• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Euro Packshot

repalpack.jpg

Uh... Looks strange..?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I quite like it. Capcom seem to like simple European boxarts, from the excellent RE0, to the dreadful REmake:

B00006TAQU.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000066THS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

scarybore

solarplexus said:
repalpack.jpg

Uh... Looks strange..?

Looks brilliant to me, nothing like the US one where they tried to cram as much as they could onto the cover while still having the usual "teh guy has a gun!!1!!11" factor. Infact the US boxart should remove Leon off the cover and it would be infinitively better by just doing that.

Sadly since I import its the US box ill be getting :D

SantaC

Deathcraze said:
Looks brilliant to me, nothing like the US one where they tried to cram as much as they could onto the cover while still having the usual "teh guy has a gun!!1!!11" factor. Infact the US boxart should remove Leon off the cover and it would be infinitively better by just doing that.

Sadly since I import its the US box ill be getting :D

same here!

callous

That is one disappointing looking cover for a game of this caliber. I don't like it one bit. It looks cheap. Usually I don't care much about covers, but .. ugh.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Now THAT is great boxart, one of the most athmospheric in a while - almost like a movie poster! Thank you Capcom Europe from sparing us from the generic crap your less talented US counterparts provide!

Chittagong said:
Now THAT is great boxart, one of the most athmospheric in a while - almost like a movie poster! Thank you Capcom Europe from sparing us from the generic crap your less talented US counterparts provide!

I'd chose getting and playing it earlier vs better box art anyday

good luck waiting.

Fifty

That's exactly what I wanted the US cover to be like. :D Maybe they read my comments in the other thread ;p

callous

Yes, I think it looks cheap. It looks like (and I fully appreciate the irony of this) the cover for an extremely low budget horror movie that only came out on VHS (possibly Betamax) in 1983.

Fifty

I think it looks stylishly minimal, not cheap. Any game can have a stupid model of a character on its box, but this is actually something fresh.

I like it and it has sealed a first day purchase from me.

I wonder if they could have made the chainsaw guy slightly more prominent without killing the classiness. If you didn't follow the game you probably wouldn't know it's a chainsaw wielding guy in a hood.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I am kind of surprised they resisted the urge to make the forest trail and foliage look like a skull.

I like it, but I think I would prefer the US one without Leon. ;)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Now that I'm back with my PowerBook, I noticed rightaway that this is a FAKE. The super sharp and bright display with good distinction in the dark end of the color range of reveals that the Nintendo and GameFront logos we're cut and pasted with a rectangular marquee tool over the image. The black does not match fully with the background. Also, you can see a "PAL" text shining through the Nintendo logo.

If you have a lesser display, you can see the same by bringing it into Photoshop and using Brightness +50 / Contrast +70.

A really stylish fake, for once. Although the lack of the PAL text and the funny colors should have given it away immediately.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks cool but the casual gamer would probably overlook it with that kidn of cover. There's really nothing on the cover that distinguishes it as a RE title

And if it is indeed a fake, haha dumb Gamefront. Where's the rating anyway?

Chittagong said:
Now that I'm back with my PowerBook, I noticed rightaway that this is a FAKE. The super sharp and bright display with good distinction in the dark end of the color range of reveals that the Nintendo and GameFront logos we're cut and pasted with a rectangular marquee tool over the image. The black does not match fully with the background. Also, you can see a "PAL" text shining through the Nintendo logo.

If you have a lesser display, you can see the same by bringing it into Photoshop and using Brightness +50 / Contrast +70.

A really stylish fake, for once. Although the lack of the PAL text and the funny colors should have given it away immediately.

In the last years gamefront never released a fake packshot. Furthermore many other european sites got this boxart straight from Capcom today.

Fake or not, that is niiice. Better than the US cover (which is good). If Leon were removed from the US cover, it would be a close match, but I would still prefer this one I think.

Chittagong

Gold Member
solarplexus said:
In the last years gamefront never released a fake packshot. Furthermore many other european sites got this boxart straight from Capcom today.

I'd love this to be the real thing. However, it's beyond me how Capcom would send out such a mock-up although they have the official Nintendo templates, as does their UK design agency. The following things bother me, fake or not:

#1 The Capcom logo in odd color. Not seen that before and it is very rare for a company to alter a classic logo even for such an important event.

#2 Why have the Nintendo symbols been pasted over the artwork in bitmap format retaining their background, although the Nintendo templates have the vector originals?

#3 Why is the "PAL" text shining through from behind the Nintendo logo when you touch contrast and brightness sliders in photoshop?

#4 Why is there no "PAL" text normally in the pack front?

#5 Where is the ratings icon?

The last one is easiest, as ratings come in later probably. Again, any of the above questions do not mean that it would be 100% certainly fake, but they sure make it look unprofessional, although very cool in design.

hirokazu

Chittagong said:
#5 Where is the ratings icon?

at first, i suspected it was a fake too, but then i thought - Gamefront has always posted real boxart, no fakes, so i assumed these are early designs or something...

there's no ratings icon because the icon can vary from country to country, so they put it in specifically for the country it's to be sold in, and also, i don't think they really have a "rating pending" icon for games that are yet to be classified.

Chittagong

Gold Member
hirokazu said:
at first, i suspected it was a fake too, but then i thought - Gamefront has already posted real boxart, no fakes, so i assumed these are early designs or something...

there's no ratings icon because the icon can vary from country to country, so they put it in specifically for the country it's to be sold in, and also, i don't think they really have a "rating pending" icon for games that are yet to be classified.

Yep, there's the PEGI icon, the Germany icon and what not. And they come late. Any thoughts on the other four questions?

Top Bottom