• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers returning PS3s to stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, what happened to the Sony Defense Force? They just caved completely over the past few weeks. I haven't seen SolidsnakeX here for a while. I guess just about everyone got off the PS3 express faster than Billy Zane getting off a sinking ship.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Joe Molotov said:
My local Hastings had a stack of about 12-15 Mario Kart DS bundles that had been there forever, and I noticed the entire stack vanished about a week ago.

My DS Lite's hinge is cracked and I don't want to hunt down a replacement OR fork out the cash to replace it.

soundwave05 said:
Man, what happened to the Sony Defense Force? They just caved completely over the past few weeks. I haven't seen SolidsnakeX here for a while. I guess just about everyone got off the PS3 express faster than Billy Zane getting off a sinking ship.
Don't make me mockingly post your name and tag in response to such idiocy.

Link316

Banned
soundwave05 said:

what's there to defend? I find these stories of how retailers are now suddenly accepting returns beyond the 30 day policy to be very interesting

KTallguy

Banned
soundwave05 said:

They're probably playing Resistance.

Or GT:HD demo.

Or Motorstorm demo.

Or NBA2K7, Madden, etc.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Joe Molotov said:
My local Hastings had a stack of about 12-15 Mario Kart DS bundles that had been there forever, and I noticed the entire stack vanished about a week ago.
Blue DS Phat is #1 video game product on the amazon charts...

KTallguy said:
They're probably playing Resistance.

Or GT:HD demo.

Or Motorstorm demo.

Or NBA2K7, Madden, etc.

It's funny they had no problem showing up here even when the PS2 had like 10x better of a library (of full games, not demos).

soundwave05 said:
It's funny they had no problem showing up here even when the PS2 had like 10x better of a library (of full games, not demos).

I think you're confusing folks who enjoy their PS3's (in many threads) with folks who feel the need to defend the PS3 against each issue brought against it.

I really hope this SDF, XDF BS blows over someday soon.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
soundwave05 said:
Almost exactly my thoughts actually.
sonycowboy said:
I think you're confusing folks who enjoy their PS3's (in many threads) with folks who feel the need to defend the PS3 against each issue brought against it.

I really hope this SDF, XDF BS blows over someday soon.
I think it was just directed at this lame list attempt.

For whatever reason I think Nintendo and Microsoft have the more loyal "hardcore" faithful fans. The Sony crowd falls to the wayside when the going gets a little tough.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
soundwave05 said:
We have to fight the war on so many fronts these days, we're spread thin.

LJ11

soundwave05 said:
For whatever reason I think Nintendo and Microsoft have the more loyal "hardcore" faithful fans. The Sony crowd falls to the wayside when the going gets a little tough.

You're right on the money. I can't believe Sony fans aren't on GAF arguing with soundwave. What a pathetic bunch of losers.

Krowley

neojubei said:
so if a store gets 10-15 ps3s and about 9-10 are sold in one day but the rest took maybe a week to sell, is that a bad thing? I doubt Ps3 are on the shelf for a few weeks, that too much for a leap even for GAF. My friend has been looking for a ps3 and i have been helping him and i couldn't find one.

yes, i think that is a bad thing. If they were getting 100 ps3's and only sold 60 or so, i wouldn't think anything about it. It's late in the christmas season and it's an expensive item. I would chalk it up to poor early shipments and people being strained in the wallet because of the time of year...

But...

wii is selling out within hours with shipments the same size and if ps3's aren't.. it could be the first proof that price is gonna be a big issue with the system.

That's no big surprise to most people, but there are some here on GAF that think the sony name is a bigger factor.

In the past, name brands and loyalty have never been decisive in a console race. Things like price and releasing early and software selection have been more important. Some people think brand affiliation is so huge with sony that they can get away with anything and still get a majority market share.

So by that logic, ps3 would sell out as fast as wii'. even with the higher price point..

edit// Keep in mind...

this is purley a sales-age issue. It doesn't really mean the ps3 is doomed, but it might mean that the price is really a limiting factor that overules name brand or anything else.

the general logic has been...

"sony's tiny shipments are the only thing holding ps3 back"

but if they can't even sell out on tiny shipments, obviously that's a very different issue.

there is no proof either way at this point.

LJ11

Krowley said:
In the past, name brands and loyalty have never been decisive in a console race. Things like price and releasing early and software selection have. Some people think brand affiliation is so huge with sony that they can get away with anything and still get a majority market share, so by that logic, ps3's would sell out as fast as wii's.

Couldn't have said it better. People buy quality, not names. Unless you're some kind of drone that is.

Aisenherz

Banned
soundwave05 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol NO!

xaosslug

ManaByte said:
Well there were about 10 or so while I was there. I asked the manager about it (as he was pissed off at scalpers at the Wii launch) and he explained to me that they have had about 20 or so people by noon coming back and he recognized most of them from launch. He said he was turning them away and telling them to come back over the next few days.They could easily resell them (Fry's = Forever Returning Your Stuff), but with all of the post-Christmas returns it was too much for today.

was this all just so you could come back and post all about it on GAF, or did you personally care?

soundwave05 said:

:lol

would that really be something to boast about? Where do you fit in?

:lol I hope your LOL at the MS comment, because everyone knows NINfans are the most loyal. BTW -->look at teamxbox, IMO no playstation only site comes close to users.

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:

The whole "Defense Force" meme has worn out its welcome months ago. But this is particularly pathetic. Take a break

Krowley

Scottlarock said:
:lol I hope your LOL at the MS comment, because every knows NINfans are the most loyal. BTW -->look at teamxbox, IMO no playstation only site comes close to users.

N-fans are the most loyal because they have the longest history available to them and all the best stuff is first party.

I used to be a sega fan more than a nintendo fan, but nintendo is the only hardware company left that has enough history to make me loyal.

I know that shiggy will make sure that nintendo's first party games are worth buying a system for. As long as he is a primary influence on the software from nintendo, i will expect them to release games that make a system purchase worthwhile.

Most of my favorite xbox games from last gen are 3rd party.. same with the ps2, with the exception of god of war, i haven't been all that impressed with sony's first party efforts. when it comes to 3rd party games.. it's a crapshoot. You have to believe with an absolute certainty that your console of choice will end up being the market leader. With first party games you get a little bit of a gaurentee.

edit// i know with an absolute certainty that the next console versions of mario, metroid and zelda will be on the wii (or some nintendo console)... With sony's lineup, it's more difficult to predict. The series' that have made the playstation name big are all up for grabs to the market leader.

Krowley said:
N-fans are the most loyal because they have the longest history available to them and all the best stuff is first party.

I used to be a sega fan more than a nintendo fan, but nintendo is the only hardware company left that has enough history to make me loyal.

I know that shiggy will make sure that nintendo's first party games are worth buying a system for. As long as he is a primary influence on the software from nintendo, i will expect them to release games that make a system purchase worthwhile.

Most of my favorite xbox games from last gen are 3rd party.. same with the ps2, with the exception of god of war, i haven't been all that impressed with sony's first party efforts. when it comes to 3rd party games.. it's a crapshoot. You have to believe with an absolute certainty that your console of choice will end up being the market leader. With first party games you get a little bit of a gaurentee.
I couldn't really tell by your post, but I agree with you. Nfans are the most loyal, with MS/Sony fans in the far rear, but MS leading.

ManaByte

Gold Member
xaosslug said:
was this all just so you could come back and post all about it on GAF, or did you personally care?

No, I just like to see scalpers not getting their payday on eBay and trying to make some funny excuse to return the system they bought to scalp.

X26 said:
Buy console for $600
Try to sell for huge profit
Suceed -> $$$
Fail -> Get your $600 back

In the end the douchebags still come out unscathed :/

Well, they never get the days they waited in line back. Nor their dignity (if they ever had any).

xaosslug

Scottlarock said:
I couldn't really tell by your post, but I agree with you. Nfans are the most loyal, with MS/Sony fans in the far rear, but MS leading.

i think y'all've confused "loyalty" with "insanity". I'd say Playstation fans are the more mentally stable, and least emotionally involved of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom