• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Refurbished Xbox - good idea or bad idea?

border

I'm fixing to trade in my Playstation 2 towards an Xbox this weekend, as I sort of impulse bought a PSTwo at Wal-Mart.

Given that there seems to be a pretty wicked Xbox shortage going on right now, I may have to settle on a refurbished model if I go to a place like EBGames or Babbage's. This might be nice in the sense that it's cheaper, and I would probably get a less-than-recent model that could accept a no-solder mod chip. The downside is fairly obvious -- some other jerk may have treated the system like crap. Does the refurbishing actually add to the system's life? The weak link is probably the HDD anyway, and I doubt that they replace that.

Will the EB people humor me if I ask for one that was manufactured in 2003 or later?

Spike

border, don't go for the refurb units. If the rumour is true, then the Crystal Xbox might be coming in early November. Wait for that one.

refurb = HDD reformat and maybe replace DVD drive with a Thompson one

border

The Crystal units are nice, but I'm assuming that they are new-model systems (no easy mod chip) and I think MS has announced all that they are going to for this region. The Sports Pack PR went out today, and I think they would have just done a simultaneous announcement if the Crystal ones were in the works.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Very Bad Idea, I swear 75% of them come back to the store.
Microsoft seems to just use this "Test Equipment Boot Loader Utility" and assume it works. I know this cause I found the disc left in a refurb xbox. I'm not sure what to do with it, it says its the wrong region for my xbox :)

Grimlock

I guess I managed to luck out on my refurb. When I got it home, I found it had a Samsung drive and I just learned recently that it has a Segate HD. Booya.

Top Bottom