• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - January 11'th

human5892

Queen of Denmark
They couldn't have had it finished three weeks sooner? That would've at least gotten them some late-shopper Christmas dollars.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Right, three more weeks is all they need? This is going to be a definite late Winter arrival. January 11th is just a nice pretty date they need to provide the retailers.

BuddyC

Tekuno - Erm, this is a specific date they told an online publication. Capcom themselves haven't revealed a specific date before this, so why would they be lying? Retailers have known it wasn't going to make it out till 2005 for a while...but coming directly from Capcom, I'd say you can trust that date.

Notice how the word delay isn't mentioned once in that story? I wonder if that has anything to do with the reports of a delay a few weeks ago and Capcom going "It's not a delay because we never said when!"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow...your telling me it can't be put in the Holiday season somewhere? Even December 23rd would work. I'm going to be tapped out and playing tons of games on Jan 11th, Resident Evil 4 might have to wait awhile.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all works out. I suspect it will get moved up somehow.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
jedimike said:
where's that Nintendo fall line-up thread?

*ahem*

Paper Mario 2
Metroid Prime 2
Donkey Konga
Star Fox 2
Baten Kaitos (Namco published)

Still not that bad imo. Losing RE hurts but it might still might sell some systems in the first quarter of '05. Zelda and RE next year ensures that ...

2005 = YEAR OF THE GAMECUBE!!!!!

AirBrian

Now this frustrates me. If the game truely needs the extra time then push it out until February or March. But < 3 weeks after Christmas, c'mon. :rolleyes:

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
AirBrian said:
Now this frustrates me. If the game truely need the extra time then push it out until February or March. But < 3 weeks after Christmas, c'mon. :rolleyes:

If they have to delay it then releasing it in January is the best time since hardware sales are generally higher in January than they are in Feb/Mar. The one thing that pisses me off so much about the delays though is that Capcom could have released remakes of RE2 and RE3 by now. I'm sure another team in Capcom could have gotten it done with Mikami supervising. The whole point of them not redoing those games was to release RE4 on time!

Deku Tree said:
This is a major bummer. What is the logic behind three weeks after xmas?

Less competition. That, and Capcom is probably counting on a lot of people purchasing it with their Xmas money.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
BuddyChrist83 said:
Tekuno - Erm, this is a specific date they told an online publication. Capcom themselves haven't revealed a specific date before this, so why would they be lying? Retailers have known it wasn't going to make it out till 2005 for a while...but coming directly from Capcom, I'd say you can trust that date.

Notice how the word delay isn't mentioned once in that story? I wonder if that has anything to do with the reports of a delay a few weeks ago and Capcom going "It's not a delay because we never said when!"
Oh that's right, I don't remember Capcom ever saying it would be out for Christmas. I do remember them saying Winter though, that I'm sure of.

If it matters much my line of thinking revolved around the fact that they were missing an important selling date by a mere three weeks. I assumed that since they didn't really know when it was going to be released they produced a number in order to satisfy retailers (and also those who are waiting). I don't think they're lying at all, sorry if it came out like that. :(

I really don't mind them taking so long, I want them to make an RE game they are proud of regardless of deadlines. Hell they could announce mid next year and I wouldn't care!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sonycowboy said:
EDIT: That's scary that Human and I thought of the exact same reply and date. Brrrrrrr.
neo.jpg

"Whoa."

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
JC10001 said:
Less competition. That, and Capcom is probably counting on a lot of people purchasing it with their Xmas money.
I very much doubt this is a strategic decision. I have no doubt that if they could have it ready by X-mas they would've.

AirBrian said:
Now this frustrates me. If the game truely need the extra time then push it out until February or March. But < 3 weeks after Christmas, c'mon. :rolleyes:

Sales-wise, January is still one of the larger months for software sales. I think it's 4th behind November, December, and October. I guess it's from all the cash/gift cards people get for Christmas. Plus the tons of games that came out in those months that people didn't have time to get.

Link316

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Oh that's right, I don't remember Capcom ever saying it would be out for Christmas. I do remember them saying Winter though, that I'm sure of.

maybe so, but they knew full and well that people were asking if its been delayed into 2005 when they gave that Winter response

AirBrian

JC10001 said:
If they have to delay it then releasing it in January is the best time since hardware sales are generally higher in January than they are in Feb/Mar.
Here's Jan-Feb-Mar for GC:

2002:

2003:

2004:

Ranger X

January 2005? Perfect fine. There's too many games coming in late 2004 anyway.
I wish Capcom makes big bucks with this game and show people that a game can sell well anytime of the fucking year. And i'm gonna buy it because i'll have time to save some money for it. Thank you Capcom.

AirBrian

sonycowboy said:
Sales-wise, January is still one of the larger months for software sales. I think it's 4th behind November, December, and October. I guess it's from all the cash/gift cards people get for Christmas. Plus the tons of games that came out in those months that people didn't have time to get.
OK, that makes more sense than basing it off of hardware numbers.

JC10001 said:
I can't remember back to 2002 but 2003/2004 are easily explained.

2003 = Zelda
2004 = teh shortage!! (either that... or Pokemon)

Software numbers are much different. January > [February / March]

I know a lot of people are going to say I'm spinning here, but I am actually really happy about this. I was already uncertain on how I was going to play all the games coming out this season, so spacing out the releases so that we actually have something to play in the early parts of next year should be excellent.

Actually, the beginning of next year should be fantastic for GameCube players now. RE4, Viewtiful Joe 2, Geist, etc.

AirBrian

JC10001 said:
I can't remember back to 2002 but 2003/2004 are easily explained.

2003 = Zelda
2004 = teh shortage!!
That explains some of it, but that trend extends to PS2 and Xbox as well. Like sonycowboy said, this is probably based more on software than hardware sales. :(

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Yeah RE2 came out in like the third week of January in 1998. Anyway, I guess the rumors weren't bogus. It sems like every time you hear about a game not making a particular ship date, it ends up happening. I know Capcom never stated a specific date but many assumed this was gonna be a November title.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
skip said:
memory is hazy, but didn't RE2 come out in Jan/Feb/Mar of whatever year it came out?

Yep, Jan 21st is the date I'm seeing

I'm not bothered by the move neither, MP2:E, Halo2, and Timesplitters3 will be enough hold me. I would have beaten MP2:E by Jan 11, 05. Halo2 will be Live time consuming, TS3 will be the lan game. Plus I'm thinking of getting a PS2.

Link316

Banned
this delay might be good for existing GC owers in spacing out the software, but alot of consoles are sold in Nov/Dec, RE4 could've helped shift some of those sales towards the GC which it aint gonna do now

Timesplitters 3 is 2005. Yeesh, that is yet another title for beginning of next year. So what are the titles for early next year on GC again?

-RE4
-Viewtiful Joe 2
-Timesplitters 3
-Geist
-More that I cannot remember

Quite an awesome way to start a new year coming right out of a pretty intense holiday release schedule.

JasoNsider said:
Timesplitters 3 is 2005. Yeesh, that is yet another title for beginning of next year. So what are the titles for early next year on GC again?

-RE4
-Viewtiful Joe 2
-Timesplitters 3
-Geist
-More that I cannot remember

Quite an awesome way to start a new year coming right out of a pretty intense holiday release schedule.
Geist looks far from awesome.

NotMSRP

RE4 is an M-rated game intended for adults, and adults don't care about the calendar but only their wallets. Wouldn't the games most impacted by the Xmas fever be E and T games?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
NotMSRP said:
RE4 is an M-rated game intended for adults, and adults don't care about the calendar but only their wallets. Wouldn't the games most impacted by the Xmas fever be E and T games?
Only if you truly believe that only adults play M-rated games.

Operations said:
Geist looks far from awesome.

I liked what I played at E3. Wasn't mind blowing, but definitely has potential. I would pick up Timesplitters 3 if pitted with a choice though.

Actually, this isn't bad news for me. Although I wanted the game to ship in November, this will give me time to play the ones I'll get.

So far this is my list:

Fable
Doom 3
Halo 2
Jade Empire
KOTOR 2

Metroid 2
Baten Kaitos

There are others but so far those are my definites.

this has to be a strategic decision. we're talking about a three week difference to get the game out by christmas--i'm sure they could make it happen.

it might not be that bad of an idea either. gamecube didn't have that great of a holiday season in 2002 with the metroid/resident evil combo (and neither did capcom...).

on a side note, january 11th is my birthday, so that could be a nice gift...

Kifimbo

Well, it's the same situation as Ninja Gaiden last year. Judging by NG performance, I don't see how Capcom or Nintendo is doomed.

NotMSRP said:

I'm an adult (mostly) and I get more games at Christmas than any other. My wife buys me games, my brothers, my in-laws. (Well some get me gift cards, but the end result is the same). Christmas isn't just for kids.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sonycowboy said:
I'm an adult (mostly) and I get more games at Christmas than any other. My wife buys me games, my brothers, my in-laws. (Well some get me gift cards, but the end result is the same). Christmas isn't just for kids.
Yeah, that too. I'm (legally) an adult, but my girlfriend and parents still buy me Christmas presents.

Any way you slice it, RE4 is missing out on sales by not being released before the holidays.

Top Bottom