• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Remastered" Ready To Die" Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I went to Best Buy yesterday to get the Remastered "Ready to Die" CD & DVD. I expected to hear my favorite songs from the CD remastered with new production techniques and better leveling. But instead, I get the same old tracks, sounding just the same. The ONE song that was actually remastered was "Who Shot Ya" which was not available on the original CD. Everything else is sounding just like the 1995 originals. Very disappointing. But at the same time the CD was 9.99 and even the original CD is priced at 14.99 at BB.

There is a DVD extra with videos for 'Juicy', 'Big Poppa', 'Warning', 'One More Chance', and a live performance of 'Unbelievable'. But that hardly makes up for a non-remastering job. I got the Michael Jackson "Off the Wall" remastered CD and that sounds outstanding. I heard good things about the Nas re-issue as well, but Puff Daddy put NO effort into this remastering job. Sounds as though it is just a re-packaging instead.

I love the songs, but to advertise a "Remastered" CD and it sounds just like the original CD is plain wrong. I hate you Diddy!!!

TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT...TAKE THAT

dskillzhtown

Tre said:
You'd think remastering would be right up Diddy's alley.

That is what I thought, I thought Diddy would actually remaster the damn thing. That is what I liked about the other remastered CDs I bought. It wasn't anything drastic, but it was making things clearer, more vibrant. But Diddy was too busy getting the New Edition CD ready to care I guess.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The only remastered LP worth getting is Nas - Illmatic 10th Anniversary. Has a second disc w/ remixes and some new material.

There's also:

Mobb Deep - Infamous
Makaveli - 7 Day Theory
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

The only album that needs to be remastered is 36 Chambers.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DaCocoBrova said:
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Amen on that Nas album.. The Chronic got a remaster? Shit I didn't know that!

Need a DOC remaster...and I'd be happy

dskillzhtown

Winged Creature said:
so there is no change at all in sound quality at all?? even the volume levels???

NONE! No change at all. Very disappointing.

'Machine Gun Funk', 'One More Chance' and 'Everyday Struggle' could have used some remastering would have made them sound even better. 'Me and My Bitch' could have used a serious remastering. The bass is still muddy as the Mississippi. At lunch today a co-worker let em borrow the original CD and we went to my car and listened to both, no difference at all. Then we tried it in a CD Walkman, no difference at all. 'Who Shot Ya' is the only one that sounds remastered.

DaCocoBrova said:
The only remastered LP worth getting is Nas - Illmatic 10th Anniversary. Has a second disc w/ remixes and some new material.

There's also:

Mobb Deep - Infamous
Makaveli - 7 Day Theory
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

The only album that needs to be remastered is 36 Chambers.

I got the Makaveli CD, that sounds damned good, as does Snoop's first CD. I have to pick up the Nas CD as that was one of my favorite CDs ever. Hearing it remastered would be nice. DCB, you are damned straight on the 36 Chambers.

Hiphop doesn't lend itself well to remastering, mainly because of the samples. The only way they'd clean up some of these sounds is if they resampled the material, or replayed basslines and such in studio. Anything outside of that is upping levels, or slightly tweaking some stuff.

And no Wu Tang album ever should be remastered, especially 36 Chambers. That's one of the main reasons why 36 Chambers and Forever are so great, because they have that basement, raw gritty feel.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Hiphop doesn't lend itself well to remastering, mainly because of the samples. The only way they'd clean up some of these sounds is if they resampled the material.

Someone does not know what they are talking about. I mean, really.

ZootedGranny said:
Hiphop doesn't lend itself well to remastering, mainly because of the samples. The only way they'd clean up some of these sounds is if they resampled the material, or replayed basslines and such in studio. Anything outside of that is upping levels, or slightly tweaking some stuff.

And no Wu Tang album ever should be remastered, especially 36 Chambers. That's one of the main reasons why 36 Chambers and Forever are so great, because they have that basement, raw gritty feel.

Ive heard some great remastered hip hop albums

What I'm saying is that most major label hiphop is already on digital masters, so most of the improvements are just from the advancement of technology. There are improvements, but I was just saying I don't hear a great difference between an original or a remastered version.

Take Critical Beatdown for example. The bass is a little tighter and the vocals are clearer, but I'm not hearing a huge difference in the album compared to the original.

ZootedGranny said:
Take Critical Beatdown for example. The bass is a little tighter and the vocals are clearer, but I'm not hearing a huge difference in the album compared to the original.

How about not having to turn the volume up, then down, between each track? The volume levels on the original Next Plateau version of Critical Beatdown made the baby jesus cry.

Diablos

What people forget is that most "remastered" tracks are just jacked up a few decibals more to make it sound louder. Like the Weezer remastered disc. Sounds WORSE IMO because it is TOO LOUD.

Diablos said:
What people forget is that most "remastered" tracks are just jacked up a few decibals more to make it sound louder. Like the Weezer remastered disc. Sounds WORSE IMO because it is TOO LOUD.

Yeah but if you truely remaster it, the way it was meant to be, you go in digitally track by track and clean up any artifacts on the original analog audio. Technically it should sound much better, not just higher dB levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom