• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhindle - July 2004 CSFB hardware numbers, please

Rhindle

Indeed ....

July 2004 Hardware Sales

PS2: 305,000 (+2% over 2003)
Xbox: 202,000 (+47%)
GCN: 93,000* (-27%)
GBA: 395,000 (-19%)

(*) This may or may not be correct. CSFB's cumulative numbers indicate monthly sales of 75,000.

Cumulative Installed Base

PS2: 24,433,000
Xbox: 9,367,000
GCN: 7,672,000
GBA: 22,579,000

LTD Tie Ratios

PS2: 8.52
Xbox: 7.01
GCN: 6.68
GBA: 3.67

Top 25 Software Titles

Rank/Title/Publisher

1 PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 2005 Electronic Arts
2 PS2 SPIDER-MAN:THE MOVIE2 Activision
3 XBX NCAA FOOTBALL 2005 Electronic Arts
4 XBX SPIDER-MAN:THE MOVIE2 Activision
5 PS2 ESPN NFL 2K5 Take 2/Sega
6 XBX ESPN NFL 2K5 Take 2/Sega
7 GCN SPIDER-MAN:THE MOVIE2 Activision
8 PS2 DRIV3R Atari
9 GCN TALES OF SYMPHONIA Namco
10 GBA SPIDER-MAN:THE MOVIE2 Activision
11 GBA YU-GI-OH! RESHEF Konami
12 XBX DRIV3R Atari
13 PS2 MVP BASEBALL 2004 Electronic Arts
14 XBX HALO Microsoft
15 GCN ZELDA: FOUR SWORDS Nintendo
16 XBX SUDEKI Microsoft
17 PS2 TOM CLANCY’S PANDORA TOMORROW Ubi Soft
18 PS2 RED DEAD REVOLVER Take 2
19 GBA MARIO VS. DONKEY KONG Nintendo
20 XBX FULL SPECTRUM WARRIOR THQ
21 GBA POKEMON RUBY Nintendo
22 PS2 FIGHT NIGHT 2004 Electronic Arts
23 GBA DRAGONBALL Z:SUPRSNIC Atari
24 PS2 SHREK 2 Activision
25 GBA POKEMON SAPPHIRE Nintendo
Source: CSFB estimates based on NPD Funworld data.

Publisher Market Shares

ELECTRONIC ARTS 22.2%
ACTIVISION 14.6%
NINTENDO OF AMERICA 9.9%
TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 7.5%
ATARI 5.5%
THQ 4.8%
KONAMI OF AMERICA 3.7%
NAMCO 3.6%
SONY 3.4%
CAPCOM USA 3.0%
MICROSOFT 2.6%
UBISOFT 2.4%
VIVENDI UNIVERSAL 2.3%
MIDWAY 2.1%
MAJESCO 0.4%

human5892

Queen of Denmark
If GC is actually at 75,000 instead of what you tentatively posted...OUCH.

Xbox is not as near PS2 territory (in these past few months) as it had been (earlier this year)...I wonder if it'll continue slipping behind as the price cuts and Halo bundle fade?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sohka88 said:
What are you talking about? Last month the gap was even bigger.
Sorry -- I should've clarified that with, "In recent months." This month and last have seen the Xbox's lead drop off a bit.

I didn't mean to infer that the gap grew this month relative to last month.

Chi-Town said:
It will be interesting to see what effect this sudden PS2 shortage will have on the August numbers.

I hadn't heard about the shortage at all, but I was at Best Buy yesterday, and they had absolutely no hardware. I didn't really think much of it as that's not why i was there.

But when I heard it today, I asked the mall stores and they have no PS2's at all either, or Xbox's. They said it's been this way for over a month, with the PS2 constantly being out of stock and the Xbox being very low and sometimes running out. They've actually sold all of their preplayed systems, alot to people who actually wanted a new system.

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
I hadn't heard about the shortage at all, but I was at Best Buy yesterday, and they had absolutely no hardware. I didn't really think much of it as that's not why i was there.

But when I heard it today, I asked the mall stores and they have no PS2's at all either, or Xbox's. They said it's been this way for over a month, with the PS2 constantly being out of stock and the Xbox being very low and sometimes running out. They've actually sold all of their preplayed systems, alot to people who actually wanted a new system.

UH-OH.

Wonder when bunkum will show up..

PhatSaqs

Banned
But when I heard it today, I asked the mall stores and they have no PS2's at all either, or Xbox's
You actually called stores about a possible shortage???
xxrotflmao.gif

human5892

Queen of Denmark
This NPD is not drawing the 10,000 page thread that I am accustomed to! >_<

Somebody say something contentious, quick!

Junon

Banned
human5892 said:
This NPD is not drawing the 10,000 page thread that I am accustomed to! >_<

Somebody say something contentious, quick!

Looks like Doom is coming out for Gamecube after all.

Lukas

Banned
my numbers were close

and what is csfb? is that the same as NPD?

how do you know the numbers I posted are "fake" when they are only slightly more or less for each platform

Lukas

Banned
ok so these are estimates based on NPD data...how do you know the numbers I posted isnt the actual NPD data?

Chi-Town

Just did a little check on store websites...

Best Buy
PS2 out of stock

Circuit City(just checked for the 3 stores near me)
PS2 out of stock
Xbox at 1 store

EB
PS2 in stock. Number 1 on their best sellers. Guess we know why.

GhaleonEB

Lukas said:
my numbers were close

how do you know the numbers I posted are "fake" when they are only slightly more or less for each platform

It's the bank, Credit Swisse (sp?) First Boston. NPD does not provide hardware, at least not to the leaked sources. So the hardware comes from them, has for some time.

I feel like a Nintendo fan from January today ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/17/news_6105043.html

One disappointing figure of the month was sales of hardware units, which experienced a 7 percent decline--despite Xbox sales increasing by 47 percent due to April price cuts. The drop in unit sales was partially due to shortages of Sony’s PlayStation 2. UBS analyst Michael Wallace is more optimistic for the coming months though, citing software bundles from Nintendo and Microsoft and more inventory from Sony as a catalyst for hardware sales.

Why wasn't GAF on top of this? Both systems in short supply and not a peep until yesterday, but apparently it's been true since some time in June and still exists today.

Note: It's also technically not true as the PS2 had an increase over next year, so it can't really be it's fault that hardware sales were down. Point the finger at the big N.

Lukas said:
my numbers were close

Because the guy that made them up (who regularly makes up news just for this purpose) is bragging about all the sites that picked up his fake numbers.

Alcibiades

I've been looking through all the threads, is it 93,000 or 75,000, cause that is quite the difference...

Is there a chance NPD may be revising previous months as stores give them LTD data and they find more refined methods for extrapolating the 40% of the market they don't cover?

Top Bottom