• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Safe CPU Temperatures for Overclocking?

I just started messing with my motherboard (ASUS P4P800 Deluxe) automatic OCing controls. After OCing my P4 3.2Ghz 5% to 3.37Ghz, the CPU temperature rose from 38-39 degrees C/99 degrees F to over 41 degrees C/110 degrees F. Anyone know what a safe temperature range is? How far can I reasonably push my current setup without needing a hardcore cooling solution (currently my case is cooled with 2 intake/2 exhaust fans)?

Thaedolus

Psh, I don't know about you, but when my CPU is overclocked, it idles at just under 49, and jumps to almost 60 when under a load. It's not much less than when it's at stock speeds though.

Thaedolus

My shut off is set for 75 degrees C, so I've still got room to spare. I was exaggerating when I said it gets up to 60, the most I think I've seen is 55-56. If it starts getting around 65+, it's set to start beeping and warn me. So that's how I've been operating, if my CPU goes out a couple years early, oh well. It'll be time to buy a new one anyway...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Depends on the CPU.

Some are at about 30 degrees at stock speed, like the P4 Northwood 800 FSB.

Then there's the P4 Prescott 800 FSB that'll run at about 50 degrees at stock speed.

You generally want to keep it below 65 load.

Cutley

Banned
I have my xp2100 (1.73ghz) overclocked to 2.2ghz and under load it's in the 60's. Its been running fine like that for ages. I have a big volcano cooler on it though.

Top Bottom