• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeOnEdge

Banned
yeah yeah yeah so what i like to watch these schoolgirls fight off vilians. sailor moon owns. especially the american themesong. anyway, i'm looking to buy the series and there are 2 or more availible on DVD. which is the american series? Theres sailor moon, sailor moon S and some other ones. help!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mooooooooon.
Crystal.
Pooooooower!!!!

G-d. I'm so ashamed. I used to watch that and Conan on the WB every morning before class back when I was in high school.

Whoa! someone else who likes Sailor Moon. Uh... I taped all the episodes I could (back in 1996 or something like that), and my cousin taped the more recent ones on cable.

There's also Super S where there are those Amazons. R is where the Doom Tree comes around. S is defiately my favorite one with Eugial and Dr. Tomoe (sp?).

I did a quick Amazon search. Hope this helps.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...89103/sr=18-1/ref=sr_18_1/102-2349721-3984122
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...URPRKUSP/ref=cm_bg_guides/102-2349721-3984122

belgurdo

Banned
pict31.jpg

Driving reason why I used to watch the series every day for a year when it debuted in the US, shitty localization or no

BeOnEdge

Banned
i used to watch it every morning in high school too. so is the localized series availible on DVD? edit, thanks eggplanyt. looks like i want the ADV ones. i saw the boxed sets at best buy. glad i didnt pick em up. they were 109 each.

belgurdo said:
Driving reason why I used to watch the series every day for a year when it debuted in the US, shitty localization or no
Hmm... yeah... but I always liked Venus better for some reason... :p

Anyway, in a related matter, I think the torrents for the Sailor Stars fansubs are still around, and it's worth watching. The mini-arc at the beginning of Stars is really great; I always liked the story arcs better than the "bad guy of the week" episodes.

OmniGamer

I was ADDICTED to this back in '95-'96...i'm so pissed Cartoon Networks "revival" was so shortlived, instead showing 18hrs of Dragon Ball Z and Scooby Doo. Anyway, the voice acting for Queen Beryl was so perfect!

lordmrw

I used to watch it every morning too, when they showed it 5:30 am. Don't know why I was up then either. I think its a shame we more than likely won't get the final season. From everything that I read, it would have rocked.

NotMSRP

These are the ones you saw at Best Buy:
dmn100.jpg
dmn200.jpg

The cheapest price is ~$50. But it's not the horrible localized dub version you saw on US TV. It's the original JP version and has the episodes that were removed from the US version.

These here are the badly localized version that you loved on TV:
dmn001.jpg
dmn002.jpg
dmn003.jpg
dmn004.jpg
dmn005.jpg
dmn006.jpg
dmn007.jpg
dmn008.jpg
dmn009.jpg
dmn010.jpg
dmn011.jpg
dmn012.jpg
dmn013.jpg
dmn014.jpg

Chrono

Banned
heh I never knew what Sailor Moon was.. until this thread.

It looks so cheesy. :p

Go watch One Piece people. ^__^

NotMSRP

Chrono said:
heh I never knew what Sailor Moon was.. until this thread.

It looks so cheesy. :p

Go watch One Piece people. ^__^

Umm, this is more of an "old school" anime. You must be one of the "new school" newbies.

Is there any place where the entire series can be downloaded? I watched Sailor Moon up until about 10 episodes after Queen Beryl is defeated.

ManDudeChild said:
Is there any place where the entire series can be downloaded? I watched Sailor Moon up until about 10 episodes after Queen Beryl is defeated.

What really sucked was that back in the 95'-96', they had spent a whole ton of episodes on the Dark Moon... and they ended right at one of those cliffhanger episodes. We never got to really know how it ended because it wasn't renewed for another season.

nitewulf

how could you not have heard of sailor moon?
cartoon network showed it all the time, not to mention all those merchandise all over the place.

"fighting evil by moonlight...
winning love by daylight..."

damn it was sooooooooo stupid and lame, specially tuxedo mask. yet i used to watch it.
bleh :/

Anyanka

I love this show! I used to watch it on CN back when R was first dubbed and they were hyping it as the lost episodes. I lost interest after S was dubbed. Jupiter is the best!

I still have a toy Moon Wand in my room.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BeOnEdge said:
yeah yeah yeah so what i like to watch these schoolgirls fight off vilians. sailor moon owns. especially the american themesong. anyway, i'm looking to buy the series and there are 2 or more availible on DVD. which is the american series? Theres sailor moon, sailor moon S and some other ones. help!

the season list is....

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SuperS
Saulor Moon Sailor Stars

There is also a movie for the R, S and SuperS series

The first 4 seasons have all been released uncut in the USA. Season 1 and season 2 were released uncu only as a box set. The box set was dicontinued due to licencing issues with Toei. www.rightstuf.com still has them avalible for $50 (They retailed for $100). Season 3 and 4 have been released uncut in individual volumes. Season 3 was just released a few weeks ago in a box set. Season 4's box set will be out soon. There is a box set out with all 3 movies as well.

Season 5 has never (And may never) be released in the USA. Toei sees the kid-friendly view Sailor Moon has in the States and will not allow any company to licence it.

Shouta

I still, to this day, enjoy the R English dub way more than either the dubs that came after it or the subs despite the butchered localization. Wish they had done the seasons following R like the R dub (voice-wsie =|)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Speaking of Sailor Moon, I was lucky at Comic-Con that I almost made it all four days without seeing any 400 lbs Sailor cosplay. Alas as I was leaving I was scarred for life by seeing such a horror in real life.

Shouta said:
I still, to this day, enjoy the R English dub way more than either the dubs that came after it or the subs despite the butchered localization. Wish they had done the seasons following R like the R dub (voice-wsie =|)

Yeah, me too. One of the problems for S and SS other was that some of the original cast were doing other things at the time, and the big blow was the the voice actress for Serena/Sailor Moon was on maternity leave at the time.

Oddly enough the voice actress for Rei who was absent for the remainder of the R season came back and her replacement replaced the voice actress for Mina/Venus.

Of every season the only constant was Lita/Jupiter's voice.

OmniGamer

eggplant said:
What really sucked was that back in the 95'-96', they had spent a whole ton of episodes on the Dark Moon... and they ended right at one of those cliffhanger episodes. We never got to really know how it ended because it wasn't renewed for another season.

What REALLY sucked was that they showed it OUT OF ORDER after the Beryl episodes.

Mugen

Banned
Sailor Mars owns indeed but I don't really get to watch it as much as I would've liked because I was too busy with Pokemon. :p

Is it true that Sailor Uranus is a lesbian? :)

Mugen said:
Sailor Mars owns indeed but I don't really get to watch it as much as I would've liked because I was too busy with Pokemon. :p

Is it true that Sailor Uranus is a lesbian? :)

Well, Zoicite (sp?) was a guy in the Japanese version, but a girl in America.... IIRC, they don't say anything about Uranus being a lesbian, but I think she's just hot the way she is anyways.

Pachinko

I"m having a hard time deciding if this thread is serious or just a really clever ploy to lure actual fans of this show out of the woodwork to make fun of them.... I was a fan you know when I was 12 and it first aired but eventually I knew better. It's the equivalent of watching Jem or My little pony guys. A show aimed at little girls.

I can almost see watching the live action one, some of those girls arent' bad looking.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pachinko: Yeah, much of getting older is learning how stupid you were before. :/
Well, Zoicite (sp?) was a guy in the Japanese version, but a girl in America.... IIRC, they don't say anything about Uranus being a lesbian, but I think she's just hot the way she is anyways.
Uranus and Neptune are lesbian partners, and there's no way around it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zoycite was a guy rewritten as a girl.

Uranus and Neptune were written at cousins in the US dub, which made it wierd cause they didn't edit out much :p

Fisheye from season 4 was also a guy rewritten as a girl

Few of the random "character of the week" episodes were rewritten one way or another.

This is why toei doesnt want the last season in the USA. beings who masquerade as a boy band who turn into sailors......

Mugen

Banned
lol... I never actually got to see both characters, I only heard about htem. hehe... oh and one more question, how the hell can Tuxedo mask pick Sailor Moon over Sailor Mars if Sailor Mars is teh HOTNESS?!!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mugen said:
lol... I never actually got to see both characters, I only heard about htem. hehe... oh and one more question, how the hell can Tuxedo mask pick Sailor Moon over Sailor Mars if Sailor Mars is teh HOTNESS?!!!
He's damned to an eternity with her from sins of a past life. ;)

Mugen

Banned
Ahh I see... ^_^

And I tried to dl the live-action version of Sailormoon until Sailor Mars appeared but I didn't find her that hot. That's why I stopped watching it since it's also a horrible show. lol.

While I enjoyed the anime a bit, I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as I love the live action series. It's probably one of the few live action Japanese action shows that I can stand to watch without being completely turned off by the campy fights and what not. It's done pretty well, sure the first few episodes look quite campy and silly, but the show has progressed VERY well. The story is quite good, the action is there, each character shows off their personality from the anime well and the actors do a fine job of being hte character. I love it.

I've always labelled Sailor Moon as my sort of "guilty pleasue" due to how many people dislike the show because of what it is. Eh, if people can get passed the fact that it's a girl predominantly about women savig the world without guns but with make up they'll find quite interesting. Plus it's one of the few animes I can treuly enjoy the dub of. Too bad the series came to an end though, and such a sad end as well. :( Ah well, I still have the live action show to keep me going. So far it hasn't disappointed me. (Now where's episode 40 TV-Nihon? >_<)

SaitoH

DarthWufei said:
While I enjoyed the anime a bit, I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as I love the live action series. It's probably one of the few live action Japanese action shows that I can stand to watch without being completely turned off by the campy fights and what not. It's done pretty well, sure the first few episodes look quite campy and silly, but the show has progressed VERY well. The story is quite good, the action is there, each character shows off their personality from the anime well and the actors do a fine job of being hte character. I love it.

I've always labelled Sailor Moon as my sort of "guilty pleasue" due to how many people dislike the show because of what it is. Eh, if people can get passed the fact that it's a girl predominantly about women savig the world without guns but with make up they'll find quite interesting. Plus it's one of the few animes I can treuly enjoy the dub of. Too bad the series came to an end though, and such a sad end as well. :( Ah well, I still have the live action show to keep me going. So far it hasn't disappointed me. (Now where's episode 40 TV-Nihon? >_<)

I agree, but I still find the live action Sailor Moon to be very campy and that's why I like it. Episode 39 being a prime example. I was in tears laughing so hard. What a great show.

^w^

lordmrw

get ready for a big ass spoiler......

the final season has the sailor scouts facing off against Sailor Galaxia, the most powerful Sailor Scout. She's so powerful she can make Sailor Scouts. Countless years ago, she fought and defeated Chaos, but it was to powerful to destroy, so she took it in herself to prevent him from being released. Over the years it began to corrupt her, so in an attempt to prevent total corruption, she sent out her spark (you'll have to excuse me if I don't remember what it really is) to seek help. Sailor Moon is found by a new Sailor Chibi Moon, who follows her around for the entire season. In the final confrontation, every Sailor scout is killed by Galaxia, except for Pluto and Saturn, who were killed by Neptune and Uranus. THey faked switching sides, and to prove their loyalty killed them for increased power. They tried to use their enhanced power to kill Galaxia, but were also killed. Anyway, as Sailor Moon is fighting Galaxia, Chibi Moon is revealed to be Galaxia's missing spark, and using her, she makes Galaxia reject the chaos inside her. Everyone is brough back to life, and Galaxia leaves to repair the damage she wrought throughout the galaxy during the years.
That might not be entirely accurate, as its been years since I've watched those episodes, and I'm going off a very loose memory of them.

lordmrw said:
get ready for a big ass spoiler......

the final season has the sailor scouts facing off against Sailor Galaxia, the most powerful Sailor Scout. She's so powerful she can make Sailor Scouts. Countless years ago, she fought and defeated Chaos, but it was to powerful to destroy, so she took it in herself to prevent him from being released. Over the years it began to corrupt her, so in an attempt to prevent total corruption, she sent out her spark (you'll have to excuse me if I don't remember what it really is) to seek help. Sailor Moon is found by a new Sailor Chibi Moon, who follows her around for the entire season. In the final confrontation, every Sailor scout is killed by Galaxia, except for Pluto and Saturn, who were killed by Neptune and Uranus. THey faked switching sides, and to prove their loyalty killed them for increased power. They tried to use their enhanced power to kill Galaxia, but were also killed. Anyway, as Sailor Moon is fighting Galaxia, Chibi Moon is revealed to be Galaxia's missing spark, and using her, she makes Galaxia reject the chaos inside her. Everyone is brough back to life, and Galaxia leaves to repair the damage she wrought throughout the galaxy during the years.
That might not be entirely accurate, as its been years since I've watched those episodes, and I'm going off a very loose memory of them.

where was tuxedo boy in all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom