• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Area 51 (2005) Fun Game!

wpH8Oz4.jpg

Tm3RYOz.jpg

Not to be confused with Blacksite Area 51 or the old LightGun game. Area 51 from 2005 by Midway Austin was
a first person shooter. You played from the perspective of Ethan Cole who is voiced by David Duchovny. Your
Hazmat team is sent into Area 51 to help clean up a mutagenic virus in the compound. While there, many dark
Government secrets are unearthed!​

73kLJO.gif

L9R82D.gif

I first played this game back in 2005 when it released for the PlayStation 2. I remember how
great the atmopshere was. I was totally into the whole Alien thing when I was a kid and this
game didn't dissapoint. Excellent weapons and gunplay. Ranging from Military style weapons to mysterious Alien ones.
Dual wield pretty much everything, horrifying creature and alien design and a game thats still very much self aware.
I thought the ability to mutate into one of the creatures and fire parasites really added a second dimension to the
combat and also gave the ability to go some melee. The game also featured great local and Broadband multiplayer on PC
and console.​

jRPqmR.gif

zpoKNq.gif

Looking back the game has some pretty cool voice acting cast. David Duchovny,
Marilyn Manson, Powers Boothe. I mean the game has gotta be creepy with
Manson voicing an all empowered ancient Grey right?​

zuJ8sca.jpg

nNRLv4U.jpg

I recently came back to the game, but this time on PC. And i still think the game holds
up very well as far as gameplay goes. You can always turn on abunch of eye candy on the PC
version to help with its 2005 visuals. Still a inque looking game. Best part? This game
is freakin freeware now! I couldn't believe it. I really miss Midway and games like this.
Does anyone have any memories from this game?

(game required me to install the V1.02 patch for it to Launch in Windows 7)

J6Rq1y.gif

Corpsepyre

Banned
I had a lot of fun with this and Darkwatch back in the day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Area 51 written by comics legend, Grant Morrison?

JAGMASK

Loved this game when I was younger. Tried returning to it recently on ps2 but the frame rate was so much choppier than I remembered. I'm gonna try the PC version for sure now though. My favourite part was discovering the fake moon landing set!

Jawmuncher

Never played it much beyond the rental I had. I do remember all of the marketing and buzz for it prior to release on magazines though. Midway was making a lot of good stuff around that time (psi ops and the suffering coming to mind).

Rolodzeo

Amazing game, I bought a sealed copy for ps2 a few years ago and plan to double dip on pc as soon as I can.

Edit: Also, check this fan-made patch/mod that adds multicore support, fixes fov, etc.

21GunShow

Neo Member
Downloaded it but I can't seem to find a working download for the required patch from any non-sketchy looking sites. Bummer.

Yeah, I never finished it, but I really enjoyed it on the PS2.
After only ever seeing David Duchovny on X-Files, him playing a character who didn't believe in aliens was/still is highly amusing to me.

Nolan North's also in the game too in one of his very early roles, as one of your squad mates. He may have been called McCann maybe, but it's been around 7 or 8 years since I last played it so I could be wrong about his name. You'll know him when you hear him though.

Top Bottom