• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of Nations: SWEET SEXHURT THIS GAME ROCKS

Man, why didn't you slobbering Kojima-fellating punks tell me this game kicked so much ass?

(well, okay, MAF told me it rocked, but I was AOE2'd out at the time)

The dynamic, RISK-like campaign is awesome. It's like AOE2, but with nukes and fighter jets. There's nothing more satisfying than hitting the Industrial Age while the AI is still getting into the Medieval -- TANKS VERSUS PIKEMEN, OH MY.

Awesome stuff.

jedimike

I saw on X-play that an expansion was out (or coming out soon) for it. Adam was all excited and gave it a 5/5... he said it was the first perfect score for an expansion pack.

element

Drinky Crow said:
Man, why didn't you slobbering Kojima-fellating punks tell me this game kicked so much ass?

(well, okay, MAF told me it rocked, but I was AOE2'd out at the time)

The dynamic, RISK-like campaign is awesome. It's like AOE2, but with nukes and fighter jets. There's nothing more satisfying than hitting the Industrial Age while the AI is still getting into the Medieval -- TANKS VERSUS PIKEMEN, OH MY.

Awesome stuff.
and you call yourself a company man!!!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So do you not read read the mag you occasionnally write for? Around the time of this game's release, Tom Chick and that Brian fellow put out a very revealing segment about the innerworkings of this game by recording and testifying minutes of their own sessions. Quite an effective article that went beyond the near perfect-scored review to deliver all the good, bad, and ugly of the gameplay in a very innocuous yet entertaining read...

Almost sold me on the game right the and there, but well....RTS games can lick my balls. Still this does sound like the best one out there, particularly the love given to Thrones and Patriots.

Rhage

Agreed 100%. Excellent game. If you like RTS at all, you will love it and NEED it in your collection.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
yeah it is great for a while, doesnt age well though, even in the expansion all the single player missions end up feeling the same after one play through.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Ghost said:
yeah it is great for a while, doesnt age well though, even in the expansion all the single player missions end up feeling the same after one play through.
Yup I felt the same way.

andthebeatgoeson

Drinky Crow said:

Awesome stuff.

That's why I bought it (a random game that I saw at Best Buy; ended up buying it because of the pics on the back). It's AOE but with nukes. Too bad the AI doesn't let you skip to far ahead of them. There's a part of me that wants to level the computer's huts with a few ICBMs. I would call it America's Army. Oh wait...

Brandon F

Ghost said:

Yea, the 'RACE TO TEKNOLYZE!!!' is definately the most prodding aspect I find in most of these games.

RoN seems to have a good deal of fun with it though, but sadly the biggest strike against it seems to be that EVERY single session seemingly involves rushing that quick path to modern tech before your opposition can, which ultimately sounds pretty lame. But this won't blemish the fun of skirmish/multiplayer gamers since well...you get to pwnzor someone while doing it.

Thankfully this is a world where Disciples 2 still lives and breeds on current hardware specs for the rest of us.

Brandon F

Back on subject: I have been wondering how closely this game stays within the confines of reality...

I mean can you ever grow into the future and start using mechs or laserbeams?

Rhage

Didn't age well? In what respect? I just started playing the expansion and think it looks pretty damn good at a nice high res, and stays at a high frame rate.

And gameplay wise, for RTS, it definitely hasn't been bested yet.

andthebeatgoeson

Brandon F said:
Back on subject: I have been wondering how closely this game stays within the confines of reality...

I mean can you ever grow into the future and start using mechs or laserbeams?

Naw, it pretty much ends up with the modern age: Stealth Bombers, Apache-like Helicopters, tanks, ICBM and Nukes, etc.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Rhage said:
Didn't age well? In what respect? I just started playing the expansion and think it looks pretty damn good at a nice high res, and stays at a high frame rate.

And gameplay wise, for RTS, it definitely hasn't been bested yet.

Well firstly ive gotta disagree, it doesnt look nice at all, Look at Generals, thats a nice looking RTS. But that isnt what i meant by ageing well. I meant that it gets OLD in terms of what you have to do, theres loads of missions, but (barring the 'Attack, you cant build any more units') missions they all involve just racing to get the best tech then attacking. Its not the kind of RTS you can play skirmishes with over and over (like say TA or Starcraft), because every battle ends up the same (unless you like that of course). That might be down to the AI but i personally think its the mechanics.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Awesome game.

But it seriously lacks in online play. Constant lag, and the framerate goes in sync with other players connections. So you can have an awesome computer and have annoying lag. People drop constantly. Only about 60-80 people play online at a time. And a lot are picky asses.

I play as Colonel_Lingus and I've been booted from host rooms because i'm a "noob". I have a 60% win ratio. That's not bad considering about 10% of games just don't make it all and go down as loses.

I've also been booted because i'm an 'expert'. I guess winning with 40-50% of the map in a 4vs4 sticks in people's minds. I do that occasionally. Romans + Collesum + Red Fort + about 10 Forts = territory pwnage.

Top Bottom