• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil to end? Confrontation between developers and management at Capcom?

SantaC

As most people suspected, there was a lot more to the PS2 port than what Capcom said in their press release.

Syobo Online just posted this:

"First off, the breaking of exclusivity in this case was not because of user demand, but a plan to boost the stock price, as some already understood, but it seems like there has been confrontation between the developers and the management who are following shareholders' instructions. Capcom nowadays is different to when Okamoto worked there, the development team's voice seems weaker than before.
It also looks like a lot of skilled staff will leave the company after the GC version of 4 is finished. But the people behind this rebellion are the developers, and they ask that you don't blame Mikami or Kobayashi. The GC version of 4 is the last one that Mikami will be involved in, the PS2 version will be passed on to someone else. People who used to work at Capcom are also shocked by this news."

I was also unaware about the number of people who did not know Mikami was leaving. It was announced around April that Shinji would leave to work at Clover Studios, a new studio at Capcom, after RE4. What I didn't know was that Hideki Kamiya was also transferring to Clover Studios and that Okamoto has left Capcom completely. Hideki was next most likely person to head the Resident Evil series and now PS4 and PS7 are left with no directors of any great experience when it comes to RE or even survival horror.

Given that Kobayashi said RE4 would mark the end of the current storyline that revolves around the T-virus, Umbrella, etc and that future RE games would concentrate on a completely new and unrelated story, it would seem that RE as we know it will end with RE4.

http://www.rehorror.com/
http://s03.2log.net/home/syoboon1/archives/blog178.html

bitwise

Banned
its one of capcom's biggest franchises.

just because mikami is gone, i don't think they're going to retire the series.

tenchir

Mikami just left one of Capcom's studio to work for another Capcom studio right? Mikami and other developers would still be working for Capcom, so what's the big deal? Am I missing something here? What's the difference between Clover studio and other capcom's studio?

Elios83

In fact if by leaving they mean Mikami will go to Clover studio instead of Production Studio 4 I don't see the big deal,a new RE could also be devloped by Clover.
Viewtiful Joe was created by Production Studio 4 and now it's in Clover's hands.

ourumov

I am beginning to think that something is wrong at Capcom. Okamoto leaving, the SF affair and now this...
Weird...

SantaC

ourumov said:
I am beginning to think that something is wrong at Capcom. Okamoto leaving, the SF affair and now this...
Weird...

Yup if you read this. it seems like there has been confrontation between the developers and the management who are following shareholders' instructions

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
it seems like devs might have more freedom under clover..

does capcom actually own clover.. or do they just have some sort of contract wwith them ?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
mumu said:
Mikami is going to Clover? Wow!

It was announced six months ago, yeah.

does capcom actually own clover.. or do they just have some sort of contract wwith them

Capcom owns them, but Clover's autonomous - so they can make whatever they like, and if it doesn't sell, Capcom doesn't take the loss.

It's time for Old Yeller (the RE series, not Mikami) to meet his maker.

(Actually, I'm going to have to play RE4 in its entirety before I can make that judgement.)

I figured something like this would happen.

It really sucks but I think Capcom is going down the crapper. Okamoto is gone, Mikami may soon be gone along with a large chunk of the RE4 team. Street Fighter has been sold off to the American division.

Ugh.

hirokazu

Jonnyram said:
Hmm, this translation sounds familiar. Thanks, guys!

lol. they also seemed to add their own speculation into it. it doesn't say Mikami's not going to be working on future RE (though that may be the case), it just says he's not dealing with the PS2 version RE4

It was announced a while ago (before the RE4 on PS2 thing) that Mikami was moving on from the RE series anyway.

I would be surprised personally if Mikami ever works for Capcom again period. I think a large chunk of the RE4 will either leave or transfer over to Clover.

Top Bottom