• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP to the first car I ever owned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
After 7 years of driving my 1994 Ford Taurus, aka The Polish Mobile aka The Road Warrior...it's dead. I was in accident about 3 weeks ago (some guy omitted a yield sign...I'm totally fine) and I just found out today that my car is going to get written off.

Now I'm looking for a used car, probably within the $3500 range. It will be the first car that I will officially own under my name. Also going to get insurance under my name for the first time as well.

Anyhoo, any cars/brand names I should stay away from? Anything you might recommend for a guy looking for a used car?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Honda and Toyota if you don't want the car mechanic to know you well.

Acura = Luxury Honda
Lexus = Luxury Toyota

So they're also good.

Stay away from Kia, Hundai (sp?), Ford, and others. They make their cars cheap on purpose so you have to buy more frequently.

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/usedcars.htm

Alucard

Banned
Right now I'm leaning towards something like a Civic since it's cheap on gas. 4 doors is a must for me since I can't stand 2...although I rarely have more than 2 people in my car. Hmm. I've been looking at autotrader.ca and I would want this beauty if I knew shit about cars and could afford the mileage...

06-25-04wrb01-07.jpeg

1959 Buick Lesabre

Only $4000 Canadian!

Socreges

Banned
I'm in a similar situation. My car was stolen just under a month ago. They recovered it a couple weeks ago and last week I found out that the damage was severe enough that they'd just write the car off. I got a cheque, cancelled my insurance, and am now car-less. However, I actually prefer this. It's healthier [biking/walking] and more relaxing. I lose time, but I more than make that up by reading/studying on the skytrain or bus.

Alucard

Banned
I would consider that route too if I could actually bus it to work or school. I have to go to a completely different city for both though. :-\

Nikashi

Banned
I'd throw that money into a down payment on a newer model. Maybe a later model Civic or even an Accord. You can find a good late 90's car and have fairly small payments

Alucard

Banned
Nikashi said:
I'd throw that money into a down payment on a newer model. Maybe a later model Civic or even an Accord. You can find a good late 90's car and have fairly small payments

Seriously, I just can't afford it. Between paying for school, spending about $60 a week to get TO school, and then having a little spending cash for myself each week, it just wouldn't be economically feasible for me. Maybe after my next car.

Hmm...Civics suck for insurance huh? I must do some research...

SickBoy

I wouldn't rule out Nissan either. By some wacky coincidence, my wife and I both had Nissan Sentras as our first cars.

Mine was an 85 and I kept it for a good three years. I got rid of it after some asshole smashed my back window in the middle of the night. Knowing it needed some work I didn't want to pay for in addition to the window, I foolishly sold it and bought another car (a used American car) to replace it. That car seemed to disintegrate around me, which sucked... knowing that the Nissan would have lasted longer if I'd put the work into it. My brother-in-law bought it and wrecked it in a hurry, though. :(

The bigger shame was that he junked it, and we definitely could have salvaged some bits and pieces to go into my wife's car.

My wife's Sentra was an 83 and it was still going until three years ago, when she got a new car. She bought it for a hundred bucks and it was cheap to run... and insure (this may be different now, particularly with what's happened to insurance rates in a lot of provinces).

EDIT 2: My wife's Sentra still ran fine when she got rid of it, I should note... since the "until" might have implied it was now dead.

Someone up here has the exact same car I had except in blue. I see it all the time and it sparks fond memories of my old car.

EDIT: A guy I work with has a newer model Sentra -- around '90 and he's had a lot of good luck with it as well.

-SB

fart

Savant
depends on your area. consult a better car forum. what you can get for that little (3500 CAN HOLY CRAP that's like nothing dude) is really regional, that and luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom