• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Google Chrome Reverse Image Search

Celcius

°Temp. member
I heard about Robert Downey Jr being cast as Dr Doom so was reading articles about it and then I saw the cool new green Avengers logo. I wanted to see if I could find a higher resolution version to use as a wallpaper so I right-clicked it, "search image with google", and Google Lens comes up instead of the normal reverse image lookup. I thought it was strange because I disabled Google Lens previously, but then I remember that I updated Chrome yesterday. Looks like they've finally removed the workarounds/flags that used to allow you to turn Lens off and use the old reverse image search.

Have any of you been annoyed by this? How are you reverse searching images now? I have no idea why they changed this...

MayauMiao

I notice it but not bothered with it as I see no difference between Image Search and Lens. Why is it annoying?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I notice it but not bothered with it as I see no difference between Image Search and Lens. Why is it annoying?
With reverse image search I can find the exact same image in higher resolutions (or any resolution available). It shows me results sorted from higher resolution to lower resolution, what site they come from, the exact resolution, and was really good at finding the original source of something.

Google lens just shows some images that look kinda related and doesn’t let you sort by resolution (or even only look at high res results) and most of the results aren’t even the original image I searched for.

It feels like a completely different type of product, but is replacing one that worked perfectly.

ManaByte

OUGYior.jpeg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The same functionality is still there, but it also analyzes the image on top of it. Not a big deal.

Superkewl

Thanks, I just took a look but it seems like google lens rather than the original reverse image search
Sorry, been a while since a used chrome, but seems like like the way I remembered it to be. Isn't this what you meant? Make sure you are using the "Search the web for image" option and not the "Visual search" option.

search.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom