pretty to the plain. The claim to equality, outside the political field, is made only by those who feel themselves to be in some way inferior. What it expresses is precisely the itching, smarting, withering awareness of an inferiority which the mark refuses to except, and therefore resents.

Therefore they will resent every kind of superiority in others, denigrates it; wishes its annihilation. Presently he will suspect every mere difference of being a claim to superiority. No one must be different from himself in voice, clothes, manners, recreations, choices of food: Here is someone who speaks English rather more clearly than I-it must be a vile, upstage, la-di-da affection. Here's a fellow who doesn't like hot dogs-thinks himself to good for them, no doubt. Here's a man who doesn't listen to music-he's one of those goddamn highbrows and is doing it to show off. If they were honest-to God all-right Joes they'd be like me! They have no business to be different. It's undemocratic!

Now, this useful phenomenon is in itself is by no means new. Under the name of envy it has been known to humans for thousands of years. But hitherto they always regarded it as the most odious, and also the most comical, of vices. Those who were aware of feeling it felt it with shame, those who were not gave it no quarter in others. The delightful novelty of the present situation is that you can sanction it-make it respectable and even laudable-by the incantatory use of the word democratic.

Under the influence of this incantation those who are in any or every way inferior can labor more wholeheartedly and successfully than ever before to pull down everyone else to their own level. But that is not all. Under the same influence, those who come, or could come, nearer to full humanity, actually draw back from it for fear of being undemocratic. I am creditably informed that young humans now sometimes suppress an incipient taste for classical music or good literature because it might prevent their Being Like Folks; that people who would really wish to be-and are offered the Grace which would enable them to be-honest, chaste, or temperate refuse it. To accept might make them different, might offend against the way of life, take them out of togetherness, impair their integration with the Group. They might HORROR of HORRORS become Individuals!

Meanwhile, as a delightful by-product, the few who will not be made Normal and Regular and Like Folks and Integrated increasingly tend to become in reality the prigs and cranks which they were believed to be. For suspicion often creates what it suspects. But this really is a mere by-product. What I want to fix your attention on is the vast, overall movement towards the discrediting and finally the elimination, of every kind of human excellence-moral, cultural, social or intellectual. And is it not pretty to notice how the word "democracy" is now doing for us the work that was once done by dictatorships. You remember how one of the Greek dictators sent an envoy to another dictator to ask his advise about the principles of government. This dictator lead the envoy into a field of grain, and there he cut off with his cane the top of every stalk that rose an inch or so above the general level. The moral was plain. Allow no preeminence among your subjects. Let no man live who is wiser or better or more famous or even handsomer that the rest. Cut them all down to a level: all slaves, all ciphers, all nobodies. All EQUALS! Thus tyrants practiced in a sense democracy. But now "democracy" can do the same without any tyranny other than her own. No one need go through the field with a cane. The little stalks will now of themselves bite the tops off the big ones. The big ones are beginning to bite off their own in their desire to Be Like Stalks. I have said that to secure the damnation of the human souls, these creatures that have almost ceased to be individual, is a laborious and tricky work. But if proper pains and skill are expended, you ca be fairly confident of the result.

In this promising time of the spirit of I am as Good as You it has already become more than just a generally social influence. It has become to work itself in their educational system. How far its operations there have gone a the present moment, I should not like to say with certainty. Nor does it matter. Once you have grasped the tendency, you can easily predict its future developments; as especially as we ourselves will play a part in the developing. The basic principle of the new education is to be that those who will not or cannot apply themselves must not be made to feel inferior to intelligent and industrious pupils. For that would be "undemocratic." these differences between the pupils-for there are obliviously and nakedly individual differences-must be disguised. This can be done on various levels. At universities, examinations must be framed so that nearly all its students get good marks. Entrance examinations must be framed so that all, or nearly all, citizens can go to universities, whether they have any power or wish to profit by higher education or not. At schools, the children who are to lazy to learn languages and mathematics and elementary science can be set to doing the things that children use to do in their spare time. Let them, for example, make mud pies and call it modeling. But all the time there must be no faintest hint that they might be inferior to the children who are hard at work. Whatever nonsense that they are engaged in, it must have-a parity of esteem. An even more drastic scheme is not impossible. Children who are fit to proceed to higher tasks may be artificially kept back, because the others would be traumatized by being left behind. The brightest pupils thus remain democratically fettered to his own age group throughout their school career and those who would be capable of tackling Aeschylus or Dante sits listening to his coeval's attempts to spell out A CAT SAT ON A MAT!

In a word, we may reasonably hope for the virtual abolition of education when I am as good as you has fully had its way. All incentives to learn and all penalties for not learning will vanish. The few who might want to learn will be prevented; who are they to overtop their fellows? And anyway the teachers-or should I say nurse?-will be far to busy reassuring the unmotivated and patting them on the back to waste time on real teaching. We shall no longer have to plan and toil to spread imperturbable conceit and incurable ignorance among mankind. They shall do it for us! ...how delicious!

Of course, this would not follow unless all education became state education. But it will. That is part of the same movement. Taxes of all kinds, are designed for that purpose, they are liquidating the Middle Class, the class who were prepared to save and spend and make sacrifices in order to have their children properly taught. The removal of this class primarily by over taxation, besides the linking up with the abolition of education, is, fortunately, an inevitable effect of the spirit that says I am as Good as You. This was after all, the social group which gave to the humans the overwhelming majority of their scientists, physicians, philosophers, theologians, poets, artists, composers, architects, and administrators. If there ever was a bunch of tall stalks that needed their tops knocked off, it was surely them. As prominent politician once said "A democracy does not want great men."

We, in hell, would welcome the disappearance of democracy in the strict sense of the word, the political arrangement so called. Like all forms of government, it often works to our advantage, but on the whole less often than other forms. And what we must realize is that "democracy" in the diabolical sense of the word (I am as good as you, Being like folks, Togetherness) is the finest instrument we could possibly have for extirpating political democracies from the face of the earth. For "democracy" in the diabolical sense (I am as good as you, Being like folks, Togetherness) leads to a nation without great men, a nation mainly of sub literates, full of cocksureness which flattery breeds on ignorance, and quick to snarl or whimper at the first hint of criticism. For when such a nation meets another where their children have been made to work at school, where talent is placed in high post and the unmotivated are allowed no say at all in public affairs, only one result is possible. What a delirious specimen of human blindness! If the whole tendency of their society is opposed to every sort of excellence, how does that society expect to excel?

It is our function to encourage this behavior, the manners, the whole attitude of the mind, which democracies naturally like and enjoy, because these are the very things if unchecked, will destroy all democracies! Encourage in your own minds that delusion which you must carefully foster in the minds of your human victims. I mean of course that the fate of nations is in itself more important than that of the individual soul. For the ultimate value for us, of any war, revolution, or famine lies in the individual anguish, treachery, hatred, rage, and despair which it may produce. I am as good as you is a useful means for the destruction of all democratic societies. But it has a far deeper value as an end in itself, as a state of mind which, necessarily excluding humility, charity, contentment, and all the pleasures of gratitude or admiration, turns human beings away from almost every road which finally leads them to peace or success.

(Sorry for the typos-- I didn't have the time to correct them all; they were present in the original, which was copied & pasted from a website)

What's most striking imo is that this was written well over 50 years ago. Interesting. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Loki said:
Our prevailing-- and largely counterproductive-- social emphasis on "feelings", "sensitivity", and leveling out society in any way possible so as not to offend the sensibilities of insensible people (of which the move proposed by this article is but one manifestation) reminded me of a passage from C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters". In it, a high-ranking assistant to Satan ("Screwtape") is instructing a lesser demon ("Wormwood") on how to use the human psyche to undo the human race and human society. Ignore the religious overtones and references and instead focus on the message, which I believe is relevant to our present circumstance in many ways:

[removed large quote]

(Sorry for the typos-- I didn't have the time to correct them all)

What's most striking imo is that this was written well over 50 years ago. Interesting.
What's scary is that most everything said in there is extremely evident today.

At schools, the children who are to lazy to learn languages and mathematics and elementary science can be set to doing the things that children use to do in their spare time. Let them, for example, make mud pies and call it modeling. But all the time there must be no faintest hint that they might be inferior to the children who are hard at work. Whatever nonsense that they are engaged in, it must have-a parity of esteem. An even more drastic scheme is not impossible. Children who are fit to proceed to higher tasks may be artificially kept back, because the others would be traumatized by being left behind. The brightest pupils thus remain democratically fettered to his own age group throughout their school career and those who would be capable of tackling Aeschylus or Dante sits listening to his coeval's attempts to spell out A CAT SAT ON A MAT!
This is growing close to being an institutionalized rule in public schools. My high school had a variety of different levels of classes: paced, regular, honors, AP, etc. Of course, most of it has been negated by the concept that public education is a consumer-oriented business. Residents all pay property taxes that fund the schools, that fund the classes and pay the administration's salaries. This entitles parents to believe they can then determine what their kids do in school and the administration has a difficult time arguing against such a notion for many of the reasons mentioned in the passage provided by Loki. They take that and then have managed to argue that they can override class recommendations and get their kids into more advanced classes that they didn't test into (or more accurately perform well enough in the previous year's course). To stand firm against this is to appear undemocratic, and with the skewed views people now hold, all of those political concepts have run together and formed some crazy system where everyone is not only created equal, but must continue to be equal in all respects. And of course, as a consequence, the teachers end up spending time on those students who shouldn't be in the class, at the expense of the education for those who excel.

[/end rant]

Red has a negative connotation? Well, so will purple if they start using that. My teachers corrected my tests with red, good AND bad. ie a red checkmark for correct, a red X for wrong.

More teachers should be like my grade 5 teacher. When one student got a 9 out of 100 in English, he wrote in the comment section, "Keep up the good work" :)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I just like to point out that my teacher also marked my stuff with red pen for both good and bad marks.

OmniGamer

NetMapel said:
I just like to point out that my teacher also marked my stuff with red pen for both good and bad marks.

Ditto....though my Elementary School also used a "U"(Unsatisfactory) for the lowest mark, and F's(Fair) were basically D's.

NetMapel

OmniGamer said:
Ditto....though my Elementary School also used a "U"(Unsatisfactory) for the lowest mark, and F's(Fair) were basically D's.
Reminds me of Hogwarts' style of marking ;)

Brannon

Okay, so they ban Dodgeball THE SPORT OF KINGS.

They instate a stupidly stupid zero tolerance policy.

They pussify recess in general.

Other letters are used in place of the almighty 'F' (in the US)

And now they don't want to use red ink because "it's too negative"?

Congratulations America!

no not really but apparently only good things can be said OR ELSE FEELINGS AND EMO OH NO

DJ Brannon said:
Okay, so they ban Dodgeball THE SPORT OF KINGS.

They instate a stupidly stupid zero tolerance policy.

They pussify recess in general.

Other letters are used in place of the almighty 'F' (in the US)

no not really but apparently only good things can be said OR ELSE FEELINGS AND EMO OH NO

Ever since I became a teacher my life has been going downhill. Around Feb. 2004, I was callled in by the principal regarding the school's grading policy. Supposedly she said I violated school's policy for giving out one to many F's. When a school receives too many F's it reflects poorly on the principal not the student (to a certain extent). Regarding Dodgeball, I was threatened with a law suit by a parent for forcing their son to play a sport " he wasn't good it." LOL..I love this job though
2ch_rotate.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, how about we stop marking off incorrect answers all together. We don't want our students to feel bad, so regardless of the answers given, we'll pretend they got everything right so they don't have a bad day. Then they can go outside and play solo tag, cause we want them to learn the values of physical activity but we can't allow them to touch each other. And then when they inevitably fail we'll replace their grades with other letters so they feel positive about themselves and their schooling. And then we'll move them along to the next grade regardless of what happens so they don't feel uncomfortable or stupid about being held back.

The new education system RULES!

What is happening to this country?

tenchir

Phoenix said:
Whoa whoa whoa... when the hell did this happen?!? Urge to kill rising....

Was dodgeball part of the curicular in junior high/high school physical education? I never played it when I was in school. I know for sure that my nephew elementary school doesn't allow you to play dodgeball and tag anymore because of the possibility of injuries.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Behold, the sissyfacation of America. Soon there will be no wrong answers, merely new takes on once seemingly proven methods.

Riskbreaker said:
Ever since I became a teacher my life has been going downhill. Around Feb. 2004, I was callled in by the principal regarding the school's grading policy. Supposedly she said I violated school's policy for giving out one to many F's. When a school receives too many F's it reflects poorly on the principal not the student (to a certain extent). Regarding Dodgeball, I was threatened with a law suit by a parent for forcing their son to play a sport " he wasn't good it." LOL..I love this job though
2ch_rotate.gif

I have a friend who just became a teacher and she's ready to quit. Why? Parents, who are starting to get out of hand with their inability to concede to the possibility that their little angels might not be the brightest or the strongest, and their over-willingness to slap lawsuits.

belgurdo

Banned
Riskbreaker said:
2ch_rotate.gif

Christ. And my folks wanted me to try and become a teacher once I got my degree... :\

Brannon

By ban, I don't mean that it was a part of the curriculum, but that they just outright outlawed any playing or version of the game in many schools because of the possibility of injury and lawsuit.

belgurdo said:
Christ. And my folks wanted me to try and become a teacher once I got my degree... :\

Actually Belgurdo, I would highly recommend teaching as a profession. Dealing with parent conferences can be a pain sometimes but teaching is damn fun. However, veteran teachers generally look down on younger teachers (i'm 23 years old) for some unknown reasons at my school. I had this one incident where a colleague of mine didn't want to share his lesson plans, materials, or even speak to me since I was a new teacher and I "had to prove myself."

FortNinety said:
I have a friend who just became a teacher and she's ready to quit. Why? Parents, who are starting to get out of hand with their inability to concede to the possibility that their little angels might not be the brightest or the strongest, and their over-willingness to slap lawsuits.

Do your friend teach AP or excel classes? Parents tend to be a pain at higher end courses.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
tenchir said:
Was dodgeball part of the curicular in junior high/high school physical education? I never played it when I was in school. I know for sure that my nephew elementary school doesn't allow you to play dodgeball and tag anymore because of the possibility of injuries.
I played dodgeball in gym class for years and years. It was a slight variation though, using balls made of yarn. Still, we throwing stuff at each other. We played this from 1st to 8th grade really, and then some real dodgeball in 9th. Then it was mysteriously banned, although some of our gym teachers still let us do it. Was it part of the official curriculum? I have no idea, but we played it often and it was by far students' favorite thing to do in gym class, and pretty damned intense.

I don't really understand the whole movement to prevent any possible injuries. What are they going to do when these kids join school sports? People get hurt, let them get used to it. When I was in elementary school I'd injure myself one way or another during recess at least once a week. I was in the nurse's office so often she could remember and pronounce my last name, and it's a tricky one. I'm certainly not some deformed person now just because I got a little black and blue back then. It just gives me fond memories.

Riskbreaker said:
Do your friend teach AP or excel classes? Parents tend to be a pain at higher end courses.
I don't think you're implying otherwise, but parents still shouldn't have as much ability to destroy those classes by disrupting them with their own child's needs. Of course, I know people and parents who would argue the opposite, but then, they use the same arguments that CS Lewis pointed out above as being so poisonous to society.

I have two close friends who are studying to be teachers, and I just don't know if I could do that. In my 13 years of public education I saw so much change. All decision making powers shifted from the administration to parents, and it was ruining so much of the educational opportunities for those who actually wanted them.

Unfortunately, it's not even like education is the only problem here. Parents are babying their kids in all regards and stepping in to try and protect them. Middle American parents will largely do everything in their power to protect their kids from the law, even when blatantly broken. I know parents who befriend judges just to get charges dropped.

They have this misguided belief that they can give their kids as much freedom, opportunity and experience as possible but without any of the responsibility, and that doing so will somehow produce a well-rounded adult that contributes to society. They're just missing the point. If anything, responsibility, and along with it discipline, is one of the biggest things that should be instilled in a youth (within some reason) but no one sees that. It's all about letting kids off the hook for everything from failed grades to having an underage house party raided by cops and being found with kegs and pot. Kids should be helped in the right direction and whatnot, but this whole garbage with parents and others stepping in to do it all for them and produce outcomes that the kids didn't earn or deserve is just counterproductive.

nubbe

So purple is immune to the association with failure?
Purple is already associated with failure! Just look at Gamecube

Dan said:
Unfortunately, it's not even like education is the only problem here. Parents are babying their kids in all regards and stepping in to try and protect them. Middle American parents will largely do everything in their power to protect their kids from the law, even when blatantly broken. I know parents who befriend judges just to get charges dropped.

They have this misguided belief that they can give their kids as much freedom, opportunity and experience as possible but without any of the responsibility, and that doing so will somehow produce a well-rounded adult that contributes to society. They're just missing the point. If anything, responsibility, and along with it discipline, is one of the biggest things that should be instilled in a youth (within some reason) but no one sees that. It's all about letting kids off the hook for everything from failed grades to having an underage house party raided by cops and being found with kegs and pot. Kids should be helped in the right direction and whatnot, but this whole garbage with parents and others stepping in to do it all for them and produce outcomes that the kids didn't earn or deserve is just counterproductive.

Well said. I think one of the best things my parents ever did was, once when I was just four years old and they found out I had stolen a pack of gum from a store after a long hard day's walk, we immediately went back to the store and had me hand it back over.

Today, parents are way too forgiving when it comes letting their kids run loose without any regard to consequences. Either the parents are far too coddling or they instill a "well, the other party deserve to get shafted" attitute, which is beyond fucked up.

Pimpwerx

I use a lot of red ink on my kids' papers. I went through 3 or 4 red pens last year. PRetty much one per quarter. And I don't think I do that much grading. If I wanted to baby the kids, I'd buy them gold stars. They're in high school, they shouldn't expect handouts and backrubs. Purple ink? The stupidest fucking thing I've heard. Red has a negative connotation b/c it's the color used. If they switch to purple, after 50 years, that will be hated too. Jesus Christ...these are fucking teachers saying shit like this. *bangs head on wall*

I'm pretty embarassed for my profession sometimes, b/c there are a lot of clueless people teaching. I'm not Mr. Holland's Opus or anything, but I can teach Math pretty damn good. There are a lot of problems with education, and many of them stem from money. All the best teachers are in the private sector. Yup, all the smart people take real jobs that pay real money. So it's pretty much the leftovers that pick up the slack. I think a good teacher has to be reasonably smart b/c you have to think on your feet. You have to adapt a lesson on the fly and cater it to a wide variety of students. I think the quality of teacher has been on a steady decline with really high turnover rates. And to make things worse, parenting has totally hit the shitter. I don't know what some of these parents are doing raising kids, but a lot of them are clueless. One guy told me he and his wife didn't know what to do about their daughter's homework b/c "she just doesn't want to do it." I wanted to smack him around and tell him to give her some of that. Grow a fucking pair. My folks were stern with us. They made sure grades came first. I mean, I missed half the soccer season one year b/c I got a C in a class. It was more important to them than to me, but at least they gave me a solid foundation for when I made my own decisions in life. That's really lacking these days. PEACE.

NetMapel

Yeah, being able to do well at school and learn how to write and do math are a lot more important than know how to play soccer and baseball... some parents should set their priority right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom