• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Refresh my memory: What was cut from Soul Reaver?

belgurdo

Banned
I know they hacked a lot of stuff so that Crystal Dynamics could make a sequel, but I can't remember how much hit the chopping block. I'm really curious

Gribbix

Fularu said:
Half of it (no joking)

I don't know where you got that from, but it was no where near half of it. The main cuts included the Turel, the Priestess, and a completely different ending in which Kain dies. Most of the gameplay related cuts were of things that never made it into the game or were not implemented well enough to keep. Here's a site detailing all the things that were cut out of the various games in the LoK series: The Lost Worlds

duckroll

Hahahahahahahahaha this brings back memories. Way back in the day I was the one who alerted GIA to the missing stuff and did all the ripping of the sound files and references from past interviews so it could be exposed that CD basically hacked up a perfectly fine game with a proper ending to MILK the franchise that they DID NOT CREATE.

Oh well, they did a fine job by themselves of running the series to the ground since then. WOE TO THEM. :(

Gribbix

duckroll said:
Hahahahahahahahaha this brings back memories. Way back in the day I was the one who alerted GIA to the missing stuff and did all the ripping of the sound files and references from past interviews so it could be exposed that CD basically hacked up a perfectly fine game with a proper ending to MILK the franchise that they DID NOT CREATE.

Oh well, they did a fine job by themselves of running the series to the ground since then. WOE TO THEM. :(

Not exactly. If you check out the website, you'll see that some of the stuff that was "cut out" was never actually made in the first place because they simply ran out of time. Though they did completely change the ending with Kain so they could make a sequel, its not as though they just cut the game in half and then released the second half as a sequel. The stuff that was cut out from SR1 was either a) never used in any of the sequels, or b) heavily altered from its original form.

duckroll

Gribbix said:
Not exactly. If you check out the website, you'll see that some of the stuff that was "cut out" was never actually made in the first place because they simply ran out of time. Though they did completely change the ending with Kain so they could make a sequel, its not as though they just cut the game in half and then released the second half as a sequel. The stuff that was cut out from SR1 was either a) never used in any of the sequels, or b) heavily altered from its original form.

That's what I said. :p They had all the designs planned out for a fine game with a fine ending. They decided to scrap it all and release BAD sequels with subsequently worse and worse writing up to the point where just about no one gives a jack shit about Legacy of Kain anymore. More like Legacy of Pain. :p

duckroll said:
That's what I said. :p They had all the designs planned out for a fine game with a fine ending. They decided to scrap it all and release BAD sequels with subsequently worse and worse writing up to the point where just about no one gives a jack shit about Legacy of Kain anymore. More like Legacy of Pain. :p

I liked the story & mythos they created.

:/

Top Bottom