• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil series: which should I play before the 4th?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Which games in the series are key to the main storyline? I'm playing Zero right now, and I played RE2 several years ago. I definitely intend on getting REmake after I finish Zero, but are Nemesis and Code: Veronica at all important to the storyline (to your knowledge)? I'll probably go through them all eventually, but I want to be ready for the 4th when it hits, so which should I absolutely make sure to complete before then?

Thanks.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Um, Resident Evil has a story?

Honestly, the only Resident Evil you need to play is REmake on GameCube. None of the others can match the atmosphere and mood of it (after the first game, they went downhill in terms of atmosphere).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
DSN2K said:
1, 2, CV.

Eugh, that last one is the problem for me. Finished REmake, RE2, and RE3. But Code Veronica X is so hard for me to push through...I don't think I like it that much. And most people say that CVX has the most important parts of the story. Arg.

But I'll do it before RE4 comes out. Not for the story, just to make sure I beat a game before I buy one.

Kuroyume

Banned
MarkRyan-IGN said:
Um, Resident Evil has a story?

Honestly, the only Resident Evil you need to play is REmake on GameCube. None of the others can match the atmosphere and mood of it (after the first game, they went downhill in terms of atmosphere).

UMMMM.... YES.

evil ways

RE2 is still the best in the series, and after having played through it again the other day, I still wish they would've remade it as well on the GC.

Dan

Alright, so if I don't have time I'll skip Nemesis. Thanks guys.

Pjero

evil ways said:
RE2 is still the best in the series, and after having played through it again the other day, I still wish they would've remade it as well on the GC.

IAWTP. RE2 is awesome.

shpankey

not an idiot
1 and code veronica were the best.. i always thought 2 sucked and of course 0 is the worst by far.

callous

evil ways said:

One more vote in favour of this guy's statement. And not only is the game amazing, Claire's ass is also fantastic - better than in CV, just like the rest of the game.

Cimarron

In terms of story the most relevent are REmake and Code veronica X. CVX was amazing!!! the initial stage of the game is kinda hard to get through however it really steam rolls towards the end. Its the hardest one of the series but its a great game. RE3 is a great game but its more of a side story in terms of the main story arc.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
RE2 is great, REMake is amazing, I enjoyed RE0, I felt Nemesis was a little lacking and boring, and Code Veronica is still good, but it hasn't aged well in the past four years.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I"d play them all. 1,2,CV have the most story but 3 is the most exciting IMO. The way that Nemesis just comes out of nowhere and chases you is great.

I wish they would have remade 2 & 3.

Ranger X

You play the original or the remake it doesn't matter in story terms. The first RE is the core of the story since all the others have been made to "fit somewhere" around the story of the first.
On a personal stand point, the first is still the best imo and the second best may just end up being RE4 so if you play only those 2 i guess you've played what is important and really good.
RE2 is also great, it's more well done gameplay wise. It was a needed "more of the same" style of sequel when it came out.

ge-man

If you just want to concentrate on getting the story down, forget about RE3. The fact that it is labeled as the third part is misleading. It's a really fun romp, but it's mostly about one character in the series and it offers very few things to the whole Umbrella connection.

And since people are voting for their favorites, I'll say that RE2 still remains my favorite in the series. Leon has always been my favorite character, and it's nice to see that RE4 is about him this time.

Remake and RE2 are the ones I recommend.

Its probably not so easy to play RE2 - PSone graphics have not aged well.

TGG's RE series review

RE0 - rebecca's a scat and billy is ghey. (PREQUEL BUSINESS HAS TO GO. Who cares)

REmake - stunningly good. Like a real horror story. Water/tank areas are surprisingly scary

RE2 - Fantastic for its time (see graphics comment) Characters you cared about. Leon kicks all sorts of ass (as does Claire)

RE3 - fun but like RE 2.5 (short)

RE CV - ABSOLUTELY BAD. I didn't finish it. Alexia = the worst character in the RE series. Its like they didn't know what the hell they were doing. And the story just dragged. Oh, and the horrible whining/kiddy Leonardo Decaprio Clone. Ugly game too.

Senretsu

RE2 was the first one I had ever played, its pretty good

but my favorite is REmake on Gamecube, absolutely stunning. Zero is nice too.

3 isn't that important to the story. It should just be Resident Evil: Nemesis. With CV being Resident Evil 3: Code Veronica since it actually moves the story forward. (Secretly hopes Wesker will be in RE4)

snapty00

Banned
Don't play any of them. Let it be fresh. It might even be more interesting that way.

To be honest, I've never really paid attention to the storyline in Resident Evil, anyway. I never read any of the "files" that the main characters find, and I could barely tell you the names of the main characters.

Dan said:
Which games in the series are key to the main storyline? I'm playing Zero right now, and I played RE2 several years ago. I definitely intend on getting REmake after I finish Zero, but are Nemesis and Code: Veronica at all important to the storyline (to your knowledge)? I'll probably go through them all eventually, but I want to be ready for the 4th when it hits, so which should I absolutely make sure to complete before then?

Thanks.

You should have played REmake before RE0. The story in REmake just won't have the same impact on you. It would be like watching the new Star Wars Trilogy before the classic one. You wouldn't have those cool moments like finding out Darth Vader is Luke's father in the original trilogy.

REmake is probably the best RE I've played. Only main game I haven't played is RE3.

Dan

Red Dolphin said:
You should have played REmake before RE0. The story in REmake just won't have the same impact on you. It would be like watching the new Star Wars Trilogy before the classic one. You wouldn't have those cool moments like finding out Darth Vader is Luke's father in the original trilogy.
Yeah, I know, but back when I was looking to pick it up I absolutely could not find a copy of REmake, so I settled for starting with Zero.

Besides, it's not like I haven't heard about a lot of the spoilers and surprises from the first game after spending time on forums for the past several years. I've just finally gotten motivated enough to go through all the important stuff in the series for myself.

Edit: I don't know a dime about the plots of Nemesis and Code: Veronica though, so those will be totally new when/if I get to them.

cvxfreak

Zero and REmake, REmake and Zero, either order is fine. Hell, you could settle for playing Zero right after CODE: Veronica X if you wanted to. When you play Zero doesn't really matter much.

SaitoH

john tv said:
From best to worst (IMO), I'd say it goes like this:

CV

This man speaks the truth!!

^_~

[edit] It's amusing to read everyone elses opinion. After a quick scan, I guess number 1 would be the most liked overall, while Zero is the least liked.

ourumov

RE0 - rebecca's a scat and billy is ghey. (PREQUEL BUSINESS HAS TO GO. Who cares)

RE0 rocks :)

The story was great and Billy is not GAY, Leon is. Billy is a badass :)

For me this is the order:

RE > RE0 | RE2 > RE:CV> RE3

I haven't read all of the posts, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but you may want to set aside a bit of time for RE2 since you have to complete it 4 times (2 per character) to see everything. The second run though has more details and story, so you pretty much have to do it if you're playing the game for the story leading up to RE4.

It really is the best in the series, so as long as the PSX graphics don't bother you, it really is worth playing though all 4 times.

Dan

ThirstyFly said:
I haven't read all of the posts, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but you may want to set aside a bit of time for RE2 since you have to complete it 4 times (2 per character) to see everything. The second run though has more details and story, so you pretty much have to do it if you're playing the game for the story leading up to RE4.

It really is the best in the series, so as long as the PSX graphics don't bother you, it really is worth playing though all 4 times.
Duly noted, thanks.

Top Bottom