• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rex Tillerson went around sanctions on Iran at Exxon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ExxonMobil did business with Iran, Syria and Sudan through a European subsidiary while President-elect Donald Trump's nominee for secretary of State was a top executive of the oil giant and those countries were under U.S. sanctions as state sponsors of terrorism, Securities and Exchange Commission filings show.

That business connection is likely to surface Wednesday at a confirmation hearing for ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

The sales were conducted in 2003, 2004 and 2005 by Infineum, in which ExxonMobil owned a 50% share, according to SEC documents unearthed by American Bridge, a Democratic research group.

ExxonMobil told USA TODAY the transactions were legal because Infineum, a joint venture with Shell Corporation, was based in Europe and the transactions did not involve any U.S. employees.

The filings, from 2006, show that the company had $53.2 million in sales to Iran, $600,000 in sales to Sudan and $1.1 million in sales to Syria during those three years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...r-secretary-state-nominee-tillerson/96359776/

Man, when your best defense is "this was not technically illegal because we found a loophole not accounted for by the government."

Not sure how McCain, Graham, and other self proclaimed neocons can actually confirm this guy as Secretary of State.

studyguy

Not sure how McCain, Graham, and other self proclaimed neocons can actually confirm this guy as Secretary of State.

We know the plan.
You can't hold charges against a man for what you don't have time to investigate into! How do you confirm? By claiming you never knew about the issue in the first place for the rest of the GOP who are allowing this sham to happen and rushing them through.

Man, when your best defense is "this was not technically illegal because we found a loophole not accounted for by the government."

tbf I think McCain and Graham are actually not going to confirm him. The problem is that we need one more (or two, if Manchin or Heitkamp breaks away) to keep him out.

tbf I think McCain and Graham are actually not going to confirm him. The problem is that we need one more (or two, if Manchin or Heitkamp breaks away) to keep him out.

Has anyone asked the following Senators:

- Collins
- Rubio
- Murkowski
- Portman
- Heller
- Lee
- Buck

Crocodile

Has anyone asked the following Senators:

- Collins
- Rubio
- Murkowski
- Portman
- Heller
- Lee
- Buck

I called Portman telling him my displeasure with how the Sentae Cabinet hearings are proceeding and I specifically called out Sessions and Tillerson as problems. I have no idea how much good it will do :p

As long as this is legal, I don't see the issue. The US could have strengthened the laws to make it illegal and they chose to leave loopholes in.

The same Iran we then turned around and gave $1.7 billion later in time?

First off that was 400 million that was theirs in the first place.

Second if we had NOT given BACK (as in it was Iran's money) that money, Iran would have been able to take it to The Hague and would have probably gotten the 400m PLUS more (to account for interest and inflation) than just 1.3b.

Third, we did this deal because we were negotiating ending Iran's fucking nuclear program.

zelas

As long as this is legal, I don't see the issue. The US could have strengthened the laws to make it illegal and they chose to leave loopholes in.

It's more an issue when put up against Trump's own rhetoric. How can he be for draining the swamp while nominating cronies. How can he and his administration be trusted to take a strong stance on Iran when he's nominating people who were willing to undermine the US.

And just like we're seeing with the ACA, how can he talk about people not losing their insurance and medicare while sitting back and allowing Republicans to repeal the ACA.

What other lies will be revealed?

Everyone is going to be too busy falling into Trump's trap when he gives his speech on the same day these hearings are happening. This will be like the fourth or fifth time he's purposefully made waves when something negative has come up.

guek

Banned

But is it illegal though?

yuytye.gif

Gutek

It won't matter. GOP doesn't have spines, people won't take to the streets, and our pockets are going to be drained by the upcoming kleptocracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom