• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Trailer (Jason Reitman's movie about the first episode of SNL)

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The casting combined with the makeup and wardrobe work looks ridiculously good from what was shown.

Reitman has been hit or miss for me - though I admit that I haven't seen a terribly large portion of his body of work.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I'll watch this on streaming, but because Chevy's actor is a deadringer of sorts. Even though he's been a bonafide asshole off the camera.
Hopefully this isn't a circle jerk about Lorne, even if he was instrumental in the success.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
In fact, the earlier SNL episodes on Peacock are the most complete. Lots of the late 80s and 90s episodes are edited down to one or two skits and 30-40min.

Like when Valerie Bertinelli hosted, ALL of the footage of Eddie Van Halen hanging out with the SNL band is gone.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So im watching S1e1 and it is roooouuugghhhh. Basically, SNL started off just how it has been for the next 50 years :p Insurance replacement dad and swapping the state of georgia and Israel had promise though if they let it breathe a bit. Definitely didn't feel like they were winging it though.

And wow, there is a skit about lowering the age of consent to 7 and a hollywood casting agent is trying to butter up a little girl. Ewwwww

Krathoon

Oh, yeah. The 24th episode of season 1 goes to a weird place right at the start. It has a skit about the SNL writers taking advantage of a female intern.

I am surprised that has not been edited out.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Peacock's menu is ass backwards on SNL. It goes in decending order from the end of the season to the start of the season.

I accidentally watched the last episode of the first season.

Krathoon

SNL is 49 years old. I was born the year it started. It is going on it's 50th Anniversary. Hopefully, they will have a special like the 40th.

The 40th kind of sucked though.

Looking through the early episodes is like a walk down memory lane. So many actors I forgot about.

There is even an episode with Drew Barrymore when she was a kid. That was when E.T. came out.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My first memory of SNL was at my uncle and aunt's Christmas party where I just went into their bedroom to watch TV on their huge wooden furniture style TV set.

I was about 7 or 8 years old (So 1975 or 1976) and I remember just lying on top of all the guests fur coats on the bed watching and being sort of mesmerized 😆

I understood I was watching something original and different.

I will definitely check that movie out.

Krathoon

There are Dudley Moore, Shelly Duval, and Robin Williams episodes that are probably worth watching.

Also, you have all the Steve Martin and George Carlin episodes.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Lorne is SNL though. It’s been proven when Lorne wasn’t involved the show nearly died.
Ugh, I know that, but didn't know SNL nearly died without him, although, I would argue, SNL hasn't really been funny since maybe a few years after Phil Hartman died.
There was some stuff here and there, but a lot of it felt cringe. I would say... around the time Trump took office, it took a serious nosedive in quality and humor in general.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ugh, I know that, but didn't know SNL nearly died without him, although, I would argue, SNL hasn't really been funny since maybe a few years after Phil Hartman died.
There was some stuff here and there, but a lot of it felt cringe. I would say... around the time Trump took office, it took a serious nosedive in quality and humor in general.

He left the show in the 80s. It was so bad he had to come back and save it, then we got the legendary 90s cast.

Krathoon

The quality of the show began dropping in the 40th season. They need more characters and absurd humor. The 90s cast was all about that.

Top Bottom