• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romain Jerome Super Mario Bros. Watch. Price: $18,950, 85 pieces made

Tripon

With the release of this limited edition Romain Jerome Super Mario Bros. watch everything has finally come full circle for me when it comes to my relationship with luxury "nostalgia" watches. I once smirked sarcastically when people bought watches that reminded them of their favorite 1960s and 1970s era race car driving heroes and I rolled my eyes as brands sought to charge high prices for gimmicky "collectible" watches inspired by historic events. Sure, sometimes those timepieces were very cool items, but would consumers really want to get them mostly for their nostalgic value?

Like all of Romain Jerome's video game-inspired watches (there is also a Tetris watch), the Romain Jerome Super Mario Bros. timepiece comes in a Moon Invader-style case which is 46mm wide in PVD-coated black titanium. The "feet-style" lugs move with the strap to help form a better fit on your wrist.

The dial is produced using an interesting three-layer technique meant to create a "pixel" look which I've always found to be really cool in person. Super Mario, along with a mushroom, cloud, and bush, are all three-dimensional pixel-style figurines on the dial and brightly colored in enamel. Of course, I could wish for things like dial animation or other "movement," but even in static form, the dial looks great. All that you have to distract you from the Super Mario scene are the hour and minute hands.

I don't think Romain Jerome is going to have too much trouble finding 85 people around the world with money to spend and fond memories of playing Super Mario Bros. as a youth in the 1980s. It amazes me how much of what I grew up with from video games to cartoons and toys are still such a big part of culture today in 2015. I suppose that makes me lucky, since I get to feel like a kid much longer. But it will take some adult money to purchase the limited edition of 85 pieces reference RJ.M.AU.IN.011.01 Romain Jerome Super Mario Bros. watch that has a price of $18,950.
SSOzenW.png

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/romain-jerome-super-mario-bros-watch/

Zomba13

I've never understood the price of watches being so high.

I mean, I assume that a good old fashioned Swiss watch has a billion special tiny gears and bits that make it special but like, this one in the OP just doesn't look nice. It's not like a shiny gold Rolex or something that screams "look at me, I have money". It says "look at me I'm a geek and like tacky looking wrist wear!". I guess it might go well with a SMB t-shirt and 1-up mushroom shaped backpack.

ash_ag

People who buy this probably don't realise the shocking secret they'll have to carry on their wrist.

THE BUSH AND THE CLOUD ARE THE SAME SPRITE!! 😱

Choosing modern colors so the retro colors revision will be like triple the price

Heh, true.

They're not even using his original red overalls and blue undershirt design:

jumpman.jpg

dkcabinetgraphics.jpg

Super+Mario+Bros+Famicom.png

cover_large.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

cover_large.jpg

eGU1ejBuMTI_o_super-mario-bros-super-show-plumbers-academy.jpg

Instead they are just retconning classic Mario with the blue overalls and red undershirt design that appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3 and onwards.

Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Top Bottom