• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rentanime.com opens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimlock

I loved this part under "Why RentAnime.com?":

NO LATE CHARGES
Watch 'The End of Evangelion' as many times as it takes for it to make sense.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
What we need is a service that combines Netflix's service and sheer amount of distribution centers, rentAnime's, well, Anime selection and Gamefly's console games all under one service for about 20 bucks a month. Having to pay 20 bucks a month for all these seperate services adds up quick. Also, we need boobies, lots and lots of boobies...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Grimlock said:
I loved this part under "Why RentAnime.com?":

NO LATE CHARGES
Watch 'The End of Evangelion' as many times as it takes for it to make sense.

Heh, I own the DVD and hell if I could still tell you what most of it means...

USA only. :(

I suppose I was just getting my hopes up, but jeez, the subscription form lets you choose a country, and the terms specifically mention Canada and the USA.

tedtropy said:
What we need is a service that combines Netflix's service and sheer amount of distribution centers, rentAnime's, well, Anime selection and Gamefly's console games all under one service for about 20 bucks a month. Having to pay 20 bucks a month for all these seperate services adds up quick. Also, we need boobies, lots and lots of boobies...

SOTY [Suggestion of the Year] Jesus that would fucking rock. I'd pay $30/month for that monster service.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Netflix already has quite the selection of domestic releases
Thanks to the tampa center, shipping is much shorter

Chrono

Banned
Do Anime companies profit from this? I mean if rentAnime.com just buys 10 copies of EVA for example and rent those 100 times, does ADV get a share lf the profit? Or do they only profit from the 10 copies sold to rentanime.com?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm sure it's similar to how blockbuster does it. I always figured they paid more for their copies then wal mart or best buy does, or pay some sort of renting license fee to the distributor.

Chrono

Banned
levious said:
I'm sure it's similar to how blockbuster does it. I always figured they paid more for their copies then wal mart or best buy does, or pay some sort of renting license fee to the distributor.

yeah I hope so. I buy the DVDs of some series' just to support the anime even if I watched the fansub but if renting them will ONLY profit the renting company then hell no.

levious said:

Nope. The only fees Blockbuster tends to give up is for advance releases or exclusive deals. So in the same respect, anime companies make nothing over a rental service, except for ADV, which, well, owns the rentanime service as I recall. (EDIT: Animenation does, as pointed out below. Thanks for the clarification)

It's entirely possible the studios may deal with Blockbuster individually (cutting out distribution middlemen) but there are definitely no "rental tax" type things out there, which is leading to a lot of industry concern (with games as well).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
so you're saying Blockbuster pays the same for their copies of movies and video games that retail stores do, even if they're meant for rental? Doesn't make sense to me.

Because those methods are illegal?

Rentanime is being run by AnimeNation, and not ADV as far as I know..
AnimeNation does have a few of their own titles, but not very many (They've released maybe 4 DVDs in total so far I believe).

I too purchase DVDs in an effort to support the creators...

levious said:
so you're saying Blockbuster pays the same for their copies of movies and video games that retail stores do, even if they're meant for rental? Doesn't make sense to me.

As retail chains, anyway. Blockbuster is to some extent a distributor and a retailer. In any case, there are no laws (that I've heard of anyway) against buying products for rental purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom