• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer PSP, HOMEYS!

olimario

Banned
Game Watch Interviewhttp://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041115/rrs.htm

purty
rrs04.jpg
rrs05.jpg
rrs08.jpg

rrs09.jpg
rrs10.jpg

miyuru

I don't see what's so impressive, PSP is supposed to be more powerful than PS2, but it certainly doesn't look it :-\

Beezy

miyuru said:
I don't see what's so impressive, PSP is supposed to be more powerful than PS2, but it certainly doesn't look it :-\

I never knew that. I find it hard to believe that a handheld could be more powerful than a console. That's why Ridge Racer PSP impresses me so much. It's amazing that they can get graphics like that on a handheld.

Don't let Panev or whatever his name is hear you... he'll convince you otherwise, even though it's utter bull!

The game has great art, that's for sure. Technically, it's nothing impressive. The technology is at least a year old, there are more impressive handhelds out there. But they just don't have the talent behind them to push killer graphics.

Another thing... I hate that they added boosts to Ridge Racer. It makes no sense... takes some skill out of the game.

Mrbob

This will be the first racer I have bought in a long time. I must support the graphical revolution about to occur in the handheld industry.

God's Hand said:
Don't let Panev or whatever his name is hear you... he'll convince you otherwise, even though it's utter bull!

The game has great art, that's for sure. Technically, it's nothing impressive. The technology is at least a year old, there are more impressive handhelds out there. But they just don't have the talent behind them to push killer graphics.

Another thing... I hate that they added boosts to Ridge Racer. It makes no sense... takes some skill out of the game.

More impressive handhelds? Pray tell, what are they? Must know the answer...

xexex

Banned

idiot. PSP is not supposed to be more powerful than PS2. PSP is less powerful than PS2, yet, on a similar level as PS2 and in somes ways better than PS2 (not more powerful, there's a difference).....

that said, Ridge Racers is by FAR the most impressive handheld racer ever created. I dare you to show me a handheld racer that is on par with Ridge Racers, let alone more impressive.

ManaByte

Gold Member
God's Hand said:

The PSP is able to do effects in hardware that the PS2 has to do in software. That's a fact and not "utter bull".

God's Hand said:
The game has great art, that's for sure. Technically, it's nothing impressive. The technology is at least a year old, there are more impressive handhelds out there.

Pocket PCs don't really count. The PSP is out to compete against the GBA and DS, and techically speaking its a much more impressive handheld.

xexex said:
that said, Ridge Racers is by FAR the most impressive handheld racer ever created. I dare you to show me a handheld racer that is on par with Ridge Racers, let alone more impressive.

gran-turismo-4-mobile-20040930063222320.jpg

Edit: Clin McRae 2005 is looking decent as well:
tocallin-mcrae-20041111112749238.jpg

tocallin-mcrae-20041111112748160.jpg

Not really racing, but first shot of Kuju's flight sim:
kuju-buzzes-the-psp-tower-20041109051536084.jpg

lexi

Banned
Damn, nice shots, very impressive both on a technical and artistic level.

I'd be sold if I actually liked convential racers.

How can something that does somethings worse, and some things better, amount to a better product? Makes perfect sense!

And I agree... against the DS, the PSP is clearly a more powerful unit. I never considered price, which makes it even more impressive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like how people think the PSP looks crappy because it doesn't look great compared to the PS2. When you're comparing a handheld to a current gen console, you know it's pretty damn impressive

Still not sold on a PSP however. Not a graphic whore and handhelds were never about great graphics

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Those are certainly nice graphics, very impressive for a handheld. No doubt there.

Like another mentioned, I'd be more interested if it were a type of game I'd like.

I, for one, cannot wait for the PSP, it's just that the DS is just around the corner, so it's easier to be excited by that, and that the GBA is still going strong, so there's no way I can't be excited by that.

I'm sure once March wraps around, the holiday titles are beyond me, and the PSP US launch looms, I'll be more excited about the PSP. It'll help when there's more to look at than the occasional Ridge Racer or GT4 mobile screen, however. :)

hirokazu

ManaByte said:

while i agree the PSP does have some advantages over the PS2, that GT4 screenshot is simply a PS2 version screenshot used to show what it'd look like on PSP, i don't think its valid to use it as a comparison of showing of the PSP's capabilities.

I did an excite translation of this...It sounds like this game has only taken them a few months to develop:

"Kobayashi: Work was decided around February, this year and the contents of a plan were decided in about one month."

Didn't they do RRV real quick on the PS2 also?

Not surprised, I remember Namco saying they got either (or both) TTT and RRV up for the PS2 in basically six-eight months of actual dev time.

Anyways PSP looks good. As long as the battery life holds at 4 hours per charge at least, I will be there. If the Japanese launch has reports of battery going lower than that ... then I'll probably pass.

ourumov

Namco rocks. period.

Only they can push a game like this in so less time and be sure that this game would rock [graphics, gameplay-wise, OST] even at the end of PSP's life.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
God's Hand said:
The technology is at least a year old, there are more impressive handhelds out there.
Name one.

miyuru said:
PSP is supposed to be more powerful than PS2, but it certainly doesn't look it
I was under impression they were supposed to be roughly comparable. Anyway - 1st gen games to 1st gen games, they are pretty evenly matched.

seanoff

yeah i'm up for a handheld costing <$200 thats got more grunt than the PSP. And wtf do u think of the DS if these graphics aren't up to it for u??

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game has great art, that's for sure. Technically, it's nothing impressive. The technology is at least a year old, there are more impressive handhelds out there.
As other said - name one.

I was under impression they were supposed to be roughly comparable. Anyway - 1st gen games to 1st gen games, they are pretty evenly matched.
I agree. I can easily see now, that on image quality alone, RR on PSP will look better than RRV on PS2. That is considering that other visual features are all in the same ballpark, some better, somewhere worse.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
How did Sony overcome the heat issue?

What's the final word on battery life?

sohka88

Whu are people still questioning battery life? Sony DID state 4-6 hours.... Did people just chose to ignore it so they can keep making their stupid jokes?

Wario64 said:
I like how people think the PSP looks crappy because it doesn't look great compared to the PS2. When you're comparing a handheld to a current gen console, you know it's pretty damn impressive

Still not sold on a PSP however. Not a graphic whore and handhelds were never about great graphics

I agree with this post. Very nice.

If your willing to put up with the battery and heat issues.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DaCocoBrova said:
How did Sony overcome the heat issue?

I don't know if they did actually overcome it, but the final model is 10grs heavier than initially stated for that very reason.

What's the final word on battery life?

"life"

lol, ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Exactly three of them are supersampled. The other two I think are the high quality video grabs (they don't look exactly like direct feed, due to too many compression artifacts, but they are psp native resolution, with no supersampling)

Videos tell the tale though, and it looks awesome in motion. This is DOA all over again - people will complain about the supersampling, then the game ends up looking awesome anyways.

xexex

Banned
the CG teaser was 'okay' I still like RR Type 4's CG alot more, but the actual Ridge Racers game is so totally gonna smoke RR Type 4.

Top Bottom