• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screencheat |OT| Everyone's a Cheater (splitscreen FPS,4p local/online, PC,Mac,Linux

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
wkNovAq.gif

www.screencheat.com
Developer: Samurai Punk

Screen cheating. Screen looking. Screen peeking. During the golden age of 90's splitscreen gaming the simple act of looking at your friends corner of the screen has been called many things, usually starting with a curse word. With the popularity of online console gaming skyrocketing last generation, screen looking had become a thing of the past... until now!

lb8b4Wj.gif

Screencheat is a local and online 4 player splitscreen FPS inspired by N64 games like Goldeneye. Players can see each others view point but with a twist: everyone is invisible. To find out where your opponent is you'll have to look at their portion of the screen. Areas are color coded so you instantly know where they are. When a weapon is used there are effects like smoke or flames that can give you a hint at where they are on your own screen too. SC has 8 unique weapons, 5 maps, and 5 game modes. You can also combine local and online multiplayer, like 2 people on the same computer and 2 randoms online.

Videos

Launch Trailer
Game Grumps Steam Train Playthrough

For PC, Mac, and Linux. The game is currently $13.49 (10% off till Oct. 28) on Steam or the Humble Bundle Store. A 4-pack is available too if you want to buy for your friends.

Steam
Humble Store

Also gaffer -Winnie- is part of the development team!

Bumping this for great justice. This game is the real deal guys. Whether it's playing locally or online this is some of the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer FPS in years. Tons of new and unique modes and weapons with more on the way. I cannot recommend this game enough.

Would anybody be interested in helping me organize a GAF tournament?

superbank

-Winnie- was an artist on it, I believe.

Cool thanks. I'll add that to the OP. Great job Winnie, I like all of the weird player models and decorations.

Bumping this for great justice. This game is the real deal guys. Whether it's playing locally or online this is some of the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer FPS in years. Tons of new and unique modes and weapons with more on the way. I cannot recommend this game enough.

Would anybody be interested in helping me organize a GAF tournament?

Yup it's really awesome. I love getting a snipe from across the map like "yeah, I know EXACTLY where you are". I suppose I could help with a tournament if it's this weekend or something, after that though I dunno.

The idea is very cool. I hope the netcode is good.

Netcode seems fine from my limited playtime. There is a trade that happened a few times I've noticed, where me and the other player kill eachother when I thought I killed him first. I was using the Blunderbuss while they used the charge attack Hobby Horse. This is good if anything though, it means the game acknowledges what happened from both players perspectives unlike a game like COD which always let the host win.

superbank

Played some more today and tried more weapons. Very fun games.

The candelabra is pretty difficult to use. Players will usually see my from a mile away and hit me with their long range weapon before I can get close enough. I suppose if you were really good and knew the map layout you could just constantly look at the floor/wall while moving and when you know someone is close just start swinging.

Car engine is definitely for confined spaces only.

The bear bomb seemed to move around randomly. Is there a way to control it? Would be cool if it went where you pointed or if it followed your last stick/WASD input.

The crossbow seems too complicated without a payoff, I'm probably not using it right.

Hobby horse can definitely punish a missed shot. Also can move around the map faster.

With the grenade launcher you can get some cool bounce kills without putting yourself at risk.

Revolver rifle will probably be the best at top level play. If you were 100% accurate you'd get 4 quick kills with a slightly long reload time.

Blunderbuss is definitely the best weapon for new players. A good spread and can hit far off targets too.

I was playing against a good player and I didn't factor in the lag. As I said before it seems like the game accepts what happens from both players points of view. There is no host advantage. I was host and at the bottom of a ramp not in line of sight with a player who was hiding behind a wall at the top of the ramp. He was waiting to pop out when I came up so I went up just a little bit and back down quickly to bait him to move. He didn't seem to move. When I was in a safe position he then popped out and shot me somehow. So on his screen he probably reacted right when I came up.

Dryk

I played this at AVCon a few months ago. It was pretty fun so I'll definitely add it to the local multiplayer rotation I'm trying to get going. It's always nice to see more games coming from Australian developers too.

Gaz_RB

I played this with a few people on here a month or two ago. It was fun for a bit, but got boring after a while.

Top Bottom