• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'San Andreas' video game sales top expectations-EB

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuo...tfh02454_2004-11-09_20-55-44_n09565366_newsml

Tue Nov 9, 2004 03:55 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Specialty video games retailer Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp. (ELBO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) saw sales of "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" increase 70 percent in its first week on the market compared with the last "GTA" game two years ago, the company said on Tuesday.

In its second week, "San Andreas" sold more than 2-1/2 times the units "Vice City" did in its second week in 2002, EB Chief Executive Jeff Griffiths said on Tuesday at the Harris Nesbitt investment conference in New York.

"Vice City" was the best-selling game of 2002, and publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) is counting on the well-reviewed "San Andreas" to lead the industry in 2004.

Few figures are available on how "San Andreas" has done in the United States since its Oct. 26 launch, but in Great Britain and Europe the game broke one-week sales records, according to sales data service Chart-Track as cited by financial analysts.

I'm starting to think that Take-Two undershipped again for their own financial results (we've had countless reports of multiple saleouts at the same store) which could lead to a better number in November. Of course, they did the same thing last year, which allowed them to not drop in sales. (1.5 million in Oct 2002, 1.5 million in Nov 2002).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sorry I didn't come through for you sonycowboy ;)

Everyone phones stories in occasionally :)

GDJustin said:
Sorry I didn't come through for you sonycowboy ;)

Everyone phones stories in occasionally :)

As you probably already know this is coming from the Harris Nesbitt investment conference, which all of the major publishers are presenting at. It should provide alot of news fodder over the next day or two. :D

Have they madea 2nd shipment of them yet? SA shipped more units in its first day than alot of big games ever ship. So i'm wondering if they're going to have a shortage of copies through November.

SolidSnakex said:
Have they madea 2nd shipment of them yet? SA shipped more units in its first day than alot of big games ever ship. So i'm wondering if they're going to have a shortage of copies through November.

Yes. They've shipped subsequent shipments. Retailers schedule out purchases and sometimes have emergency shipments, so some places have had 2 or 3 shipments, while others might be on their fourth and some small percentage probably have gotten only the initial.

But it doesn't have online play! Surely a sequel in a popular franchise cannot sell more copies than its predecessors without online play in this day and age!

Top Bottom