• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose Tint my GAF (aka, Why do we thrive on Negativity?)

YCoCg

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now but kept forgetting but once again another thread going over the same stuff has reminded to do so.

Over the past year or so there's one thing I've noticed about NeoGAF that's sadly become the new norm and that's we apparently absolutely thrive on negativity whether it's in regards to movies, games, TV shows, etc. We always have threads complaining about the current state of things and yet people constantly avoid the very things they claim they want. Why is this? Have we become so jaded that we just simply prefer to complain about things opposed to talking about things we like or find interesting? Now I know what some of you might jump to, "Why don't you make the threads yourself then?", and actually I have tried that, and majority of the time we're lucky if a thread about something positive or unique gets to a second or third page, meanwhile insert controversial thing gets multiple upon multiple pages of activity.

We always get threads talking about how much better things were in the past without a hint of irony whilst these people ignore or refuse to acknowledge that these eras also had trash and multiple sequels and spin offs, but we simply just don't remember them compared to the things that have stood the test of time and the things that we look back on fondly. The best case of this is that we have people now even talking about the 2010s being a better era from the younger generation, like I'm sorry but WHAT?

So I ask you fellow gaffers, why are things this way? We do we complain about TikTok videos but NOT post content from creators who stick to old school methods like L.A. Beast? Why do threads about "woke" and "diversity" span tens of pages when threads about unique games barely get off the ground? Why do we talk about TV shows we hate watch every week and argue with each other about how bad it is or how worse it is getting when threads about genuinely good TV shows have like two pages of activity?

It feels like over time we're also falling into the trap of being conditioned into being negative as it generates more responses and more activity, it feels like some posters are forever in jaded mode because they know people will argue with them whilst nice or positive posts are overlooked. It just feels tiring at times looking on this forum and my first thought is usually "let's see what you guys hate today" instead of seeing threads about cool things or stuff you actually enjoy. For example EviLore made a thread the other day about Gunpla models, I'm not interested in that stuff but it's nice seeing the posts about this subject with other members having a back and forth about what they have in their collections and how they build theirs.

I'm interested in reading other peoples thoughts about this, what has you experience of the mood on the forums been lately? Is there anything you agree or disagree with? Do you think we should make more of an effort to post about things we enjoy and are passionate about?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
God this thread sucks. What ever happened to well thought out threads with clear discussion points.
/s

Hrk69

tw8432Y.jpeg

Here's some positivity

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Yea, unfortunately it has killed nearly all movie and TV threads (my favorite kinds) because so many posters do not discuss the actual film or show, but rather complain about them or post repeat non sequiturs. Which is really bad when the same posters keep posting the negative off topic stuff every single week even when they claim they stopped watching it, or that they're not going to watch some upcoming movie.

I've had to ignore way more users than I'd like just so that the movie and TV threads are readable and appear on topic and interesting.

tw8432Y.jpeg

Here's some positivity

Don't know man

- Tits are too big, hate it when they flap left and right or fall to the sides while on top when having sex, also, best breast size is the one that fits in your hands , what am supposed to do with those melons ? Turn into Shaq as to be able to feel them properly ?

- What if...they're not real and instead are silicone ones ?

- Those lips ? they're too big compared to the rest of the facial features, 6/10 at best.

- Nose bridge ? too long and big

- Fake eyebrows.

- There's clearly some puffyness going on under the eyes, if I wanted puffy, I'd just grab a bag of marshmallows.

- Fake blonde

- Arm tattoo ? Fucking yuck bro.

Final score 6.8/10

Fuck your positivity

Dr. Claus

Banned
Negativity drives clicks and once you start in a negative spiral, its hard to break out of.

It doesn't help that most of us are older and continue to see our childhood favorites butchered, ruined, and taken over by people who don't care and only want to use it as a vehicle for their own egos. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Game Design, etc. It is all too easy to see things you used to love and want to continue to love being treated in such disdainful ways.

It is something I know I need to break away from at times. May need to start making threads on older titles like THIEF and the like, so people can be reminded of when games were actually good.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
If it matters, when I post negatively, I try to be more constructive about it and expand on my thoughts. Not all the time, but I am giving it much more effort than before. :messenger_sunglasses:
I want to comment on more cultural topics and entertainment, but all I have are negative thoughts, so, I try to refrain from posting, unless I really feel I need to projectile vomit my point out!

Otherwise, I just take it easy and have fun with some of the people here. This place is laidback AF, minus the occasional shitstorm.

Hrk69

Don't know man

- Tits are too big, hate it when they flap left and right or fall to the sides while on top when having sex, also, best breast size is the one that fits in your hands , what am supposed to do with those melons ? Turn into Shaq as to be able to feel them properly ?

- Those lips ? they're too big compared to the rest of the facial features, 6/10 at best.

- Fake eyebrows.

- There's clearly some puffyness going on under the eyes, if I wanted puffy, I'd just grab a bag of marshmallows.

- Fake blonde

Final score 6.8/10

Fuck your positivity
Oh No Dancing GIF by NBC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Internet has always been like this. its not something new. You just have to lead the charge and post the way you want others to post.

I did chuckle at the thread about everything being sequels and remakes because we have had a lot of really good original movies release this year that were ignored by the masses. Completely flopped at the theaters. Agent Argyle, Civil War, Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, fall Guy, Horizon and others but people just went and saw their sequels and remakes instead. Even Furiosa, a prequel flopped at the theaters because no one goes to see good movies anymore.

We are just lazy and its easier to sit and complain. im guilty of this too.

That said, the state of the gaming industry is not that great, and this year has been a rough one after a fairly decent year last year. I still buy and play most of the games so its not like im spending $70 just to be able to bitch about something. However, ive seen people just constantly get off on being negative. I see this in the graphics thread where yes, we had a rough couple of years full of cross gen games, but things really improved last year. A lot of people in that thread however continued to downplay the graphics. even hellblade 2 which is literally photorealistic during cutscenes is shat on for some bizarre reasons. i know it sucks as a game but can we at least appreciate the graphics?

be the change you want to be. If you see a good movie or tv show, or play something truly unique, keep making those threads. I will see it. and others like you will see it. internet is a place that brings likeminded people together. i swear im literally the only one in my friends and brothers who plays video games. i thought i was the only one until i joined forums in 2000. im sure there are others who feel the way you do. just dont get discouraged and keep on posting.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I feel exactly the same way. I’ve been trying to steer clear of drama threads, and I generally try to be positive here, but you’re right that it’s not the same.

That being said, I don’t think this is a problem isolated to GAF. I feel like the discourse on the internet, in general, has become incredibly vitriolic. It’s been steadily getting worse, too.

Things like the negative-reinforcing algorithms of social media and the general state of the world (possibly accelerated by the pandemic) have really shifted humanity away from each other. I know that sounds dramatic and dire, but that’s just what I’ve been feeling for the past few years.

And I think the most depressing part of all of this is that I don’t see how or why it would get any better. It’s a bummer.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Internet has always been like this. its not something new.
This right here.

I have my own filters of what threads I will look at or ignore.
I always stay away from subjects I don't like. No point in shitposting.
I avoid politics and religion.

I come in here to be informed, entertained and to relax.
There's enough hate in this world we don't need it here 🤠

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
This right here.

I have my own filters of what threads I will look at or ignore.
I always stay away from subjects I don't like. No point in shitposting.
I avoid politics and religion.

I come in here to be informed, entertained and to relax.
There's enough hate in this world we don't need it here 🤠

This is why I like BlueSky so much. They have added so many ways to curate your feed to only things you want to see and discuss that it's ridiculous. Now that I've added my feeds, muted words and hashtags, configured my NSFW settings, and muted enough accounts showing furry shit and fat dudes in speedos, I almost never see content or users I would never care for. BlueSky in its current incarnation is a godsend for microblogging.

I've also recently gotten into tumblr but genz humor is fucking out there. And I have always enjoyed absurdist humor. I guess this is what getting old feels like.

Boozeroony

It is so much easier being a cynic than being loving/caring. I fall into the trap of negativity all the time and it makes me more miserable. Once I have the courage to be more open, less judgemental, I have much better encounters with other people. Cynicism breeds cynicism, especially online.

Let's all be 10% more open and caring, 10% less judgemental and reactive. See how that works out.

Toots

Gold Member
One of the conundrums of Neogaf is, since it's a place of free speech, you cannot boot someone just for being a negative cunt. Gaffers need to be the change they want themselves to be.

In a world of such mediocre mainstream entertainment media offer, it's hard not to want to shit on everything churned out of big media corps distended anus. Still we can find pleasurable stuff (thinking about gundam stop motion vids, or even the "what beats rock" website), and if we make topics to share those cool things positivity will rise.
Im guilty of posting uber negative stuff about certain topics (Kojima, Druckmann, to name a few). In my mind, the things i say are so outlandish no one could really take them seriously, but it's not the case...
Even if im trying to be funny, negativity attracts negativity. People hold grudges, especially when they are from countries were power outage are the norm so they can't enjoy gaf as much as they want, or when their husband is on their ass so much they can't even find the time to find the comb they lost long ago, let alone enjoy life...

Having said that, when i give my genuine opinion on a subject, i try to be the most constructive and benevolent that i can be, and to give good advice. That's all that matter to me.

edit :
since no one put it

Long live Neogaf, and long live each one of you for making me laugh !

LjW9WAQ.jpeg

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Because negative outrage clickbait is all people consume now.

Whenever someone posts a link to back up their negativity it's from a culture war outrage clickbait site like Bounding Into Comics, That Park Place, or Inside the Magic. If that's all people read and use that to form their opinions, that's the only thing they'll repeat.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And another thing, anyone who tries to be positive is dogpiled by the negativity mob until they don't even want to bother posting anymore.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
This has been bothering me too. Its hard to find spaces where there is genuine enthusiasm. Cant go anywhere without complaining.

Criticism is fine and should be expected. But it feels like people like talking more about what they dont like tham what they do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's human nature for people to call out negativity. That's because we all know and have seen the awesome stuff. So people like to compare. If one person or product or company can be pretty good, why cant the others?

If everything in life was humming along great, there would be nothing to really call out.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yea, unfortunately it has killed nearly all movie and TV threads (my favorite kinds) because so many posters do not discuss the actual film or show, but rather complain about them or post repeat non sequiturs. Which is really bad when the same posters keep posting the negative off topic stuff every single week even when they claim they stopped watching it, or that they're not going to watch some upcoming movie.

I've had to ignore way more users than I'd like just so that the movie and TV threads are readable and appear on topic and interesting.

I believe that threads like “The Acolyte” and similar discussions might be better suited for the Community Forum after some time. This would allow those who enjoy such shows to discuss them in relative peace.

Star Wars has always been a contentious topic, and this is especially true now. Having these threads in the main off-topic forum is likely to attract more robust discussions.

Sometimes there's negativity for a reason and excessive positivity can be just as grating. I've said my piece in that Acolyte thread so I'll leave it at that.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Life is a constant catastrophe. Most of us here in the west are struggling in this economy. Huge amounts of debt. Insufficient savings for retirement. Many will never own a home. Then you have climate change... Shitty politicians... The list goes on. It's hard to complety forget about that and just talk about the things you love. I at least try to have a sense of humor about it when I post but it's rough out there with little hope of things improving.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Life is a constant catastrophe. Most of us here in the west are struggling in this economy. Huge amounts of debt. Insufficient savings for retirement. Many will never own a home. Then you have climate change... Shitty politicians... The list goes on. It's hard to complety forget about that and just talk about the things you love. I at least try to have a sense of humor about it when I post but it's rough out there with little hope of things improving.
When money's on the line, it'll always be rightly justified as something to vent about. Nobody likes to get ripped off, whether it's rising taxes, a clunker car or a bag of shitty stale cookies. And even if something that doesn't cost any money really (spending time on the couch streaming a TV show), if it sucks they just lost a few hours.

Problem is there's lots of junk out there wasting people's money and time.

Also, I think it's human nature for people to vent to try to protect other people from buying/enduring the same thing. Even if they dont know it's random people on the net. If a TV show or cake they bought sucks, they want to rag on it because not only did they burned with it, but they want to prevent others from getting burned too.

near

Gold Member
Not sure I see it the same way OP. You'll always find opposing opinions shared in the same said negative threads you talk about, and users still create threads about things they enjoy. Sure thread interaction with topics with negative outlooks are often high, but that's because they tend to generate the most talking points. This specific thread itself falls into the same category of threads you complain about and your reason for creating it is just as valid as those that have come before. I would personally like to see more effort from users in terms of discussion and staying within topic as I feel like some users just don't respect old thread rules anymore, but overall I don't really have an issue per se with users creating threads to vent about things so long as they make an effort to engage in discussion.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mostly use negative stuff to make people laugh so i use evil to do good.

Of course i can be pretty negative myself but i try to balance out with some humor.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
There cant be good without bad and there cant be bad without good. Simple as that. Both are mandatory in life. I wish I had more good in life though, but the only good I have is that it isnt bad.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

frankly I don’t agree. I think gaf is actually pretty positive on most things. There are a few things (Star wars as an example) that drive people bananas but I’d like to think it is because they care about it a bunch and want it to be better.

The community as a whole is helpful and polite and when they aren’t stealing lunches at work, will help. As an example, I got into 40K just recently and post a ton in the OT. No one has ever complained (I probably post there too much) and when I ask for help or suggestions I always get good positive stuff.

Look at the thread on Agatha. It has lots of cautious optimism but that is only because Disney has made some really bad choices for marvel in recent years, but even with all that, they are still optimistic.

When someone steps out of line, they are called on it.

I don’t see Gaf as negative at all, invested in lots of stuff that keeps breaking their hearts for sure, but still invested and hoping for better.

The glass is definitely half full here, not half empty.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think this is because shitposting for likes is more immediately rewarding than constructive criticism and actual discussion. It's time consuming to come up with a well reasoned and researched critique of "a thing" and then sit through 30 responses that are just memes, "you suck and yo mama sucks...me off every night!", or complete tangent insults.

Plus a lot of pop culture these days is addressing a very diverse and fractured audience. 20, 15, even 10 years ago a show like The Witcher would have had ONE audience locked into their sights....the horny straight white male. All the women on the show would have been naked half the time, all the cast would have been straight from the Scandinavian/Eastern europe casting pool, and only Geralt's opinion on things would matter. This would have gone over MASSIVE with the straight white male audience and quite a few straight femmes that just drool at Cavills pecs. It would have been hard to complain about it outside of the "it's all white people" and "where are the gays?" stuff that has been directed at EVERYTHING in recent years and while those are criticisms, I don't think they are particularly valid for that specific IP.

Anyway, a show like that could have generated a lot of positive buzz and discussion, basically like what GoT had, or other shows from that period. IMHO its the redirect of SWM IPs towards non-SWM audiences that has really fed this negativity loop because the old audience isn't feeling the love and the 'new' audiences aren't really that present to step in and replace the SWMs. Particularly when this happens also across the board, seemingly simultaneously in a forced fashion that FEELS like an outside agenda, it gets the hackles up for sure.

But yeah, we could do with a bit more "hey, I'm glad you liked it, I did like this part about it......" (and then keep the stuff you didn't like to yourself).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you look at communities around the internet, subreddits, Facebook groups, other forums, etc., they will lap up the worst irredeemable garbage and claim that only “chuds” are critical of it with enormous insular hostility. And in many cases these platforms, or commentators, are funded by the corporations producing the swill. That’s the level of discourse lately. So, it’s fine to call out things for what they are. Important, even.

But there’s lots of good stuff too that should also get attention. It’s important to have balance so that discussions don’t become miserable.

Wildebeest

With youtube the algorithm will lock you into a type of content pretty quickly. So if you watch a few videos where people are negative about media you will get a wall of recommended videos where people are negative about media. I'm not so sure if certain stories are right about negative content just doing better, but it might be the case for a channel which the youtube algorithm has bucketed as a channel that makes videos about being cynical about the pokemon company then any video they make which isn't them being negative about the pokemon company will not get recommended and get views.

I guess what I'm saying is that we are in an information environment where we are encouraged to form these habits and get stuck in a rut. We are easier to manage and control that way.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't know man

- Fake eyebrows.

- Fake blonde

Final score 6.8/10

Fuck your positivity
I actually agree with this 🤔
I straight up ignore those types which in turn get their attention more ironically.
Give me girls pre Kardashian any day.
As for the OP, I am the Master of the Hype Train.
I would love nothing but hype and positivity.
It's just doesn't exist at the moment.
And when you expect better from some (insert person, company, brand) it really does anger you more.
Look at Disney, they use to shit out gold.
Every release was worth your time.
Now they're really are shitting out shit.

YCoCg

I do agree that it's a general problem with most of the internet in it's current state and I am thankful that GAF is more of a chill place me, trust me I don't want it to be like other places where people are waiting to dogpile for having a slightly different opinion on something!

Just at the same time I point out GAF because it is the community I visit most and take part in and I don't want to see it sink into constant negativity, as pointed out the world is negative enough! I'd just like to see more effort put into posting about things you guys like, no matter how niche it is, share your joys, it's always nice to read things going well for other people, etc.

But yeah, we could do with a bit more "hey, I'm glad you liked it, I did like this part about it......"
And also this.

edit :
since no one put it
I'm glad the reference wasn't lost 🤪

I am the Master of the Hype Train.
I remember those old hype train threads! Shit was fun to read, especially when people started posting edits of GIFs and memes. I do sometimes wonder if that's a reason too since this generation has been stretched out, not much hype for new consoles and the GPU space being priced up, sort of deflates the potential hype, not to mention the lack of E3, the piss poor streaming only events, etc.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember those old hype train threads! Shit was fun to read, especially when people started posting edits of GIFs and memes. I do sometimes wonder if that's a reason too since this generation has been stretched out, not much hype for new consoles and the GPU space being priced up, sort of deflates the potential hype, not to mention the lack of E3, the piss poor streaming only events, etc.
It's exactly that, the amount of Trains that have crashed and burned in the last 4 years 😞

Top Bottom