• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robocop - Amazon TV series

Gp1

‘Robocop’ TV Series at Amazon Sets Peter Ocko as Showrunner, James Wan to Produce​

The “Robocop” TV series in development at Amazon is starting to take shape.

Variety has learned that Peter Ocko has boarded the project to serve as writer, executive producer and showrunner. In addition, James Wan is set to executive produce under his Atomic Monster banner.

The official logline for the series states, “A giant tech conglomerate collaborates with the local police department to introduce a technologically advanced enforcer to combat rising crime — a police officer who’s part man, part machine.”

Along with Ocko and Wan, Michael Clear and Rob Hackett of Atomic Monster will also executive produce. Danielle Bozzone is overseeing the project for Atomic Monster. The series is produced by Amazon MGM Studios.

The “Robocop” series has been in the early development stages since Amazon acquired MGM, with Amazon looking to capitalize on their access to MGM’s deep IP library for both film and television projects. Amazon is also currently prepping a “Legally Blonde” prequel series, with MGM having produced that film as well, while a “Poltergeist” project recently set its showrunners.

The “Robocop” franchise kicked off in 1987 with the first “Robocop” film starring Peter Weller as the titular half man, half machine law enforcement officer. Weller returned for the sequel in 1990, with Robert Burke taking over the role for “Robocop 3” in 1993. Nancy Allen starred in all three films as Officer Anne Lewis. A reboot starring Joel Kinnaman was released in 2014. There have also been multiple “Robocop” TV shows to date, including two animated and two live-action shows, as well as video games and comic books.

Ocko has written for a wide variety of shows in his career, including “Dinosaurs,” “Dead Like Me,” “Pushing Daisies,” “Black Sails,” “The Office,” and “Lodge 49.” Most recently, he created the AMC series “Moonhaven.”

Ocoko is repped by Jackoway Austen Tyerman and Manage-ment. Wan is repped by CAA, Stacey Testro International, and Myman Greenspan Fox.

Huge fan of the first Robocop and how tight that movie is, but i don't know how i feel about this.

It could be a great series if Amazon sticks with the that gritty 80's timeline and given what they did with Fallout but I know how much the franchise was hit by cash-grabs, so...

Last edited:
amazon tv series
its a no from me dawg GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good grief, I thought an "Omnicorp" based show was greenlit and in development YEARS AGO. You mean to say they JUST NOW hired a showrunner??? Good grief, it's gonna be 2 years before we see anything!

Just take the Robocop Rogue City script and use that, seriously. It has all the memberberries you want and is a good base to move forward.

ZehDon

Remember that scene in Robocop 2, where the OCP suits are rattling off the inane things they want Robocop to do when they're reprogramming him? That's what I imagine happens at Amazon whenever they make a new show.

"And then Galadriel slides in with two swords and kills the ice troll!"
"Ok, but can we end the scene with her making a statement about Trump's immigration policy?"

Gp1

Good grief, I thought an "Omnicorp" based show was greenlit and in development YEARS AGO. You mean to say they JUST NOW hired a showrunner??? Good grief, it's gonna be 2 years before we see anything!

Just take the Robocop Rogue City script and use that, seriously. It has all the memberberries you want and is a good base to move forward.

From what i read on another site, the series will focus on OCP first, without Robocop.

Rogue City plot is great, until the Robocop 2 "arc" pulled out of Nacon's ass to wrap thing up. But at least they respected the movies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
From what i read on another site, the series will focus on OCP first, without Robocop
“Let’s spend millions on a RoboCop series… without RoboCop!”

Is this coming from the masterminds that thought out a Halo series with a mostly unmasked Master Chief because of course people needed to see his human side and personal dramas in Halo more than anything? Sigh…

Mahnmut

After what they did to the Terminator franchise (the terrible Terminator Zero) I have zero reason to have a good feeling about this one.

JCK75

I'm skeptical when I see Amazon but the choice of writer is a solid one as is James Wan... this could be good.

Facism

will it actually be available on Prime or locked behind an additional MGM sub through Prime?

Super annoying that they bought MGM and that shit still persists.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The plot should be robo cops are a way to defund the police, but they lack the ability to protect and serve the people, they protect and serve the corporations except for one original robo cop played by Peter Weller. HE restores the police, the love of the people and destroys Disney.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1

jason10mm

Gold Member
The plot should be robo cops are a way to defund the police, but they lack the ability to protect and serve the people, they protect and serve the corporations except for one original robo cop played by Peter Weller. HE restores the police, the love of the people and destroys Disney.
That was the gist of the robocop remake, wasn't it? They had military police bots for use overseas and wanted them to be used in the US and Robocop was 'designed' to be a failure to show that the human bits were unnecessary? Might be a bit vague about the plot, only saw that flick once.

In our current environment of megacorps that have insidious control over many aspects of life, be REAL curious about the angle they take. I've a sneaking suspicion OCP will more resemble a MAGA company (or at least a blue hairs impression of what such a company would be like) rather than something like the ACTUAL shenanigans at Boeing or the ACTUAL manipulations coming from Alphabet, Meta, Apple, or MS.

Even watching the OG film, as an adult, you kinda side with OCP. They want to bulldoze all the decrepit slums and put up nice new construction to revitalize the city. What's wrong with that? :p

Reactions: Gp1

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Even watching the OG film, as an adult, you kinda side with OCP. They want to bulldoze all the decrepit slums and put up nice new construction to revitalize the city. What's wrong with that? :p

This is actually a good thing. Gentrification in the 80s.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is actually a good thing. Gentrification in the 80s.
Involuntary gentrification perhaps. I think the somewhat unsaid part of OCPs plan was the poor people living there would "go away" and frat boys would move into the luxury units.

Kinda like when Amazon wanted to build a massive 50,000 person hub in NYC and it was blocked. The income those jobs brought would drive up rent and drive out the "local poor" based on the assumption they would have no role to play or ability to get hired into those Amazon jobs (or feed off all the lunch, transport, and delivery gigs it brought in as well).

Funny thing is Detroit NOW could be had for a song because it has stretches that are largely deserted, wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if one of these mega tech companies buys up a few hundred acres of Detroit real estate and build a massive city they own over the rubble.

Gp1

That was the gist of the robocop remake, wasn't it? They had military police bots for use overseas and wanted them to be used in the US and Robocop was 'designed' to be a failure to show that the human bits were unnecessary? Might be a bit vague about the plot, only saw that flick once.

In our current environment of megacorps that have insidious control over many aspects of life, be REAL curious about the angle they take. I've a sneaking suspicion OCP will more resemble a MAGA company (or at least a blue hairs impression of what such a company would be like) rather than something like the ACTUAL shenanigans at Boeing or the ACTUAL manipulations coming from Alphabet, Meta, Apple, or MS.

The fact that they are demolishing Old Detroit with people inside and using tanks is just a detail :p.

Top Bottom