• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reno 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Is it just me, or does this show kick serious ass? I remember seeing the very first episode and not thinking much of it, but by the end of the first season I was totally hooked. And this season actually seems more consistently good (the episodes also seem to be more plot-based, which I don't know if I like or not). It's such a great cast who are just awesome at this kind of partially-non-scripted comedy, which really works well for the theme of the show.

Seriously, this is probably my favorite new Comedy Central show of the last few years, even better than Chappelle's Show (which is much more on-and-off good IMO).

On a side note, Comedy Central's really been doing a lot better than they were a few years ago. I remember back then pretty much all they had was South Park, and even that show was going down the crapper as Matt and Trey were doing nothing but trying to top the previous week's shock humor, and Comedy Central was introducing retarded shows like Battlebots (wtf was that doing on a comedy network?). Now South Park is for the most part back to it's stupidly smart satirical self, Battleshit is gone forever, and CC seems to be putting out new good shows every seasons.......Insomniac, Chappelle's Show, Reno, Crank Yankers, I'm With Busey, Conan reruns, and for a talkshow the Graham Norton Effect actually looks kinda interesting......what would I do without Comedy Central? Okay, enough comedy central pimping.

Btw, anyone know if they're going to be doing anything more with Busey ever?

Crank Yankers has never been and never will be funny. The rest of your post is right on the button though.

Crossballs looks amazing, it's got two of the guys from Upright Citizens Brigade in it (one of them is also the producer).

demon

StrikerObi said:
Crank Yankers has never been and never will be funny. The rest of your post is right on the button though.

Crossballs looks amazing, it's got two of the guys from Upright Citizens Brigade in it (one of them is also the producer).
I've always had a thing for prank phone calls, and some of the ones on Crank are pretty funny. I never even watch it, just listen to it in the background.

And yeah, I've seen stuff on Crossballs and noticed a couple of the people from UCB. That should be interesting. Speaking of which, anyone know if they're making a second UCB DVD?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Reno is one of my MOST TIVO each week shows... I love that show.. absolutely hilarious. The episode that I just watched(the guy was the killer?) was just so over the top at the end....

IIRC Season 1 of Reno came out on DVD Tuesday.

I hope Chappelle's Show comes back. :(

demon

DarienA said:
Reno is one of my MOST TIVO each week shows... I love that show.. absolutely hilarious. The episode that I just watched(the guy was the killer?) was just so over the top at the end....

IIRC Season 1 of Reno came out on DVD Tuesday.

I hope Chappelle's Show comes back. :(
That episode is a couple weeks old I think. The last one, which I didn't see the beginning of, had some cop from England spend a few days with the Reno squad, and he turns out to be psycho....fuckin hilarious. The very end with the box and the truck nearly had me on the floor.

CrisKre

I remember one episode of Reno that started with an officer on duty going into a building where the rest of the police officers where all waiting for him to surprise him for his birthday and as he went in they all yelled "SURPRI..." and before they could finish he fired his weapon and one of them was shoot backwards half the room. It was so fucking hillarious I laughed for 10 min. Its been my top CC program since.

demon

CrisKre said:
I remember one episode of Reno that started with an officer on duty going into a building where the rest of the police officers where all waiting for him to surprise him for his birthday and as he went in they all yelled "SURPRI..." and before they could finish he fired his weapon and one of them was shoot backwards half the room. It was so fucking hillarious I laughed for 10 min. Its been my top CC program since.
I never saw that episode, although that was the scene I saw in the initial commercials that piqued my interest.

That was the first episode. And yes Reno 911 is one of the best of Comedy Central's shows. I'm glad they stuck it out with Tough Crowd but, I'm not pressed about Graham Norton.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Reno 911 = awesome show. I admit I'm a complete sucker for pretty much any humor that's not entirely scripted (Spinal Tap, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.), but they also do it pretty damn well on that show.

And I also agree that Comedy Central has been building up a really good stable of shows these past few years. My only complaints are MAD TV (seriously, I would've rather kept watching the same SNL reruns than this shit), Crank Yankers (RETARDED PUPPETS CALLING PEOPLE HURM HAR), and Insomniac (I can only watch so many episodes of Dave Attel going into random weird bars). Also, the Graham Norton Effect looks terrible. Other than that, they're all in a range of decent to excellent.

Oh yeah, and bring back new episodes of Strangers With Candy! Please!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
she's a three bagger, one for her head, one for your head, and one for anyone who god forbid might be looking in through the window

demon

SNL in its prime was definitely better than MadTV, but I think I got totally burnt out on SNL reruns after watching them from (what was it) 1-3 *every single night* for three years straight. The occassional MadTV skit with Will Sasso is worth it.

DarienA

I also really like that Reno always opens up with something crazy going on in the squad car... either an accident or in the case of the episode I saw(and you couldn't tell at first), they were actually flipped over in the squad car. :lol

DMczaf

KingGondo said:
I doubt that'll happen, but I would expect a DVD release sometime soon.

Theres a movie coming out in 2005

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-3164/epid-288108/

The movie is a prequal to the TV show, starting off when Jerri gets out of jail and goes home.
rumored to be released in 2005.
Filming Begun April of 2004

B00009B8FW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0000DJYML.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've never seen the show before (whenever I saw it on TV, I thought it was just a COPS show for Toronto), but I caught the latter half of an episode a few days ago and it was really, really funny.

Where does the show take place?

demon

Mike Works said:
I've never seen the show before (whenever I saw it on TV, I thought it was just a COPS show for Toronto), but I caught the latter half of an episode a few days ago and it was really, really funny.

durrrrrrr......Reno Nevada.

Willco

Hollywood Square
My favorite episode is when the black guy is demoted to crossing guard after he beat the shit out of one of the cops who made a racial joke. And he loves the gig! Every other clip is him flirting with moms, teachers and schoolgirls.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mike Works said:

Season 1 DVD was just released recently, you should look into it. Only 20 bucks or so, and it's a hillarious show.

demon

Willco said:
My favorite episode is when the black guy is demoted to crossing guard after he beat the shit out of one of the cops who made a racial joke. And he loves the gig! Every other clip is him flirting with moms, teachers and schoolgirls.
"......Dale this is fried chicken and malt liquor...."

:lololol

Same here. The first episode wasn't that great but it's been doing great ever since. Having two of the three cast members from Viva Variety is NEVER a bad thing..

MadTV, Crank Yankers, and Shorties Watching Shorties are terrible.

Graham Norton looks pretty funny to me. I love that phone he has (the teddy bear one).

Strangers With Candy is grouped with Reno 911 in the "I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me."
(Girl: "Where's your permission slip?" Colbert: "YOU SHUT YOUR GOD DAMN DIRTY LITTLE MOUTH!")

Has anyone here ever seen Let's Bowl? It doesn't sound too good conceptually but if you actually watch a few episodes it's freaking hilarious. I love how the commentators are actually broadcast to the audience. It's great to see someone get up to bowl and turn around and give a dirty look when the guy gives an off-color comment :)

I'm glad Tough Crowd was given another chance. The show's hilarious (whenever Patrice isn't on it, at least), and has only gotten better now that they bring in the bench every week :).

Can't just dismiss the horrible crap that CC put out though... Shorties Watching Shorties... Strip Mall... Battlebots... ugh.

demon

Shorties Watching Shorties is an abomination. I remember watching it for the first (and last) time in a dorm cafeteria and it was embarrassing.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I was watching Strangers With Candy and laughed my ass off when Jerri accidently killed that girl with the acid/drug cream.

I just saw the one with the child molester sting.

<Guy> God, I'd love to put my head on those...

*Police come running up from behind to arrest him*

<Guy> But I'm awake enough to not rest on your shoulder.

*Police stop from grabbing him at the last second, run back around the corner*

<Guy> Do you mind if I suck on em a little?

*Police run up from behind again*

*Guy grabs the girls drink and sucks on it through a straw*

<Guy> Thanks.

*Police stop RIGHT behind him again, and run back around the corner*

<Guy> .....so we gonna fuck or what?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Mike Works said:

<Guy> Thanks.

Haha, that was great.

DMczaf

Mike Works said:

<Guy> Thanks.

Hahahaha!

More quotes!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0370194/quotes

Deputy Travis Junior: I actually wanted to be in the FBI for about 20 minutes after I saw that movie with Jodie Foster and that guy who eats people in his basement, but I was really stoned at the time. And to be honest with you, for about 20 minutes, I also thought about making a dress out of people's skin.

[Jones reads a note in the bag of tacos he and Garcia ordered from a fast food taco joint]
Deputy S. Jones: Officers, there are two armed men inside.
Deputy James Garcia: I hope there are two-armed men in there. One-armed men wouldn't be able to serve tacos.

[Officer Garcia has been shot]
Deputy James Garcia: Oh, God, call for help.
Deputy Trudy Wiegel: Help. Help.
Deputy James Garcia: Use your goddamn radio.

DMczaf said:
Deputy Travis Junior: I actually wanted to be in the FBI for about 20 minutes after I saw that movie with Jodie Foster and that guy who eats people in his basement, but I was really stoned at the time. And to be honest with you, for about 20 minutes, I also thought about making a dress out of people's skin.

[Jones reads a note in the bag of tacos he and Garcia ordered from a fast food taco joint]
Deputy S. Jones: Officers, there are two armed men inside.
Deputy James Garcia: I hope there are two-armed men in there. One-armed men wouldn't be able to serve tacos.

[Officer Garcia has been shot]
Deputy James Garcia: Oh, God, call for help.
Deputy Trudy Wiegel: Help. Help.
Deputy James Garcia: Use your goddamn radio.
Hahahaha, Jesus Christ, I'm watching this show whenever I see it on now.

DMczaf

[Garcia can't shoot a pinata from close range]
Deputy James Garcia: I will not let some little smiling pinero ruin my 15 year anniversary!
[takes the pinata, puts it on the ground, and shoots it three times in the stomach]
Deputy James Garcia: Yeah! Yeah, who's laughing now, pinero?
[shouts]
Deputy James Garcia: Motherfucker! Yeah! Who's smiling now? Fuck you! This is my 15 years! Mine!
[raises his arms in triumph]
Deputy James Garcia: Whoo! Whoo! Fuck yeah! Who's smiling now?... Let's have a beer!

HAHA!

Oh man I need to hurry up and pick up the DVD

Willco

Hollywood Square
Although it's on backorder, I just bought Season 1 of Reno 911 for $14.31 at DeepDiscountDVD.com! You can use the coupon DEEPDISCOUNT to get 20% off until tomorrow.

DMczaf

[Dangle has made Jones help him move, and it turns out his house is only 50 feet away]
Lt. Jim Dangle: Here we are, casa de Dangle!
Deputy S. Jones: [pause] What the fuck?
Lt. Jim Dangle: What do you mean, what the fuck?
Deputy S. Jones: Dangle, we only moved, like, 45 feet! You could have done all of this shit yourself!
Lt. Jim Dangle: I'm sure it's more like 100 feet.

[talking to a junior high class]
Deputy Trudy Wiegel: Now, I don't care if you wear mini-skirts. I don't care if you wear Dungarees. I don't care if you're good at basketball, I don't care if you're fun to be around. But you can rest assured that every one of you, at some point, is going to be raped.

Lt. Jim Dangle: I can't imagine any woman having sex with Garcia. I think it would be really angry, the sex.
Deputy S. Jones: You think so?
Lt. Jim Dangle: Have you ever heard him in the john? It's like Normandy.

I've been watching Reno 911 since the first episode. Good show although the thing that grabbed me was the commercial/scene that someone else mentioned. Garcia was chasing someone, runs into a dark room, all the other officers yell "Surprise!" and then he shoots one of them. Funny as hell.

Anyone see the episode where Dangle tries to seduce Jones by asking him to help him move a few trailers down from where he lived? Apparently it worked; the next day Dangle wasn't at work because "He lost the ability to walk". LOL

Mister Zimbu said:
Has anyone here ever seen Let's Bowl? It doesn't sound too good conceptually but if you actually watch a few episodes it's freaking hilarious. I love how the commentators are actually broadcast to the audience. It's great to see someone get up to bowl and turn around and give a dirty look when the guy gives an off-color comment :)

Is that still on? I haven't seen it on in ages. I thought it was much better than battlebots. The whole "Let's spoof sports shows" worked much better with bowling than it did with robots.

CaptainABAB

StrikerObi said:

You take that back right now!

Birchum as a vietnam vet applying for a construction job....
"I have a right leg but it's the same as not having one"

"...but mcann isn't, and neither is hernandez or jackson or dejacamo, whole platoon went up, espanoza, big head, lil head ...nah..well as mcann and hernandez is but not jackson, he was into satan, me and him smoked hash out of a human skull....sometimes I wish I was dead...I dunno sometimes when I am up there on the scaffolding, ya know up on the third floor I think about tying a twist-lock cord around my neck and just diving, just taking the big plunge...yeah tell that to Mcann, hernandez, dejacamo, Pierce and honeycut, manny, moe and jack"

DarienA

demon that one you posted was funny as hell IIRC after Garcia ran around the corner Jones was like... you know I gotta take you in right... and the guy was like... I don't know that...

The Shadow said:
Is that still on? I haven't seen it on in ages. I thought it was much better than battlebots. The whole "Let's spoof sports shows" worked much better with bowling than it did with robots.

Unfortunately not... you might be able to catch a few episodes every few months in those little mini-marathons they have some weekdays from 2-4am.

They're also occasionally on the Comedy Central on Demand channel if you have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom